Gratuity increasing

5 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

From the email, I believe you are correct.  If you prepay, it's at the lower rate.  If you don't prepay, your on board account will be charged the new rate.

If you’d like to pre-pray your gratuities at the current rate before your sailing, we’re happy to extend this opportunity to you. If you’d prefer to pay onboard, your gratuity charge will be applied to your onboard account at the new rate.

By pre-pay, that just means to add it to the invoice right?

I typically add gratuities when doing final payment....but if my understanding is correct, I'll call to have it added now to future cruises.

2 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

By pre-pay, that just means to add it to the invoice right?

I typically add gratuities when doing final payment....but if my understanding is correct, I'll call to have it added now to future cruises.

Correct - prepay it vs having it billed on board daily.  

• Thanks 1

Are people that pre-pay (the lower rate) inadvertently short changing the staff?  I seriously doubt that Royal is going to make up the difference between the prepaid old rate vs the onboard new rate.  But maybe they'll surprise us and actually do make up the difference.

I know that many people give extra tips, but are they planning to give extra extra?

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

You can only use OBC for paying them onboard.  Is $21.00 for a week for 2 really going to break you?

She simply asked a reasonable question since the  option to prepay is given in the notice. Why be so snarky?  We’ll be on a cruise for 21 days, so for us it adds up. So we, too, will prepay. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Are people that pre-pay (the lower rate) inadvertently short changing the staff?  I seriously doubt that Royal is going to make up the difference between the prepaid old rate vs the onboard new rate.

I know that many people give extra tips, but are they planning to give extra extra?

I was on a recent cruise and asked GS what was the recommended tip for cabin steward and he refused to give me an answer and said tipping is up to the guest.  I told him I find that weird considering they came up with an amount they charge people in the beginning per day and asked how they determine how much to give the cabin steward.  He still wouldn't answer. Years ago we tipped cabin steward, server and asst server. If matre d did a good job of helping us, giving recommendations for ports, etc we tipped them too. Of course bar got tipped per order.  I'm curious if the cruise industry is cutting staff pay and spreading the tips out over a larger group of people.

30 minutes ago, SellN4U said:

I'm curious if the cruise industry is cutting staff pay and spreading the tips out over a larger group of people.

Highly unlikely their cutting pay. The cruise lines are having trouble getting enough crew/staff right now. In theory, an increase in gratuities will (potentially) increase the amount they are going to be paid in addition their base salary. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SellN4U said:

That's kinda a rude question to ask someone.

Disagree. It's a very logical observation considering everyone is paying much more than $21 for the cruise. Is $21 even going to be noticed? So many people on here claim to tip extra and then worry about a $10.50/person cost increase 🙄.

• Like 2

Often its all the little fees/costs that add up.Look at what is happening right now with inflation. I’m canadian.. I’ll sure notice with the addition of the exchange rate too but i’m prepaying mine!

Edited by latebuyer

7 hours ago, SellN4U said:

I was on a recent cruise and asked GS what was the recommended tip for cabin steward and he refused to give me an answer and said tipping is up to the guest.  I told him I find that weird considering they came up with an amount they charge people in the beginning per day and asked how they determine how much to give the cabin steward.  He still wouldn't answer. Years ago we tipped cabin steward, server and asst server. If matre d did a good job of helping us, giving recommendations for ports, etc we tipped them too. Of course bar got tipped per order.  I'm curious if the cruise industry is cutting staff pay and spreading the tips out over a larger group of people.

That's very strange.

On a very recent cruise, I asked GS and they immediately produced a printout showing how tip is broken up.  Nice lady even offered up suggestion unsolicited that if you want to redistribute, you will have to reverse the whole pre pay thing with her and then hand over envelopes (like old times) to each category.

I think it is just too much hassel. Just easier to give extra to people you want to give extra without taking it away from anyone. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SellN4U said:

I notice RCI no longer provides recommended tips for stateroom attendant, server, assistant server, etc.  Does anyone know what those are?

On a very recent sailing, GS was promptly handing out the printed sheet.

Do not know if all ships are doing that at their GS desk or not 

Does royal caribbean say anywhere that 100% of this money is going to staff? Sorry i can’t recall if this was asked before. I’m just hoping there is not an expectation for tipping additional amounts at specialty restaurants when you tip online. (Off topic but related)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SellN4U said:

I notice RCI no longer provides recommended tips for stateroom attendant, server, assistant server, etc.  Does anyone know what those are?

Their tips are taken care of in the daily gratuities fee. If you want to tip extra thats up to you to decide on the amount 

• Like 1

So if the increase  in tips  is  only minimal, only $1.50 pppn and the crew deserves it. 

Why are people  asking about pre paying tips at the lower rate?
Royal Caribbean  should  increase  tips at a set date regardless  of booking date.

Edited by sowhat
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Are people that pre-pay (the lower rate) inadvertently short changing the staff?  I seriously doubt that Royal is going to make up the difference between the prepaid old rate vs the onboard new rate.  But maybe they'll surprise us and actually do make up the difference.

I'm wondering if the staff, say the stateroom attendant, knows whether you're paying old or new gratuities rate just like they know when you remove auto grats?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Interesting question.  I am in a JS on an upcoming 10/1 cruise.  Gratuities have been pre-paid in full.  I have made a bid in royal up for Grand Suite.  If I "win" one of these a few days before boarding, I have to pay the difference in the gratuity.  I was wondering whether the amount will be the $17.50, which is the current prepaid amount for a full suite (since I pre-paid the initial amount) or will it be the $18.50, since I hadn't paid the "full suite" gratuity in full by the price increase deadline.  $1.00/day won't make a difference, but just thought it was an interesting situation....