The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday October 12th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Cookbook Launch Day, Emergency Nurses Day, and Old Farmer's Day

You cannot find peace by avoiding life.--Michael Cunningham, The Hours

Meal Suggestion for today - Fresas con Crema
Drink of the Day - Jimmys Best
Wine of the Day - Yacoubian-Hobbs 2017 Rind Areni (Vayots Dzor)
Destination of the Day - Saint Pierre and Miquelon,

Eurodam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 10/13

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Lahaina, Maui Island, Hawaii eta 10/14

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Huatulco, La Crucecita, Mexico Riviera eta 10/13

Nieuw Statendam

Charlottetown, PEI,  Canada 07:00 - 15:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Honolulu, Oahu Island, Hawaii eta 10/14

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Santorini Island, Thira, Greece eta 10/13

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Kiel, Germany eta 10/13

Volendam

Sarande, Albania

Westerdam

At Sea

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal eta 10/18

Zuiderdam

Nawiliwili, Lihue, Kauai Island, Hawaii 08:00 - 18:00

1012World.thumb.png.3f830c5494c4fd48e08dba14851e2392.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 14

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Windy and rainy here today.  We've got a wind warning, gusts to 90kmh.  I'll be glad when it's over.

I got my COVID booster yesterday, my arm was a little sore, but nothing serious.

I love cookbooks, I have hundreds.  I am keeping a notebook of my recipes, maybe someday I'll publish them. 

A big thank you to Emergency Room Nurses.  I don't know any old farmers, I know some farmers but I wouldn't dare call them old.😁

I like the quote.

mmm the meal suggestion sounds good, looking forward to seeing recipes.

I hope the drink and wine are tasty too.

I've never been to today's port, maybe someday. 🤞

Prayers for everyone.  I hope everyone has something to celebrate, no matter how small.

Stay safe.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon and thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

It was cold and windy at the beach earlier.

Interesting days.

Good quote.

We both love today's food 🍓 and cream.

I hope everyone is well and all those who are cruising at the moment are having a wonderful time.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

IMG_20221012_103551.jpg

• Like 28

Thank you Rich for the Hump Day Fleet Report and Daily.  I never use cookbooks and find them likely a bit pointless when cooking for one.  Emergency Nurses are certainly angels of life and have a very difficult life right now.  A couple of my cousins are mostly retired but could qualify as old farmers.  I love the Cunningham Quote.  I was deeply saddened by Angela Lansbury's passing as she is the Godmother of the Crystal Symphony.  I was due to visit St. Pierre and Miquelon on that Crystal Symphony in 2012 but conditions did not allow tendering.  The meal sounds link a winner.  My alternative is Chilled Strawberry Bisque, Chicken Scaloppini , and Apricot Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October  12, 2017:

dishes12.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Heartgrove brother 10/11/22
RIP Angela Lansbury 10/11/22
Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri
Horrific damage from Ian
Western wildfires
Tthose in Fiona’s wake
Long term power outage for jimgev
From the rotation:
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Ottahand7's 97 year old friend Frank about to complete rehab after hip fracture
HAL Sailer’s favorite restaurant hosting power crews
Cruzin Terri in Barbados  to 10/17
Rowsby in Hawaii until 10/28
Good surgical outcome for Quartzite
3 Days for Av8rix (Rotterdam 10/15 to 10/30)
Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15),   Oceansaway17 (Oasis OTS  to 10/16)  Cruising-Along(11/5), dfish, NextOne, Richwmn, Live4cruises,  SharoninAz (Nieuw Statendam  to 10/22),  MissG (Oosterdam  to 10/22),  HAL4NOW (Koningsdam  to 10/24), and AncientWanderer (Nieuw Amsterdam to 10/25)
Cunnorl (Noordam 10/8 to 1/2/23),  Dismomx5 (Rotterdam to 10/27) ,  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 10

11 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich for the Hump Day Fleet Report and Daily.  I never use cookbooks and find them likely a bit pointless when cooking for one.  Emergency Nurses are certainly angels of life and have a very difficult life right now.  A couple of my cousins are mostly retired but could qualify as old farmers.  I love the Cunningham Quote.  I was deeply saddened by Angela Lansbury's passing as she is the Godmother of the Crystal Symphony.  I was due to visit St. Pierre and Miquelon on that Crystal Symphony in 2012 but conditions did not allow tendering.  The meal sounds link a winner.  My alternative is Chilled Strawberry Bisque, Chicken Scaloppini , and Apricot Crisp as served on MS Amsterdam October  12, 2017:

dishes12.jpg

Today’s care list:

