Leaving a cruise early???

A friend and i are looking at the 10-day Fall Foliage cruise for Oct 2023, which leaves from Quebec. We live in Boston. We were thinking about booking the trip, and then only doing the first 8 days.. just getting off in Portland and then not getting back onto the ship. Just hopping onto a train and going home. We would skip Bar Harbor and a sea day, and then not have to worry about transportation from NJ. Anyone ever done anything like this before? The destinations in Canada are really long drives away, and we'd love to see them, but don't have the vacation time needed for the entire 10-day trip.

Thanks!

Royal Caribbean will no longer allow cruise passengers to pre-plan early debark or late embarkation for any of our ships. As many countries continue to enforce travel restrictions, this decision was made in an abundance of caution for the safety and security of our guests."

"Should guests who reserved flights through our Air2Sea program experience delays in air travel that result in missed cruise embarkation, downlining to a future port-of-call remains an option as long as the guest is fully vaccinated and able to show proof of required COVID-19 test results prior to boarding"

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/different-departure-port-city

Edited by little britain

8 minutes ago, kelbell said:

They can't force you to stay.....but will your names be put on the naughty list.....

Emergency do happen, I guess you just don't show your cards....

They can fine you. They can say you cant get off if you show up with a suitcase.

I wouldnt want to find out if they can stop you.

I think "because...COVID" is just an excuse and the real reason RCCL doesn't allow this is because they might lose some onboard spend revenue and have to do extra paperwork.  They will put passengers off in foreign ports for breaking rules or needing medical care, so it's not a "safety" issue.

Having said that, why not just take a 7-night closed-loop cruise out of Boston?  They run those pretty much every week in the fall.

Edited by rudeney
typos
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I think "because...COVID" is just an excuse and the real reason RCCL doesn't allow this is because they might lose some onboard spend revenue and have to do extra paperwork.  They will put passengers off in foreign ports for breaking rules or needing medical care, so it's not a "safety" issue.

Having said that, why not just take a 7-night closed-loop cruise out of Boston?  They run those pretty much every week in the fall.

we did that one already lol.. the ones that go up to Quebec have a bunch of ports we haven't seen, and that are super tough to drive to. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lady_E said:

According to what I read, it's a fee of 300 dollars  and you can be blacklisted from cruising period, sort of like if you get put on a no fly list. 

I don't think its worth the risk. 

I don’t think they would be black listed from cruising period, just black listed from RCI ships. 

2 hours ago, poocher said:

I do not believe this is allowed although I question what they could do about it.

When I had to debark early due to a family emergency late last year I was given paperwork from guest services to present to security when leaving the ship early.  I suppose if you walk off with just a backpack security would not know, but when I approached the gangway with my suitcase it was a pretty good sign I was leaving the ship and the security folks literally got wide eyed as I approached.   Once I handed over my papers authorizing me to leave they relaxed and let me go on my way.  

I suppose you could call the local police and claim you are being held against your will but I suspect once the police appeared and learned what was going on they might not willing to play along.  Ultimately you might get your way and your name added to the list no future cruiser wants their name on.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

When I had to debark early due to a family emergency late last year I was given paperwork from guest services to present to security when leaving the ship early.  I suppose if you walk off with just a backpack security would not know, but when I approached the gangway with my suitcase it was a pretty good sign I was leaving the ship and the security folks literally got wide eyed as I approached.   Once I handed over my papers authorizing me to leave they relaxed and let me go on my way.  

I suppose you could call the local police and claim you are being held against your will but I suspect once the police appeared and learned what was going on they might not willing to play along.  Ultimately you might get your way and your name added to the list no future cruiser wants their name on.  

I would not call the cops; filing a false police report is taken very seriously. 

You can't just get off because you would be skipping immigration and customs. So that would have to be prearranged. That might not even be possible in Portland. Without going through immigration and customs you would be reentering illegally. 

Edited by Charles4515

Pre-Covid my husband & I made arrangements to get on the ship a a different port, and made arrangements to get off in our home port. This needed approval and there were certain rules. Since Covid, they have not been approving this, they said because of Covid and the rules in different ports. You never know, things may change in the future. Good luck and hope things work out for you 🙂

9 hours ago, poocher said:

I do not believe this is allowed although I question what they could do about it.

I don’t think they would just let you carry your bags off in Portland without telling them you were just leaving. 

Back in October had a young woman sailing alone on Celebrity Equinox not happy with the cruise.  She walked off in Barbados and left at least minimal stuff in her cabin.  At the time you couldn't leave the port without a cruise-line excursion.  The country also wasn't allowing anyone to enter via boat/air.  She either met a friend in the port and they managed to get out of the port or she left a cruise snorkeling excursion, never made clear.  Six hours after scheduled departure we were still waiting and ship wasn't allowed to leave without accounting for her.  Police and army eventually found her at friend's house.  She did not get back onboard.  Assume she and friend wound up in jail for violating health laws, entering illegally and helping someone enter illegally.  After midnight when we left.

3 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

I'm not saying to do this but what would prevent someone from feigning a medical emergency (not Covid) and have a need to disembark?  They let people with chest pains and other ailments off or better said, they boot them off. 

If you have chest pains they are going to run a whole battery of tests. They are fully equipped. One of my friends got sick, thought he might have had a heart attack. They ran tests and observed him. Kept him overnight in the medical center. They did not disembark him or boot him off. Found nothing.  I think the bill came to $20,000. Luckily he had cruise insurance. 

Edited by Charles4515

And if they determine you need to go to hospital it will be there choice, divert to closest port and doctor personally transfers patient to another medical professional.  They won't let you just disembark at your leisure. 

• Like 1