REQUEST TO THE MODERATORS Re: The Inevitable Deluge of Upgrade Threads

JimmyVWine

A poster in another thread half-jokingly warned us of the barrage of upgrade posts and threads that will be coming our way as Princess rolls out its new Upgrade Bidding module.  I would respectfully ask that you create a single "sticky" thread with a title something like "Upgrade Bidding Discussion-Post all your questions and experiences here." and then remove or merge into this master thread any new threads that people start regarding upgrades.  In the sticky thread, people can follow an agreed upon format.  Something like:

Ship:

Sailing Date:

Category of Cabin Bid On:

Bid Offered:

Accepted (Y/N): 

Without such a central posting location, I can see other threads quickly falling off of the first few pages as people start innumerable threads on their bidding experiences, and asking others what they bid and whether they succeeded. 

Once you read my post and take it under advisement, feel free to delete this thread if you wish. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

55 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

.............................. I would respectfully ask that you create a single "sticky" thread with a title something like "Upgrade Bidding Discussion-Post all your questions and experiences here." and then remove or merge into this master thread any new threads that people start regarding upgrades.  In the sticky thread, people can follow an agreed upon format.  Something like:

Ship:

Sailing Date:

Bid Offered:

Accepted (Y/N): 

AGREE!!  The Accepted line is likely to be Pending for a period of time without a Y or a N.  IDK if they ever tell you NO explicitly or it just dies the day before sailing.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

A poster in another thread half-jokingly warned us of the barrage of upgrade posts and threads that will be coming our way as Princess rolls out its new Upgrade Bidding module.  I would respectfully ask that you create a single "sticky" thread with a title something like "Upgrade Bidding Discussion-Post all your questions and experiences here." and then remove or merge into this master thread any new threads that people start regarding upgrades.  In the sticky thread, people can follow an agreed upon format.  Something like:

Ship:

Sailing Date:

Bid Offered:

Accepted (Y/N): 

Without such a central posting location, I can see other threads quickly falling off of the first few pages as people start innumerable threads on their bidding experiences, and asking others what they bid and whether they succeeded. 

Once you read my post and take it under advisement, feel free to delete this thread if you wish. 

@JimmyVWineExcellent idea. Thanks for suggesting this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

I'm just bumping this bc I think it should be pinned just like the MC, M&G, and cabin review threads. 

While I agree, someone else just got reamed in another thread for "bumping" his post. (I didn't agree with the person who got on the poster for "bumping".)

• Like 1

Bumped or not, I have little doubt the M*derators will miss a thread with the word M*derators (in CAPS no less) in the Title.  (If anyone is wondering why I am using a "*" in place of the "o", it is because the real word is like a trigger and puts a post in stasis for review before it is allowed to post and I already know I am not posting anything that would offend our esteemed gatekeepers.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd really like to know:

Ship:

Sailing Date:

Bid Offered:

Accepted (Y/N): 

Do I book a lesser cabin then bid the difference between short notice price & what I'm paying? Example: book coastal cruise at $×. Price drops to $× less 500. Do I offer to give up the 500 & upgrade? Or do I ask for a price reduction??

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 12:36 AM, Steelers36 said:

Bumped or not, I have little doubt the M*derators will miss a thread with the word M*derators (in CAPS no less) in the Title.  (If anyone is wondering why I am using a "*" in place of the "o", it is because the real word is like a trigger and puts a post in stasis for review before it is allowed to post and I already know I am not posting anything that would offend our esteemed gatekeepers.

Mention a specific travel agency or covid and that will get attention.

• Haha 4

On 8/26/2022 at 9:36 PM, Steelers36 said:

🤣 your rust free my friend

• Haha 2

On 8/26/2022 at 1:14 PM, JimmyVWine said:

A poster in another thread half-jokingly warned us of the barrage of upgrade posts and threads that will be coming our way as Princess rolls out its new Upgrade Bidding module

Haha I think that was me! 😂😂 Great idea to combine them. 🥂

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ombud said:

I'd really like to know:

Ship:

Sailing Date:

Bid Offered:

Accepted (Y/N): 

Do I book a lesser cabin then bid the difference between short notice price & what I'm paying? Example: book coastal cruise at $×. Price drops to $× less 500. Do I offer to give up the 500 & upgrade? Or do I ask for a price reduction??

