Winter 2024/25 on sale dates

molecrochip

We were booked on Arcadia to go to Svalbard in 2008. About a month before we were due to sail my mum was taken ill, and after a couple of weeks it was clear that she wasn't going to get any better, so we had to cancel the cruise. It was the right thing to do, as she died the day before we had been due to sail.

On the day we were due to have been in Ny Alesund, I checked the web cams and it was a beautiful day with sunshine and blue skies.

As the years went on, there were other cruises we wanted to do, and it was never the quite the time to go to Svalbard, then P&O stopped going there anyway.

As of the start of 2020, we had booked up until 2022, and were earmarking 2023 or 2024 for a cruise that included Svalbard.

Of course, a lot has happened since then.  Maybe, in a few years' time, if the situation regarding 'you know what' is more stable and we find a suitable cruise that preferably goes from Southampton, Dover or Tilbury, we might consider it. But it's one of the few destinations that would still tempt me for a slightly longer cruise - I'm just not the cruiser that I was 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm searching for the film as we speak ... after young Horatio's experience I definitely won't be camping in the arctic wilderness though.  Mind you my poor old bones probably wouldn't tempt Pippaluck too much but he would no doubt love my excess blubber.

Thank you.  Fascinating to see how some of them have adapted.  I will continue my search for a suitable trip.  I note there are a couple of new entrants in the expedition market so will take a look there as well.

Looking at the Fred and Princess itineraries I assume Fred's will offer more rare sighting.  I'm just a bit worried with him cancelling and laying up ships at short notice - reading into it Hurtigruten has also been a bit dodgy in that respect.

Still certainly someone a bit more exciting than an Iona mystery trip up the fjords!

The Griff Rhys Jones one is chanel 4.

• Thanks 1

Today the latest P&O brochure arrived, my first impression was what a miserable little thing, upon reading it I think the word resurrected today “egregious” sums it up. Obviously it’s due to cost cutting, like its predecessor it only covers six or seven months, but this time as it only covers the winter its basically the Caribbean and the Canaries, with a single grand tour thrown in a the normal world cruise which is eighty per cent the same as it always is.

What is there to tempt people or inspire them to consider something different?  The old brochures used to cover eighteen months plus thus showcasing P&Os full gamut of cruises. Even the sales department has given up, it appears as other have said P&O just wants to stuff their big ships. OK many people may wish to repeat the same itineraries but many do not and look for new itineraries to tempt them. I don’t know if this publication is just sent out to regular customers who may still have the old ones, as it would hardly make a good impression on new customers.

Rant over.

Edited by Bill Y
  • Like 3

The last three posts, all valid opinions.  One bemoans offering the Canaries, one bemoans not going to the Canaries and the other wants to book a cruise on a ship that would probably be going to the Canaries if it wasn’t offering what it is.

I guess you can’t please all of the people all of the time 😁😁😁

• Haha 7

If I've retired by 2025 I might be tempted by the 35 nights on Iona but having just had 2 weeks on Azura with limited entertainment on sea days I don't think I could stand it. By limited I mean lack of variety or scheduling 3 things I want to do at the same time e.g. Fit steps, choir, art talk all on at 11 am.  Lots of music if that's your thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

It's quite depressing.  187 pages of repeats.  Am going to think about the 65 night Amazon once I can choose a cabin.

Apart from that I'm looking elsewhere for my requirements, very sad.

Interesting.

The Brochure that came in the post this morning, September 2024 - April 2025 was mere 32 pages. Maybe P&O are trying to tell me something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

Interesting.

The Brochure that came in the post this morning, September 2024 - April 2025 was mere 32 pages. Maybe P&O are trying to tell me something.

I must admit the brochure is very good. It's sadly the choice I found lacking. For instance I cruise the Caribbean every Christmas. The ports used to be more varied, yes always Anyigua, Barbados and St Lucia but others were different year on year - Dominica for instance was a great change.  I was on Britannia January 2020, December 21, will be on her this year and the itinerary is identical save for Aruba becoming Bonaire this year.  We booked Arvia for next year just for variety as Britannia is identical again. Now looking at 2024 both Britannia and Arviaxare doing exactly the same again which means Britannia hasn't varied her ports of call in 5 years.

2 hours ago, crompton21 said:

The last three posts, all valid opinions.  One bemoans offering the Canaries, one bemoans not going to the Canaries and the other wants to book a cruise on a ship that would probably be going to the Canaries if it wasn’t offering what it is.

I guess you can’t please all of the people all of the time 😁😁😁

??? I never mentioned the Canaries or if I did it was unintended!  I am looking at the Amazon/South America and would happily go on any ship P&O chooses to send there.

Lucky that some have received a brochure from P&O we dont seem to get anything from P&O not even calendar after cruising with them since 2000, once Baltic and now Caribbean and currently have 4 cruises booked with them. P&O seem to expect loyalty but cannot return it.

10 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Lucky that some have received a brochure from P&O we dont seem to get anything from P&O not even calendar after cruising with them since 2000, once Baltic and now Caribbean and currently have 4 cruises booked with them. P&O seem to expect loyalty but cannot return it.

