Internet Cafe, is it needed anymore?

sonomaphil

20 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Not everybody wants to see the world through a tiny cell phone screen.  A nice monitor makes a world of difference for many people, especially if one is reviewing multi page documents sent via e-mail.  Keep the Internet Cafe. 

In this world of e-readers do we still need to have a library?  Many would say yes!

Seems Princess agrees wth your last line. Enchanted Princess, one of their latest builds, doesn't have a library. I'm personally disappointed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mammajamma2013 said:

Seems Princess agrees wth your last line. Enchanted Princess, one of their latest builds, doesn't have a library. I'm personally disappointed.

One of the issues affecting libraries on cruise ships is Chair Hogs who take out a number of books to place on lido deck loungers with absolutely no desire to even open the book.  Since the book doesn't belong to the Chair Hog, they don't care if it gets removed.  As a result, the library can get very depleted.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Potstech said:

Yes you just have a per page charge to print things.

There's a charge to print now? I haven't been on Princess since the lockdown but don't remember being charged before for boarding passes (or anything else). However, my memory is a bit freaky these days!

29 minutes ago, peanutter said:

There's a charge to print now? I haven't been on Princess since the lockdown but don't remember being charged before for boarding passes (or anything else). However, my memory is a bit freaky these days!

We haven't been charged to print since we started back cruising in Nov 2021.  I can remember being charged for printing pages sometime between 2004 and 2019.  It was about 25 or 50 cents per page.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mittens101 said:

Boy I need glasses. I thought you said the international cafe.  There was gonna be a fight on your hands😉

that was what I read when I first saw the title...I was "NOOOOOOO! Ilove the international cafe how can ahyone say that!"🙃

• Like 2

internet cafe   yes please... a library would be be nice... but i bring my own real books on a cruise.....

Do not have a smart phone or tablet,,, do have a computer... which stay at home...

one likes to disconnect while on holiday..... our next cruise a 13 nighter....    will check emails twice..... and somebody can text me..... that is enough......

I like a bit of tech.... but it does not rules my life.... a use me to remember ..

Cheers Don

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 2:59 PM, 1965 said:

I'm so old I remember when there were almost always lines to use the computers at the internet cafe. Lol.

I remember when full suites had their own Princess supplied computer in them with unlimited usage.

I remember when Platinum/Elite passengers had unlimited usage for computers in the Internet Cafe.

4 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

internet cafe   yes please... a library would be be nice... but i bring my own real books on a cruise.....

Do not have a smart phone or tablet,,, do have a computer... which stay at home...

one likes to disconnect while on holiday..... our next cruise a 13 nighter....    will check emails twice..... and somebody can text me..... that is enough......

I like a bit of tech.... but it does not rules my life.... a use me to remember ..

Cheers Don

You are not alone!

When we last sailed in July 2022 there was no charge for printing. Yes the internet room is needed not only for being able to print documents but for the Internet Manager. He or she has to help so many people with problems trying to get there devices on line. Also, I like the desktop computers as they are so much faster for typing emails then trying to type them on my phone.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

Wouldn't it be on the airline app? Haven't printed anything for airline travel in a few years. 

They need a copy of your flight schedule to submit with the EZ Check request to the airlines.  There is no print option on the app. Also some use the cafe to checkin for their flights. There are other personal and business uses for the cafe.  Apparently you have never had to use the cafe's services.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Potstech said:

They need a copy of your flight schedule to submit with the EZ Check request to the airlines.  There is no print option on the app. Also some use the cafe to checkin for their flights. There are other personal and business uses for the cafe.  Apparently you have never had to use the cafe's services.

Here's the point - everything is readily available on your own device.  Why would you not complete check-in for your flight on your phone?  Your phone also contains your boarding pass once check-in is complete. Again, the cafe is a dinosaur, and obsolete. Extra seating, USB ports, etc. would be fine for charging. What documents would one need to print if they are working remotely from a cruise ship?  Everything is on your device. If you're working, you have your own MacBook, etc., no one who is working needs an obsolete desktop computer. 

Edited by startedwithamouse

2 hours ago, waltd said:

Maybe a Taco Bell would be nice.🤪😆

Or Guy's Burgers.  Oh wait,  that's my first stop on Carnival!  😉  I don't think the square footage in the Internet Cafe is enough for much more than what's there now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Or Guy's Burgers.  Oh wait,  that's my first stop on Carnival!  😉  I don't think the square footage in the Internet Cafe is enough for much more than what's there now.

I think you're right. Not a big enough space for Guy's Burgers or a deli sandwich station. 

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

Here's the point - everything is readily available on your own device.  Why would you not complete check-in for your flight on your phone?  Your phone also contains your boarding pass once check-in is complete. Again, the cafe is a dinosaur, and obsolete. Extra seating, USB ports, etc. would be fine for charging. What documents would one need to print if they are working remotely from a cruise ship?  Everything is on your device. If you're working, you have your own MacBook, etc., no one who is working needs an obsolete desktop computer. 

Each is entitled to their own view.  You are also entitled to your own assumption.  My, and others, experience proves otherwise.  Not every one on the ship has a phone and some of those who do often need assistance in their use. Go to the cafe and see how big of a dinosaur it really is not to many.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Each is entitled to their own view.  You are also entitled to your own assumption.  My, and others, experience proves otherwise.  Not every one on the ship has a phone and some of those who do often need assistance in their use. Go to the cafe and see how big of a dinosaur it really is not to many.

Who doesn't own a cell phone? Everyone has one. It's funny how you ignore my questions/points made, as you have no reasonable answer. Look at the pictures of guests on the app, website and printed catalogs and commercials. Nothing of the crowd who don't own a phone. Princess is catering to the cruising in the now and future, not stuck in the past. It's wasted space. You're entitled to your own assumption. Mine and many others, is the majority, and the future.  

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1