The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday September 27th, 2022

richwmn

Seems like there is a fair amount of good news today 😃, and I'll add my morsel - we tested ourselves this afternoon, and, while Pat continues to be positive, I tested negative.  He is three days behind me anyway, so we'll test again in a few more days.  

I have a friend from high school who lives on Longboat Key.  I am worried about herm and she hasn't answered my email.  Hopefully they have moved out of the way of Ian!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@kazu i know you are not fond of Oceania given your one bad experience.  However, DH and I are doing a Christmas Cruise on the Insignia (small ship)  and we would be thrilled to have you join us.  We don’t do a lot of activities but we are friendly and would certainly be welcoming. i have some tours planned and you are welcome to participate.

Think about it.

’We are actually doing a back to back. From Dec. 10 to 28.  But t you can join us on the 18 if you don’t wan to do a long cruise.  There is still room.  It isn’t sold out.

i think you should give Oceania another chance. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Seems like there is a fair amount of good news today 😃, and I'll add my morsel - we tested ourselves this afternoon, and, while Pat continues to be positive, I tested negative.  He is three days behind me anyway, so we'll test again in a few more days.  

I have a friend from high school who lives on Longboat Key.  I am worried about herm and she hasn't answered my email.  Hopefully they have moved out of the way of Ian!

I’m pretty sure I saw on Weather Channel that Long Boat Keys was in a mandatory evacuation zone.  Hopefully, they have sought safe haven.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

I’m pretty sure I saw on Weather Channel that Long Boat Keys was in a mandatory evacuation zone.  Hopefully, they have sought safe haven.

Thanks, Chief, I just looked it up on some Sarasota news and they are ordered to evacuate and water is being cut off.  Scary.  They are very near the water, but on the 4th floor.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

@kazu i know you are not fond of Oceania given your one bad experience.  However, DH and I are doing a Christmas Cruise on the Insignia (small ship)  and we would be thrilled to have you join us.  We don’t do a lot of activities but we are friendly and would certainly be welcoming. i have some tours planned and you are welcome to participate.

Think about it.

’We are actually doing a back to back. From Dec. 10 to 28.  But t you can join us on the 18 if you don’t wan to do a long cruise.  There is still room.  It isn’t sold out.

i think you should give Oceania another chance. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Terri

Thanks Terri.  That is very kind of you ♥️ 

I will look. Not wanting to do a long cruise?  LOL - I’m not going through the worry os snow storms and the hassle of U.S. customs for 7 day cruise.  Those days are long gone.  The one I have right now is 21 days - gets me through Christmas and New Years,

18 days is fine - my worry will be the air fares.  I will look and thank you ❤️ 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

That's great news; hopefully you and your sister will soon be the owners of a new home and can start thinking about where you'll unpack!

I am hoping that is the case.  I will have to bunk in with someone for about a week in between my house and the new one.  

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Not if they have the right dishwasher, they don’t 😉. I clean my plates off of course, but unless it is really messy there is no need to rinse.  DH did and ignored me telling him it had a grinder.

Dishes come out just fine - trust me - I ran 9 loads after the celebration of life and I did NOT wash them before hand 😉 

The best trick actually is to run your hot water first - get it hot and then run the dishwasher so that hot water gets in right away.  At least, it works for me.

I'm hoping that works in my new dishwasher.  For the last 35  years my two hands were the only dish washer I had.

3 hours ago, kazu said:

thanks Debbie - I’ll figure it out tomorrow.  I’d like to be on a different cruise with some CC friends but I really don’t like Western Caribbean.  ABC islands are my choice spots 😉 

I hear you!  I'm not a Caribbean cruiser, but if I did it would be Eastern or Southern.   

3 hours ago, kazu said:

That is really good news - I hope it all comes together for you 🤞 

I think it will.  

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

That IS good news, I'm excited for you!  

Hopefully we'll get more good news tomorrow.

39 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@dfish Fingers crossed for good news on the house.

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Evening all, I Hope everyone in the path of Ian stays safe and had evacuated.🤞🙏

@dfish  positive thoughts on the house.

Thanks!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@Quartzsite CruiserGreat news on not having to wait to get that surgery done.  I hope it fixes your DH's problems.

@RowsbyOh dear friend, enjoy as long as you can!  A change of view, can change your life!

@kazu I think your cruising over the holidays is a great idea.  For 15 years I had to solemnly swear that I would be available 24/7 for a zillion performances of the Christmas Carol, and a dozen Christmas concerts.  Last year, I finally got to go to one that I had wanted to go to -Festival of Lessons and Carols at Emory University.  And when they got to the final song, Silent Night, I could not stop coughing and had to leave.  And we got to see the Christmas Carol at the Shakespeare Tavern...best Christmas ever!  Well at least in the last 17 years.  It was nice not to try to repeat the same things.

One thing I learned early on in AA (and yes it does apply to other things in your life) that when you change your life, or it changes for you, is to create new traditions.  This might be the right time! 

Christmas always depresses Chuck, maybe I should start doing a cruise at Christmas too.  I like the tree, and the stockings, but not when I am the only one who enjoys decorating, and listening to a hundred classical Christmas music pieces.

To our friends in Florida, may the Lord keep you safe during this terrible storm.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

I finally made it through the Daily.  I've almost finished the laundry, but I still have one more load to fold, and the sheets will wait until tomorrow to be washed.  Since the doctor appointment turned out so well, I don't mind the interruption with the laundry.

We set DH's big tepescope out to try to get some pictures of Jupiter.  It they turn out good, I'll try to post one after I finish cleaning house tomorrow.

