Carnival Redesigning the VIFP program?

gazingm42

Carnival's loyalty program is pretty pathetic.  I rarely use any of the perks.

Carnival already has loyal cruisers.  I don't know why everyone seems to lose their minds when Carnival does an interesting sailing once a year when there are other cruise lines that do the same or similar interesting sailings all the time. It's like they don't even consider sailing another line.  Many of those lines offer much better loyalty perks.

So why should Carnival offer more perks?  There are already so many Plat/Diamond on the ship that the priority tender is a joke.  So is boarding.

I haven't sailed Princess, but I've been sailing HAL a lot more recently.  They offer some real perks in their loyalty program.  You earn one point for each day.  You earn double points for suites.  You earn points for your onboard spending.  When you book under their Have It All fare, you get perks for that as though you purchased the dining, drink package, wi-fi separately.

When you reach 3*, you get tangible perks, like discounts on wine packages, specialty dining, logo items in the shops, spa discounts.  That discount increases are you reach 4 and 5*s.

Tangible rewards.  I reached that 75 cruise day credits to become 3* after 56 actual cruise days.  

That's how they should revamp the loyalty program.

Holland-America-cruises-Mariner-Reward-Chart.pdf

• Like 4

14 hours ago, gazingm42 said:

So this was posted on carnival job site for Florida.   Does this mean they are in the process to redesign the VIVP program again?

image.thumb.png.8569aae55b22b56ea3dacec41fd2582b.png

Edited by Daddyfto
  • Like 1

Knowing my luck they will change the levels and I will lose my (just acquired in June) Diamond status - lol.  

(yes, I gather they will grandfather in whatever level you may be at, as they have done in the past.)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mz-s said:

They've been teasing and discussing changes to the VIFP program for years. I recall JH talking about changes on his Facebook page (not announcing any changes, just saying that they're looking at things they could change).

I imagine they had planned to announce changes by now but COVID threw a wrench in those plans.

Agreed.  It has been talked about for years.  Covid changed all the conversation to mere survival for the industry.

Changes are going to have to come sooner or later.  There are simply too many platinum cruisers now and many on the way to getting there to give priority.  I was guessing before that they would raise the number of days required to get to platinum (or at least the priority boarding and room availability part of it.)  Along with that creating new levels throughout.

As many have stated, the program is not really that good.  For us, the priority embarkation (with room being ready) and debarkation are/were the main benefits.  The other things have never really meant that much to us.  We don't drink, so the party doesn't appeal to us and we rarely use the laundry as we don't like washing everything in hot water mixed with everyone else's items.  We had always looked forward to seeing what the gifts were, but that certainly isn't the case anymore.  The Tervis cups have been the nicest things we've gotten in years and that was a few years ago.  Those are the only gifts that we still use on a regular basis.  If priority embarkation with room being ready and priority debarkation are taken away, we would certainly look at trying other lines.  That's the main things that kept us from doing so pre-covid.

Looks like if they are hiring someone to oversee it changes aren't coming right away.  I'm guessing that person will have time to work through it.  With that being said, I would think it would be more of a massive overhaul of the program than the last one that included changing platinum from 10 cruises to 75 cruise days.

• Like 1

They need a level above Diamond - perhaps where real/tangible perks might be found (free or discounted CHEERS and/or WiFi). The "once in your lifetime" steakhouse perk for attaining Diamond is pathetic.

They need to offer additional points beyond 1 point per day. Such as extra points for booking certain promos, cabin levels, onboard spend, etc. This will incentivize people to spend more (good for the corporation) - especially if the carrot at the end of the stick has real appeal.

Carnival needs to step up to the plate...

Tom

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, pe4all said:

yes, I gather they will grandfather in whatever level you may be at, as they have done in the past.)

Maybe or maybe not.  Also, they may grandfather people in to certain levels, but the benefits of that level may change.  I'm just not sure they can continue giving all platinum and diamonds priority.  Another thing they did before was allowing those who would have reached platinum soon under the old program (10 cruises) a certain period of time (can't remember for sure, but seems like it was over a year) to reach that level under the old program.  I have relatives who actually reached it that way and only had around 55 cruise days.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

They need to offer additional points beyond 1 point per day. Such as extra points for booking certain promos, cabin levels, onboard spend, etc. This will incentivize people to spend more (good for the corporation) - especially if the carrot at the end of the stick has real appeal.

