Elite Perk -- Laundry Question

Italy52

We just turned Elite on one of our cruises.  Looking at the perks I understand that we are entitled to complementary laundry service.  Would someone please explain to me how this perk works?  Do we stuff a bag full of laundry?  Are there limitations on how much laundry we can have done?  Thanks in advance for your help.

There is no limit.  We are careful not to send out anything that can be damaged by high heat.  The more sensitive items we wash ourselves.

Also, if you happen to be on a voyage with a high number of Elite passengers, it can take up to 3 days to have your laundry returned.

You can do it every day if you want. Put the clothes you want done in a bag

that's in the room. Can ask for more if needed. Room Steward will take. Of course, you have to 

figure when you can send the last one to get before leaving the ship.

Usually takes three days (could be shorter) if lots of Elites could take longer. (Sometimes say seven)

Edited by Belle
  • Thanks 1

One other thing, on the slip you fill out I always write “elite”and NC where you fill in the cost.  You will see a charge for the laundry on your account and then they automatically take the charge off. (I was writing at the same time as beagles and ducks., but basically same info)

Edited by topspot
Clarification
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was once told by a HGM (Hotel General Manager) that it does not matter what you write on the receipt as to being Elite.  The Laundry Dept charges your account and the onboard accounting system will recognize your Elite status and refund the charge on your statement.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I like to send out items every couple of days instead of trying to send too many things at once. But if you need extra bags and slips, just ask your cabin steward for more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

We have never had laundry returned more than 3 days after sending it out.

Our record was 4 days (there was a note in the cabin upon embarkation saying that it would  possibly take 3 days) on a 25 day B2B Rome - Barcelona - Fort Lauderdale on the Royal Princess with more than 1200 other elites IIRC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

I was once told by a HGM (Hotel General Manager) that it does not matter what you write on the receipt as to being Elite.  The Laundry Dept charges your account and the onboard accounting system will recognize your Elite status and refund the charge on your statement.

The ships really vary.  Lol

We put 0 on the amount and Elite.  
But, anyway it ends up free.  Our record was 3 days.  Many elites OB.

• Thanks 1

We send every few days up until about three days before we disembark. We fill out the slip and place it in the bag(s), and place the bag(s) on the bed for the cabin steward.  No limit. You may wish to take a photo of the slip so you have a record of what you sent. Laundry is returned all pressed, and folded. It is the best benefit, especially for longer voyages and b2b's.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Who does that --- something I would never do.

Yes hard to believe.   When you have been on Cruise Critic long enough you read it all. ☺️

1 hour ago, Jadn13 said:

Pro Tip: Take a picture of your itemized laundry slip/your pile of laundry so you can keep track of anything that may go missing. . 

Yes, great tip.

Because if something does go missing a picture will help your room steward find the item.  It happened to me once and when I mentioned to my steward I had a picture of the missing item his eyes lit up.  A day or so later he found the missing item.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, symui said:

Yes, great tip.

Because if something does go missing a picture will help your room steward find the item.  It happened to me once and when I mentioned to my steward I had a picture of the missing item his eyes lit up.  A day or so later he found the missing item.

Also, take a photo of your luggage before you hand it to the porters when getting on the ship. It's hard to describe most bags should it never make it to the cabin. - better yet use AirTag or Smart Tag. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Also, take a photo of your luggage before you hand it to the porters when getting on the ship. It's hard to describe most bags should it never make it to the cabin. - better yet use AirTag or Smart Tag. 

We always travel with a picture of our luggage on our phones just in case the airlines misplace our bags --- which has happened before.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Italy52 said:
5 hours ago, Italy52 said:

And please only do your own laundry.   You cannot add your friends. 😏

Who does that --- something I would never do.

I add the kids laundry. And I don't feel bad. But 1 is now elite and the others are platinum. I like to be sure it all comes back

Even better:: FYI the newest ships have free laundry. I can cold wash / cool dry. Took under 20 minutes in dryer but only asst laundry & 3 pr jeans. About 45 min total and nothing damaged

I was on Discovery Princess and it was FREE free. No slot for those coins. Detergent, softener sheets on a shelf. My steward who had been on the Enchanted Princess said it was free there too. (I'm not on that ship for a few weeks so I can't vouch for it). If I can get breakfast delivered, start laundry, finish breakfast, & put clean laundry away .... all's good. I've had clothes damaged in their hot water (blue socks bleached beige / jean skirt with splotchy bleach stains)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NavyCruiser said:

We're Platinum on Carnival, & love this perk.

But we're just Gold, going on Ruby, on our next Princess cruise, any slight chance for this perk...?

Short answer: No

Long Answer: Nope

Edited by CineGraphic
  • Haha 1