Internet Cafe, is it needed anymore?

sonomaphil

47 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Who doesn't own a cell phone?

You might be surprised to learn that there are still people who don't use smart phones.  Maybe you should get out more. 😉

• Like 6

Just now, Kay S said:

You might be surprised to learn that there are still people who don't use smart phones.  Maybe you should get out more. 😉

Thank You.     🙂

On 10/3/2022 at 11:43 AM, Daniel A said:
On 10/3/2022 at 11:35 AM, fpsphil said:

They don't need anything vast like they do on some of the older ships (Sapphire) anymore

But again, what better use can be made of the empty space? 

Vines!!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

No one we know. Even my grandparents have cell phones. But they've always been smart and embrace technology. Landlines are a thing of the past. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Who doesn't own a cell phone?

Me.

By the way, even many people with cell phones find it is easier and quicker to perform many computer tasks on a desktop with a real keyboard than on a cell phone with its tiny screen.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, caribill said:

Me.

By the way, even many people with cell phones find it is easier and quicker to perform many computer tasks on a desktop with a real keyboard than on a cell phone with its tiny screen.

I'm with you and don't forget that mouse!

6 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Who doesn't own a cell phone? Everyone has one. It's funny how you ignore my questions/points made, as you have no reasonable answer. Look at the pictures of guests on the app, website and printed catalogs and commercials. Nothing of the crowd who don't own a phone. Princess is catering to the cruising in the now and future, not stuck in the past. It's wasted space. You're entitled to your own assumption. Mine and many others, is the majority, and the future.  

I don't own a cell phone; DW does but an old fashioned one, not a smartphone.

8 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Here's the point - everything is readily available on your own device.  Why would you not complete check-in for your flight on your phone?  Your phone also contains your boarding pass once check-in is complete. Again, the cafe is a dinosaur, and obsolete. Extra seating, USB ports, etc. would be fine for charging. What documents would one need to print if they are working remotely from a cruise ship?  Everything is on your device. If you're working, you have your own MacBook, etc., no one who is working needs an obsolete desktop computer. 

I embrace technology but not everyone has to do it your way. I prefer a desktop - I have a smartphone, a laptop and a tablet but prefer the larger keyboard and screen of a desktop.

As for printing, I recently did a UK cruise and after it I was attending a football match. The tickets were sent by email (the only option)during the cruise and I needed to print them off at the internet cafe.

I dislike checking in for flights on my smartphone. You do things the way you like and let others do what they prefer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Me.

And the tiny keys that constantly misspell words as i type that i have to go back to correct before sending. Eyesight doesn’t help much in reading the small words either

Edited by coo359a2
Had a y instead of g at end of the word sending

don't know if anyone mentioned it, but you can't download to a kindle through the ship's wifi.  The only way to do it is to go to the computer center and ask if they can connect you to do a download.  If they take that away, there will be no way to get new books on your kindle on board, if you want them.

6 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

No one we know. Even my grandparents have cell phones. But they've always been smart and embrace technology. Landlines are a thing of the past. 

So, I guess what you're saying is that all of us who choose not to be tied to an electronic leash are stupid, since your Nana and Pops are smart and tied themselves to the leash.  As long as your grandparents are so smart, ask them about the obsolete concept of freedom of choice and the new future of accommodating those who have a different lifestyle than you do.  Many people don't have a need for a smart phone and don't want to constantly keep upgrading to a newer more costly upgrade since the newer apps usually require a 'state of the art' operating system.  Go back and read the threads about the rollout of the Medallion Class App and then convince us that buying a smart phone is the 'smart' thing to do.  Just because you have something against desktop computers, why are you trying to take that away from those of us who use the Internet Cafe?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

So, I guess what you're saying is that all of us who choose not to be tied to an electronic leash are stupid, since your Nana and Pops are smart and tied themselves to the leash.  As long as your grandparents are so smart, ask them about the obsolete concept of freedom of choice and the new future of accommodating those who have a different lifestyle than you do.  Many people don't have a need for a smart phone and don't want to constantly keep upgrading to a newer more costly upgrade since the newer apps usually require a 'state of the art' operating system.  Go back and read the threads about the rollout of the Medallion Class App and then convince us that buying a smart phone is the 'smart' thing to do.  Just because you have something against desktop computers, why are you trying to take that away from those of us who use the Internet Cafe?

Yes!  Totally agree.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

don't know if anyone mentioned it, but you can't download to a kindle through the ship's wifi.  The only way to do it is to go to the computer center and ask if they can connect you to do a download.  

This is good to know, as I have always been able to download to Kindle on my iPad on the Celebrity wifi.

9 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Who doesn't own a cell phone? Everyone has one. It's funny how you ignore my questions/points made, as you have no reasonable answer. Look at the pictures of guests on the app, website and printed catalogs and commercials. Nothing of the crowd who don't own a phone. Princess is catering to the cruising in the now and future, not stuck in the past. It's wasted space. You're entitled to your own assumption. Mine and many others, is the majority, and the future.  