RIP Heartgrove brother 10/11/22
RIP Angela Lansbury 10/11/22
Vict0rian’s cousin in final stages of ALS
Marshhawk’s friend Sheri
Horrific damage from Ian
Western wildfires
Tthose in Fiona’s wake
Long term power outage for jimgev
From the rotation:
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Sandi’s neighbor Linda
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Ottahand7's 97 year old friend Frank about to complete rehab after hip fracture
HAL Sailer’s favorite restaurant hosting power crews
Cruzin Terri in Barbados  to 10/17
Rowsby in Hawaii until 10/28
Good surgical outcome for Quartzite
3 Days for Av8rix (Rotterdam 10/15 to 10/30)
Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15),   Oceansaway17 (Oasis OTS  to 10/16)  Cruising-Along(11/5), dfish, NextOne, Richwmn, Live4cruises,  SharoninAz (Nieuw Statendam  to 10/22),  MissG (Oosterdam  to 10/22),  HAL4NOW (Koningsdam  to 10/24), and AncientWanderer (Nieuw Amsterdam to 10/25)
Cunnorl (Noordam 10/8 to 1/2/23),  Dismomx5 (Rotterdam to 10/27) ,  and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam 10/1 to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you Roy for keeping all the list's updated.

Graham.

• Like 11

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy!

Summer is back this morning. It is already 77 here. We believe the rivers have finally crested, so the flood waters should recede. And then people can return to assess the damage. 

Off to the gym. Then I need to do some stuff around the house. I have neighbors coming over tomorrow evening to look at my Pictures and hear about my trip. Throw in some Bindi walks - and there is my day. 

9A9BCF36-5E92-44F4-82A3-DEC56D7D5BBC.jpeg.0a03eb179fba7ddff2d897c684e24006.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!  @Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, so glad DH’s surgery went well. 
Stay well everyone!

Yacoubian-Hobbs 2017 Rind Areni (Vayots Dzor)

This is my first Armenian wine!  I would definitely love to at least try it. All released vintages share similar ratings. I found several online distributors with prices starting at $27.97.

Winemaker Notes

The 2017 Areni captivates with aromas of dark fruits, muddled strawberry and freshly cracked black pepper. The palate gives way to a bright, fresh fruit expression, revealing a firm tannic structure and finishing with a pleasantly refreshing acidity.

WE92 Wine Enthusiast

This deep garnet colored wine has aromas of strawberry, pomegranate and lilac. It is bright on entry, with velvety tannins and flavors of black cherry, blackberry, aniseed and vanilla that culminate in a soft, spicy finish.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 3

Fresas con crema is a Mexican dessert and it means strawberries and cream.  This is a very popular treat in Mexico. Families make it at home and it’s sold in the freezer section of grocery stores.  This no-bake dessert recipe is a very easy treat. All of the ingredients are easy to find, freshly sliced strawberries are mixed into a sweetened cream sauce.

This recipe uses fresh strawberries, sour cream, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla extract. It includes possible ingredient substitutions too.

https://www.isabeleats.com/fresas-con-crema/

Fresas con crema in a cup

The next recipe uses Mexican sour cream which is a creamy and slightly tangy condiment very similar to sour cream. It’s thicker and richer than American sour cream, but not as thick and rich as French crème fraîche.  It includes media crema which is a Nestle product that is a canned light cream/table cream that adds creaminess and richness to your favorite savory and sweet recipes. It also contains sweetened condensed milk.  Substitutions are provided.

https://mexicanmademeatless.com/fresas-con-crema/

Glass full of Mexican fresas con crema or strawberries and cream.

