Women drivers!

Margarita Jane

We have been on many cruises,  many different lines. We are currently on the Celebrity Solstice, and had to tender into Cabo San Lucas this morning. Today was the first time we had a lady driving the tender! She did a great job and we arrived into Cabo San Lucas on time and on budget.83D64EFC-E1D4-40D9-ACC7-8984228122A7.jpeg.a7ff402ccaa10b0161188cad162b3c35.jpeg

Edited by Margarita Jane
Tried to straighten photo….didn’t work ☹️
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Is Cabo normally a tender port?  If so, how was the tender process in terms of efficiency?  We are on Solstice in March and I'm still doing my research.  

Yes, Cabo is always a tender port.  Depending on the number of ships in Cabo they can use the ship tenders only or use larger private tenders in addition.

We were on the Solstice in September in Cabo and also had a woman tender driver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Margarita Jane said:

Today was the first time we had a lady driving the tender! She did a great job and we arrived into Cabo San Lucas on time and on budget.

In this day and age, singling out the crew member for being female perhaps can be excused as just being uninformed that women can occupy most, if not all, of the diffrent crew positions on a ship.. But "on time and on budget"??? Was that supposed to be amusing? Or as condescending and insulting as it looks?

• Like 16

The glass ceiling has definitely been shattered.  

For so many of these jobs their is absolutely no reason that a woman can not and does a better or worse jobs than a male.   I was on a United Airline flight two years ago and the Captain announced that this was a unique flight for her.   The entire flight crew was 100% female.   The whole plane erupted in applause.

• Like 7

This looks to be a senior level three-stripe officer. Not uncommon to see them (in addition to the more junior A/B seamen, as they're called) at the helm of a tender. Not too long from now she may be master of Solstice or another Celebrity vessel. Celebrity has done a great job, I think, with diversity and inclusion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mom says said:

In this day and age, singling out the crew member for being female perhaps can be excused as just being uninformed that women can occupy most, if not all, of the diffrent crew positions on a ship.. But "on time and on budget"??? Was that supposed to be amusing? Or as condescending and insulting as it looks?

I definitely was not trying to be condescending or insulting. Again, we have been on many cruises, on many lines. I was very happy to see a woman in this job as I personally had not had a woman tender driver before. I am glad to see women in positions that in years past, they wouldn’t be given the opportunity.

And yes, being a CPA,  the on time and on budget was my way of saying women can do anything men can do.

Your comment @mom saysis one of the reasons I rarely post on cruise critic anymore….seems like people want to twist things to see the worse. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Margarita Jane said:

And yes, being a CPA,  the on time and on budget was my way of saying women can do anything men can do.

Uh, thanks for telling me something I've already known for lordy knows how many decades...

That you feel the need to point this out just shows how much work is yet to be done.

ETD: Sorry, political was bad wording... 

Edited by dlh015

55 minutes ago, Margarita Jane said:

I was very happy to see a woman in this job as I personally had not had a woman tender driver before. I am glad to see women in positions that in years past, they wouldn’t be given the opportunity.

Glad to see that your original post wasn't as flippant as it appeared. It seems that you are only way behind the times. Female deck officers are not a rarity anymore. In fact 32%of Celebrity deck officers are women. The photo shows not just any old tender driver, but one of the chief officers, who would  just as likely be in charge of the bridge on some shift rotations.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Margarita Jane said:

I was very happy to see a woman in this job as I personally had not had a woman tender driver before.

LOL----- And, you remembered THAT?

I can't even remember the par I had earlier today on #1---while everyone on CC was " defending " their position on Dress Code Rules--- 

(Getting very cold up here --- Almost time to put " Big Bertha " to bed for the season).

1 hour ago, Margarita Jane said:

Your comment @mom saysis one of the reasons I rarely post on cruise critic anymore….seems like people want to twist things to see the worse. 

I say never let the comments of others discourage you from posting. Diversity of comments, observations and opinions is what makes this forum so great!  Let it roll like water off a duck’s back. 💁‍♀️

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
Typo
  • Like 4

The title Women drivers! is not the best choice of words.  In 2022, it's hardly necessary and a bit condescending to marvel at women in these positions almost as if they are a novelty.  I would like it better if the comment was we had a great driver for our tender rather than oh wow we have a woman driving.  Im sure the OP was well intended however.

• Like 2

As someone  mentioned, those in charge of tender vessels are  licensed Captains and responsible for all.operations on board...passenger safety as well.  Calling them Drivers is not best choice of words.

OP was excited with the experience and I don't think we should pile on here.  In my professional field we Cebrated many firsts..late 80s into the 90s...not all professions or industries evolve(d)  at the same  time!

Let it go...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was on a United Airline flight two years ago and the Captain announced that this was a unique flight for her.   The entire flight crew was 100% female.   The whole plane erupted in applause.

I had the same experience on AA a few years ago, the Captain made the announcement just before the doors were closed '... just in case any of you guys want to leave... 🙂 '

Same round of applause and no leavers 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Our recent flight back to Atlanta from FLL had a Female Pilot..Delta Flight..the drive from Birmingham Airport thankfully wasn't too far to my Casa.  🙂

Hiding from the slinging arrows...it's a joke people.  

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I think seeing a woman driving the tender is unusual is because the tender crews come from the below decks crew..able seaman, mechanical, maintenance, deck crews…and I believe they are overwhelmingly male.  Perhaps @chengkp75could give us an insight into this.  EM

Honestly, who knows why she was called to duty.  She may have volunteered...fresh air and all.  I could see that.  

• Like 1

Sigh - still don't get why some folks still like to minimize what a woman is more than capable of doing, even in a joking manner.  While I get that its not really serious, but what happens if you get a few like- minded people (guys) together in the corporate suite, the 'front office', the old school personnel dept, the college admissions office, and the ""joke" becomes policy?  Anyone want to be the first to speak up and tell their daughter, granddaughter, niece, sister 'sorry, that that job is better suited for a man - but you could be a nurse or a teacher....'

Women can do anything, and I am so grateful for those who came before us and broke the barriers so we can have women who are  ship captains, airline pilots, firefighters, bus drivers, CEO's, military officers, and succeed in any other profession or job.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Anyone want to be the first to speak up and tell their daughter, granddaughter, niece, sister 'sorry, that that job is better suited for a man - but you could be a nurse or a teacher....'

I remember the days of being told "Girls (Women) don't do that."

My response was always, "Well, I am a girl (woman) and I do it, so your are wrong."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1