The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday September 27th, 2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

RNB reporting live from the Tampa Bay Area. Sorry, no Jimmy Cantore.

@RedneckBob @MISTER 67 @aliaschief and all Daily-ites:

I just got it 'on very good word' that Jim Cantore has just checked into the Punta Gorda Springhill Suites. 

I agree with @MISTER 67 that the latest updates are predicting landfall in Venice.

(My family's place is about halfway between @MISTER 67 and Venice.)

So, I can't explain why Cantore picked a Punta Gorda hotel -- especially since it would take at least 45 minutes to drive from P.G. to Venice as one has to drive around Charlotte Harbor. 

No matter. If Cantore has moved south from Clearwater Beach than Hurricane Ian is likely moving south, too. 

Charlotte Co Emergency Management just held a very concerned (and also concerning) press conference.

Stay safe everyone,

-M.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 7

19 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Those of you wondering who was the Dalyite from Punta Gorda, that would be me. I haven't been posting much lately but I do read the Report and Daily quite often. 

As far as Ian is concerned, it looks like landfall will be midday Wednesday in Venice which is about 25 miles northwest of our condo. We've have lived in Florida 29 years and have hunkered down for every hurricane since 1993 and am staying for this one, if we lived near the coast we would probably evacuate because of the storm surge.

Ian is almost on the same track as Charlie back in 2004 which did quite a bit of damage to Charlotte County. We also had a close encounter with Irma in 2017 and lost power for a week and of course Charlie in 2004.

Right now we have very light showers with a light breeze but we're going to get tons of rain depending how slow the storm passes by us with winds along the coast at 125 MPH and lower further inland.

If we continue to have power, I'll give some more updates tomorrow.

Thank you for checking in!

I am also inland. Though the rain predicted for my area has increased now that the storm is expected to skew Eastward. I am ready. 

• Like 19

1 minute ago, Rowsby said:

Thought I should check in...and confess that at the last moment...I extended my vacation for another month...☺️

I will fly home on October 28th...

I hope everyone is staying well...and staying out of harms way...!!!

19022642_PXL_20220927_0437593722.thumb.jpg.f82fac9304c85c66b39369ba093da724.jpgPXL_20220924_205902254.thumb.jpg.7a1cad7a21debae1711f64dec32c3fa6.jpg

Now, that is some really exciting news!  Another month.  Good for you and I hope you enjoy your extended time on vacay!  Beautiful view you have there, especially the sunsets/sunrises.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

The beach in our neighborhood is too flat to survive much storm surge...

image.thumb.jpg.04f8d5fbea62018004baa5c2fb50d663.jpg

Prayers that everyone will evacuate. Beaches can be renewed, buildings can be rebuilt, but lives can be lost...

-Melisa 

Edited by HAL Sailer
no edit
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dfish said:

Wow, did I sleep in this morning.  I don't think I've slept that late in ages.  Yesterday's travel wore me out.  I'm hoping the next time I make that trip it will be because of moving.  

Me too 🤞 

6 hours ago, dfish said:

@kazu Jacqui, I think it is great that you booked a cruise for over Christmas and New Years.  Sue and I were going to do one but decided we wanted the cruises next summer more.  $$$ is finite. Instead we will spend the holidays in our new home.  We hope.  

I’m not sure if I am doing the right thing or a rationale decision, Debbie - I’m doing lunch tomorrow after grief counselling and will ask if I am crazy.  My money is a tad finite too (at least right now with the markets)

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Yesterday I was trimming the rose tree and a spider walked up my wrist. I went to shake it off and it bit me. I have a huge bruise and knot. ALMOST as painful as the fire ants last week. 

Yikes 😱. I hope it heals quickly and you are feeling much better soon.  🤞 

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Does anyone know how long the ships keep the lost and found items? I know it's a crapshoot but I lost my diamond earring on Rotterdam last year and I checked every day to see if it was recovered. Where do the items go when they are unclaimed? We will be on her Dec 11th and I'll make one last inquiry..

Did you contact the lost and found department at HAL (it’s available under contacts).  Sounds like you did.  If the ship finds things, they are not kept on board - they are sent to Seattle.

If Lost and Found doesn’t have it and if there was a way, I would ask if there was any way you could check the old room.  Could it be under the bed?  We lost something once in the midst of packing.  - went down in the bottom of the covers and I didn’t realize until we got home an unpacked.

To me it was no big deal - but DH?  OMG.  So I reached out and about 2 weeks later I got a call asking for a description - did that and it was sent to us special shipment on HAL’s dime 👍. I hope you can have the same success story 🙏🏻 

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Just received a phone call. The dishwasher installers are on their way. And the congregation said!  AMEN!

