Cheers! Beverage Package medical exemption?

angelhelly

6 hours ago, CeleBrat said:

The whole "both parties have to buy it" just always seemed like a $ grab to me.  What about those who are pregnant?  Or traveling with a recovering alcoholic?  Or diabetic?

Everything Carnival does it to make money just like every other business in the world.  I guarantee they have ran the numbers and know the program could not be profitable under those terms because of the amount of people who would share one plan.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Everything Carnival does it to make money just like every other business in the world.  I guarantee they have ran the numbers and know the program could not be profitable under those terms because of the amount of people who would share one plan.

Concur, though I do understand the frustrations of those who are cruising with folks who absolutely can't/don't drink alcohol, not even a drop, it's kinda irritating that people have abused a courtesy but I certainly understand why they have the policy in place. It is what it is.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Concur, though I do understand the frustrations of those who are cruising with folks who absolutely can't/don't drink alcohol, not even a drop, it's kinda irritating that people have abused a courtesy but I certainly understand why they have the policy in place. It is what it is.   

Yup....I agree.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CeleBrat said:
  • I just don't understand given all the technology available, why Cheers can't be purchased by one person?  Seriously?  They are able to prevent children from ordering drinks because of how their card is coded.  So why can't they truly have it assigned to just one person S&S account?

The whole "both parties have to buy it" just always seemed like a $ grab to me.  What about those who are pregnant?  Or traveling with a recovering alcoholic?  Or diabetic?

There is significant value to CHEERS for getting virgin drinks, fancy coffees, milkshakes, energy drinks.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CeleBrat said:
  • I just don't understand given all the technology available, why Cheers can't be purchased by one person?  Seriously?  They are able to prevent children from ordering drinks because of how their card is coded.  So why can't they truly have it assigned to just one person S&S account?

If Cheers was not profitable for them, they would have discontinued it years ago. They don't offer it just because it's convenient and a money saver for passengers. They offer it to make a buck or two. 🙂

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

If Cheers was not profitable for them, they would have discontinued it years ago. They don't offer it just because it's convenient and a money saver for passengers. They offer it to make a buck or two. 🙂

Especially when the second passenger who has to buy it isn't a big drinker. But as long as people keep buying it under the current conditions, they'll gladly sell it.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, lilchuckie said:

I think it’s Carnival’s right to say both must buy it. What bothers me is Carnival can then not allow a person to use it.

My friends and I took a 7 day cruise for friend’s wedding. The father of the groom was working on 3 hours sleep in the previous 3 days and fell asleep in red frog pub the first night. They said he couldn’t drink the rest of the cruise and didn’t give him a refund. I mean the guy was pushing 70, he wasn’t causing a scene or being rude or fighting. I don’t even think he spilled his drink. 

My aunt was pregnant and was drinking a little on her doctor’s orders due to being a heavy drinker to avoid risk of complications from going into detox. They took her alcohol consumption privileges from her the second day and she had to sneak booze on in port in order to stay normal. 

These stories just leave a bad taste in my mouth about Carnival’s use of discretion. Especially when i’ve seen people cause scenes 7/7 nights on a cruise and nothing happens to them. 

A "doctor" advised an alcoholic pregnant woman to continue to drink and endanger the baby? Unreal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Drazil65 said:

I'm guessing, but it may have something to do with Carnival's liability if they serve a pregnant person.

The person in question must have been far enough along in her pregnancy to be showing so that it would be noticed by staff.  Under those circumstances no matter what the reason was (and let face it, the reason given is not common), the ship could have a liability issue should something happen to her aboard while drinking.  They reserve the right to cut anyone off at any time and its a chance the passengers take I guess.  

People that want to purchase cheers but are in a cabin with someone that shouldn't or cant drink should just buy their drinks outright.  Unless the one person wants to be the drinker of both packages, yikes!!!  

so the policy is both people in the cabin with no exceptions even for pregnancies but if both by the pregnant person is cut off with no refund when they see she is pregnant.

seems counterintuitive.

• Like 1

I just hate that there isn’t a package that includes all non alcoholic beverages. RCL allows exemptions by requiring the non drinker to get their refreshments package.

I’m not a big soda drinker and certainly won’t drink 15 alcoholic drinks in a day. So only having bubbles and cheers just doesn’t sit well with me.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CeleBrat said:

Plot twist, a number of people with Cheers are already diabetic or on their way there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, CeleBrat said:

Seriously? The price is based on the rules of the program. You want to change the rules, the price only goes up. You want exceptions, the price might go up more.

