Internet Cafe, is it needed anymore?

sonomaphil

YES! it is.  With the Princess Wi-fi now being as bad as it is I found that I could not use the Wi-fi on my laptop in my own cabin but found that I could use the internet using the computers in the Internet Cafe.  I am  unimpressed with Princess' new Wi-fi supplier.  The blame seems to go to "the ship's location" but I really doubt that is the whole story.  It likely has more to do with $$$$$$$$$.  My opinion, YMMV

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, sonomaphil said:

Is the Internet Cafe really needed anymore?  It seems just to be taking up space these days as if a leftover from a bygone era.  What could that space be repurposed with? 

IMO it is. There are things I can/t access or access in the same way on my phone that I can access on a laptop or desktop. Plus the person that mans the desk is of great help.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Another vote to keep the Internet Cafe.  As a person of a certain age and not overly "tech-savvy", I appreciate the space in order to spread out a bit, get help if I need it and for printing as necessary.

Perhaps a few more years down the road, the need for the Internet Cafe will diminish, but right now, I say please keep it!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I say yes. Not everyone carries around portable internet devices. We have one cell phone for two of us. Require someplace to print. Yes, printing is still needed at times. Personally it is difficult for me to use the phone's keyboard. Much easier to send emails using a full keyboard. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Has long lines most days for help in setting up internet or fixing problems.  

I remember our first cruise with internet  at 50 cents a minutes.  Told kids to overlook, spelling and punctuation errors.in any emails I sent.

Edited by coo359a2
  • Haha 1

Not everybody wants to see the world through a tiny cell phone screen.  A nice monitor makes a world of difference for many people, especially if one is reviewing multi page documents sent via e-mail.  Keep the Internet Cafe. 

In this world of e-readers do we still need to have a library?  Many would say yes!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

In this world of e-readers do we still need to have a library?  Many would say yes!

Now there is an idea!  Combine the library, Internet Cafe and the Oceanfront Medallion store into one area. 

2 hours ago, sonomaphil said:

Now there is an idea!  Combine the library, Internet Cafe and the Oceanfront Medallion store into one area. 

Yikes. Imagine the library sharing the space with the Internet Cafe! I generally only go to the Internet Cafe when I need to print something, but the Internet Cafe manager is always helping several folks trouble shoot problems, and often those problems involve complicated issues where the internet aspect is only incidental such as problems with their flights home. And often the passenger is angry, frustrated or melting down. I've actually thought that being the internet manager must be one of the more challenging thankless jobs onboard. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, junglejane said:

Yikes. Imagine the library sharing the space with the Internet Cafe! I generally only go to the Internet Cafe when I need to print something, but the Internet Cafe manager is always helping several folks trouble shoot problems, and often those problems involve complicated issues where the internet aspect is only incidental such as problems with their flights home. And often the passenger is angry, frustrated or melting down. I've actually thought that being the internet manager must be one of the more challenging thankless jobs onboard. 

Just got off the Caribbean Princess and the internet cafe and the library share the same room.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, sonomaphil said:

Is the Internet Cafe really needed anymore?  It seems just to be taking up space these days as if a leftover from a bygone era.  What could that space be repurposed with? 

Boy I need glasses. I thought you said the international cafe.  There was gonna be a fight on your hands😉

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, Mittens101 said:

Boy I need glasses. I thought you said the international cafe.  There was gonna be a fight on your hands😉

That's funny.  I kept reading a title wrong as "Does the Sanctuary Flip Up?"  Conjures an image. 🙂

I like the Internet Cafe for the location.  There are some nice views out those windows.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@sonomaphil I am wondering why you started this thread in the first place.  I would think you already have a desired alternate use for the space.  Where did you want to go with this?

I'm not looking to criticize; I just would like to know what your idea is that led to starting this topic.

4 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

It's a dinosaur and should be repurposed with USB ports and lots of seating so people can charge and chill. 

I agree. I was going to add that I only use my ten year old Toshiba laptop at home to do large spreadsheets and taxes, otherwise I’m on my iPad, and then I remembered I’ve been thinking hard about buying a new MacBook Pro because…well, I’m not sure why I feel I need it. So never mind. 😆

34 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

It's a dinosaur and should be repurposed with USB ports and lots of seating so people can charge and chill. 

So what would the passengers who have problems or need a printout do? Add to the lines at Customer Services?

• Like 2

I agree it should be repurposed.  Printers and help could be added to the photo shop area responsibilities to help those with problems or printing needs.  I also think the photo area could be reduced in size if it’s true that you can look at and order your photos on the medallion app now.