The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday August 25th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Kiss and Make Up Day, National Banana Split Day, and National Park Service Founders Day

Let me tell you this; if you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it's not because they enjoy solitude. It's because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them.--Jodi Picoult, My Sister's Keeper

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Street Corn
Drink of the Day - Cruzan Sidecar
Wine of the Day - Domaine Laporte 2019 Le Grand Rochoy (Sancerre)
Destination of the Day - Kobe, Japan

Eurodam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Koningsdam

Ketchikan Alaska US 11:00 AM To 7:00 PM

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 08:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 17:00

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Oosterdam

Mykonos, Greece 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Stavanger, Norway 08:00 - 15:00

Westerdam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm & Juneau, Alaska eta 08/26

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0825Europe.thumb.png.ed057a216ccb0044c8c56cb2e4962f7e.png

0825Alaska.thumb.png.c99f87e994a9f2d5fb4ac1c2f3b353c1.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 15

Thank you for the Thursday report, Rich.  I like the days today and especially salute the National Park Founders.  I am a loner and it's really because I've always been comfortable on my own.  I was in Kobe once, on Crystal Symphony in 2013.  It's one of my few Japanese ports that was not on my 2017 Amsterdam Grand Asia segment.  I like the menu suggestion.  My alternative is Sunset Salad and Chicken Breast with Italian Couscous which may have been my choices on MS Statendam August 19, 2014.  The alternative menu selection will be going on a late summer vacation for about a month.

Today’s care list:

Oosterdam passengers diverted to Miami with little notice
HAL Sailer Sister in Law recovering from cancer surgery
Tana with persistent problems although somewhat better
Fluff healing from surgery
ger_77 and  DH with covid fatigue
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/11)
From the rotation:
Strength and healing (physical and emotional) for Kazu
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Temporary guests for Kazu
lindaler’s son settled in new house
Volendam caring for refugees
Tana’s spunk
Quartzite cruiser making progress on medical appointments
Norseh20 finding DM great assisted living facility
4 days for Oceansaway17 (Quantum OTS 8/29 to 9/5)
3 days for Vax1700 (Rotterdam 8/28 to 9/11)
3 days for Kochleffel (Voyager OTS 8/28 to 9/3)
Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), Aliaschief (Rotterdam to 8/28),   Av8rix (Zuiderdam  to 8/31) and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 13

It's late morning here overlooking the North Sea.

Thank you Rich for starting the daily and fleet reports every day.

Kiss and make up sounds good.

Banana splits are nice either as a desert or a banana/toffee split sweet.

A well thought out quote and probably very true for a lot of people.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

I'm looking forward to seeing photos of today's port.

Best wishes for everyone who is unwell.

Wishing everyone a safe and nice day.

Take care.

Graham.

16614248054323429718133325925946.jpg

• Like 29

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday report, Rich.  I like the days today and especially salute the National Park Founders.  I am a loner and it's really because I've always been comfortable on my own.  I was in Kobe once, on Crystal Symphony in 2013.  It's one of my few Japanese ports that was not on my 2017 Amsterdam Grand Asia segment.  I like the menu suggestion.  My alternative is Sunset Salad and Chicken Breast with Italian Couscous which may have been my choices on MS Statendam August 19, 2014.  The alternative menu selection will be going on a late summer vacation for about a month.

Today’s care list:

Oosterdam passengers diverted to Miami with little notice
HAL Sailer Sister in Law recovering from cancer surgery
Tana with persistent problems although somewhat better
Fluff healing from surgery
ger_77 and  DH with covid fatigue
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/11)
From the rotation:
Strength and healing (physical and emotional) for Kazu
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Temporary guests for Kazu
lindaler’s son settled in new house
Volendam caring for refugees
Tana’s spunk
Quartzite cruiser making progress on medical appointments
Norseh20 finding DM great assisted living facility
4 days for Oceansaway17 (Quantum OTS 8/29 to 9/5)
3 days for Vax1700 (Rotterdam 8/28 to 9/11)
3 days for Kochleffel (Voyager OTS 8/28 to 9/3)
Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), Aliaschief (Rotterdam to 8/28),   Av8rix (Zuiderdam  to 8/31) and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 14

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Another warm day here with a chance of thunderstorms this afternoon.  Bertie and I had a nice walk this morning, very quiet.

