Royal Caribbean Horrible Customer Service... leaves family stranded

There is no excuse for RCL . When one calls the rep always starts out with reservation # please !!! 

The rep knew the cruise was a transatlantic.

This regardless of what passenger told rep .

RCL reps gave out false information .

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

The cruise line did provide the information.  The problem is, the information they provided was incorrect.  The consumer DID act accordingly to the provided (incorrect) information.  There was no reason for confusion, as the consumer was provided the same incorrect information 3 times.

This is hearsay from a poster on Cruise Critic, detailing a phone conversation that may or may not have happened.

The provided protocols on the website are straight facts.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

This is hearsay from a poster on Cruise Critic, detailing a phone conversation that may or may not have happened.

What???  Hearsay from a poster?  It's what the OP experienced.  It's the reason for this thread.  You think they are making it up?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

What???  Hearsay from a poster?  It's what the OP experienced.  It's the reason for this thread.  You think they are making it up?

Do I think they are making it up?  Who knows!  Do I think everything on this site is factual?  No.

I wasn't part of the phone conversations or have any record of the phone conversations.  I have nothing to make an informed decision, other than this 1 post by this one person.  I'm certainly not going to drag a business because someone said something on an internet forum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I understand what StephPS79 is saying:  Even though the poster stated they were given the wrong answer 3 times, we don't know the entire story or the circumstances. 

What we do know as fact is fact 1:  that this information was and is readily available with a simple search of the RCL website and;

fact 2:  if the poster had done their due diligence and searched the site they would have known they needed a vaccination.

• Like 4

I want very badly to take the side of the OP. However, I went to the RC website. At the very top it has a link clearly titled "Protocols Update".

One click brings me to a list of FAQs. The second FAQ is  "What vaccines are required to travel on a Royal Caribbean cruise?" Clicking that brings me to "...Guests age 5 and older must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to sail:

• Transatlantic Sailings from Europe...."

I believe the OP may not have fully understood that their cruise was a TA and not simply a sailing departing from Europe. If new to cruising I could understand the confusion but the sailing documents should have been clear.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

Even though the poster stated they were given the wrong answer 3 times, we don't know the entire story or the circumstances. 

The comments on this thread have been based on the presumption that the original story is true as stated.  Is it possible that some or all of it is false?  Sure.  But really that's beside the point, as the discussion is basically, if this story is true, who was at fault?

4 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

The comments on this thread have been based on the presumption that the original story is true as stated.  Is it possible that some or all of it is false?  Sure.  But really that's beside the point, as the discussion is basically, if this story is true, who was at fault?

Disagree with this though, we can discuss hypothetical situations all day long.  However, if I'm trying to decide if RCI has horrible customer service (as stated in the title of this thread), based on the factual details I have (the website clearly states what is required, as provided by the business), I'm not mad at RCI.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, artvlay said:

You are wrong.  How do you propose doing your homework when it is a fluid situation. Over the past three months the policies and procedures changed incrementally. In my own case I did my homework, repeatedly,  and I received conflicting information numerous times.

Very true, over six weeks back in May/June the requirements for testing for Italy cruises changed 4 times. Cost me a fortune in flight amendment fees because I wanted to test in UK before traveling.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TexasRon said:

I am sorry that this huge line cannot figure out how to actually help customers looking for, but not finding, the right answer.  I know plenty will give you the “it is all your fault answer” but Royal should at least have someone to route calls to people who can help instead of people that just give answers and that may or may not be helpful.

That kind of answer should be the province of social media sites like this.

C-19 has caused a lot of confusion and many (though no one here it seems) have trouble finding the exactly correct answer to their requirement questions.  A C-19 policy expert to correctly answer questions or provide web sites would be a good thing.

I am a Royal fan but I find the answers from agents baffling at times.  

Good luck to you!

I really do like these boards but sometimes…

Yes, their agents on the phone do give some off the wall answers but also some people just don't ask the right questions either.     Did the OP specifically tell the phone rep they were on a TA Crossing from Europe to the US?    Did the agent refer them to the website for specific details?

Emails I have received from Royal have all referred me to their website to review requirements for testing/vaccination updates.   

Not sure why the OP did not specifically look up requirements for a TA crossing as it is definitely an option that has been on their site for quite a while.   

It is a shame and I agree there has been a lot of confusion for travelers by air, land and sea across the world during covid.   

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

You are basically calling the Op a liar who made things up.  Are u serious?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

They have also regularly emailed out information with "vaccination and testing requirements" whenever there has been a change or X number of days before the cruise. The OP will have had this too. It will have clearly been listed in there.

Interesting.  I don't think I've ever received such emails.

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

That is true.  I guess they had no reason to think that the information they were given by the phone agent would be incorrect.

I agree with everyone’s assessment about the CS issue regarding reliability. 
One thing I must wonder, however, in this case. What was the question asked of CS? Requirements on cruises embarking Barcelona, or requirements for a TA sailing?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Interesting.  I don't think I've ever received such emails.

