What happens if only one of a couple tests positive

Reijo

22 minutes ago, Reijo said:

If a husband/wife tests positive for covid but the other doesn’t, can they quarantine together?

I tested positive in May on Quantum, my DH did not.  I had to quarantine on the ship and then finish quarantine in a hotel before flying home.  I was allowed to quarantine in our suite and my DH was moved to a balcony cabin because he was going to fly home as he needed to get back to work and we didn't want him to be stuck so far from home.  We could had chosen to have him quarantine with me but then he would have been treated as positive.  He wasn't allowed to go in the transfer to the airport hotel with me and had to disembark normally.  I was retrieved by a crew member in a hazmat suit and taken off the ship to a public health official who was coordinating the positive passengers.  

So, yes, you can quarantine together but you will have your cards flagged and won't be able to change your mind once you decide to stay together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They are still using quarantine cabins (writing from quarantine cabin on Radiance).  We self-tested and self-reported to medical.  The overall experience is not as bad as it was in the beginning of the start-up. I remember the stories of cold food and cardboard containers, this is not the case today. 

Although we were removed to an oceanview on deck 4, we are able to order MDR menu items for dinner and wine 🙂

We have cruised frequently since the start-up and this is our first exposure to Covid so the odds are still small to contract it on board.  Our exposure can be blamed on bus and train travel during a pre-cruise land tour.

Since both DH and I are positive our experience cannot answer the original OP question, just speaking to the subsequent comments on current practices.

Also - we tested negative before the land tour and tested negative before embarkation which were required by RCCL

Edited by newmercies
cannot
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Yeah. They're not doing that any more. No one seems to care.  No one seems to "confess" when they have Covid.  Everyone just goes on with his/her cruise.  Welcome to the new normal.

Just got off the Harmony on Sunday and it was reported on our FB board that 28 people who were in quarantine were taken off the ship together and sent to a hotel until they could fly home on Thursday.  Royal is supposed to reimburse them $100 per person per day for food and $250 per night for hotel.

But I think most people are not going to medical or reporting they are ill.  At least 20+ people on our board have already posted positive tests results in the last couple of days….

So yes…..they do still quarantine they just keep it very quiet!!

Edited by GTO-Girl
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Yeah. They're not doing that any more. No one seems to care.  No one seems to "confess" when they have Covid.  Everyone just goes on with his/her cruise.  Welcome to the new normal.

Covid is so watered down (mutated) their is a verry very low chance of serious illness. I read a recent article that a normal flu season will have more deaths than the current mutated covid illnesses....so yes...we should live our lives as "normal"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, newmercies said:

They are still using quarantine cabins (writing from quarantine cabin on Radiance).  We self-tested and self-reported to medical.  The overall experience is not as bad as it was in the beginning of the start-up. I remember the stories of cold food and cardboard containers, this is not the case today. 

Although we were removed to an oceanview on deck 4, we are able to order MDR menu items for dinner and wine 🙂

We have cruised frequently since the start-up and this is our first exposure to Covid so the odds are still small to contract it on board.  Our exposure can be blamed on bus and train travel during a pre-cruise land tour.

Since both DH and I are positive our experience cannot answer the original OP question, just speaking to the subsequent comments on current practices.

Also - we tested negative before the land tour and tested negative before embarkation which were required by RCCL

Sorry to hear your Alaska cruise was cut short.  Hope you both feel better soon.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

Covid is so watered down (mutated) their is a verry very low chance of serious illness. I read a recent article that a normal flu season will have more deaths than the current mutated covid illnesses....so yes...we should live our lives as "normal"

No.

Covid is still killing many more Americans than the Flu. The CDC says we're averaging 356 American Covid deaths per day right now.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#datatracker-home

That's about 130,000 per year.

Flu ranges from 12,000 to 52,000 American deaths per year.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

So Covid is still causing 2.5x to 11x as many deaths as the Flu.

Things are better than they were last year, but we are not back to "normal" yet.

I hope the links work, otherwise you can google the data.

I've been enjoying cruising this year, but with precautions.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 9/21/2022 at 4:35 PM, Reijo said:

If a husband/wife tests positive for covid but the other doesn’t, can they quarantine together?

I tested positive in May and my husband didn’t. They gave us a choice if he wanted to go into quarantine with me or stay in the cabin. We chose for him to stay in the cabin and not go into quarantine with me. We were hoping he wouldn’t test positive. They tested him everyday and the last day of the cruise he tested positive which was 4 days later. 

32 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

If you pass away and you test positive for Covid the CDC counts that ... not that you died due to covid. The USA is one of the only counties I know that count that way. 

That is simply not true. That is misinformation.

You typed that into a computer attached to the internet and could have just as easily looked up the truth instead of repeating a falsehood.

From the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/covid-19.htm#understanding-the-numbers

When COVID-19 is reported as a cause of death on the death certificate, it is coded and counted as a death due to COVID-19. COVID-19 should not be reported on the death certificate if it did not cause or contribute to the death.

Facts matter.

Here's a more detailed explanation from early last year if you're curious:

https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/how-are-covid-19-deaths-counted-it-s-complicated

• Like 3

Yes.  We were on a cruise with a couple that had that happened to them (thanks ArriveCan, their test was negative the day before for the cruise). One spouse had a comorbidity so they ended up quarantining in separate cabins. And even though the other spouse never tested positive they had to stay in quarantine because the medical staff told them they weren't boosted, even in all of RC's document it only states "fully vaccinated", not boosted.

55 minutes ago, F3rpect said:

That is simply not true. That is misinformation.

You typed that into a computer attached to the internet and could have just as easily looked up the truth instead of repeating a falsehood.

Well my information is from my neighbor and cardiologist. Not that I don't trust CDC, just don't trust it blindly 100% 

On 9/21/2022 at 8:19 PM, lcpagejr said:

COVID is not watered down...but the vaccines are working.  400 people a day are still dying from COVID.  However, we should live our lives...but be cautious...that's all.

On 9/22/2022 at 7:06 AM, F3rpect said:

No.

Covid is still killing many more Americans than the Flu. The CDC says we're averaging 356 American Covid deaths per day right now.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#datatracker-home

That's about 130,000 per year.

Flu ranges from 12,000 to 52,000 American deaths per year.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

So Covid is still causing 2.5x to 11x as many deaths as the Flu.

Things are better than they were last year, but we are not back to "normal" yet.

I hope the links work, otherwise you can google the data.

I've been enjoying cruising this year, but with precautions.

I didn’t mean to respond with a laughing face. I wanted to see who was the (can’t say it) that though that deaths were funny. Apologies.