The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday September 27th, 2022

richwmn

Today is World Tourism Day, National Voter Registration Day, and National Day of Forgiveness

All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.--Edgar Allan Poe

Meal Suggestion for today - skillet chicken
Drink of the Day - Guava Spice
Wine of the Day - Villa Wolf 2019 Gewürztraminer (Pfalz) Germany
Destination of the Day - Havre-Saint-Pierre, Quebec, Canada

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska - Icy Strait Point, Hoonah, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 20:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Halifax, Canada

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Trieste, Italy 17:00 -

Rotterdam

Eidfjord, Norway Hardangerfjord 07:00 - 15:00

Volendam

Corfu Island, Kerkyra, Greece 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 14:00 - 23:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Baie Comeau, Quebec, Canada eta 9/28

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 09/28

0927World.thumb.png.fd8607101a840d0d58e7fe15eb766232.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 14

Thank you for the Tuesday report, Rich.  Three great days, I do hope all US Dailyites are current with their voter registrations, and as noted in the quote a few days ago I hope I am strong enough to forgive when appropriate.  Special wishes for safety of our Florida and Georgia Dailyites.  We expect remnants of Ian over the weekend;  it shouldn't be much by then but my booster appointment is for Saturday during a walk in a local park and I hope it doesn't get rained out.  An interesting quote by a native of my state.  I have not been to Havre St. Pierre, although I see Amera (former Prinsendam) will call next August.  Today's meal actually sounds pretty close to my alternative,  Apricot Soup, Rosemary Roast Chicken, and Peach Crisp as served on MS Oosterdam September 27, 2017..

dishes27.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP MissG DFIL 9/22/22
Western wildfires  and those in Fiona’s wake
Threat from Ian
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
LocoLoco1 recovering from back surgery
Cruisin Terri leak damage

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

last week of work for kplady
Welcome home Debbie
5 days for Dismomx5 (Rotterdam 10/2 to 10/27)
4 days for HorizoCn Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12)
2 days for LoveTheBeach (Adventure OTS 9/29 to 10/8)
Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
0106 covering menus for dfish
fatcat04 (Nieuw Statendam to 10/2), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Another rainy day here.   According to our backyard rain gauge we had 30mm (over 1 inch) of rain by suppertime yesterday and it's been raining off and on since.  Showers are supposed to continue all day.  Wish we could send this rain to the west coast to help with the forest fires.  Big clean up continues in the Maritimes, it will take a while.

I'd love to be a tourist but that will wait until next year.  Our municipal elections are next month, I'm on the voters list and I will vote!  I will forgive some people.

Interesting quote.

Looking forward to seeing the recipe for today's meal, that may be dinner tonight!

Not sure about the drink, we'll see how spicy it is.  I hope the wine isn't too sweet.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 27

Good afternoon from a sunny but cold 46°F North East England.

Thank you for the fleet reports and Daily Rich and Roy for keeping the lists updated.

We are registered for postal voting in England.

Some things can never be forgiven but hopefully for everything else we can forgive.

World tourism and cruising can work together.

Nice meal today.

Sometimes our dreams can be a jumbled up modem from our real lives.

We have never been to today's port so photos are very welcome.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone in the path of hurricanes and for everyone who is unwell.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 27

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I’m curious about today’s meal suggestion and look forward to pictures and recipes.  We will do early voting next month since we should be on the NA on Election Day.  I hope that everyone has a good day today.

image.png.bba36b68578205835b9cfdd251a466c6.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich!  Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. 

Morning Dailyites. There is an eerie color to the morning sky today. My pool guru just left after making sure the pool chemicals are ready for the rain we are predicted to receive. I do not have a great deal of prep to do. That is the good thing about just getting back from a long trip - I haven’t had a lot of time to mess the place up. 

Off to the gym. Will try to get a bit of a workout in as well as my regular class. Who knows when I will be able to get there the rest of the week. 

911F8769-A706-4070-8F8B-3B925438A9F7.jpeg.5ed40549887940e06b78dd2bffbdaa1a.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Sneaking an extra prayer in for Frank. And extra prayers for everyone on the West Coast of Florida. Stay safe. 
Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Villa Wolf 2019 Gewürztraminer (Pfalz)

This wine variety is one that usually can only enjoy with food. But consumers love it. And the critics comments & price make me want to taste this one. Available from numerous online distributors with prices starting at $10.69.

Winemaker Notes

Villa Wolf Gewürztraminer is clean, fruity, and wonderfully light on its feet. It shows off the aromatic charm of the variety without becoming heavy or ponderous. Harvested at optimal ripeness, the wine has a deliciously juicy texture and a delightfully delicate aroma of spice and fresh roses. It is very refreshing to drink on its own and makes a perfect accompaniment to spicy cuisines and pungent cheeses, such as Munster, a classic pairing.

