Uptick in Disturbances - What’s you Opinion?

So how does getting kicked off at a port work?  I know Mexican immigration is different for taking a cruise versus landing in Cozumel.  Mexico also refuses entry to some with criminal records ( I know people that have to denied after landing and have seen others being led back to a gate).

Plus, Mexico usually does not allow entry unless you have a return ticket to leave.

Certainly the US would not allow these people to disembark if the situation was reversed.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, westwingjazz said:

My opinion is cruise lines needs deterrents, like you get put off in the country you started the occurrence in or on the next port. For example, imagine getting put off in Haiti 🇭🇹 and having to find your way back to the states.

Would other countries even allow people to be put off for that reason?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I've only read of 2 incidents. It seems like a over reaction to demand cruiselines do something to make people behave better. The whole country is having incidents. Crime is up on land. Not surprising its spilled over a bit. 

That’s been the 2 most recent that we’re big enough to make the news. There are plenty of others that have happened. Giving that crime is up in other places doesn’t mean we should expect it or let it happen on a ship. Cruise lines do need to do something about it!

People have been coming out of lockdown for a long time and some never went in. That’s no excuse. There have been fights even before lockdown. It’s just trashy lowlifes who were never taught any manners.

3 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I think it’s just a matter of the world coming out of a lockdown.

People just letting their hair down a celebrating their lives coming back to normal.

As with all things in life, some are just pushing it too hard. out of lockdown

• Like 3

If people can't behave properly onboard, putting them off the ship is a perfectly fair punishment.  

Thinking this through, though I may not understand it ... the ship stops at an island, and everyone gets off.  The fighters-in-question get off; they just happen to have suitcases.  I don't see how the country in question has any option to refuse them.  

If they're confined to a room, the cruise line has to post someone in the hall to guard them.  Maybe send them a bill later?

Off-topic:  We saw a family put off the ship once.  Their teenagers threw deck chairs overboard, which is a very big deal to ocean life and can bring huge fines to the cruise line.  I heard the family was banned for life too.  They were on camera, so they couldn't deny it.  

• Like 3

I haven't heard anything about fining those involved or making them pay for any damage.  Has anything been mentioned about that?  I think fining those people would make a good impression on them.  Also a couple of hours locked in the brig on board might make them realize that there are repercussions for their actions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Except for the idea of  US Cruise Marshalls, Hiring Former Retired Marines to run your ships security program,Training and equiping your security Teams with proper gear...Etc...To explain the real reason for these "incidents" would in the current climate get me banned from Cruise Critic...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I dont buy, the letting hair down after covid lockdown excuse or the drinking too much or the cheaper 3 day cruise rubbish. Millions of people have been in lockdown, millions drink and millions cruise all without fighting. Sadly there are people in life who just fight and cause trouble, and have unsavoury beliefs. Just kick them off boats like the airlines do and ban them for life. I am sure most countries the cruise ships visit have arrangements in place for this.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, westwingjazz said:

Just to be clear, I don’t think he is equating low budget to lowlifes. What we can agree on is there are lowlifes out there right??? And the affordable prices MAY attract “some trouble makers”….to be honest we are all on a budget, a paycheck or two from poverty…if not, we would be ALL be on world cruises or sail our own boats. So don’t take it personal and please stay on topic 🙏🏾….please and thank you. 

"...to be honest we are all on a budget, a paycheck or two from poverty…"

Huh?  If that were the case the last thing I would do is spend money on a cruise.    

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I've only read of 2 incidents. It seems like a over reaction to demand cruiselines do something to make people behave better. The whole country is having incidents. Crime is up on land. Not surprising its spilled over a bit. 

I don't think the OP demanded anything.  They stated an opinion that physical violence should be addressed with severe consequences.  I agree and perhaps it needs to be addressed more seriously on land too.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PTAngel said:

I haven't heard anything about fining those involved or making them pay for any damage.  Has anything been mentioned about that?  I think fining those people would make a good impression on them.  Also a couple of hours locked in the brig on board might make them realize that there are repercussions for their actions.

The cruise line does not have the ability to fine people. The smoking in your stateroom fine is spelled out in your cruise contract. But not for other infractions. I do agree that everyone involved should be (disembarked) and banned from future sailings. 

