Oceanview Cafe dinner service being eliminated?

LMaxwell

5 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Here's a thought.  

Take a cruise, go to the OV for dinner and experience it for yourself.  Inform an officer on the ship your thoughts on how it was. Send emails to Celebrity's upper management. Put your comments on the feedback card.  

These will go a lot farther in getting the attention of someone who can impact change than making comments here based on the observations of other.  

YES!  This is the only way to get things back.  Frequent customer complaints to officers and on guest surveys about the new OV limited selections will definitely have an impact.  I will do that exactly on my upcoming cruise.  I hope others here follow your advice.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

The answer to that is a big NO.  Never said anything of the sort. I'm saying that the trends should be noticed and considered...that's all. To completely ignore them is foolish. These sort of things can be weighted in stat reports.   

I agree; maybe I worded myself poorly. My point was that there will be overlap between social media and surveys/stat reports and that the best conclusion will come from making sure not to overweigh online trends against the quantifiable data they collect onboard.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Agree about quantifiable numbers vs rants. But ignoring social media trends on various topics is certainly missing out on datapoints...

I would also agree that the sample size here is small...

The sample size of CC may be small, but we are the ones who care enough to post; others just fade away if they dislike the changes, on any cruise line.

1 hour ago, Catknitty said:

I care how people are treated by the company I am giving money to as I make many decisions about how I spend my money on fair treatment to a companies employees. Personally, I will never understand not wanting to make sure I am spending my money with fair companies. I did not inquire and the info came out inadvertently. I asked in the dining room because I was sure I had to have heard incorrectly but no, I heard it right. People who are desperate may sign a contract that is unfair and I don't have to spend my money with a company that is not treating their staff fairly. People who have worked for a company for a long time may believe that fair pay will come back, true or not. People who may not understand exactly what they are signing are also taken advantage of. If you don't want to know how people  who are working hard making your vacation happy are being treated them don't ask. I do want to know. 

X does not operate in a vacuum.  They compete for staff with many other cruise lines as well as land based employers.  If crew don't feel well treated they finish out their contract and move on.  Historically however (pre-covid) industry wide crew retention rates ran about 80%.  Instead of asking crew about their compensation try asking how many contracts they've signed with X.  Believe you'll find they have a very seasoned (and theoretically content) crew.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

X does not operate in a vacuum.  They compete for staff with many other cruise lines as well as land based employers.  If crew don't feel well treated they finish out their contract and move on.  Historically however (pre-covid) industry wide crew retention rates ran about 80%.  Instead of asking crew about their compensation try asking how many contracts they've signed with X.  Believe you'll find they have a very seasoned (and theoretically content) crew.

I'm not certain if this is for corporate US operations only but interesting stats about Celebrity and other cruise lines as well. 

https://www.zippia.com/celebrity-cruises-careers-18491/demographics/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

I'm not sure how true that is.

We became close to our Head Waiter on multiple Disney cruises and when talking he revealed he had worked for RCCL and Princess previously. He said Disney far and away treated their crew the best and RCCL the worst. I know it's only one man's opinion but it was from his own experience - not hearsay.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mnocket said:

Please save me the effort of reading through 433 posts.......   Is it true that Oceanview will no longer be serving dinner or is this just a baseless rumor?

that is a definite, possible, maybe we will, maybe we won't but we won't tell you until you have paid in full and are on-board

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Please save me the effort of reading through 433 posts.......   Is it true that Oceanview will no longer be serving dinner or is this just a baseless rumor?

Reading is fundamental.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mnocket said:

Based on current events multiple ships have severely cut back the dinner time offerings at Oceanview Cafe, so no, currently it's still open for dinner but at a severely reduced offerings. Whether that is the final word on this remains to be seen.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mnocket said:

The title of this thread contains the word “Eliminated”, although granted, it’s followed by a question mark. There are reductions and less choice, but there was no need to jump to the conclusion that the buffet was being eliminated. It’s gotten this thread a lot of clicks though. 

Just now, thebutlerdidit said:

The title of this thread contains the word “Eliminated”, although granted, it’s followed by a question mark. There are reductions and less choice, but there was no need to jump to the conclusion that the buffet was being eliminated. It’s gotten this thread a lot of clicks though. 

Some of us are getting our CC post counts up. 😂

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, mnocket said:

So baseless rumor then.  How do these threads take off?

Because we are unhappy unless we have something to gripe about (ok, I am speaking only for myself)....

Edited by mahdnc

13 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We walked through the buffet last night after dinner at the lawn club. We've never go to the buffet for dinner but all the serving stations were open.

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Which ship are you on?

And on what date did you embark?

42 minutes ago, mnocket said:

So baseless rumor then.  How do these threads take off?

Not baseless rumor. 

If you consider dinner to be pizza, salad, hot dogs, then yes.  

If you expect a grill station, stir fry, charcuterie/cheese, etc.  Then....no. 

Full disclosure - I have not read every post in this thread and at this point, I do not intend to do so. 

However, from what I understand from what I have read of this thread and the companion thread about OVC on Edge, the reduction in what is being offered in the OV has/is happening on Edge.  I have not seen confirmation that it is happening on any other ship.  

My intention is to see what actually is happening when we sail on Millennium unless between now and then there are multiple reports from cruisers on multiple ships that this is in fact happening across Celebrity M, S, and E class ships. 

Once i have my own personal observations as to what is/is not being eliminated, what changes actually have/have not been made in comparison with my previous experiences, etc., then and only then will I made any decisions regarding future sailing, including one scheduled for November, with Celebrity.