Woo Hoo.  👏 👏 👏 So happy to hear this.  So glad your job is over 👍 

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Tuesday. I can’t believe that we leave for Quebec City one week from today. Getting excited but also stressed because I’ve been so unorganized because of not feeling well due to my psoriasis.

Hoping you have a fabulous time and can find a way to conquer the psoriasis 🙏🏻 

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Jacqui @kazu, I think it’s great you booked a Holiday cruise!  It sounds fun. We really enjoyed our Holiday cruise last year. 

Thanks.  There’s no “we” though here so hopefully I am not making a mistake.

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Interesting days - as others have said, I'd rather be called a traveler than a tourist. Not sure about the quote, will pass on the drink but the meal and wine both sound very good. 

A very, very happy anniversary to you both.

C4EC0EEA-8510-42FC-91D9-10A31AA2863E.gif.282a114a3dd5a2e99d87c0d2f01feecb.gif

3 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

In an hour, I do the online check in for our flight to Montreal. This is really going to happen!

Your plans sound wonderful.  I really hope you have a fabulous time!

84971045-3094-4CD7-AA02-8CF095D2B6F4.jpeg.dfeb4cc29551c572bf579f5a3cd1790c.jpeg

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

DH and I are in a pleasant state of mild shock.  He called the spine surgeon early this morning for an appointment.  We expected a wait of weeks if not months, but he has an appointment at 1:15 this afternoon in Waco!  👏 👍

Yay 👏. Excellent news!

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@kazu  Jacqui, that's wonderful news about the Christmas/ New Year's cruise.

Thanks - still not sure if I am doing the right thing.  A good night’s sleep will settle it in my mind, I hope

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Sorry to be a downer today.  This too shall pass!

You are not a downer at all.  Covid is not a fun journey - so sorry this had happened to you and Pat.  I guess, we don’t know what the future will bring and all we can do is wait, watch and do our best to be resilient.

14 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Right now we have very light showers with a light breeze but we're going to get tons of rain depending how slow the storm passes by us with winds along the coast at 125 MPH and lower further inland.

If we continue to have power, I'll give some more updates tomorrow.

Stay as safe as you can please?  Prayers are with you and everyone in the path of this storm 🙏🏻 

19 minutes ago, Rowsby said:

Thought I should check in...and confess that at the last moment...I extended my vacation for another month...☺️

YAY 🙂.  Good for you. 👍 If you’re staying I’m guessing you are enjoying your time and I am SO happy to hear it 🙂 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon, time for a mid-afternoon check in.  I was ahead of myself this morning, thinking it was Wednesday; DH has his booster tomorrow afternoon.  And, instead of making chicken for dinner tonight, our friend called and will be taking us out for dinner as a thank you for officiating at Melodie's celebration of life.

@Cruising-alongwishing you and DH a very Happy Anniversary, with many more years of love and laughter ahead!

@Horizon chaser 1957Bon Voyage; have a wonderful time - I look forward to your blog entries!462030788_VoyageAnchor.thumb.png.ffe2a02bb2f018ce7113421980e1119b.png

@Quartzsite Cruiserthat's great news about DH's appointment for tomorrow - I hope it goes well.

@aliaschiefwoo hoo for the new dishwasher!!

@kazuI think you are wise to make arrangements to be away from home for the holidays; it can be tough enough at the best of times, let alone during the holiday season.  

Sending good vibes to all in Ian's path, whether he turns into a tropical storm, or a full blown you-know-what, I hope everyone stays safe.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Tuesday. I can’t believe that we leave for Quebec City one week from today. Getting excited but also stressed because I’ve been so unorganized because of not feeling well due to my psoriasis. I spent a lot of time on the phone yesterday with a support group that is supposed to help pay for the medication. First call I was hung up on, then told that I qualify but had to call a different group that handles Medicare. That first person I couldn’t understand, it sounded like she was in India and kept putting me on hold, it sounded like children were in the background. In the end she said I didn’t qualify so I decided to call again. Second person said I didn’t qualify but that I could reapply through the mail and get a doctor’s note, which I can’t get done before I leave. I don’t understand how they think I could afford over $4,000 a month for a prescription.  I decided to channel Scarlet O’Hara and worry about it tomorrow. 

Jacqui @kazu, I think it’s great you booked a Holiday cruise!  It sounds fun. We really enjoyed our Holiday cruise last year. 

Joy @Seasick Sailor, I don’t know how long they keep the lost and found either. Craig lost his EarPods in June on the Oosterdam and we finally gave up. I think he left them on a table in aft pool area after reading and drinking his hot tea and they either got tossed in the trash or someone picked them up and kept them. 

Today’s saucy skillet chicken sounds good. Thank you for the recipes Debbie @dfish. I hope your offer gets accepted on the house. 