Would take a lot more effort to keep up with, but I could certainly see that happening.  The last change went from counting cruises to counting cruise days to keep people from just booking 4-5 day cruises and getting to platinum with 45-50 days.  Could a next step be counting room types to give people who book balconies and suites more bang for the buck than those always booking interior?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Would take a lot more effort to keep up with, but I could certainly see that happening.  The last change went from counting cruises to counting cruise days to keep people from just booking 4-5 day cruises and getting to platinum with 45-50 days.  Could a next step be counting room types to give people who book balconies and suites more bang for the buck than those always booking interior?

Celebrity has the best (IMO) approach to points as far as booking different cabin types. We've stayed several times at the CS/RS/PH level, and have been able to collect lots of points that way. You can also choose to partake in their "Go Green" program whereby they'll give you an extra days worth of points (at whatever cabin level you're at) if you forgo a twice daily room service. Good for them, good for you!

i-9TTtSjG-X2.jpg

BTW - I did not capture the points offered for their Iconic Suite - 24 per night! Of course, you can easily spend $30-50k for a week in one of those !  

Tom

• Like 4

12 hours ago, tidecat said:

I think they were all cancelled by 2019, but Carnival Corp was actually producing three TV shows simultaneously: Good Spirits (which I believe Princess has based onboard bars on several ships), Ocean Treks (highlighting shore excursions), and Vacation Creation (whee a family who has undergone hardship is given a cruise vacation).

I'm sure buying 60 minutes of airtime on broadcast TV and 30 minutes on A&E each week had a fairly healthy cost - effectively they were infomercials, even though Ocean Treks and Vacation Creation were used to meet the FCC's E/I programming requirements.

There is another show called "The Voyages with Josh Garcia" that is still on Saturday mornings (NBC).  Carnival Corp produced it.  I don't know if they are making new episodes but it showcases shore activities at different ports across the Carnival Corp lines.  Always has some shots of the ship.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wemjam said:

The problem is I am VERY willing to bet that if they revamp the program, you are going to see more things be taken or reduced or made harder to get - versus getting more (especially at lower levels like blue, red, gold).  I could see them making it take longer to get to Platinum or Diamond, etc.  So wouldn't hold my breath about getting more at Gold.

Most of the perks any of us get regardless of level (I am Diamond now) really are not that big of a deal.  The only thing I was every happy to have Platinum or Diamond status for was the priority boarding/debarking and special line at guest services - and the main thing - being able to get on and go drop my luggage in my room.  Now with the way they do the arrival appointments (which does directly translate to which zone you board in), status  doesn't really  matter, and I would not be surprised if they continue that moving forward.  We have a family trip coming up and I went in to select our boarding time 16 days out thinking I could do it for all 3 rooms because someone on the board said you could (we are Diamond and other two family rooms are Gold and Frist Timers)  - and it didn't work! (whoever posted on the boards you could was wrong, you can do all 3 rooms at the same time, but have to be within the 14 days not 16 days).   So I went back at 14 days out and selected their rooms.  We were zone A01 they were A04, so probably all of 5-10 minutes apart in boarding times (we will just board with them which we planned all along).   So no real advantage there between us Diamond and the rest of the family, two of whom are first time cruisers.

The free drink, bottle of water, small gift, etc.  NOT that big of deal all around.

And laundry service is nice, but we stopped using it years ago when clothing items came back faded, discolored, stained, etc.  I either pack enough myself to start with (which is usually the case) or just go wash a couple things if I need to.

I agree that they are more likely to remove things than add. Other lines have done that. 

I agree that these perks being kinda weak. It's why I don't believe loyalty to any brand should play a role when booking cruises. To each their own.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

Carnival's loyalty program is pretty pathetic.  I rarely use any of the perks.

Carnival already has loyal cruisers.  I don't know why everyone seems to lose their minds when Carnival does an interesting sailing once a year when there are other cruise lines that do the same or similar interesting sailings all the time. It's like they don't even consider sailing another line.  Many of those lines offer much better loyalty perks.

So why should Carnival offer more perks?  There are already so many Plat/Diamond on the ship that the priority tender is a joke.  So is boarding.

I haven't sailed Princess, but I've been sailing HAL a lot more recently.  They offer some real perks in their loyalty program.  You earn one point for each day.  You earn double points for suites.  You earn points for your onboard spending.  When you book under their Have It All fare, you get perks for that as though you purchased the dining, drink package, wi-fi separately.