Why do people expect Carnival to enforce, with or without technology. Again, costs go up. Why can't people be responsible without trying to transfer responsibility to someone/something else? Looking for blame? Blame the liars and cheaters, not Carnival.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, ChutChut said:

A "doctor" advised an alcoholic pregnant woman to continue to drink and endanger the baby? Unreal.

17 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

You are most likely correct.

On 9/9/2022 at 10:17 PM, lilchuckie said:

I think it’s Carnival’s right to say both must buy it. What bothers me is Carnival can then not allow a person to use it.

My friends and I took a 7 day cruise for friend’s wedding. The father of the groom was working on 3 hours sleep in the previous 3 days and fell asleep in red frog pub the first night. They said he couldn’t drink the rest of the cruise and didn’t give him a refund. I mean the guy was pushing 70, he wasn’t causing a scene or being rude or fighting. I don’t even think he spilled his drink. 

My aunt was pregnant and was drinking a little on her doctor’s orders due to being a heavy drinker to avoid risk of complications from going into detox. They took her alcohol consumption privileges from her the second day and she had to sneak booze on in port in order to stay normal. 

These stories just leave a bad taste in my mouth about Carnival’s use of discretion. Especially when i’ve seen people cause scenes 7/7 nights on a cruise and nothing happens to them. 

On 9/10/2022 at 6:42 AM, ober134 said:

I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV....  But would a Doctor really encourage an alcoholic pregnant person to drink more? Like enough to warrant Cheers smh

I am a doctor. While I am not an OBGYN, I was trained by a big time OBGYN who writes all the guidelines that we follow. He is a part of the World Health Organization and was on the panel that deemed the COVID vaccine ok to use in pregnant patients. 

The American College of Obstetrics and Genecology says that pregnant patients should not drink. 

Alcohol and Pregnancy | ACOG

We can detox pregnant patients. 

I cannot tell you the the number of patients who "misremember" my recommendations, even when it is written in their chart and I print it out for them and hand it to them. 

No judgement; alcoholism is a disease. People will do anything to feed their addiction. I have personally delivered many babies (50+ at least) from mothers who were addicted to alcohol, meth, crack, etc. 

• Like 6

The reason for this is very simple.  A large number of people will not follow rules unless they are forced to.  Just read the threads of people justifying sharing the RCCL soda cup with their children, or breaking or getting around any rule.  I am willing to bet that if they did not require this, for some reason almost everyone would reach their 15 drink limit.  Some cruise lines allow flexibility, others do not.  

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

The reason for this is very simple.  A large number of people will not follow rules unless they are forced to.  Just read the threads of people justifying sharing the RCCL soda cup with their children, or breaking or getting around any rule.  I am willing to bet that if they did not require this, for some reason almost everyone would reach their 15 drink limit.  Some cruise lines allow flexibility, others do not.  

15 alcoholic drinks plus the unlimited nonalcoholic beverages ...a milkshake for you, a milkshake for you..milkshakes for everyone!

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

so the policy is both people in the cabin with no exceptions even for pregnancies but if both by the pregnant person is cut off with no refund when they see she is pregnant.

seems counterintuitive.

I bet this is not the whole story..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tierun said:

I just hate that there isn’t a package that includes all non alcoholic beverages. RCL allows exemptions by requiring the non drinker to get their refreshments package.

I’m not a big soda drinker and certainly won’t drink 15 alcoholic drinks in a day. So only having bubbles and cheers just doesn’t sit well with me.

You don't have to drink 15 alcoholic drinks to break even. 

so many people say they can't drink 15 alcoholic drinks so it won't be worth it to them.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, sternfanla said:

You don't have to drink 15 alcoholic drinks to break even. 

so many people say they can't drink 15 alcoholic drinks so it won't be worth it to them.

But if you don't drink the 15, then you're letting carnival win!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/10/2022 at 11:54 AM, ober134 said:

So who would be responsible for verifing claims for medical exemption? More costly paperwork and more overhead expenses the rest of us would have to bear? Maybe if Carnival charged a $200 processing fee, then maybe I would change my thinking on this topic.

How can Carnival verify a medical claim?  Thats where HIPPA gets involved as medical facilities cannot give out medical information without you giving the ok.  Usually there has to be a signed form before they will release any information.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

How can Carnival verify a medical claim?  Thats where HIPPA gets involved as medical facilities cannot give out medical information without you giving the ok.  Usually there has to be a signed form before they will release any information.

When you sign a release, the doctor's office can disclose necessary medical information to CCL when writing that letter. 

CCL would never check though. The letter should suffice.