Critical Acclaim

WW91 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com
The 2019 Villa Wolf Gewürztraminer is delightful and aromatic. TASTING NOTES: This wine brings aromas and flavors of dried earth, flowers, and spice to the party. Serve it with Cantonese-style lobster noodles with a sprinkling of dried red pepper flakes. (Tasted: April 26, 2021, San Francisco, CA)
WE90 Wine Enthusiast

Classic notes of lychee, white tea and honeysuckle extend from nose to finish in this gorgeously perfumed, fruity white. Just a lip-smacking shade off dry, it’s a juicy, exuberantly fresh sip that’s perfect as an aperitif or accompaniment to delicate spiced foods. It’s a fantastic bang-for-your-buck find that’s best enjoyed young.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.--Edgar Allan Poe

This quote reminds me of the marriage ceremony in The Princess Bride; as a pastor that officiates weddings at times, I have been tempted to imitate the impressive clergyman.

"Mawage is wot bwings us together today. Mawage, that blessed awangement, that dweam wifin a dweam. And wuv, tru wuv, will fowow you foweva. So tweasure your wuv."

Bolt Creek Fire update: the fire has reached highway 2 near Skykomish to the north of the highway. Highway 2 had been closed from September 19 through the morning of September 24. It closed again last night at 10:30. 

Here is a picture from Railroad Avenue East in town:

403184840_railroadavenueday17.jpg.c20186a599e4343192868f7f040879ed.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 18

Guava Spice cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Basil Hayden's® Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
5 cubes Guava
1/2 part Lime Juice
1/4 part Maraschino Liqueur
1/4 part Anise Liqueur
Garnish with Mint Sprig
Garnish with Lime Wedges

Instructions
Add guava cubes to a cocktail shaker and muddle. Add remaining ingredients with ice and shake vigorously. Strain into a Collins glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish with several mint sprigs and a wedge of lime.

Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 7.56.09 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 12

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich 🙂 

Great collection of days.  I will happily celebrate tourism and hope to be one soon (although I prefer the term traveller to tourist 😉).  Forgiveness can be difficult at times but it’s so important.  It can help you ‘let go’ and be cleansing.  Not sure about today’s quote.

Officials are warning that it is going to take a long time for Atlantic Canada to recover from Fiona.  Clean up is going to be going on for some time to come 😢

584ABFE7-C8A8-4AE2-A092-5B81F7C5BB4D.thumb.jpeg.afc248f1f76710abd63e7894b30e1c58.jpeg

Hoping Ian does not cause too much damage or cost lives and praying for all affected by it 🙏🏻 

I don’t know if I made a fatal error or not.  I booked a cruise over Christmas and New Year’s yesterday.  Am I crazy?  Have a bunch of errands to do today in prep for my cruise that is coming up.  I hope the car stops pulling 😉 

24FC334E-F15D-47B9-A4D1-46A0BD07BC4F.jpeg.458240003bd5e10981eb14976ac9ee86.jpeg

Prayers for everyone in the Path of Ian 🙏🏻, on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Tuesday everyone!

FCCB2EC6-3C67-4E84-BF5C-0646238E9F53.jpeg.368b4a8d6a6c837d7f27c53dee255ee4.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when/where needed.

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Good morning friends!  Prayers for all in the path of Ian!  I am hoping and praying DGD is safely settled in Jupiter.  Awaiting word from DD.  

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor today's Daily and Fleet Report.  I am definitely registered to vote and have changed cruise plans in the past so we wouldn't miss our chance to vote.  We try to vote early in case something comes up before Election Day that would keep us from getting to the polls.  I salute forgiveness, and also tourism.  Skillet chicken sounds good to me!  Nice to see all our BHBs in service.  Havre-Saint-Pierre, Quebec, Canada sounds like a lovely place and I would love to go there sometime.  It was last port of the day on Dec.12, 2021 so here is a link to Rich's post from that date.

Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers have been said for the Care list, DGD and all in the path of Ian, those affected by Fiona, people of Ukraine, and recently departed family and friends.  Cheers to all on the Celebration list.  @HAL4NOWI hope the fires are contained soon or at least let the weather change to help out.  I noticed a weather alert here today for our area due to dry weather lately and low humidity levels this afternoon, which could cause fire spread.  @*Miss G*safe travels for you today.  I can't sleep before a trip either.  