Craig is off to a cardiologist appointment and I have some errands to run plus I have some shopping I did for DM that I need to deliver to her. 

Have a great day everyone!

Keep trying with the drug companies.I took these meds for many years and could never have managed their  prices.

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Interesting days - as others have said, I'd rather be called a traveler than a tourist. Not sure about the quote, will pass on the drink but the meal and wine both sound very good.  But tonight will be a nice dinner (that I won't be cooking) because it's our anniversary.

Hoping we have some photos today of the port, have never been to this one.  

Debbie @dfishhoping the seller accepts your offer today.

Geri @ger_77we also saw Jupiter last night!  When I looked the first time, it hadn't risen above the trees across the street so I was looking at the wrong one -- then later WOW what a difference and a thrill to see it so bright and big!  Very thankful we had a clear night here to see it.

@HAL4NOWthank you for the update this morning.  We need some rain!  Your news would explain why we smelled smoke later last night for the first time in over a week.

Happy Anniversary.  Enjoy your special  day

Edited by smitty34877
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

It’s official! I have quit my dishwashing job!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Bruce, you do know that you have to wash the dishes before loading the dishwasher. That way they come out clean.  ☺️

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you Roy!

Thank you Charlene 🙂  

Thank you! 

Thank you Sandi!

Laura @Horizon chaser 1957Bon Voyage, and have a wonderful time!!!

@RedneckBobplease stay safe!

@fatcat04Enjoy the NS!  I was so happy to see that your Captain is Noel O'Driscoll.  I was hoping he's Captain because we will board the NS on the 8th and he was Captain on the NS when we sailed in 2019.  He also performed our 50th wedding vow renewal then.

Thanks cruising-along. I guess it took three days of hard work to get the storm to move south, so far, but it still means someone will suffer. Yesterday on the Weather Channel, someone reported that if the storm came up Tampa Bay, there would be over $170 billion dollars of damage from the storm surge. Last major storm in Tampa was 1921 when there were less than 250,000 people. Now there is over three million.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

@RedneckBob @MISTER 67 @aliaschief and all Daily-ites:

I just got it 'on very good word' that Jim Cantore has just checked into the Punta Gorda Springhill Suites. 

I agree with @MISTER 67 that the latest updates are predicting landfall in Venice.

(My family's place is about halfway between @MISTER 67 and Venice.)

So, I can't explain why Cantore picked a Punta Gorda hotel -- especially since it would take at least 45 minutes to drive from P.G. to Venice as one has to drive around Charlotte Harbor. 

No matter. If Cantore has moved south from Clearwater Beach than Hurricane Ian is likely moving south, too. 

Charlotte Co Emergency Management just held a very concerned (and also concerning) press conference.

Stay safe everyone,

-M.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I’m not sure if I am doing the right thing or a rationale decision, Debbie - I’m doing lunch tomorrow after grief counselling and will ask if I am crazy.  My money is a tad finite too (at least right now with the markets)

Everyone is different and copes in different ways.  After our Dad died my sister and I were kind of adrift and we thought about cruising during the holidays.  We may someday, but then we decided to get our own place now so we had some place to land.  We were in the wind until 2 days before Christmas last year.  

@Rowsby Good for you!   

@MISTER 67 Thank you for checking in and letting us know how you are doing.  Do continue to check in during the storm if you can.  We will all be worried.

Ok, some good news!   The sellers responded to our offer with a counter offer.   We accepted most of their stipulations and are pretty close on money.  Hopefully we will meet in the middle.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, dfish said:

Ok, some good news!   The sellers responded to our offer with a counter offer.   We accepted most of their stipulations and are pretty close on money.  Hopefully we will meet in the middle.

That's great news; hopefully you and your sister will soon be the owners of a new home and can start thinking about where you'll unpack!

• Like 13

35 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Bruce, you do know that you have to wash the dishes before loading the dishwasher. That way they come out clean.  ☺️

Not if they have the right dishwasher, they don’t 😉. I clean my plates off of course, but unless it is really messy there is no need to rinse.  DH did and ignored me telling him it had a grinder.

Dishes come out just fine - trust me - I ran 9 loads after the celebration of life and I did NOT wash them before hand 😉 

The best trick actually is to run your hot water first - get it hot and then run the dishwasher so that hot water gets in right away.  At least, it works for me.