Probably need to go into your account and tick one of the boxes to receive mail

16 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Same here. We’ve cruised with P&O since 1996 and have two cruises booked with them next year. We are definitely opted in to communications as I get countless mailings. I can only assume that they have sussed that we are considering defecting to Cunard, or even Saga and we’ve been black listed 😂 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Probably need to go into your account and tick one of the boxes to receive mail

It has all been checked and is correct and spoken to P&O numerous times by Faceache and directly with loyalty team and still don't receive anything by post or e-mail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Same here. We’ve cruised with P&O since 1996 and have two cruises booked with them next year. We are definitely opted in to communications as I get countless mailings. I can only assume that they have sussed that we are considering defecting to Cunard, or even Saga and we’ve been black listed 😂 

Well we also cruise with Cunard and Princess but don't receive anything from P&O by any means.

4 hours ago, Bill Y said:

Interesting.

We got the full 200 (?) page book - brochure is hardly the word. 

But, we won't be looking at it until the end of next year. Can't see any point in committing early, as I think P&O,  plus other cruise lines, will have to discount like mad with the oncoming recession.

We'll stick with our two Brittania cruises next year,  and wait and see.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

We got the full 200 (?) page book - brochure is hardly the word. 

But, we won't be looking at it until the end of next year. Can't see any point in committing early, as I think P&O,  plus other cruise lines, will have to discount like mad with the oncoming recession.

We'll stick with our two Brittania cruises next year,  and wait and see.

I agree.

I got the big book as well .

have 2 p&o booked for next year but will wait now before booking any more.

Edited by paulatsea
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Just to prove it does exist!!!

20221021_200545.jpg

20221021_200410.jpg

Thanks Megabear, I would not doubt you for one second.

As I wondered in post 183 it appears that there are different versions for different potential customers. You are obviously considered a high roller and are worthy of the full fat Jan 23 - Apr 25 tome, where I only qualify for the semi skimmed Sept 24 - Apr 25 brochure. still I must consider myself lucky I suppose as some have pointed out they do not get even that only fully skimmed mail shots.

You mentioned the Amazon in post 185, that is certainly a different experience, the question is for the seven days on the Amazon do wish to do the rest of the itinerary as a lot of people are Caribbeaned out?  It would seem a more interesting itinerary would be to combine the Amazon with a traditional South American cruise (Rio / BA - Santiago) but that is rarely done and probably then only by luxury brands. Certainly not by P&O as they are not welcome in Argentina after the Jeremy Clarkson fiasco, although Fred appear to be.

Christmas 2015 so don't know how much has changed

P1150481.JPG

P1150577.JPG

P1150609.JPG

P1150721.JPG

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Down here in Salisbury we had a young lad die from a polar bear attack on land. Certainly don't want to get up close with one as a result although I did meet Klondyke the polar bear cub at Sea World many years ago.  Understand he's now an enormous creature kept far from the public.

My husband has been watching videos of Churchill in Canada where the bears get up.on two paws and look through the window of a tractor you sit inside!  I'm doing more research for Greenland as suggested by Happy V, you can never tell.

If hubby would be content with Puffins you could come to Northumberland and visit the Farnes. You can walk amongst them and see the pufflings peeping out of their burrows. We very very rarely have whales but often Dolphins and hundreds of Seals

Edited by happy v

26 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Speaking of the new brochure ... 3 weeks on Iona available for less than £1500 per passenger, not bad value in terms of value...

Points noted in advance around not wanting to travel on a floating small town in terms of numbers and finding your way on board, etc etc ... ; )

Sailing in three weeks time you can currently book 14 nights for £749 on Iona (was £699 a week ago).  One of those conservatory mini suites is £998 (presumably for a cabin where you would not mind being peered at).  I assume the price drop factor maybe one reason why there aren't many posts on here saying that people have/will book at launch this time around.

Edited by crompton21

7 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

Sailing in three weeks time you can currently book 14 nights for £749 on Iona (was £699 a week ago).  One of those conservatory mini suites is £998 (presumably for a cabin where you would not mind being peered at).  I assume the price drop factor maybe one reason why there aren't many posts on here saying that people have/will book at launch this time around.

Yes, I noticed that, a particularly good deal on Ventura I saw to the Canaries also.

We were looking at a Christmas cruise, where for the last few years (including this year on Arvia) the prices have risen from launch, booking to now (this also takes out the "£100 off").  Clearly, Christmas/New Year and the school holidays are the likely ones out.   That's where we found the deal I mentioned. 

My take on the launch price issue is that with the select fare, you can move the booking before the balance is due, thereby taking advantage of any reduction in price, if its significant and your deposit exposure is 5%.  However, you also immunise from the price increase possibility, particularly for a peak time cruise.  The unknown is with headline inflation going at 10% steady and two years of inflation to factor in, I'm not sure how attractive the late deals will look in 2 years time - hard to say.  

That said, people who took the FCCs and rebooked are essentially being penalised now as I see it.

• Like 1