CDC Issues The New Guidance for Cruise Ships on the Mitigation and Management of COVID-19

2 minutes ago, cruisefan0110 said:

Everyone keeps talking about CDC suggestions/recommendations. That’s all fine.  It what happens after the first outbreak on a ship. The news media would be all over it. Public opinion goes viral against cruising and things go back to square one. The ships are full. People are complaining  but following the rules. How many topics on here talked about lying on the health questionnaire. That would return in a minute. I, for one, am okay with the current procedures. Just my 2 cents. 

The media would be all over it even if people had to test every 10 minutes while on board. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Michael Bayley hinted last month that the end of testing was coming. I can't imagine they'd suddenly say "oh we better keep testing" because the CDC still recommends it.  It's not like anyone was surprised by the "new" guidance.

Agree, it's not if it's when Testing will end

• Like 2

7 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Michael Bayley hinted last month that the end of testing was coming. I can't imagine they'd suddenly say "oh we better keep testing" because the CDC still recommends it.  It's not like anyone was surprised by the "new" guidance.

He more than hinted.  He answered a question about it and said a couple of months.

6 hours ago, molly361 said:

I just emailed this to Michael Bayley😇🤣

I'm pretty sure he already knew.   They all talk to each other and were supposed to meet a couple of days ago.

I don't understand the need for testing at this point. Almost all cruisers are crammed in airport security and airplanes with no mask requirements. Feels like half the cruisers would have to cancel, even if they don't have symptoms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisefan0110 said:

Everyone keeps talking about CDC suggestions/recommendations. That’s all fine.  It what happens after the first outbreak on a ship. The news media would be all over it. Public opinion goes viral against cruising and things go back to square one. The ships are full. People are complaining  but following the rules. How many topics on here talked about lying on the health questionnaire. That would return in a minute. I, for one, am okay with the current procedures. Just my 2 cents. 

There are lots of outbreaks on ships right now.  You just don't hear about them and the media doesn't report them.

Just now, ECCruise said:

There are lots of outbreaks on ships right now.  You just don't hear about them and the media doesn't report them.

We need to be cautious using the term “outbreak.” Most people use it inappropriately. People catching Covid is not an outbreak. That’s 2022. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm pretty certain that the federal government also highly recommends that people drink only a small amount, eat a healthy, low-calorie diet and exercise regularly.  Have the cruise lines paid any attention to this? 🤣

That’s a good point. The state dept issues travel advisories for nearly every island in the Caribbean that cruise ships visit and that doesn’t even get mentioned here or anywhere else. Trust me, I’m more worried about being robbed in Freeport than catching the rona in the Windjammer.

Chances are that a favorite Caribbean port is a scary place. Go search it here. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

We need to be cautious using the term “outbreak.” Most people use it inappropriately. People catching Covid is not an outbreak. That’s 2022. 

A whole deck and a section of a second deck of quarantined passengers and crew sounds like an outbreak to me.

Especially when the total passenger load is less than 200.

3 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

Covid isn't a politically convenient topic anymore, so no, the first time there's an outbreak we won't see the media cover it.

They are moving on to their next hysteria - monkey pox.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

Testing will be not required soon enough. Heck, they may even do away with the vaccination policy altogether....my employer did based on the current guidelines. We've had people sitting at home on unpaid leave since end of February....all came back this week. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, exm said:

Looks like testing will go. Maybe they'll leave it in place for unnvaccinated passenger (at this point, that's childeren under 12).

I can see that as a real possibility. I looked at all the Caribbean and North America destinations and only two required pre-embarkation testing ( Bermuda and I other that I now can't remember) A couple did specify that no testing was required for vaccinated individual,  but was for unvaccinated.  Again, bring out the purple and green bracelets and place them on the ones that required testing.

Condemn me if you must but at least testing prevents those with Covid knowingly going on a cruise and exposing a couple thousand people “because it’s my vacation”.  There are some people that have no consideration for others if it inconveniences them. Although I do believe that is the exception not the rule.

Testing IS an inconvenience and I totally agree that likely more than half of the passengers arrive in a Petri dish aka as an airplane lol so even though they tested negative 2 days prior could still spread the virus.  

But if we can all just do our part to at least try and contain the virus until it subsides (numbers are way up again, according to the media 🙄) and I personally know multiple people who have it, had it, or know someone who has it so I do think there’s some truth in it, even though the symptoms and consequences are much milder than it was the first two strains.  We just had it a month ago for the first time and we are vaxxed and boosted. Anyway, if taking a test can prevent someone else from getting it or spreading it to multiple people, especially those who may be more vulnerable like my parents who are in their 80s, then take a test. It’s not a big deal.  It takes 15 minutes…but I know the ones who still think this is a hoax and testing and vaccines are a waste of time.  We’re all entitled to our own opinion.  😁. So that’s mine lol!

We cruise in 2 weeks (3rd one since February) and will gladly take our tests and will certainly appreciate all the other passengers that do the same!  We are however grateful for no mask mandate!

Happy Crusing!

• Like 3

All I can say is this... and it's just my personal feelings, but if other cruise lines drop restrictions for vaccines and testing, I am going to go to other cruise lines until RCI lifts theirs.

I have a cruise in about 80 days in October and I almost always book another Cruise while I am on my current cruise. I tolerated all this Covid stuff for now because I had no choice... but I absolutely despise it because I really believe that the vast majority of it is just theater that doesn't actually do anything (Think of how the J&J vaccine you got 18 months ago that they say isn't effective at all against Omicron strands which make up 99% of all new infections is still valid). So, with it all just being a waste of time, a waste of money... I am done with RCI cruise booking if someone else opens their door.

Heck, I was ready to cancel my cruise once other lines like NCL ended mask mandates before everyone else, but Royal Caribbean quickly followed suit and also ended them.

Well, we already have several cruise lines announcing the end of Covid tests. Carnival said they are easing up vaccine requirements a bit as well, probably testing the waters for someone else to jump in completely... And like usual, RCI never takes the lead and waits for others to jump first.

I REALLY hope they do as I prefer my RC cruises and the overall vibe/culture of the crew and ships, but it is a total dealbreaker for me to be subjected to this further if others are not going to enforce it.

Just my opinion.

Edited by geneticsguy
IMO
  • Like 10

13 hours ago, Rick-n-Lisa said:

Condemn me if you must but at least testing prevents those with Covid knowingly going on a cruise and exposing a couple thousand people “because it’s my vacation”.  There are some people that have no consideration for others if it inconveniences them. Although I do believe that is the exception not the rule.

Testing IS an inconvenience and I totally agree that likely more than half of the passengers arrive in a Petri dish aka as an airplane lol so even though they tested negative 2 days prior could still spread the virus.  

But if we can all just do our part to at least try and contain the virus until it subsides (numbers are way up again, according to the media 🙄) and I personally know multiple people who have it, had it, or know someone who has it so I do think there’s some truth in it, even though the symptoms and consequences are much milder than it was the first two strains.  We just had it a month ago for the first time and we are vaxxed and boosted. Anyway, if taking a test can prevent someone else from getting it or spreading it to multiple people, especially those who may be more vulnerable like my parents who are in their 80s, then take a test. It’s not a big deal.  It takes 15 minutes…but I know the ones who still think this is a hoax and testing and vaccines are a waste of time.  We’re all entitled to our own opinion.  😁. So that’s mine lol!

We cruise in 2 weeks (3rd one since February) and will gladly take our tests and will certainly appreciate all the other passengers that do the same!  We are however grateful for no mask mandate!

Happy Crusing!

Great post and testing will provide some kind of honesty with passengers. I think the issue is the stress and cost of testing positive just before a holiday. Its ok if your within driving distance of the terminal but when you have to fly and hotel stays testing positive would be terrible, so i can see why people want to drop testing. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

It just shows how out of touch the CDC can be with real life situations. AND giving the cruiselines these "highly recommended" guidelines where some of them are really unachievable...and they know that and put it in there anyway...

You are so right, I think a lot of the US's issues are that govt. agencies are out of touch with real life. I work with several of them in my industry & the inability to grasp how things truly work is astounding.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Rick-n-Lisa said:

Happy Crusing!

Almost all people who don’t think testing is needed (add to this those who prefer to forgo vaccination) don’t believe it is a “hoax”.  That is a false argument and honestly I don’t even know if you know what that means.    That terminology is a made up media narrative and it really reduces the strength of any argument one is making.  

It is very reasonable to believe testing should be dropped, but still understand quite well the impacts of Covid on varying elements of society and life in general.  It is also very reasonable to be young and healthy and decide that after getting and going through Covid (before vaccinations were even possible for example or after) that a vaccine is pointless for long term protection. 

Few if any studies have looked at T cell memory and those studies will be what gives us the true story on full immune system protection.  Given the current vaccines don’t stop infection, they need a much better grasp on how prior infection (including which strain), vaccination, as well as the interactions of these two variables (by temporal order).  As it stands now, theory (which has driven almost all guidelines until now and then the data follows) suggests prior infection should be just as good as vaccination to create T cell memory.  For example, they recently tested a 100 year old women’s T cells who survived the 1918 flu as a baby and she still had T cell memory.  

All the immunity testing they have been doing so far (ex. Vaccines give protection for 90-180 days) is in antibodies only.  That is only one aspect of our immune system.  Those are the tests they have been doing because they are easy and inexpensive.  Testing for T cell memory is very expensive relative to antibodies.  Doing it on 1000s of subjects is cost prohibitive.  But now the metrics for even vaccines is reduced severity.  So they need a much better grasp of how prior infection impacts T cell response, which is one of the big immune system components that kicks in and generates antibodies to beat the virus.  They also need a better understanding of how T cell response is impacted by vaccines.  Which one is more robust?   Is one better or worse.  Does having both even matter?   All of this should make a big difference in need for boosters, etc.   

So if we are truly wanting to follow the science (which is another ridiculous statement) we need data on T cell memory too.  Vaccines that don’t prevent infection may have zero value to anyone who has T cell memory from original vaccination or prior infection.  We need data on this to provide guidance and create policy.  Otherwise we are just spitting in the wind and guessing (as we have been doing all this time already as proven by the constant changes in guidance).  We have never been following the science.  We have been chasing the science (data) and have obviously always been several steps behind.  Those in charge never should have talked beyond their data results in hand (which you learn in the first semester of graduate school). Instead they should’ve been much more careful to hedge their suggestions as best scientific guesses based on the behavior of prior viruses.  If they had done that, they would still have the trust of the people.  

I say all of this being vaccinated and if I had a vote I would still prefer pre cruise testing.  Why?   Because I know it catches a least some of the cases which reduces the number of passengers that get it onboard (ie. It ruins less peoples vacation).  But it is very expensive and if they drop it I’m ok with that too.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 5