Since all the recipes are so similar, I thought I’d add one for paletas, a special kind of Mexican popsicles!  

https://theothersideofthetortilla.com/2014/05/paletas-fresas-con-crema-recipe/

Mexican strawberries and cream popsicles

• Like 24
  • Thanks 12

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days!  I’ll happily celebrate Cookbook launch day.  In the peak days of covid - the Quarantine cookbooks were created with submissions by many.  All the proceeds from sales went to charity.  It helped a lot of us get through covid and our very own Gerry, @ger_77 had her recipes published 👍 

A huge salute to Emergency Nurses.  They have had so many challenges and deserve our unending gratitude. A lot of famers on my mother’s side of the family so I’ll happily celebrate that day too 👍 

Today’s quote is so true and yum on the Mexican dish -  Thanks Tina @0106Hoping I get to St. Pierre next year.  It was on DH’s and my bucket list.

4BF51F5C-580C-4F24-BDFC-41ACA173FFC4.jpeg.58632ad23ce012fcd4dcf5362d941af0.jpeg

Well, we got the truck filled to the brim with leaves and debris to take to the “leaf” lady.  There is another huge pile ready to go and the tables and benches are laded down with peonies, etc to dry out and get in compost bags.

Looks like today will be one of the nicer days so, with luck after I get back from Grief Counselling I can get some more bulbs packed away.  

And yes, I am getting to grief counselling 👍 My sweet neighbour has lent me her car to go ♥️ I can go car-less for the rest of the week as long as I get it back for the weekend 🤞  I am thankful for her kindness ♥️ 

5803AE12-0BD9-41D0-8138-5F4434361139.thumb.jpeg.1ccde90629755f14674bc39707b1c710.jpeg

So sad to hear of Angela Lansbury’s passing. 💔   I was a huge admirer and confess I watched Murder She Wrote every Sunday when I went home with my parents. She was an outstanding actress.  May she rest in peace.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list, those that need them and those still suffering from Ian & Fiona.  And a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!!

931D793F-598A-465A-B49F-B7ED24DF9BB2.jpeg.46fceb774d7ac6571ce9180dcbb6a3b7.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

Good morning.

Jimmy's Best cocktail:

Ingredients:
2 Parts Jim Beam Black
0.25 Part Cinnamon Syrup
1 Splash Orange Bitters
1 Splash Plum Bitters
1 Orange Twist
Directions:
Blend Jim Beam Black with cinnamon syrup, plum bitters, orange bitters and ice in a separate glass. Fill tumbler with ice cubes and pour all ingredients over it. Garnish with an orange peel or slices of plum and orange.

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 7.53.23 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 12

Thank you all on the Daily who have expressed their condolences for my brother. It has been a rough year losing my older sister in June and now my older brother. Both suffered for so long that the comfort is that they are out of their misery. His family and my younger sister are handling it well.

On our trip to Europe that starts Sunday I will enjoy in his honor an appetizer of Cantabrian Anchovies in Florence, and one of my brother's favorite coffee houses in Venice, Caffe Florian in Piazza San Marco.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!

I have an oodle of Cookbooks, and I live out of the Betty Crocker cook book that my mom gave me when I moved south.  The other ones, not so much. I have my grandmothers cookbooks, I don't recognize half the foods, and pretty much none of the ingredients.  DH gets a yen for getting cookbooks after watching PBS cooking shows.  I wish he took more interest in that BBQ chef...

We have a zoom meeting on how to refute refusals.  However there are two that I will never fight.  When some one says they no longer drive at night, (get that one, because I try not to drive once it gets dark) and not ready to sit in a crowd while Covid is still rampant.  ( And I think any one with common sense would say the same).  To me music fuels the soul, but to hear it live, does cost. When I see the history of the patron, and all they have purchased are tickets to the symphony when the symphony is performing the musical score while they show the film on screen, until that person changes, I wont be able to sell them anything.  They like the movie, they are not there for music appreciation.

Meeting will give me a late lunch, and I plan to not worry about the time off, I'm making Reubens for lunch !

2bcaa7ccbb895c188424a7528bcf27b6.jpg

9ccd2c146ff0963be832380071640d9d.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

😪Difficult news.😪 

Due to new symptoms, my 90 year old DSIL (DH's sister) had a follow-up to her PET scan as that scan is not good at detecting melanoma in some tissue. Sadly, it has spread further.

She will continue aggressive treatment; now with Keytruda immunotherapy . 

There is some hope. Always hope. And, since my DH's dementia doesn't let him understand her battle, I will continue to pray with him for his sister's cure.