Kiss and make up day?  What if we don't have to make up, I hope it's okay if we just kiss.  Haven't had a banana split in ages, thanks for the suggestion.  A big thank you to park founders.

I like the quote.

The meal and drink sound good.  Hope the wine is tasty too.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 30

Cruzan Sidecar cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Cruzan® Single Barrel Rum
1 part DeKuyper® Triple Sec Liqueur
1 splash Lemon Juice

Instructions
Combine ingredients and shake with ice in a mixing glass until chilled. Pour into a cocktail glass. (A sugar-rim is optional.)

Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 7.27.09 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

Happy Thursday Dailyites!  It's raining this morning, with a chance of rain all day.  Well, it is my work all day day.  So I'm ok.  

I have been kidnapped by one of my old bosses for two weeks from my other campaigns.  This will be starting on Monday, 40 + hours a week, getting over time, plus bonuses on sales.  Supposedly the highest paying gig in the company.  One boss will be overjoyed, the other, I am sure who fought so hard to get me on his campaign will not be happy, but how do you fight with the vice president of the company?

So my good bye letters will go out this morning, and I will be working 80 plus hours for two weeks.  And then get on a cruise ship.  With a pay check that will let me pay my bills when I get home from the cruise.  And then, I will have to look for another job, as I am blowing off the new gig I was supposed to start the week after labor day.

Oh well the sad part is that I will only be able to say hey in the mornings and not catch up for the rest of the day.  The Daily is my favorite place to be.

I like the idea of a banana split, but I don't like to mix my ice cream flavors up.  I'm one of those weird people who open a bag of M & M's and separate all the colors.  And then eat them.  I will eat one flavor of ice cream with hot fudge on it.  Banana not included. 

il_1588xN.2691973697_367r.jpg

• Like 36

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich. Another glorious morning here. Off to Tai Chi on the beach. It will be interesting to see if it is more difficult in the sand. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites.

Is anyone interested in covering the “Wine du Jour”  from August 28 - September 18th? I would be happy to send you the list in advance. Just email me at annge3@gmail.com

I am certain my friend’s cat might surpass this record…

56CA5AF1-F3D4-4304-B3C4-9120794F2A6D.jpeg.5770689842c3434aff7f2005368ec6a1.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Domaine Laporte 2019 Le Grand Rochoy (Sancerre)

This Sancerre is going on my list. A bit pricey online, but I might find it for less locally. More and more vintners are producing organic wines using sustainable methods. And this wine has superb reviews for all released vintages. Several online distributors with prices starting at $39.99.

Winemaker Notes

After racking at low temperature, the wine ferments for 10 days in stainless steel tanks at temperatures ranging from 15° to 20°C (59° to 68°F). Neither yeasting nor malolactic fermentation is employed. The wine is matured on its fine lees for 5 months and is then vacuum-bottled (exclusively in darkly tinted bottles). Only high quality natural corks are used. The wine undergoes additional maturation for at least one month in the bottle before being offered for sale. This helps the grapes to ripen more quickly and results in the production of a rich, well-balanced white Sancerre with a fine flinty tang.

95 Wine Enthusiast 

This wine is full of powerful white fruits that are densely textured and concentrated. The fruits bring a mineral texture that adds to the richness and complex structure. The wine will age further, so drink from 2022. Organic.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon from Stavangar, Norway. There will be no pictures from Stavanger today as upon our arrival,  local tour guides decided to do a consensual strike and henceforth, all of the ships tours were cancelled. There was also a Aida cruise ship in port so that robbed the local economy of some tourism  money! It appears no one saw this coming until after we docked.

Last night we dined In Canelleto for the third time. I know many may disagree but we feel that dining there may just be the best and most consistent specialty restaurant on board along with it’s great views.

Tomorrow we’ll visit Flam followed by a sea day and we fly home Sunday.

