Gratuity increasing

Just received the notice of increase.  Sorry if this has already been posted - I couldn't find anything new on it.

Dear Guest,

We are excited to welcome you onboard for your upcoming Royal Caribbean sailing!

As you prepare to set sail, we wanted to notify you of an update to our daily gratuity charges. As of September 7th, 2022, the automatic daily gratuity charge will increase from $14.50 to $16.00 per guest, per day for non-suite staterooms and from $17.50 to $18.50 per guest, per day for suites. The daily gratuity is shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants, and other hotel services teams.

If you’d like to pre-pray your gratuities at the current rate before your sailing, we’re happy to extend this opportunity to you. If you’d prefer to pay onboard, your gratuity charge will be applied to your onboard account at the new rate.

Other onboard gratuity policies remain the same – an 18% gratuity will be automatically added to purchases for beverages, spa & salon services, room service, and mini bar items. These will be itemized on your receipt at the end of each purchase.

To pre-pay your gratuities before your sailing at the current rate, or if you have any questions, please contact your Travel Advisor or contact us at: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

Does anyone know if there is a way to prepay the gratuities online without having to call in?  Is it possible to use OBC?

You can only use OBC for paying them onboard.  Is $21.00 for a week for 2 really going to break you?

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, molly361 said:

You can only use OBC for paying them onboard.  Is $21.00 for a week for 2 really going to break you?

No, I was just curious.  I've been wanting to prepay them even before I read this, but I will just have to mentally set aside a new amount from my OBC for tips.  I am trying to end up without owing anything at the end.  

Edited by rebeccac
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Hmm.  Just got the email.  I guess I’ll call and pre pay at least for cruises through the end of the year.  Not a big deal but on the longer cruises it’s going to be a bigger chunk. 

How many of you are cruising and for how long?

35 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

Does anyone know if there is a way to prepay the gratuities online without having to call in?  Is it possible to use OBC?

Nope pretty sure you have to Call to Pay them after 

Edited by ONECRUISER

It’s just $3 a day for the 2 of us.  45 days so far next year but the year after is already 73 so….that trip will be over $2300 just in tips.  Just the cost of cruising and I’m fine with it as long as those who serve us get it.  I need to find a TA for some OBC.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

If I understand it correctly, if you have already pre-paid gratuities, then the increase does not affect you, or at least that is what my TA told me.

I have all 19 of mine prepaid except for the one next month, so we should be good at the old rate.  I will pay the new rate in Sept as they messed up this cruise so much I am afraid to call and prepay the tips in fear of what will happen.  It took 6 months to get it fixed and numerous emails/calls, so this particular one I will leave alone!

9 minutes ago, karena1 said:

I have all 19 of mine prepaid except for the one next month, so we should be good at the old rate.  I will pay the new rate in Sept as they messed up this cruise so much I am afraid to call and prepay the tips in fear of what will happen.  It took 6 months to get it fixed and numerous emails/calls, so this particular one I will leave alone!

Nice, prepaying will save quite a bit with all those. We all knew an increase was coming

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

If I understand it correctly, if you have already pre-paid gratuities, then the increase does not affect you, or at least that is what my TA told me.

The way I read it, people who are already booked can wait until just before sailing to pre-pay at the lower rate.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MightyMike said:

The way I read it, people who are already booked can wait until just before sailing to pre-pay at the lower rate.

From the email, I believe you are correct.  If you prepay, it's at the lower rate.  If you don't prepay, your on board account will be charged the new rate.

If you’d like to pre-pray your gratuities at the current rate before your sailing, we’re happy to extend this opportunity to you. If you’d prefer to pay onboard, your gratuity charge will be applied to your onboard account at the new rate.

1 minute ago, SellN4U said:

I notice RCI no longer provides recommended tips for stateroom attendant, server, assistant server, etc.  Does anyone know what those are?

There is no recommended tip. It's whatever you feel like tipping, whether it's nothing or $100

• Like 1