Too Old For Shore Excursions

eanselm

We are doing a 5 night cruise on the Summit in February. When I went to plan some excursions I was dismayed and very surprised at the number of excursions limited to people under 70. Most of them are snorkel or diving excursions, but not all. We just returned from climbing multiple ruins in Greece and earlier this year snorkeled twice a day in the Galapagos but found we don't  "qualify" for many of the snorkel excursions. I gave up and figured at one port we would just do something easy so I clicked on the Royal Elizabeth Botanical Gardens in Grand Cayman thinking that would be a good alternative only to find that too is limited to people between 2 and 69. I couldn't believe it and thought this must be a typo so I contacted Celebrity who referred me to the Shore Excursions group. Today I received an email that yes, this is the limitation because there are 100 steps we would need to climb and there are no exceptions to the limitations. We are willing to sign a waiver but that is not something they will do. Any suggestions for alternatives? I am very disappointed in Celebrity. There is a snorkel excursion we can do in Grand Cayman but we have done it before. We could also do the botanical gardens on our own, Has anyone done this? . 

@eanselm

This is typically NOT set by Celebrity specifically but rather their tour provider / insurance company.

While I agree with your that there are who are outside the age bracket who are more than capable of participating, there are those inside the age bracket who really shouldn't.

That all said you may have to do these things on your own / direct with the tour company

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, eanselm said:

We are doing a 5 night cruise on the Summit in February. When I went to plan some excursions I was dismayed and very surprised at the number of excursions limited to people under 70. Most of them are snorkel or diving excursions, but not all. We just returned from climbing multiple ruins in Greece and earlier this year snorkeled twice a day in the Galapagos but found we don't  "qualify" for many of the snorkel excursions. I gave up and figured at one port we would just do something easy so I clicked on the Royal Elizabeth Botanical Gardens in Grand Cayman thinking that would be a good alternative only to find that too is limited to people between 2 and 69. I couldn't believe it and thought this must be a typo so I contacted Celebrity who referred me to the Shore Excursions group. Today I received an email that yes, this is the limitation because there are 100 steps we would need to climb and there are no exceptions to the limitations. We are willing to sign a waiver but that is not something they will do. Any suggestions for alternatives? I am very disappointed in Celebrity. There is a snorkel excursion we can do in Grand Cayman but we have done it before. We could also do the botanical gardens on our own, Has anyone done this? . 

You need to some research on the internet for independent tour companies in the ports you're looking to do something. You can also checkout companies like www.viator.com

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@eanselm

if you look on the “Scuba and Snorkeling” section here on Cruise Critic (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/24-scuba-and-snorkeling/) you will almost certainly find recommendations of several dive operators at every port you’re going to, where you can book these excursions independently.  Since diving typically is scheduled in the morning, you really won’t have worries about getting back to the ship; you’ll get better dive sites; and save money.  

In the alternative, use the link in my signature to email me.  There are very few Caribbean ports that Celebrity sails to where I don’t know someone in the dive business.  

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

13 hours ago, eanselm said:

I saw this same thing with the age limit. I was very surprised since we are getting up there. I definitely thought there would be exceptions.  WTH Celebrity!!

2 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

I saw this same thing with the age limit. I was very surprised since we are getting up there. I definitely thought there would be exceptions.  WTH Celebrity!!

Not quite there yet either, though I am closer to than farther from, LOL!  I will say on a recent cruise I did my own excursions and a couple organized by a good soul from the cruise Roll Call.  Frankly they all seemed like almost private excursions, the larger tours we did in Palma & Cartagena each had just 12 people on them and they were great.  The tour in Ponta Delgada was a Jeep tour and only 6 ppl.  I'd suggest to anyone in this situation to join your Roll Call you may be very pleasantly surprised at the work around and lack of age restriction.  Good luck.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Your disdain is misplaced.

Excuse me?  If you are referring to it being the shore excursion companies, it is Celebrities choice which companies to include.  Just like anyone else who subcontracts. 

Edited by Dar & Bob
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, eanselm said:

We are doing a 5 night cruise on the Summit in February. When I went to plan some excursions I was dismayed and very surprised at the number of excursions limited to people under 70. Most of them are snorkel or diving excursions, but not all. We just returned from climbing multiple ruins in Greece and earlier this year snorkeled twice a day in the Galapagos but found we don't "qualify" for many of the snorkel excursions. I gave up and figured at one port we would just do something easy so I clicked on the Royal Elizabeth Botanical Gardens in Grand Cayman thinking that would be a good alternative only to find that too is limited to people between 2 and 69. I couldn't believe it and thought this must be a typo so I contacted Celebrity who referred me to the Shore Excursions group. Today I received an email that yes, this is the limitation because there are 100 steps we would need to climb and there are no exceptions to the limitations. We are willing to sign a waiver but that is not something they will do. Any suggestions for alternatives? I am very disappointed in Celebrity. There is a snorkel excursion we can do in Grand Cayman but we have done it before. We could also do the botanical gardens on our own, Has anyone done this? . 