On a sad note; when DW was on her way for her early coffee this morning there was a man walking around the hallway in his pajama’s. Fortunately, the breakfast steward was delivering and asked the man if he needed any help. Poor man stated he got up to go the bathroom and now can’t remember his room number. Fortunately he sleeps in pajamas. Which reminds us there is a time coming when we are going to have to admit we can’t do this anymore.

Thanks Rich for the Fleet Report and tip of the hat to our contributors.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 11

Good morning and thanks for the update. It’s a cool and sunny start, but it’s supposed to be hot this afternoon and tomorrow.

Halifax Pier 21 webcam has a great view of our 2 BHB.

Banana split sounds good on a hot day.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.🙏❤️

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Fleet update and other things.

Good morning fellow CC members, copy that.  RNB hear with his 4th installment of cruise story diaries.

This weeks cruise story I title:

The Doors

You young ladies out there probably think I’m making a pass at you when I say, “Come, on baby, light my fire.”  No, this story is not about the famous rock group and besides my flame was extinguished years ago and the only thing to ignite it would be a barn fire as long is it’s not my barn 😳. This story is about doors on cruise ships. Sounds pretty boring doesn’t it, but I will try and spice it up.

A. The slammers: you know who you are. Though this occurred often on older ships it still happens. Those cruisers who wish not to hold the cabin door or balcony door when it shuts which causes an earthquake in your cabin. Walls shake, paint peels off or maybe plastic and bed shakes which isn’t to bad. Please, hold doors until there shut!

B. A picture paints a thousand words: Now this story comes from another cruise line. I will not name it but the name of the cruise line rhymes with Fidelity. A couple of weeks ago a thread was started on this cruise line site, What does Friends of Dorothy mean. Well, that topic got a lot of attention and made it way into the meaning of things that passengers put on cabin doors, similar to my story last week about my creative do not disturb sign. So someone posted that if you put magnetic pineapples on your cabin door it means you are swingers and wish to exchange you know what; google it, it’s true. So I replied, we put magnetic prunes on our cabin door because we are looking for a couple of old f_rts 😀.

C. Beware the connector door: Last October 2022, we boarded the Fidelity Equinox for a nine day southern Caribbean cruise. There were 14 of us, yes, I have that many friends; all cabins on Deck 7. When we arrived at the cabin there was no key in the mail slot so I went to the front desk to get a key. I got the key and when I opened the door, the cabin was packed full of boxes with hundreds of packages. Since it was not my birthday and knew the packages were not for me plus it was probably for someone named Charmin 😀. Well, back to the front desk. After many apologizes we were given cabin keys for Deck 8. Once we arrived I noticed a connecting door in the cabin. Oh no. We had just stayed at a JW Marriott in Las Vegas with a connecting door and all night long I could every word spoken in the other room. But this could not happen again so we decided to stay. Well that night I was wrong. From 10pm to 1am there was some kind of religious service in the connecting room cause all I heard all night was how each one kept getting closer to God 😳.

Now the rest of the story; next morning went to Guest Services and upgraded two classes to Aqua Class Cabin. No big deal, same cabin size except now can eat at special restaurant called Blu. It should be called not so Blu. The end the story; I did not have to transform into Aquaman to stay in this cabin.

Edited by RedneckBob
Misspell
  • Like 9
  • Haha 18

17 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good afternoon from Stavangar, Norway. There will be no pictures from Stavanger today as upon our arrival,  local tour guides decided to do a consensual strike and henceforth, all of the ships tours were cancelled. There was also a Aida cruise ship in port so that robbed the local economy of some tourism  money! It appears no one saw this coming until after we docked.

Last night we dined In Canelleto for the third time. I know many may disagree but we feel that dining there may just be the best and most consistent specialty restaurant on board along with it’s great views.

Tomorrow we’ll visit Flam followed by a sea day and we fly home Sunday.

On a sad note; when DW was on her way for her early coffee this morning there was a man walking around the hallway in his pajama’s. Fortunately, the breakfast steward was delivering and asked the man if he needed any help. Poor man stated he got up to go the bathroom and now can’t remember his room number. Fortunately he sleeps in pajamas. Which reminds us there is a time coming when we are going to have to admit we can’t do this anymore.