And at least in California. I think people are just stressed. We have had awful restrictions for the last three years. It doesn't excuse anyone's behavior, but people (in general) seem to be really edgy here. That in no way excuses the behavior of that disgusting fight that was shown on Navigator. 

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Huh?  If that were the case the last thing I would do is spend money on a cruise.    

Totally agree. I don’t think most people on here are a paycheck or two from poverty. Guess there are some that don’t know how to handle money.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

Regardless of how much one makes, many people live way above their means, millionaires have gone bankrupt, people with huge medical bills they can’t afford to pay even though they make a good salary…. I could go on. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I dont buy, the letting hair down after covid lockdown excuse or the drinking too much or the cheaper 3 day cruise rubbish. Millions of people have been in lockdown, millions drink and millions cruise all without fighting. Sadly there are people in life who just fight and cause trouble, and have unsavoury beliefs. Just kick them off boats like the airlines do and ban them for life. I am sure most countries the cruise ships visit have arrangements in place for this.

I didn’t read that post as excusing the behavior or otherwise giving a moral pass . Just because some people have a lower threshold for losing control doesn’t mean it’s ok to do so. The poster was stating a cause, not an excuse. Cause and blame are two different things. 

23 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Regardless of how much one makes, many people live way above their means, millionaires have gone bankrupt, people with huge medical bills they can’t afford to pay even though they make a good salary…. I could go on. 

I agree that many people live above their means, but I would not lump huge medical bills into that category.

People have a choice to buy specific items, but no one has a choice in their medical condition or to be diagnosed with a medical disease. If I had a choice, I certainly would not have chosen my life-threatening medical diagnosis.   Thankfully I am able to afford good medical insurance/care, but others might not have that option.   

it was very sad to see the fights  on the Royal Caribbean and carnival cruise ships.  

m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I agree that many people live above their means, but I would not lump huge medical bills into that category.

People have a choice to buy specific items, but no one has a choice in their medical condition or to be diagnosed with a medical disease. If I had a choice, I certainly would not have chosen my life-threatening medical diagnosis.   Thankfully I am able to afford good medical insurance/care, but others might not have that option.   

it was very sad to see the fights  on the Royal Caribbean and carnival cruise ships.  

m

I didn’t mean it that way, I meant an injury that was unexpected that if one didn’t have sufficient medical insurance, even though they had a stable job, they would be left with a hefty bill. I’m sorry for your medical diagnosis.

Interesting insights, and I guess not surprised this is happening.  Just came over to this board for some preplanning tips.  Most recently sailed on Princess cruise where I witnessed a pretty intense confrontation poolside. Did not get physical fortunately.  In our 2 recent Princess cruises it was noticeable that there were some “interesting” people onboard. Wondering if some cruise lines or experiences [NCL retreat, MSC Yacht club]  offers a better cruise vacation.   I would rather forfeit a deposit than have to skip dessert due to a brawl breaking out in the MDR. 

2 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I think I may see your point.  Disaster can befall anyone.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

The question asked was WHY, could this happen. I offered an opinion. Nobody said it was an excuse for it to happen.

I have seen passengers confined to inside cabin with 24-hour guard.

I've heard of passengers being handed over to local police at a port.

I've noticed that many of a ship's security personnel appear to be Israeli Special Forces, Ghurkas, or similar (hardly amateurs or sissies).

I'd be interested to hear from a genuine expert, such as Cheng, re what options there are for incidents such as these.

• Like 1

Personally, I don’t trust that cruise line security is adequately trained to properly investigate all aspects of a cruise ship fight. Yes, I’m okay with confining passengers to their staterooms, but using the determinations of cruise security to disembark, in a foreign country, all “involved” would likely end with many incidents and the cruise line in the court system.  Things are not always as they seem. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I didn’t mean it that way, I meant an injury that was unexpected that if one didn’t have sufficient medical insurance, even though they had a stable job, they would be left with a hefty bill. I’m sorry for your medical diagnosis.

Yes, often medical care can take a toll on  family finances.  Thank  you for your understanding. 

M