Odyssey

1 hour ago, Harrisonkid said:

First time cruising this class of ship...any tips that make it a wonderful experience 

270 is a great place to relax and/or have a drink during the day.  The Quantum class solariums are my favorites.  As mentioned, light breakfast and lunch at the 270 cafe is great.  Can also get your specialty coffees there.  If you haven’t dined at Solarium Bistro, it’s an excellent alternative to Windjammer, especially on embarkation day.  We always enjoy dinner there one night too, reservations needed, but no upcharge unless you want one of the upcharged choices. 

Layout is different from other Royal ships and shopping is a bit compressed (not a big deal, IMO).  Bars and restaurants are in different locations than other ships, but not necessarily a bad thing.  You can people watch now from Izumi and the Schooner bar gets walking traffic and serves as bar for Chops.  Also Playmakers is upstairs and inside you can watch the sports court from there.

Adding , love the multi media shows at night in the 270 area!

Edited by crewsweeper

We didn't like the zig-zag of the Esplanade (Promenade) cause you weren't able to see from one end to the other, and people watching was limited. We enjoyed Playmakers sports bar on the Mariner, as it was in the middle of the Promenade, amidst all of the action; however, on Odyssey it's located above the sea plex. The space is great but be aware that there are no bathrooms on that deck!! A sports bar with no restrooms on the same floor, what?!! Definitely a design flaw! I have trouble doing stairs and the elevator (which I never found) was supposed to be located at the far end, so you still have quite a walk to the nearest restroom. We did really enjoy all of the shows though, so book them pre-cruise if you can! Cheers!

41 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

We didn't like the zig-zag of the Esplanade (Promenade) cause you weren't able to see from one end to the other, and people watching was limited. We enjoyed Playmakers sports bar on the Mariner, as it was in the middle of the Promenade, amidst all of the action; however, on Odyssey it's located above the sea plex. The space is great but be aware that there are no bathrooms on that deck!! A sports bar with no restrooms on the same floor, what?!! Definitely a design flaw! I have trouble doing stairs and the elevator (which I never found) was supposed to be located at the far end, so you still have quite a walk to the nearest restroom. We did really enjoy all of the shows though, so book them pre-cruise if you can! Cheers!

The lack of a bathroom in playmakers drove me nuts! We are actually sailing Odyssey again tomorrow though, great ship overall.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, msuspartabigten said:

The lack of a bathroom in playmakers drove me nuts! We are actually sailing Odyssey again tomorrow though, great ship overall.

Yep, us too and agree that Odyssey is a great ship overall. If enough people complain about the no restrooms, maybe they'll add it later, since there is plenty of space to do that! Our adult kids were supposed to cruise with us on Odyssey in February for my birthday but they backed out during Covid, so now it's just hubby and I. We had only booked Odyssey because that's the ship they both chose. Took the money from their 2 cabins and upgraded us to a JS, and bought the Deluxe drinks and 3 nights dining packages, as well as reserved a casita for a sea day! We'll be celebrating in style and spending our kids' inheritance! Haha! Cheers!!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

BTW, can one just stroll into Jamie's Italian Kitchen Pizza and get a slice or do you have to sit down and order a pizza?

You can order a pie for around $9 in the wine bar. Several other apps as well. Fried lasagna is delicious 😋 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I know Sorrento's is by the slice but I'd like to try just a slice to see the difference.  We're sailing on the 11th...you?

We're just off Odyssey b2b and found the pizza at Giovanni's Wine Bar OK. The meatballs were really good as were most things on the restaurant menu. Spaghetti Carbonara was outstanding and the filet was much better than the one at CHOPS. 

We also ordered a whole pizza TO GO from Sorrento's. It was fresh out of the oven and much better than the pizza at Giovanni's. 

20221108_123724.jpg

20221108_124356.jpg

20221102_122547.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Same here. Believe it or not just saw our sailing is totally booked. Are you on the FB page? Would love to meet you!

Don't do FB but saw you today on our roll call.  Bette and I are trying to organize something perhaps in 270 one evening.

Based on my experience last week, & if you are interested in the following, reserve iFLy & Northstar as soon as possible when you board the ship. Those filled up very quickly.

Then reserve the show The Book. All of the other shows were not available to make a reservation.

21 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

BTW, can one just stroll into Jamie's Italian Kitchen Pizza and get a slice or do you have to sit down and order a pizza?

I don't know if my eyes are deceiving me but it's Giovanni's rather than Jamie's.  Wonder if this is the only Q class that has Giovanni's.

Also, while it was being scanned in video noticed the lack of chips in 2X70 Cafe.  We Experienced same on Our Anthem Easter and recently on the Oasis cruises.

In addition, North Star charges a fee while at sea and freebie in ports.

21 hours ago, BecciBoo said: