Just got SCREWED by Royal Up!!!

tink24

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

End result, you're in the room that you booked.  Confusing, yes, disappointed, yes, screwed, no.

P.S.  Was your credit card actually charged or just showing a pending charge?

Agreed, only way this is really screwing someone is if the refund takes more than a couple days. Sucks getting your hopes up, but it's not getting screwed when you are getting exactly what you expected outside of the 5 minutes between emails.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

When they sent an invoice and charged his account for “Cabin B”, it’s a different story. 

But the refund will come. Again, from the original post, it almost seemed like the original room was gone, the upgrade was gone, the bid was gone, and he wasn't going to even be on the boat.

Being in the original room is acceptable.  Getting charged for a room he's not going to get is irritating, but it will be refunded. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

End result, you're in the room that you booked.  Confusing, yes, disappointed, yes, screwed, no.

P.S.  Was your credit card actually charged or just showing a pending charge?

yea they neither gained or lost.  I do not even bother with the Royal UP as I pick the room I want and stay with it.  And I check off not willing to accept upgrade either.

• Like 6

As long as they refund the charge I wouldn’t say you were screwed.   It sounds like a technical glitch.  You have your original room.   

sucks to get all excited, but what do you expect to happen by “escalating” it? Kick someone else out of a cabin you want? 

• Like 4

Had a similar situation not long ago (it was paying for an upgrade rather than bidding).  Was told the suite was available and they were computing the price to upgrade.  That took a bit of time but we were mentally already in the new cabin.  Came back and quoted the price to upgrade, which we accepted immediately.  Unfortunately, when they went to change the booking, the cabin was gone.

So yeah, disappointing, but we ended up with the cabin we booked 18 months previous (and were perfectly happy with) so no real loss.  And we saved the $dough for the upgrade. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yea they neither gained or lost.  I do not even bother with the Royal UP as I pick the room I want and stay with it.  And I check off not willing to accept upgrade either.

Probably a lot of lost time figuring it all out.  So there absolutely was some loss.  Not saying that means they got screwed,

but to say they didn’t lose something is not accurate.  The error necessarily caused them a lot of time to figure out what the heck was going on (independent of getting their hopes up).  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, artvlay said:

The people working at RCL are incompetent and have no idea what they are doing 

But, I love their Large Ships, most of the food, the crew and most of their entertainment.  Their landside operations can kiss .................

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Canadianmama3 said:

As long as they refund the charge I wouldn’t say you were screwed.   It sounds like a technical glitch.  You have your original room.   

sucks to get all excited, but what do you expect to happen by “escalating” it? Kick someone else out of a cabin you want? 

Honestly, they could have offered me a free bottle of water and I would've been cool with it.  The fact that they just didn't seem to give a crap when they clearly screwed up is the frustrating part for me.

Edited by tink24
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ssb said:

Sounds like they assigned you upgrade cabin and some else came in after you and outbid you . And they did not honor your assignment. They probably have contractually right to do it , almost up to last hours before sailing . 
But we shall be watching this unfold . 
Good luck to you . Keep us up to date . 

How did you come up with that assumption?

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

How did you come up with that assumption?

Pure conjecture. The third party contract administration company is in the business to make money. No one will ever know what actually happened except  Royal wins , administrator wins and with only OP disappointment. Sad but feeling screwed. 

Edited by ssb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A little grace on both sides is required here.

The OP has a right to feel screwed.  He followed the instructions and was told one thing, then had it stripped.  Screwed, disappointed....its very disheartening.

RCCL is not incompetent or stupid or any other thing.  They may need to work on their customer service better.

OP - Call Royal Caribbean see about speaking with a Supervisor/Manager.  Send letter to the highest official you can find.  I don't think its likely the 2 bedroom is available, but an explanation is certainly required.

I hope you enjoy your cruise, and while it's not the same, a Junior Suite isn't too shabby.  Bon Voyage.

