Winter 2024/25 on sale dates

molecrochip

6 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

It is but lots of retired people do these cruises for the weather and don't get off the ship, especially when hard of walking. We don't always get off at some islands and it is surprising how many people are around the decks. Just look how many people went on staycation cruises during the height of COVID.

Goodness that would drive me crazy.  I would have to get off at each port.  And I'm 75 and other half is 83.  Whole point of the cruise for us is getting to different ports.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Goodness that would drive me crazy.  I would have to get off at each port.  And I'm 75 and other half is 83.  Whole point of the cruise for us is getting to different ports.

A lot are of a similar view, we are the opposite. Having visited most places current main line cruise ships go to, we love warm weather sea days, so a 35 nighter to the Caribbean, sailing the southern route via Tenerife appeals.

35 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

A lot are of a similar view, we are the opposite. Having visited most places current main line cruise ships go to, we love warm weather sea days, so a 35 nighter to the Caribbean, sailing the southern route via Tenerife appeals.

Yes I've visited most places too, and have done the transatlantic, but after 3 days, I like to get off!"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes I've visited most places too, and have done the transatlantic, but after 3 days, I like to get off!"

If we did a transatlantic, DW would probably ask me to get off the ship after 3 days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

13 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

In 18 years of cruising we have only not got off at a port once, and that was Tunis. Having been there previously we both agreed never again.

2 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

I must admit I love transatlantic crossings, mainly using QM2 as my bus home after visiting friends in the US.  I also have enjoyed a couple of RCI repositioning cruises on Allure from Barcelona as she took the southern route but only stopped in Malaga, again as a bus to Florida to visit friends.

My question on how Iona would fair is because I understand her deck spaces are more limited and her dome stays closed.  I've not sailed her personally.

Just had friends repositioning on NCL's latest offering the Prima.  Slightly different as she went via Iceland and Canada with the hurricane affecting them.  However their complaint was how much was unusable in the rough weather as inside facilities are over crowded when the open sections onto the promenade equivalent were closed.  Canaries weather although reasonable is not guaranteed to be perfect in January so could Iona encounter this sort of problem? As I say I don't know her so was looking for general opinion on the idea.  I'm not a huge fan of Ventura so was thinking this might be an offering I can consider.

5 hours ago, Red Ray said:

In 18 years of cruising we have only not got off at a port once, and that was Tunis. Having been there previously we both agreed never again.

Only time we both didn't get off at a port was Le Havre.  Had been there before and decided it would be much nicer to stay on the ship rather than wander round the shopping mall again.

Was pleased last year when we couldn't get into Vigo last year.  Got £150 from the hols insurance company, when we were thinking of staying on board anyway.

The Ole Lady stayed on board in Tenerife once as well.  Mind you, Ventura had broken down and we ended up being stuck there for five days.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, zap99 said:

If we did a transatlantic, DW would probably ask me to get off the ship after 3 days.

We did a 35 nighter Jan 2020 and couldn’t believe that we only had one small tiff - and not until week 4! The children just didn’t believe us when we told them after getting home. I think we were so relaxed and chilled that nothing could have annoyed either of us! 

• Like 6

Could anybody who is expirenced in world criuse intinerary`s say that the ports on the 2025 Worldie are a good choice? or are they pretty much repetitive? We will be retired by then so thought we might try one, just wish it was Aurora though. 

32 minutes ago, costalota said:

Could anybody who is expirenced in world criuse intinerary`s say that the ports on the 2025 Worldie are a good choice? or are they pretty much repetitive? We will be retired by then so thought we might try one, just wish it was Aurora though. 

I’ve only done world cruises on Aurora (2012/13/14 when world was very different) but have visited most of those ports.
In my opinion, I’d say the itinerary was a good one and going the right way round - But it’s very much down to what you personally want to see and do.

• Like 1

Lots of emails from cruise company's this morning tempting me to pre register for 24/25.

Very tempted with the Iona Jan 25, 35 nights, non fly to Caribbean via Tenerife, the warmer route. 

Is it worth committing at this time, who knows what the price will be nearer the time ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Lots of emails from cruise company's this morning tempting me to pre register for 24/25.

Very tempted with the Iona Jan 25, 35 nights, non fly to Caribbean via Tenerife, the warmer route. 

Is it worth committing at this time, who knows what the price will be nearer the time ?

I think it depends on the deposit. If it is only £50 you have nothing really to lose.

• Like 1

Just looked through all the itineraries for every ship. I don’t think we will be booking. Several reasons. Few itineraries appeal. Launch prices (Balcony, Select fares) are more than we usually pay. Also, we aren’t too keen to commit to more cruises with P&O until we have experienced the ‘post Covid’ P&O (that I’ve read so much about on this forum) for ourselves. That means waiting until we have done our Iona and Ventura cruises next year. We’ve always booked at launch and found that subsequent prices have never been bettered, but my sense is that with the likely economic climate over the next few years, there will be bargains to be had and booking two plus years out might be unwise (especially at these launch prices). Finally, even though our last cruise got us to Caribbean tier with P&O, we are wondering if it might be time to try some other cruise lines. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Just looked through all the itineraries for every ship. I don’t think we will be booking. Several reasons. Few itineraries appeal. Launch prices (Balcony, Select fares) are more than we usually pay. Also, we aren’t too keen to commit to more cruises with P&O until we have experienced the ‘post Covid’ P&O (that I’ve read so much about on this forum) for ourselves. That means waiting until we have done our Iona and Ventura cruises next year. We’ve always booked at launch and found that subsequent prices have never been bettered, but my sense is that with the likely economic climate over the next few years, there will be bargains to be had and booking two plus years out might be unwise (especially at these launch prices). Finally, even though our last cruise got us to Caribbean tier with P&O, we are wondering if it might be time to try some other cruise lines. 

Same here nothing tempts us same old boring itineraries, I’m sure I saw a post with an advert saying they’d be price matching for these new one did anyone else see it?

• Like 1

In a different world, I’d probably be looking at either of the two Ventura 35 night cruises in 2025. The earlier one has a more interesting itinerary, but the later one coincides with my 65th birthday. 

I’d avoid the 35 night Iona cruise to the Caribbean. There’s only 7 Caribbean ports and stacks of sea days. Seems to be some very slow sailing, as Iona doesn’t get to Tenerife until day 6, and the first Caribbean port isn’t until day 14 

8 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’d avoid the 35 night Iona cruise to the Caribbean. There’s only 7 Caribbean ports and stacks of sea days. Seems to be some very slow sailing, as Iona doesn’t get to Tenerife until day 6, and the first Caribbean port isn’t until day 14 

Seems to be a thing with Iona. A few weeks ago she was in Lisbon on the same day as Ventura. Iona left and did a very slow plod directly back to Southampton, whereas Ventura did a full day in Vigo the next day, yet they both arrived in Southampton the same morning! We aren’t fans of sea days, especially those that are created ‘for the sake of it’. We much prefer port days, even if we only get off for a few hours and then enjoy watching the comings and goings from our balcony for the rest of the day!

• Like 1