I have gotten numerous emails on changes/updates in requirements in terms of vaccines/testing as well as passport needs, I do have 2 cruises booked.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, clochette said:

I have gotten numerous emails on changes/updates in requirements in terms of vaccines/testing as well as passport needs, I do have 2 cruises booked.  

I've never gotten any.  And they do have my correct email address.  Royal's IT at its finest!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, nelblu said:

You are basically calling the Op a liar who made things up.  Are u serious?

However you interpret what I have said is up to you.

But if you'd like me to clarify what I have actually said, I don't have enough factual information to say RCI is at fault for this.  

Edited by StephPS79

What was the question asked? Well, maybe CS should ask things like “what cruise are you/what is your booking number”…and then find the correct info to help the customer.

Maybe the customers can do better…but CS is not really a stellar part of the Royal Experience.

Royal sure does love our money, though!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I agree with everyone’s assessment about the CS issue regarding reliability. 
One thing I must wonder, however, in this case. What was the question asked of CS? Requirements on cruises embarking Barcelona, or requirements for a TA sailing?

This was what I was thinking.  I have no doubt about the veracity of the OP's story.  I'm sure they called but what is important is what was asked of the Rep.

• Like 1

Having just completed a trans pacific cruise, I can say that requirements were confusing as they seemed to be changing weekly.  As an example, our TP cruise originated in Vancouver, and the requirements for those boarding changed to no pre-test required for vaccinated passengers as we got closer to the cruise date, because requirements were changing. However, vaccinated passengers boarding the ship in it's first stop of Hawaii (where we were joining) were still required to pre-test.  We did call to ask as this didn't seem to make sense, and were advised that as it was a TP cruise, it was required.  Yet it was a TP cruise from Vancouver(?). My point being that the fluidity of the rules over the Summer and Fall left many of us confused, along with the CS people.

In their case, it appears they were monitoring the vaccination requirements for children - "6 year old not being vaccinated. ". I'd see that as a bigger concern than a pre-cruise test, and have to say that travelling internationally during the last six months without absolute confirmation on all the requirements was in my opinion a big risk to take.

For the OP and family, it's an incredibly unfortunate outcome. 

2 hours ago, fpcruiser said:

But apparently didn't check out the website.

So, who do you trust more to give you accurate information?  RCI's IT department (web page info being accurate/up to date) or their customer service operators?

Again, most people assume a certain level of competence when calling customer service for any business.  If I was concerned enough to call three separate times to make sure of something, I would assume what they told me to be correct.  I have done this several times when ordering parts where the web site says one thing (or nothing) and I call customer service to make sure its the right part or will fit.  Again, you assume customer service will provide accurate information about their products.

Again, as members of CC, we understand what happens when you assume things, especially when it comes to RCI customer interaction (either on the phone or web site).

I think another part of her problem is that she felt she could not find/speak with anyone at RCI with sufficient "clearance" to actually look into the situation (or maybe they did but she didn't like the answer).  It seems like RCI needs a "same travel day" escalation department with a knowlegable staff that can actully immediately look into situations so that you aren't on hold for hours while everyone around you is boarding the ship.

I can only imagine the conversation with the family... "but I called them three separate times to make sure...."

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

So, who do you trust more to give you accurate information?  RCI's IT department (web page info being accurate/up to date) or their customer service operators?

Again, most people assume a certain level of competence when calling customer service for any business.  If I was concerned enough to call three separate times to make sure of something, I would assume what they told me to be correct.  I have done this several times when ordering parts where the web site says one thing (or nothing) and I call customer service to make sure its the right part or will fit.  Again, you assume customer service will provide accurate information about their products.

Again, as members of CC, we understand what happens when you assume things, especially when it comes to RCI customer interaction (either on the phone or web site).

I think another part of her problem is that she felt she could not find/speak with anyone at RCI with sufficient "clearance" to actually look into the situation (or maybe they did but she didn't like the answer).  It seems like RCI needs a "same travel day" escalation department with a knowlegable staff that can actully immediately look into situations so that you aren't on hold for hours while everyone around you is boarding the ship.

I can only imagine the conversation with the family... "but I called them three separate times to make sure...."

I trust the thing that I can get in writing, because even if it's wrong, it gives you proof. 

Best thing for this family to have done was assume they were going to have to abide by the most strict protocols to-date. Their oldest child should have been vaccinated, and they should have gotten tested just in case. Had they done that, even if they thought it wasn't needed, this wouldn't have happened. 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I trust the thing that I can get in writing, because even if it's wrong, it gives you proof. 

Best thing for this family to have done was assume they were going to have to abide by the most strict protocols to-date. Their oldest child should have been vaccinated, and they should have gotten tested just in case. Had they done that, even if they thought it wasn't needed, this wouldn't have happened. 

Absolutely agree.

Too bad the OP has never returned - I always question these one post rants.

Edited by mek
  • Like 2