But, a medical friend has warned me that my DSIL's agressive treatment decisions may be more an attempt to stop the melanoma from reaching her brain – with agonizingly painful results – than about any possible cure. As a retired RN, my DSIL would know the unrepentant march of melanoma and understand her choices.

Previously, she had not wanted us to come, but she has now suggested a visit next week. I will take my DH then.

Thank you for your continued prayers and thank you @rafinmd for keeping her on the Rotation List.

-😪Melisa😪

• Like 12
  • Thanks 26

Good morning from Barbados.

It is not raining (yet).  

Yesterday I read a whole book.  We had a steady hard rain the whole day.  it never let up.

Here’s hoping today is better and I can catch some rays.  I would like to look like I’ve been to a Caribbean Island when I get home.

Thank you to Rich @richwmn for the Daily and the Fleet Report.  Rich, I am also enjoying your live thread of your cruise.

I have many cookbooks and have  a notebook where I paste my favorite recipes.  I don’t think I will ever publish it.  

Hat’s off to Emergency Nurses.  They do a fantastic job.  

Don’t know any old farmers, or new ones for that matter.  However, I appreciate them.  Where would we be without them!

I like the quote. And i like the meal.

Have not been to the port.

Skip the wine and drink.

@rafinmdRoy, thank you for the lists.  Prayers to all on the cares list.  

Special remembrance to the family of @Heartgrove Jack’s brother as they mourn his loss.

Prayers to @Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda’s DH as he recovers from his successful surgery.

RIP to Angela Lansbury.  I liked her and she was a real class act.

I hope all those Dailyites cruising on the Nieuw Statendam are enjoying their vacation and their time together.  It looks like you are all having a great time.

Today we are hoping to get some beach time.  We are on the winding down time of our vacation and thinking about what we will find when we get home.

Hope everyone has a good day and stays safe.

God Bless,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from Charlottetown on the Nieuw Statendam. 

39E55292-387C-441E-92DC-31A458918A2E.thumb.jpeg.12fed9af5d4df1a52905342f9c9def9e.jpeg

Photo courtesy of Craig. Sorry it’s blurry, he took it through the Lido windows. 

I have loads of cookbooks and they are all over the house. I just recently purchased two Magnolia cookbooks by Joanna Gaines, and Molly Yey’s new cookbook Home is Where the Eggs Are. Another recent favorite is Bread, Toast and Crumbs by Alexandra Stafford. 

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser, so glad to hear your DH is doing so well after surgery. 

Jacqui @kazu, I’m hoping for a speedy repair on your vehicle so you have transportation. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

@HAL Sailer I am so sorry to hear about your DH's sister's cancer progression.   Prayers for her and your family.  

Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Reports.    Old Farmer's, cookbooks and Emergency Nurses are all worth comment from me today.  High praise for the ER nurses who stood through the catastrophe of Covid and all the loss of life right in front of them because it took many people too fast.   Same way they deal with all the car accidents and gun shot wounds.  A recipe for PTSD.   I have a lot of cookbooks but don't think I will be launching my own.   I pared mine by half when I moved from Maryland but I have a large file drawer of recipes ripped from my cooking magazines as I pared them.  My Dad started as a farmer when he was young, changed to a dairyman and then when they closed their dairy he went back to farming the land where they used to have their dairy herd.    

Thanks for the recipe!  It looks tasty I'll pass on the bitter drink but would try the wine.   Looking forward to all photos of our ports.   

It is a complete change of weather with high winds last night and it appears we have 7 days of rain.  I got everything I wanted accomplished outside yesterday so I am moving into fall mode.  Grocery store and a manicure today.    

Prayers for all on our care list.   Prayers for the people of Ukraine and the survivors of Ian and Fiona.   

Have a wonderful day!  

The photo is of my Dad and uncle at their farm they bought after they returned to the US from the Netherlands.   Vicksburg, MI circa 1930. 

Bill & Don harvesting '30s.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Thanks Rich and all who contribute to make this the place to be. Today is an in between day.  Too early to start packing, too late to do summer chores, too early for Christmas, but Costco had pumpkin pies yesterday so it must be almost holiday time.  I bought candy for treat or treaters. It will be the first time in six years since I lived where there could be kids coming by.  Hope all are well and get over the hump day.

• Like 20