Step up to Bathroom

winnedo395

Hello, thinking of taking my 82 year old mother onboard.   How high is the step into the bathroom ?   No Handicapped cabins available and this is my biggest concern.   Does anyone with knee problems find getting in difficult?

Specifically interested in the Discovery Princess if anyone has personal knowledge.   Thanks so much

11 hours ago, winnedo395 said:

Hello, thinking of taking my 82 year old mother onboard.   How high is the step into the bathroom ?   No Handicapped cabins available and this is my biggest concern.   Does anyone with knee problems find getting in difficult?

Specifically interested in the Discovery Princess if anyone has personal knowledge.   Thanks so much

Almost every Princess ship seems to have the same size step up into the bathroom which is not that high at all BUT I have a much harder time stepping down out of the bathroom.  Yes, I am old and have mobility issues but I have to hold on to the side of the door to step down.

• Like 2

It depends on the cabin category. Deluxe Balcony, balcony, interior has showers. The lip of the pan is a around a 6 to 8 inch stepover. Mini suites have a tub/shower. The stepover is a little higher than a normal residential bathroom tub. The tub is raised from the floor and the tub walls are higher. Most full suites have both a separate tub and shower. The shower should be the same stepover as other showers.

There is a small step up, maybe around 6 to 8 inches, to actually enter the bathroom.

• Like 1

The step up from the main cabin into the bathroom is about three inches.  Just be careful not to stub your toe on the way into the bathroom and remember the small drop as you exit.  The step into the tiny shower is about the same.  Just high enough to prevent the water from over flowing onto the floor.  This is the same for all cabins except mini suites and full suites that are equipped with tubs.

• Like 8

Lady Arwen is correct. The step up into the bathroom or into the shower is only half the height of a normal staircase riser, which was what Skynight was stating. Holding onto the door jamb as I entered or left the bathroom was all the help I needed with my poor arthritic knees.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, skynight said:

It depends on the cabin category. Deluxe Balcony, balcony, interior has showers. The lip of the pan is a around a 6 to 8 inch stepover. Mini suites have a tub/shower. The stepover is a little higher than a normal residential bathroom tub. The tub is raised from the floor and the tub walls are higher. Most full suites have both a separate tub and shower. The shower should be the same stepover as other showers.

There is a small step up, maybe around 6 to 8 inches, to actually enter the bathroom.

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

The step up from the main cabin into the bathroom is about three inches.  Just be careful not to stub your toe on the way into the bathroom and remember the small drop as you exit.  The step into the tiny shower is about the same.  Just high enough to prevent the water from over flowing onto the floor.  This is the same for all cabins except mini suites and full suites that are equipped with tubs.

Lady Arwen is correct. The steps into the bathroom itself is not 8 inches, but more like three inches maximum. 8 inches is how high the steps for typical stairs are. No way does getting into the bathroom or shower have the same height as a stair step. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, winnedo395 said:

thinking of taking my 82 year old mother onboard. 

make sure to bring a night light.

I am glad I brought it on Enchanted.

I didn't bring it on the Allure and actually crash fell into the bathroom at night because I couldn't see anything (night blind).

We previously brought a battery operated one with us, but I got a USB plug in nightlight from shein . com and used the USB charger wall plug-in like this in the bathroom:

Charger Block, USB Wall Charger, FiveBox 3Pack Dual Port 2.1Amp Fast Wall Charger Brick Base Adapter Charging Cube Plug Charger Box Compatible

image.thumb.jpeg.34c4bca559547c404d1cd0c20eadd105.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3fe8cd8797a0e25c3de824966f91b2d0.jpeg

3 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

Lady Arwen is correct. The steps into the bathroom itself is not 8 inches, but more like three inches maximum. 8 inches is how high the steps for typical stairs are. No way does getting into the bathroom or shower have the same height as a stair step. 

Agree

2 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Agree with the others. The step up height into the bathroom is closer to 3 inches.

Someone has been lying to someone else about what 8 inches looks like for a long time... 

I was going to say the step up couldn't be more than 2 or 3 inches tops.  It's enough to really stub your toe, but it is not even close to a full step height.  You'll want to turn on the light in the bathroom entry alcove to see where you are going if you are visiting during the night.

Depending on your choice of cabin, those cabins up to the grade of minisuite, have a shower enclosure with a step of about 3 inches and a flimsy ( clingy ) curtain. Minisuites only have a bath tub with a shower head over it. Full suits have a fully glassed panelled enclosure with a 4 inch step along with a separate bath. We travel in full suits and if we can’t get an accessible wet room cabin, we take 2 suction type handles and a suction type shower head holder, these fix to the glass panels, we then get customer service to get the plumber to change the fixed high up shower head to a flexible pipe one. To overcome the step of about 4 inches we take a folding 2 inch high step with us. Hope this helps.     

15 minutes ago, rjack22 said:

Just curious.   Why is the bathroom floor elevated 3 inches?   Why can't it all be level?   There must be a good reason.

It allows the drain pipes to run under the bathroom floor.  If that space wasn't there, you would have to penetrate the structural steel deck with a steel drain pipe (in order to maintain watertight and fire rated boundaries), rather than the thin metal piping now used (and you would have to penetrate the deck for the shower, the sink, the toilet, and the floor drain for every bathroom.  With the raised floor, all the drains are piped together under the floor, and lead to one drain outlet).  This also allows all of the plumbing to be installed in the "wet module" (bathroom) at the assembly plant when the cabin is prefabricated.  The cabin module is slid into the ship, and they make one connection each for hot and cold water, drainage, electricity, and air supply and exhaust.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Just ended a 10 day on the Sky this week and the step is about the same as a step on a stair case but there aren't any rails like a staircase. I steady myself on the sink coming in and the door frame going out. I don't have any mobility issues but I'm a klutz! LOL!! We had our first mini suite this time and the bathtub was VERY high in my opinion. I had to really swing my leg up and over. I'm short (5') so that might have contributed to this issue. So be aware of this issue if you're considering a bathtub option. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

There would be separate drain outlets for gray vs. black water though, right?

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes

That would be because the black water from the toilet goes out the wall into the sanitary locker, via the flush mechanism, not down under the floor.

• Thanks 1