Again you are entitled to your opinion.  You lost when you state "Everyone has one". I do not ignore a single question/point you made.  What is reasonable to you may not be to others. Oh what an interesting fact that the uninformed think they have the only "right" way to do things.

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 2

The Internet Cafe is absolutely still needed. Many print their flight boarding passes or their Travel Summary if needed to clarify something with Customer Service. Many do not use smartphones, especially on Princess. My parents still don't and won't so they need the Internet cafe to send emails, check in with their cat sitter, etc. Or there could be something happening during a cruise that requires an actual computer not a smartphone to type something, enter in credit card details in a more secure way, etc. My daughter once had her college registration for classes happening during a cruise and there was no way she could do it on her iPhone. I think Princess realizes that there is still a need for computer access, much like the business center in hotels. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Landlines a thing of the past?? Don't some ppl still use those for physical fax machines?? IDK bc I got rid of both years ago

2 hours ago, rocklinmom said:

Many print their flight boarding passes

Screenshot on my phone, less paper

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I guess what you're saying is that all of us who choose not to be tied to an electronic leash are stupid

Not tied to an 'electronic leash' bc I don't even own a computer and my phone can stay in my room. My choice 

2 hours ago, rocklinmom said:

Or there could be something happening during a cruise that requires an actual computer not a smartphone to type something, enter in credit card details in a more secure way,

This caused me to pause .... how is entering a cc# on someone else's computer more secure than authorizing PayPal on my phone??

now if the point is fewer typos, then yeah .... I 'correct' for fat finger typos a lot. Thats the only drawback I can think of. But still ~~~

11 hours ago, Ombud said:
On 10/3/2022 at 11:43 AM, Daniel A said:
On 10/3/2022 at 11:35 AM, fpsphil said:

They don't need anything vast like they do on some of the older ships (Sapphire) anymore

But again, what better use can be made of the empty space? 

Vines!!! 

Discovery and Enchanted Princess have an Internet Cafe (which could be combined with the Medallion site) but no VINES!! The IT Cafes were empty. (6/26 & 8/30 voyages). So move SDG to Internet Cafe site (it can be small ... no one uses it ... put in  monitor dedicated to sports and turn it into a sports bar) and put Vines where SDG is now. 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Almost every decent hotel has a Business Center.  Can you guess what's in one???

Hint: Google (Android 12L)

Most hotel business centers are smaller than my bathroom. In fact my last 2 hotels in Europe had even removed the individual room's phone. (I only stay in 4.5-5☆ places so it's not bc they're cheap)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Discovery and Enchanted Princess have an Internet Cafe (which could be combined with the Medallion site) but no VINES!! The IT Cafes were empty. (6/26 & 8/30 voyages)

DW & I like to go to a special corner window seat in Vines and read during the afternoon and it is almost always empty then.  Just saying.  Can't Vines be combined with another bar?  

I don't think it would be a good idea to combine Vines with the Internet Cafe.  Very strange e-mails and posts could become an issue...😅 

The concept of buying an electronic leash wasn't meant to only apply to being on board a ship.  How many people feel compelled to have their phones on them every time they leave the house?  How many times were you out of your home and a text came in and you didn't have time to immediately respond and the sender got irked?  That's what I mean by an electronic leash.  I have an answering machine at home.  If somebody wants to talk to me, they can leave a message.

2 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Most hotel business centers are smaller than my bathroom. In fact my last 2 hotels in Europe had even removed the individual room's phone. (I only stay in 4.5-5☆ places so it's not bc they're cheap)

How many of them have a dedicated wine bar instead?

6 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

DW & I like to go to a special corner window seat in Vines and read during the afternoon and it is almost always empty then.  Just saying.  Can't Vines be combined with another bar?  

PRINCESS TAKE NOTE!! Yes I'm shouting!!

7 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I don't think it would be a good idea to combine Vines with the Internet Cafe.  Very strange e-mails and posts could become an issue...😅 

I meant combine IT & Medallion center not IT & Vines

6 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

How many of them have a dedicated wine bar instead?

Depends on where you are. Last one had reception just off one. Sometimes wine, beer, or coffee. Point is:: changes after covid. Closed plate over prior phone outlet

3 hours ago, rocklinmom said:

Or there could be something happening during a cruise that requires an actual computer not a smartphone to type something, enter in credit card details in a more secure way, etc. 

Tell me how typing in your credit card details on a PUBLIC COMPUTER is more secure than your own phone?  I'll wait...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

How many people feel compelled to have their phones on them every time they leave the house?  How many times were you out of your home and a text came in and you didn't have time to immediately respond and the sender got irked?  That's what I mean by an electronic leash.  I have an answering machine at home. 

How do you pay for things without Apple Pay/Google Pay without a phone?  You realize it's more secure than using a physical debit or credit card, and safer than cash?  

What is an answering machine?

• Like 1