Laundry Service for Platinum

ober134

9 minutes ago, Tennessee Rose said:

I will "finally" turn platinum on my next cruise; so looking forward to this perk. Question:  do they use perfume and dye free detergents? If not, can you request it? I have serious breathing issues when dealing with scented products! 

LOL.   They take your laundry and the laundry of 50 of your closest cruise acquaintances, put them in individual mesh bags and then throw all of them together into an industrial sized washer using hot water.  Then after the spin cycle, they get shifted to a dryer on high so that they can put your clothes back into a fresh paper bag and have your cabin steward return them to you the following day.

Requesting perfume and dye free detergents are relegated to other cruise lines further up the chain.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tennessee Rose said:

Question:  do they use perfume and dye free detergents? If not, can you request it? I have serious breathing issues when dealing with scented products! 

It's been a while since I've been on Carnival, but I don't recall much, if any, scent from the clothes they cleaned for me.  As far as requesting perfume free, go ahead and ask customer service here and ask again when you're onboard.  I don't think you're going to like the answer, but it's a fair question.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

LOL.   They take your laundry and the laundry of 50 of your closest cruise acquaintances, put them in individual mesh bags and then throw all of them together into an industrial sized washer using hot water.  Then after the spin cycle, they get shifted to a dryer on high so that they can put your clothes back into a fresh paper bag and have your cabin steward return them to you the following day.

Requesting perfume and dye free detergents are relegated to other cruise lines further up the chain.

You missed a step.  Some nice person that never sees a guest area folds them reasonably nicely before putting them back in that new paper bag and stapling it shut.  Last week we even got a nice hand written TY note on the bag!  It's all good but to expect special handling is entirely unrealistic as you suggest.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 3:15 PM, dorchrislen said:

Does anyone know if this can be done the first evening? We are going to be at Disney for six nights first and would like to get the laundry done right away. 

If you are at Disney World, you can go to the Crazy Cone Self Service laundry on site. Plenty of machines to do everything at once. Once and done, sail away with clean clothes. 

Ships' laundries use really huge commercial machines, unlike the ones we have in our homes. Of course they can't launder one or two bag at a time. I've had clothes returned with large grease and other unidentifiable spots that came from somone's else's clothes and I know this because I go over every inch of my clothes checking for spots to treat before I sent them. If i have anything I love, I hand wash it myself. 

Guest BasicSailor

I noticed a red-faced lady in line complaining about her and her husband's clothing. What looked to be rather expensive.  Overheard her saying this dress could now fit a child.  Needless to say, don't send out anything expensive.

From the responses, I realize I should have been more clear with my question and laundry thoughts. I completely understand/know they use large commercial machines and wash multiple people's clothing bags together. What I SHOULD have asked is---how strong is the scent from detergent on your returned clothes? I'm guessing they do use detergent that has at least some scent, and everything is washed using that one detergent.

Just a whine!----I WISH they would choose to use perfume/dye free detergents on everyone's laundry. I think I'm probably not the only one who struggles when breathing where scented products have been used. Also, any clothing that has a tight fitting area (waistbands, armholes, etc) causes me to get big, red, itchy welts while wearing. I'm beginning to re-think whether free laundry is actually a "perk" for me! My cabin-mate may end up getting to use it!  Thank you all for your insights.

• Like 1

GREAT PERK.  The best part of being platinum.  Yes, don't send anything delicate.  Not a problem for us because my husband and I barely own anything delicate and definitely don't bring that type of clothing cruising.  🙂 

We have been using the service for years.  Roll your clothes or the paper bags hold very little.  Make sure you put your folio number in the place where it asks if you are platinum.    We have sent t-shirts, underwear, socks, pajamas, jeans, trousers, shorts, swimsuits, bras-  never an issue.  

Edited:  NO SCENT.  None that I can detect.  I have a pretty severe allergy to scents and I have never had an issue with any scent coming back on the laundry.   

