Allure OTS - relaxed dress code expectations...

bgoff60

Not to fire back up the holy-wars...and I AM asking for a friend... but...

They said they "heard" that the expectations for a sport or better for formal nights has pretty much been forgotten.  Me personally, usually take a blazer and were according to the night or whim.  

Question:  Has anyone seen anything to support or deny this 'observation'?  

• Haha 1

After experimenting with various types of evening wear on various lines from back in the days when the maitre 'd was the clothes police, I finally settled on a cruise packing list that meets my needs and keeps me looking sharp for any evening on any cruise ship - and a lot better than the shorts, T-shirt, and ballcap crowd.

Since I often combine land travel with a cruise on one end, I pack light with mix-n-match items.  For the dress up nights, and in fact most nights since I carry a limited wardrobe, I don a pair of black jeans/slacks, a colored T-shirt, a black sport coat, and a pocket square that matches the T-shirt.

My sport coat weighs 20 ounces, so it's not a weight factor for packing.  I do, however, have an aversion for tying a rag around my neck after having to do so for years while working.

I recently rode a motorcycle 1800 miles to a cruise port with my cruise-only clothes in a small bag and still managed to carry-off my standard evening attire each evening and it was way easier than packing a lot of shorts and polos.

The bottom line is there is no longer an enforced dress code for the MDR no matter what the dress code is for that night. I assume if a man showed up wearing only a speedo or a woman showed up only wearing a thong bikini they wouldn’t be allowed in the MDR, but even then I wouldn’t be surprised if they were allowed in to the MDR. 

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The bottom line is there is no longer an enforced dress code for the MDR no matter what the dress code is for that night. I assume if a man showed up wearing only a speedo or a woman showed up only wearing a thong bikini they wouldn’t be allowed in the MDR, but even then I wouldn’t be surprised if they were allowed in to the MDR. 

"Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Occasionally the DH wears a sports coat but no tie.  Mostly either a long sleeve button down or even a short sleeve collar shirt untucked.  Alaska and the Caribbean have become super casual.  Other itineraries may vary.  I’m not saying I wouldn’t like to dress up more but almost no one does so we don’t either anymore. He has a tux but hasn’t worn it since at least a year pre pandemic.  

3 hours ago, bob63005 said:

I consider formal wear to be a shirt with a collar, but even that can be over-kill now.

I attended a funeral a couple of weeks ago and one of the deceased family members showed up with a do-rag, sweat pants, and Nike shower shoes with socks. 

Like they say, dress for success.

On our last Navigator cruise, we found that one side effect of not distributing printed Cruise Compasses is that many people will be unaware that it even is "dress your best" night -- we went looking through the app for that and it's there, but it's buried.  So between the people who don't know it's formal night, and those who know but don't care, we didn't see a lot of people dressed up.

Just wear something "nice" -- whatever that means to you.

5 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I attended a funeral a couple of weeks ago and one of the deceased family members showed up with a do-rag, sweat pants, and Nike shower shoes with socks. 

Like they say, dress for success.

Since I have buried parents, siblings and a niece ..my motto has always been to whomever came to pay their respects...

"It is not what you wear, it is the fact that you are here"...

I have appreciated every person who stopped by regardless of what they wore.

• Like 7

Just got off the Allure yesterday. Two “wear your best” nights. I choose formal because I don’t get to dress up at home. Really, not too many other places in life where I can wear a full length gown.  On one of the nights I changed into atheistic wear for dancing. I noticed most people that dress up (formal or semi formal) change after dinner.  I’d estimate that 10% were formal those nights and 30% were semi formal.   The other 60% were casual.  So basically wear what you want and you won’t stand out any way.   

Also good to know for the Allure- a white night and a 70s party.  I brought a tie-dye dress and got lots of compliments but not as many as a fellow passenger who was in head to toe sequins with a blond wig. She was very festive. 

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

I hope they are on your feet and you are wearing wool hiking socks. 🤣

Nope. Barefoot. My wife hates it. 🙂 But that is just me. I live in tevas basically 9 months per year.  So if you ever see a guy dressed up in nice clothes and tevas while cruising. It is probably me. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

"Formal night" has become "Wear Whatever the He!! You Want" night.

In all fairness, when I was on Freedom a few months ago now the app never indicated what kind of "night" it was when I clicked on and looked at the MDR in the app. I wondered how people figured it out, and as someone who is tech savvy never really saw it in the app. (In all fairness, I wasn't really looking for it, but would have noticed it)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, notscb said:

In all fairness, when I was on Freedom a few months ago now the app never indicated what kind of "night" it was when I clicked on and looked at the MDR in the app. I wondered how people figured it out, and as someone who is tech savvy never really saw it in the app. (In all fairness, I wasn't really looking for it, but would have noticed it)

Easy, Cruise Compass once on board. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Easy, Cruise Compass once on board. 

...which wasn't delivered to my stateroom any day of my 4 day cruise. I know now that it likely was available at guest services, but again, on any size ship if that's the only way it's communicated then how can we expect people to know or prepare?

5 minutes ago, notscb said:

...which wasn't delivered to my stateroom any day of my 4 day cruise. I know now that it likely was available at guest services, but again, on any size ship if that's the only way it's communicated then how can we expect people to know or prepare?

Just like we did before the app was an option.

Easy, ask. Two options. Cabin attendant, GS. 

Pre cruise, CC.

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1