When you reach 3*, you get tangible perks, like discounts on wine packages, specialty dining, logo items in the shops, spa discounts.  That discount increases are you reach 4 and 5*s.

Tangible rewards.  I reached that 75 cruise day credits to become 3* after 56 actual cruise days.  

That's how they should revamp the loyalty program.

Holland-America-cruises-Mariner-Reward-Chart.pdf 118.38 kB · 6 downloads

I hate HAL with a passion. But their 4* tier looks pretty nice with 3/4 person sailing free on some sailings. 

Princess is easy to get to Pl. It's only 5 sailings with them. If you think there are a lot of pl on CCL, there are even more on PCL. I am only ruby. But the Pl/elite/suite "lounge" is nice in that no one attends those events. So its nice to just have the place to myself and my guests for about an hour and eat free food. 

• Like 1

@Tom-n-CherylYou think the free Diamond steakhouse dinner is pathetic? 

So do I!  As a solo cruiser, who has paid 200% to Carnival for years, I asked whether I would get two dinners.  After all, if 1 person is Diamond, the dinner for the couple is free.

Nope.  I just get it for me.

Yet another way that Carnival totally screws over their solo sailors.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

@Tom-n-CherylYou think the free Diamond steakhouse dinner is pathetic? 

So do I!  As a solo cruiser, who has paid 200% to Carnival for years, I asked whether I would get two dinners.  After all, if 1 person is Diamond, the dinner for the couple is free.

Nope.  I just get it for me.

Yet another way that Carnival totally screws over their solo sailors.

Yep - that would be an additional thorn for me as well !

Tom

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tidecat said:

I think they were all cancelled by 2019, but Carnival Corp was actually producing three TV shows simultaneously: Good Spirits (which I believe Princess has based onboard bars on several ships), Ocean Treks (highlighting shore excursions), and Vacation Creation (whee a family who has undergone hardship is given a cruise vacation).

I'm sure buying 60 minutes of airtime on broadcast TV and 30 minutes on A&E each week had a fairly healthy cost - effectively they were infomercials, even though Ocean Treks and Vacation Creation were used to meet the FCC's E/I programming requirements.

These shows actually show on the channels in the room on the ships. I've never seen them outside of being on a cruise. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

These shows actually show on the channels in the room on the ships. I've never seen them outside of being on a cruise. 

Neither have I. Only in cabin programming. So IMO that doesn't count. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

8 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Neither have I. Only in cabin programming. So IMO that doesn't count. 

One of my local over-the-air TV stations (either CBS or ABC) used to show them, one after the other, on Saturday mornings.  Last I saw them was pre-COVID.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see Carnival's program move into more of a "what have you done for me lately" type of program, like many others. Meaning your level of recognition is based upon your spend in the past short amount of time - a year or two for example.

I dunno, I feel all loyalty programs are pointless, especially in this day and age.

There are too many lines, too many options and I would simply take my money to another line in a second if I thought I would get a better value for my money.

People get so hung up on perks and free stuff. I don't get it. Life's too short.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Maybe or maybe not.  Also, they may grandfather people in to certain levels, but the benefits of that level may change.  I'm just not sure they can continue giving all platinum and diamonds priority.  Another thing they did before was allowing those who would have reached platinum soon under the old program (10 cruises) a certain period of time (can't remember for sure, but seems like it was over a year) to reach that level under the old program.  I have relatives who actually reached it that way and only had around 55 cruise days.

THIS would be my guess.  People may be grandfathered in, but they will pull back on benefits for Platinum guests.  Maybe start extending the priority boarding and such to just Diamond, maybe add levels higher than Diamond with more perks.

12 minutes ago, wemjam said:

THIS would be my guess.  People may be grandfathered in, but they will pull back on benefits for Platinum guests.  Maybe start extending the priority boarding and such to just Diamond, maybe add levels higher than Diamond with more perks.

I'd be ok with "Double Diamond" - it would give me something to look forward to  (and only be a few sailings away)  🙂

Like was previously mentioned, this will likely take some time (they haven't even hired anyone yet, let alone given them a YEAR OR TWO to bounce around and implement ideas)!

Tom

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'd be ok with "Double Diamond" - it would give me something to look forward to  (and only be a few sailings away)  🙂

Like was previously mentioned, this will likely take some time (they haven't even hired anyone yet, let alone given them a YEAR OR TWO to bounce around and implement ideas)!

Tom

Another tier would be a good choice maybe Diamond Plus. Way too many Diamond cruisers now.

• Like 2