A couple of weeks ago on the Pride we did get our laundry back with an extra pair of men's undershorts.   First time that ever happened. Sorry dude.  Hope that wasn't your only pair.  

Edited by pjhootch
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, pjhootch said:

A couple of weeks ago on the Pride we did get our laundry back with an extra pair of men's undershorts.   First time that ever happened. Sorry dude.  Hope that wasn't your only pair.  

D@MN! I went comando the rest of the cruise!!!  😳 

😆

• Haha 6

On 10/28/2022 at 3:54 PM, Tennessee Rose said:

From the responses, I realize I should have been more clear with my question and laundry thoughts. I completely understand/know they use large commercial machines and wash multiple people's clothing bags together. What I SHOULD have asked is---how strong is the scent from detergent on your returned clothes? I'm guessing they do use detergent that has at least some scent, and everything is washed using that one detergent.

Just a whine!----I WISH they would choose to use perfume/dye free detergents on everyone's laundry. I think I'm probably not the only one who struggles when breathing where scented products have been used. Also, any clothing that has a tight fitting area (waistbands, armholes, etc) causes me to get big, red, itchy welts while wearing. I'm beginning to re-think whether free laundry is actually a "perk" for me! My cabin-mate may end up getting to use it!  Thank you all for your insights.

There is no scent but the detergents are strong,  If you have sensitive skin, you may want to use the self service laundry.  Also you can "request" special treatment of your clothes, many people do. The stewards will smile and nod and do it exactly the same way, hot water, hot dryers.  

I also blame the dryers for my clothes "shrinking" and not the melting cake. 

I actually took advantage of the laundry perk as this was my sailing that I turned platinum, Mardi Gras 10/15/22 sailing, they did use scented detergent, but it was very mild. Came back neat and folded in a timely manner. Will be using it again in our upcoming 2/4/23 sailing, my husband loves this perk!!!

• Like 2

On 10/29/2022 at 10:09 PM, jsglow said:

D@MN! I went comando the rest of the cruise!!!  😳 

😆

Jerry: Don't you see what's goin' on here? No boxers, no Jockeys...
Jerry: The only thing between him and us is a thin layer of gabardine...Kramer, say it isn't so.
Kramer: Oh, it be so.
Kramer: I'm out there, Jerry, and I'm lovin' every minute of it.  I feel like a naked innocent boy roaming the countryside

Edited by Cruise till you drop
  • Haha 3

On 10/12/2022 at 2:30 PM, sternfanla said:

I have heard they put all of your items in a mesh bag and put it in very hot water with a lot of other peoples clothes.  

My wife wont let them do her laundry. I have not had a problem with coloring or shrinkage. 

I think that's not true. How would they sort out clothes if they put several people's in one bag? And why would they use hot water when it would be an extra expense? The laundry service is probably my favorite plus of being Platinum. Same day service, the clothes are folded so nicely they look like they've been ironed. Nothing has ever been damaged or stained. First we just used it for my husband's stuff, now use it for mine, too. I wouldn't put a fancy top in, but everything else is fine. I keep seeing this about the hot water and putting clothes all together - I think this is from people who have never used the laundry service. Like people who denigrate Carnival when they've never cruised on it.

On 10/26/2022 at 1:18 AM, Tennessee Rose said:

I will "finally" turn platinum on my next cruise; so looking forward to this perk. Question:  do they use perfume and dye free detergents? If not, can you request it? I have serious breathing issues when dealing with scented products! 

There is no perfume or any other scent  to the detergent. I would notice because those smells give me a headache. I saw a previous post where a person was complaining because there was not scent so they didn't know if the clothes were really washed.  

I love the laundry service and use it every cruise.  Allows my husband and I to share one 40 pound suitcase for the cruise and not pay the airline more to fly our bags than ourselves.  There is no unexpected shrinkage if you have washed your clothes at home in hot water a few times to check for shrinkage. I do not send whites - just don't have much white that needs to be washed. I do not send anything expensive or really delicate - hand wash if necessary.