Thank you, @Cruising-along, @smitty34877@cat shepard, @aliaschief@StLouisCruisers, @JazzyV, and @marshhawk for you well wishes for DH's upcoming surgeries.  It means a lot to know we have so many pulling for us.  And, yes it is a relief to have made some progress and have the surgeries scheduled.

8 hours ago, aliaschief said:

It’s official! I have quit my dishwashing job!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Bruce, I'm very happy you were able to quit your dishwashing job.

6 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Those of you wondering who was the Dalyite from Punta Gorda, that would be me. I haven't been posting much lately but I do read the Report and Daily quite often. 

As far as Ian is concerned, it looks like landfall will be midday Wednesday in Venice which is about 25 miles northwest of our condo. We've have lived in Florida 29 years and have hunkered down for every hurricane since 1993 and am staying for this one, if we lived near the coast we would probably evacuate because of the storm surge.

Ian is almost on the same track as Charlie back in 2004 which did quite a bit of damage to Charlotte County. We also had a close encounter with Irma in 2017 and lost power for a week and of course Charlie in 2004.

Right now we have very light showers with a light breeze but we're going to get tons of rain depending how slow the storm passes by us with winds along the coast at 125 MPH and lower further inland.

If we continue to have power, I'll give some more updates tomorrow.

Stay safe while riding out the storm.  We were lucky when we lived in Corpus Christi and Wilmington, NC.  We only had to ride out two tropical storms, Fern and Frederick.  That was enough.

5 hours ago, Rowsby said:

Thought I should check in...and confess that at the last moment...I extended my vacation for another month...☺️

I will fly home on October 28th...

I hope everyone is staying well...and staying out of harms way...!!!

19022642_PXL_20220927_0437593722.thumb.jpg.f82fac9304c85c66b39369ba093da724.jpgPXL_20220924_205902254.thumb.jpg.7a1cad7a21debae1711f64dec32c3fa6.jpg

Sue, I'm very happy you are enjoying your Hawaii stay enough that you decided to add another month.

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Everyone is different and copes in different ways.  After our Dad died my sister and I were kind of adrift and we thought about cruising during the holidays.  We may someday, but then we decided to get our own place now so we had some place to land.  We were in the wind until 2 days before Christmas last year.  

@Rowsby Good for you!   

@MISTER 67 Thank you for checking in and letting us know how you are doing.  Do continue to check in during the storm if you can.  We will all be worried.

Ok, some good news!   The sellers responded to our offer with a counter offer.   We accepted most of their stipulations and are pretty close on money.  Hopefully we will meet in the middle.

Debbie, that is good news.  It seems the sellers are motivated and you and Sue will be the proud owners of a home in Midland.

54 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Ann, I'm glad you tested negative, and hope tests negative soon.  Also, I'm happy your DD got her booster.

5 hours ago, kazu said:

I’m not sure if I am doing the right thing or a rationale decision, Debbie - I’m doing lunch tomorrow after grief  counselling, and I'll  ask if I am crazy.

Jacqui,  I'll add my two cents worth.  I do not think you are crazy.  I think the cruise is a good idea.  

43 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We have no television service or Internet. Hargray has technical difficulties.  I am using my cell phone to connect.  I have no idea what is happening with Hurricane Ian.  

Don’t know what time service will be restored.

What a day for this to happen.

terri

Terri, I hope things improve there soon.

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, that is good news.  It seems the sellers are motivated and you and Sue will be the proud owners of a home in Midland.

Thank you!   I am thrilled for your DH that there is going to be a quick resolution of his problems.  The worst thing is when health issues drag on an on and on.  

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, dfish said:

Thank you!   I am thrilled for your DH that there is going to be a quick resolution of his problems.  The worst thing is when health issues drag on an on and on.  

Thank you.

It’s already dragged on way too long.  He saw a different surgeon in July 2021.  Because of some symptoms, he sent DH to a neurologist.  In the meantime, the hospital stopped all elective surgery for at least six months due to the delta strain of covid.  Once the  neurologist cleared DH for surgery, we saw the surgeon in May.

That's when the surgeon really made us uncomfortable as he did not seem to know what had transpired at the first appointment.  Frankly, we left without taking the next steps for surgery.

Actually, that was a blessing because we learned he did not do minimally invasice surgery and used the standard method with those huge screws.

We found the new doctor, who has operated on several of our neighbors with this new method.  They are all pleased with him.  Next, we spent three months having the nph checked out.  

Needless to say, we were thrilled today when we got the appointment so soon and then got a surgery date.

This year on two occasions we learned don't have the last appointment on Friday afternoon.  Both times they were more interested in getting out of there than doing a good job.

Lenda

• Like 14

44 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

DH just sent me this picture of Jupiter that he took with his telescope.

IMG_0331.jpg.9100b44037a40ec43bfda3456539e6bf.jpg

Lenda

Lenda please thank your DH and thank you for posting this.  I really wished we had a telescope last night.  Binoculars and I just don't see eye to eye (pun intended!)  Gorgeous photo.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

From what I could see on my phone there will be another landfall near Savannah.  Can someone confirm that for me?

That's how it looks on the map that I just checked: passing across Florida heading to the northeast, then turning north-northwest and crossing over eastern Georgia and the western Carolinas, toward eastern Tennessee.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

That's how it looks on the map that I just checked: passing across Florida heading to the northeast, then turning north-northwest and crossing over eastern Georgia and the western Carolinas, toward eastern Tennessee.

Thanks. Looks like we will get hit when it makes that Northwest turn.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 5