Thanks Rich for the Fleet Report and tip of the hat to our contributors.

Agree with you about Canelleto! But also like Tamarind. 

• Like 18

Good morning friends!  It must have rained all night from the looks of the radar this morning, and we expect a chance of showers any time of the upcoming day.  High will only be 77F.  From what DS said about getting back home on Friday the 26th, they may already be on their way from Singapore.  Hoping for safe and on time flights for them.

Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor our Daily.  What nice days to celebrate today!  I love banana splits.  That was my craving in my final months pregnant with DD.  I actually ordered one on the Island Princess.  They call that a Volcano on the children's menu, or at least they did once upon a time.  I don't care what they call it!  And I don't mind mixing my flavors at all.  Kiss and make up day sounds positive.  And cheers to the park service founders for their important service to all.  I could eat some grilled street corn.  No thanks to the drink and wine though.  I've read My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.  She is an excellent writer and I approve of her quote.  

Kobe, Japan is a first timer here on the Daily for port of the day.  I hope to see some great photos today!  We have not visited there before.

Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor being the list keeper.  Prayers for our care list, the Ukrainians and any others who are in need of them.  A shout out for all on the Celebration list. I hope all on cruises will keep in touch if at all possible  Bad news Bruce @aliaschief about the tour guide strike in Stavanger, but it is quite a walkable, scenic town so I hope everyone just got out and enjoyed their surroundings.  That is where I photogaphed all the beautiful doors in the Old Town and made a wall calendar with them.  Gorgeous!!  

Hope you all have a great day!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I am a loner and it's really because I've always been comfortable on my own. 

Me, too. And, though in a loving, deeply committed marriage, I'm my best self if each week I get some of what I term 'my alone time'.

-Melisa 

• Like 30

Good morning.  Another dreary start to the day. Yesterday the sun broke out and I got a half days worth of work when the rain started.  Back inside for the afternoon and probably most of today. I bet we got 1" of rain, more through noon. We have a great day tomorrow perfect for pulling the boat out of the lake and have a tune up and shrink wrapping for the winter. It sits in our yard for the winter.  Our road is so bad that hauling it in and out yearly would be hard on it. It closes the curtain on one of the worst summers for fishing in 16 years. I took a lot of photos and worked in my garden so that was fun too. The work begins in earnest now, cutting back all plants and hauling them in the woods. I leave the Russian Sage for the bees and the Echinacea for the finches and cut the back in the spring.   

Thank you for the Daily Reports.   Prayers for all needing them.   Have a wonderful day!

• Like 27

A quick good morning from central Texas.  It is going to be a busy day.  This morning, I need to make a quick trip to the store, get home and put away the groceries.  Then, I have to turn around and go get a very much needed haircut. This afternoon, we head to Cleburne for DH's opthmaogist appointment.

An interesting collection of days.  It's been years since we've had a banana split, and I always have them leave the pineapple sauce off and substitute more chocolate sauce.  On our last Princess cruise, DH often got a banana split inn the MDR for dessert.  I salute the national park founders.

An interesting quote today.  I like being with people, but alone time is good too.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.

We have not been to Kobe.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I'm sorry the tour guides decided to strike.  One of our best tours was when the guides canceled,  and they could not find guides at the last minute.  We enjoyed the bus ride in peace and quiet, saw what we were supposed to see, and the drivers went out of their way to make it a good tour, including an extra stop.  Canaletto is also a favorite of mine.  And, sad about the lost passenger.

@cat shepard  Ann, I hope you find a volunteer.  I can't make that commitment right now.

@marshhawk  Ann, good luck with the new campaign.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, sending positive thoughts for safe travels, on time flights and no lost luggage for your DS and family.

Lenda

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone!   

It is another beautiful morning in northeast Ohio. Mornings tend to be cool and crisp, but it is supposed to warm up today to the mid 80s.  All my hardened left over paint from the garage went out this morning with the trash collection.  Now, I have to get rid of the stuff the previous owners left in the basement back in 1987.  Something tells me they are already  hardened.  I am waiting on delivery of my packing boxes and then I can put stuff away in the kitchen and dining room.  And, prep the living room.  Last night I was ready to give in and call a painter.   This morning I think I can do it.