People may not want to post how much they bid because they don’t want others to outbid them. After they sail they might post the info. 🤷‍♀️ Also, remember that winning the bid isn’t always based on how much a person bids. It depends on how desirable their current cabin is among other things. 

14 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

People may not want to post how much they bid because they don’t want others to outbid them. After they sail they might post the info. 🤷‍♀️ Also, remember that winning the bid isn’t always based on how much a person bids. It depends on how desirable their current cabin is among other things. 

So, the highest bid can be rejected for a lower bid, just based on each bidder's current location?

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

So, the highest bid can be rejected for a lower bid, just based on each bidder's current location?

I’ve seen it happen on the NCL threads. Everyone tries to pinpoint how much they need to bid to win the much desired Haven cabins, but no one really knows how the logarithm works. The cruise lines want to make money, and they know that the better cabins (Club class mini suites for example) are more desirable than say a regular balcony. They will bump a mini suite to a suite over a regular balcony to a suite because they stand to make more money on the domino effect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

People may not want to post how much they bid because they don’t want others to outbid them. 

I would think that people wouldn't post until they know whether or not they were successful...i.e. either confirmation they've won or have sailed in their original cabin.  Otherwise the thread will be 10 times longer than necessary if filled with "hey, I just bid $100 on a Deluxe Balcony, haven't heard yet..." and such.

16 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

I would think that people wouldn't post until they know whether or not they were successful...i.e. either confirmation they've won or have sailed in their original cabin.

That is the goal.  "I bid $50" is useless information unless one knows if that bid was successful.  The biggest unknown as this kicks off is going to be "I wonder how much I will need to bid to jump from a Balcony to a MiniSuite?"  While past performance is no guarantee of future success, (I heard that somewhere...😄), people will be able to have a better, educated guess when they see how others have fared.   But that only works after people's bids are final and they know if they won the cabin or not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

I would think that people wouldn't post until they know whether or not they were successful...i.e. either confirmation they've won or have sailed in their original cabin.  Otherwise the thread will be 10 times longer than necessary if filled with "hey, I just bid $100 on a Deluxe Balcony, haven't heard yet..." and such.

Sometimes. This link will give you an idea of how thread/posts go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

Sometimes. This link will give you an idea of how thread/posts go. 

I don’t know why I always lose patience with threads like this and stop a few pages in. RC has a huge one that is not a sticky, and probably doesn’t need to be based on how often people post on it. Celebrity’s seems to only get those who’ve been successful. I don’t sail NCL because hubby didn’t care for it the one time we tried it about 15 years ago, probably before the bidding games began, but I see where it would get tedious scrolling through the pending bid posts. 

On 8/26/2022 at 4:14 PM, JimmyVWine said:

In the sticky thread, people can follow an agreed upon format.  Something like:

Ship:

Sailing Date:

Bid Offered:

Accepted (Y/N): 

It occurred to me the other day that there is a missing element.  Need to have the number of nights (length of the voyage).  Otherwise, the pricing won't mean much.  We also need to know the cabin category booked in to understand the upgrade differential.

If we really want the details, then besides Bid Offered, we should have the low-to-high bid range in the offer.

When Accepted could be useful as well.  I had mentioned before that most postings are going to be Pending and not yet know the Y/N answer.

ETA:  Also the date bid was submitted.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

i see the upgrade page changed on the princess site. 

anyone get one? i sail in 2 weeks. are there any shortcuts to the upgrade site like royal has ( so you dont have to wait for email)

The program does not start until Sep 6 and is only applicable to departures from Oct 1 forward.  So far only for Caribbean Princess, Discovery Princess, Enchanted Princess, Regal Princess and Ruby Princessr