I will be having an old filling replaced this morning, then we will stock up at the grocery store before the storm hits here this weekend.  We have no plans the rest of the week so will stay inside and safe.

Have a great day all!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning,

Thank you, Rich, for the Fleet Report and Daily.

I like the days.  I have been trying to tour the world.  Haven’t been everywhere but enjoyed the places I’ve been,  I am registered to vote and it is important that we have as many people who are eligible to vote to register.  

Forgiveness, is as important to the offender as it is to the offender.  If you don’t forgive you let the offender rent space in your head and you don’t move on.  It does not mean you forget, nor does it mean that it makes the offending act right.  Only that you have chosen to move on and dwell on the event.

I like the meal and am interested to see what Debbie comes up with.

The wine sounds good and the price is right.

Will pass on the drink.

Have not been to the destination and look forward to seeing the photos from those who have.

Well, I survived the night in our house.  I slept in the den on the sofa (my choice) and Jim slept on the bed (small double) in the spare bedroom.  The other two bedrooms are not habitable.  I chose the den so that I could watch the only TV still hooked up (I like Morning Joe). Jim likes to sleep late.

It wasn’t the most comfortable but I managed.  

Last night i discovered that I lost an earring sometime during the day yesterday.  I am upset by it because Jim and Eugene gave them to me for my birthday and I wear them everyday.  I will go out to my car and hope it fell in it during the drive from Harbour Island yesterday.  I know I did not leave it in the condo. The only other possibility is at the gas station where I stopped.  If I lost it there, it is gone.

Today I am devoting to ironing the clothes I need for our trip and then try to do some serious packing.  Still not sure if we are going.   I looked at the weather forecast for Barbados and while it is not impacted by Ian, the forecast is not great.  It is showing rain for the first week.  Not making me happy.  

Jim has a doctor’s appointment. 

I have to try to get some water just in case.  I have enough food for the week.

Prayers for those on the cares list.  And Cheers for those celebrating and cruising. 

Special prayers for those in the path of Ian, especially on the west coast on Florida.

Stay safe everyone.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  First off prayers for safety for all of our friends and family in FL.  This one looks to be one to cause a lot of flooding and damage.  Please stay safe!  DF just called his brother in Lakeland who is probably going to sit tight in his east facing  second floor condo.     

I just shot off an email to all my friends in family in Baltimore for an update on what the sensationalist weather people are calling for Sunday's Ravens game.  My Accuweather shows Ian as a flag.   It says Sunday off and on rain during the game but pretty solid while we do the two mile walkover from our parking garage in downtown.   Winds sustained at 12 with gusts to 20 and 62 degrees.  I will have to make a decision to list my tickets and stay home or hit the road and hope for the best later today.  I have lived through enough hurricane remnants in Baltimore County to know that there can be a lot of rain but then some of the times they are completely wrong.   

Rich, thank you for the Daily Reports!   I cannot wrap my brain around that quote.   The chicken dish will probably be great, I think I will pass on the drink but the German wine looks great.  Thanks to everyone who provides this content!    

Thanks to all who prayed for my friend Frank.   He is complaining about the food and lack of a priest to give him communion so he is still feisty.  He probably will be kicked out to a rehab today.   

Prayers for all on our care list, the people of FL and GA in Ian's path and the people of Ukraine.  🙏

coneflower and pollinators LK '11.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

@Cat in my lap Just in case you haven't heard this, Tampa International Airport (TPA) will close at 5pm today, Tues, Sept 27.  According to TPA's website reopening after Ian will be based on:

"Damage assessments will begin as soon as it is safe to do so. TPA will closely coordinate the reopening of the airport with its partners based on roadway safety, facility readiness, and staffing."

Know you were scheduled into TPA on Thursday. Stay safe whatever alternate plans you make,

-M.

Edited by HAL Sailer
typo
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Good Tuesday Morning Dailytes!  I did wake up at 5 this morning and think it was Sunday.  When I realized it wasn't I said to myself "go back to sleep for one hour", and 3 hours later I woke up. 52 degrees currently in Stone Mountain GA this morning.  Sunny.  And the errands we didn't do yesterday, we must do this morning,

Tazi managed to find a flea, and she is allergic to them, and kept me up for a while trying to scratch, so meds are ordered and ready for pick up. Its' time to get the bird food for my outdoor feathered friends. 

@cat shepard and @kazu I love your memes today!

I thought the quote was from the Moody Blues, was surprised to see Poe as the author.  And @HAL4NOW I love your quote from the Princess Bride, your spelling nailed the accent!   One of my favorite movies, with music from my favorite Musician.

DH and I refer to each other as tourerists when we travel.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2