On 8/5/2022 at 4:57 PM, tink24 said:

I received an email from Royal Up stating that my offer was accepted for the 2 bedroom grand suite.  I was ecstatic!  When I checked my reservation to see what room I was assigned, it still showed my original junior suite.  Within 5 minutes Royal Caribbean sent me 3 emails - one showing that I was now in a one bedroom grand suite, one confirming the 2 bedroom grand suite (that my credit card was charged for), and a third showing my room as my original junior suite.  I called Royal Caribbean to clear up the confusion and was told that my room was no longer available and my other Royal Up bids were now expired.  I asked why they would send me a confirmation and charge my credit card for a room that was not available, but never received any type of reasonable response.  All they would say is that my card would be refunded.  I'm super pissed to say the least.

It looks  like you originally had a suite guarantee. Did you already have your Jr Suite already assigned before you got the royalUP notification or did they all come at once?  I believe I have read of at least one instance where someone got their RoyalUp but then their suite guarantee came through and it bumped them back down again. With a suite guarantee, you agree to accept what is assigned.  I am sorry this happened to you but you did put in for a suite guarantee and you got a suite. 

It does suck if your charge was immediately charged and not put in pending first (never had a credit card do that but yours may be different) especially if it affects your credit limit and limits what you can spend for a few days. Hopefully you had taken that into account that you may be charged for your RoyalUPs and it didn't affect your spending at all.

image.png.9a3b042611e8085f8835edd142115769.png

Edited by cured
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nessa1dc said:

OP - Call Royal Caribbean see about speaking with a Supervisor/Manager.  Send letter to the highest official you can find.  I don't think its likely the 2 bedroom is available, but an explanation is certainly required.

I don’t understand why OP is owed an explanation? They made a mistake saying they got the RoyalUp then immediately corrected it if I’m understanding correctly. I don’t know what anybody thinks speaking to a supervisor is going to accomplish besides a “yeah sorry about that”

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

I don’t understand why OP is owed an explanation? They made a mistake saying they got the RoyalUp then immediately corrected it if I’m understanding correctly. I don’t know what anybody thinks speaking to a supervisor is going to accomplish besides a “yeah sorry about that”

Sometimes..."So very sorry for our mistake" is very simply enough.  Remember...Grace on both sides.  The OP wants to be heard, RCCL hears and apologizes.  OP still disappointed but acknowledged.  That's all most want.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nessa1dc said:

A little grace on both sides is required here.

The OP has a right to feel screwed.  He followed the instructions and was told one thing, then had it stripped.  Screwed, disappointed....its very disheartening.

RCCL is not incompetent or stupid or any other thing.  They may need to work on their customer service better.

I hope you enjoy your cruise, and while it's not the same, a Junior Suite isn't too shabby.  Bon Voyage.

OP bid for a discount on a room, and didn't get it. Now is just stuck in a lowly Jr Suite. Sure the communication gap is less than desired. However, it is far from deserving of empathy. Let's be real here. This is ridiculous.

Having worked with retail and customers for many years, I can't even count how many times I had to argue with people around pending holds, charges, and returns. These things don't process immediately. Very rarely are people "charged" for the things they immediately create a fuss around. If it were me, and I did get charged, I am very certain it would be a non-issue. A simple email almost always fixes these problems.

At first, I thought the OP lost all rooms. That would have been messed up. 

• Like 5

Since another poster wants to assume a higher bid came in at the last second with no evidence , I’ll postulate something totally different with no evidence.   Every now and then we see posts on CC where somebody’s reservation was incorrectly canceled.  Typically they get an email about a on board booking find everything mysteriously canceled and call to get it re-instated.   It is very frustrating and may take hours of customer or TA time.  Bet others have read such threads… not often, but now and then.

So, perhaps something like that happened on to somebody in a GS2 on the OP’s cruise.  While RoyalUp wanted to auction the incorrectly vacated suite, the person  who rightfully belongs in that suite (or their TA) was calling in pointing out the error.  Royal Caribbean placed the occupants back in suite they purchased months ago, the separate company that runs RoyalUp then had to abort their bidding process; the OP on this thread thus stayed in his original JS.

• Like 1