I had Elote in Mexico City years ago.  I was traveling with friends and students.  We loved it.  They didn't grill the corn, though.  It was boiled, dipped in a sauce and sprinkled with cheese.  Elote would be wonderful with fish tacos.  This first recipe has a little history and some suggestions on what to pair it with.  The flank steak sounds good as well.   https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/grilled_mexican_street_corn_elotes/

667523146_streetcorn1.thumb.jpg.53efeaace41a49eb980118833bdc1c61.jpg

Slightly different seasonings in this recipe, but lots of great information.  https://www.seriouseats.com/mexican-street-corn-elotes-recipe

1830879511_streetcorn3.thumb.jpg.718078edecb52ad26e5375935611c36a.jpg

This is Tyler Florence's take on street corn.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/mexican-grilled-corn-recipe-1947651

54559011_streetcorn2.jpeg.289c2e58862ed5052ae514f55259e3a0.jpeg

You can do more than just eat it off the cob.  Here's a recipe for street corn salad.  https://www.loveandlemons.com/mexican-street-corn-salad/

1166329126_streetcorn4.thumb.jpg.820dac7fb09599dcbf60f7f147efe5fe.jpg

Or how about some street corn dip with your tortilla chips?   https://houseofnasheats.com/grilled-mexican-street-corn-dip/

618176847_streetcorn5.thumb.jpg.852d4499ef9860fc1dec601794754f65.jpg

Or how about street corn casserole?   https://saltandbaker.com/mexican-street-corn-casserole/

508023013_streetcorn6.thumb.jpg.ec844c696ecf54043dee2fe06d1e95be.jpg

Enjoy the corn and make extra!  You'll want it.  

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 9

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich.

I guess I will celebrate National Park Service Day - I don’t have anyone to kiss and no one to make up to 😉 

I am not sure I completely agree with the quote.  People don’t necessarily disappoint.  You can be alone by circumstance.

Well, it was a busy day yesterday.  I was trying to take care of Jack and Henry with a very sore knee.  I stepped over Jack the night before and my foot went on the dog bed.  No big deal I’ve walked on it many times.  Sadly, I tend to shake at times including my legs and it happened and I went down.  Talking about the shaking & lack of focus at times with my doctor tomorrow, never fear.  And, yes, I’m doing RICE & a cane.  The boys left last night so I am on my own again.  Missed them this morning. ♥️ 

77EDBFCE-DA69-4F58-87E5-B72414C69B86.thumb.jpeg.da2a1d8b6e93bac7241aa20e2cf49d71.jpeg

And of course yesterday morning, I had an email greeting me that our disembarkation port was changed to Miami.  Not good for people just flying to Toronto out of FLL with flights at 11:25 so I had to have long discussions with my sisters.

58745A3B-E9DC-43CD-A849-011C5A7446AC.jpeg.b6bad0ac7676f29ad0aa0135b9cf7d5e.jpeg

Me?  I was going to have to stay overnight to get home - whether I stayed in Florida and just connected and got home or stay at Pearson and recheck my luggage.  I don’t want to go through that zoo at Pearson again so I had opted to stay in Florida.  Fortunately, I didn’t use Flight Ease so I think I will now be flying out of Miami.  I’m really not sure what the right decision is - but I think that’s it.

our roll call was busy yesterday venting and trying to figure out best options and one of my guides has been forced to raise prices.  It’s not serious and a very cheap tour by European standards but that had to be dealt with too.

@aliaschiefso sorry about Stavenger.  I wonder if that nice boat tour was still running?  Such a shame that you couldn’t take in more but it’s a beautiful town.

@cat shepardAnn, if no one else steps up, I will do the wine du jour if needed. If someone else is willing, it’s all theirs 😉 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

have a great Thursday everyone !!!!!

CDCE9C33-C616-4E52-803C-5DB7D379B09E.jpeg.506aadd63144750c397b0ac0e8089379.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2