4 minutes ago, dfish said:

Everyone is different and copes in different ways.  After our Dad died my sister and I were kind of adrift and we thought about cruising during the holidays.  We may someday, but then we decided to get our own place now so we had some place to land.  We were in the wind until 2 days before Christmas last year.  

thanks Debbie - I’ll figure it out tomorrow.  I’d like to be on a different cruise with some CC friends but I really don’t like Western Caribbean.  ABC islands are my choice spots 😉 

4 minutes ago, dfish said:

That is really good news - I hope it all comes together for you 🤞 

You deserve a break today 

• Like 16

54 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

I scrape scraps from the dishes but modern dishwashers and detergents are designed not to pre rinse.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/cleaning/a33322/stop-prerinsing-dishes/

The plumber installer told us today a couple of tips. Don’t through spoiled milk down your drain. It curdles and clog’s your pipes. A few times a year add a cup of vinegar directly into your dishwasher and run it to clean it out.

And that’s my Good Housekeeping tip of the day!😁

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

Just a quick note, and then I'll catch up with the rest of the Daily later.

The doctors appointment went better than we expected.  We thought we'd have to jump through more hoops before DH was cleared for surgery.  It turns out, that he has met the criteria, and is cleared for surgery.

The type of spinal fusion surgery the doctor uses is a two stage surgery.  The first one is scheduled for October 11, two weeks from today.  The second surgery will be October 24.  Both require a small incision of just a few inches and an overnight stay in the hospital..

The doctor uses a new technology that does not use large screws to fuse the spine, but a polymer disk between the vertebrae which is inserted in the first surgery.  The second on uses polymer "zip ties" to hold the vertebrae steady.

There is a follow up visit in November and another in late December, so it looks like we will be in Texas for Christmas this year.  The doctor schedules follow up visits every two months for a year.  However, if we go to Arizona after the first of the year, the four month visit can be a telemed visit and he can get an x-ray before the visit in Quartzsite.

We have to be at the hospital which is two hours away at  8:30 Thursday morning for the pre-op lab tests and an MRI.  

It will be a busy week here.

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

I actually made sautéed chicken last night! It was supposed to be on Sunday but I forgot to take it out of the freezer in time. I use a recipe from Julia Child's very first television series. This time I did the very un-French thing of putting sliced carrots in the skillet with it, because I like carrots better when they are cooked with something else (or roasted), instead of being boiled, and I had a lot of carrots on hand.

Rosh Hashanah services were great, especially the music. The rabbi is a gifted musician himself, there is a talented cantorial soloist who is working hard at learning liturgy, and the volunteer choir was the largest it has ever been. My Torah reading this morning seemed to impress the gullible, but in fact it contained a fair number of errors, all corrected, partly because the script in the scroll we were using isn't very legible; I don't know the text completely from memory and have to look at the words, which is the way you're supposed to do it.

I started a subscription to Misfits Market last week, and the first order came today. It's supposed to save money and prevent waste, but I'm not sure that it does either one. It may work well for me anyway, because it's very strong on produce and I tend not to buy enough, or sufficiently varied, fresh vegetables. Their system populates the shopping cart on a specific day each week, and then there's a period of more than 48 hours to review it, change the order, or cancel it.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, kazu said:

A very, very happy anniversary to you both.

C4EC0EEA-8510-42FC-91D9-10A31AA2863E.gif.282a114a3dd5a2e99d87c0d2f01feecb.gif

Thank you Jacqui! Getting ready for a cruise is the best way to celebrate (that and not cooking) 😉  

Thanks - still not sure if I am doing the right thing.  A good night’s sleep will settle it in my mind, I hope

Let us know, I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you. 🙂 

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

@Cruising-alongwishing you and DH a very Happy Anniversary, with many more years of love and laughter ahead!

Thank you Gerry!

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Happy Anniversary.  Enjoy your special  day

Thank you so much Terry.

54 minutes ago, dfish said:

That IS good news, I'm excited for you!  

9 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

The doctors appointment went better than we expected.  We thought we'd have to jump through more hoops before DH was cleared for surgery.  It turns out, that he has met the criteria, and is cleared for surgery.

The type of spinal fusion surgery the doctor uses is a two stage surgery.  The first one is scheduled for October 11, two weeks from today.  The second surgery will be October 24.  Both require a small incision of just a few inches and an overnight stay in the hospital..

The doctor uses a new technology that does not use large screws to fuse the spine, but a polymer disk between the vertebrae which is inserted in the first surgery.  The second on uses polymer "zip ties" to hold the vertebrae steady.

There is a follow up visit in November and another in late December, so it looks like we will be in Texas for Christmas this year.  The doctor schedules follow up visits every two months for a year.  However, if we go to Arizona after the first of the year, the four month visit can be a telemed visit and he can get an x-ray before the visit in Quartzsite.

We have to be at the hospital which is two hours away at  8:30 Thursday morning for the pre-op lab tests and an MRI.  

Lenda

More good news. That's great Lenda!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

I am so glad your DH will have this type of surgery. And soon. I am sure you are both relieved that help is on the way.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

Lenda

How wonderful for DH & you! 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1