Check out Expedia.com for their tour to the Royal Elizabeth Botanical Gardens and Pedro St. James Castle with NO age restrictions.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, eanselm said:

It's about Insurance on one cruise a tour that included a half mile walk along a disused railway line which had been converted to a footpath had an upper age limit of 55.

Simple solution is to book a private guide and share the cost with one or two other couples on the Roll Call. You get to set the itinerary, for us it's no long lunch or shopping but coffee and cake breaks. We use Toursbylocals but there are lots of alternatives. With TBL you deal direct with the guide but pay via TBL in Canada. Never had a bad guide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

Excuse me?  If you are referring to it being the shore excursion companies, it is Celebrities choice which companies to include.  Just like anyone else who subcontracts. 

Unfortunately, it's Celebrity's insurance company that is making these decisions. You could probably book the same excursion with the same company and have no issues. 

28 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Unfortunately, it's Celebrity's insurance company that is making these decisions. You could probably book the same excursion with the same company and have no issues. 

If it's the insurance company then they are really screwed up.  We were on a Princess excursion last month and we were in much better mobility state than the people 10 years younger.  Ageism has to stop.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, miched said:

I was looking at shore excursions.   There are are and weight restrictions on some.  On one it listed the maximum age of 100.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Sucks for Holland America guests. 🙂

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This information is very odd, as it seems that ONLY Celebrity Shore Excursions are this tight and restrictive about age, height, and weight.  Funny, I was on a Celebrity excursion in early November, and the height restriction stated on the ticket that no one UNDER 6' 6" were permitted to be on the tour.  No one of the tour was that height, but we all went.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

If it's the insurance company then they are really screwed up.  We were on a Princess excursion last month and we were in much better mobility state than the people 10 years younger.  Ageism has to stop.  

I agree. But some number cruncher somewhere made the decision.

It is what it is.  10+ marathons, countless halfs, 2.5 hr. round trip to Pulpit Rock in my sixties---doesn't matter.  In 18 months I'll be "banned" from those over 70 excursions.  That said, if one wants, the "strenuous" excursions can still be had, one way or another.

On 12/16/2022 at 7:57 AM, Dar & Bob said:

Actually for insurance the local countries place age restrictions.   For example anyone over 80 cannot volunteer in some places because no insurance if they fall.

There are few companies that can handle the large number of passengers that cruise ships require.  Sometimes several ships in port.

In Astoria Oregon tour companies are required to be able to handle 200 people.  That is at least 4 full sized busses and 8 employees.  How many companies can do that for the very short cruise season in tiny Astoria.  Having lived there the answer is one.

Insurance is harder and harder to obtain.

• Thanks 1

On 12/15/2022 at 6:17 PM, eanselm said:

excursions limited to people under 70.

Interesting. If scuba diving or climbing Machu Pichu or hang gliding were 'still' on my bucket list, I would search out a cruise line that would accommodate my desires and "not go gentle into that good night." Others of us are content to sit on the ship and just watch the water stream past content with just being able to get on board looking forward to more than 3 meals a day and live entertainment to boot. Are we missing anything? Sourgrapes ? Every tour we ever missed, every cruise that we cancelled, turned out to be the best ever. Or so we were told.

We are on the Constellation in Greece in June and I was very dismayed at the age cut offs. We are travelling with family , three staterooms on my dime with ages from 14, 17, 44,45 to us 75 and 78. According to Celebrity we can't tour together. We booked private guides for Ephesus and Athens and Santorini but at some other ports we have to split up! The 'old folks' have to spend the day on a "panorama tour" bus. Why would I do a family trip again on Celebrity?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Actually for insurance the local countries place age restrictions.   For example anyone over 80 cannot volunteer in some places because no insurance if they fall.

There are few companies that can handle the large number of passengers that cruise ships require.  Sometimes several ships in port.

In Astoria Oregon tour companies are required to be able to handle 200 people.  That is at least 4 full sized busses and 8 employees.  How many companies can do that for the very short cruise season in tiny Astoria.  Having lived there the answer is one.

Insurance is harder and harder to obtain.

It was Astoria which had the 55 age limit on the tour we described at Post 13.

20 hours ago, jwlane said:

It is what it is.  10+ marathons, countless halfs, 2.5 hr. round trip to Pulpit Rock in my sixties---doesn't matter.  In 18 months I'll be "banned" from those over 70 excursions.  That said, if one wants, the "strenuous" excursions can still be had, one way or another.

I know this may be hard to believe but insurance is not done on a individual basis, it is the risk of the age group in total that matters. 

I wish they would restrict it to people younger than 55, that way I would not have to go on some of my wife's excursions. 🙂

• Haha 2