Oceanview Cafe dinner service being eliminated?

LMaxwell

6 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Wish you wouldn't feed me those lines...but here goes....would that be after Pork and Bean dinner?

Sent the menu to DH.  He asked if this was in Luminae....BTW...we're in the same house, but I'm on my computer downstairs, he on his phone upstairs....the older generation is making digital progress - we just don't actually talk to each other....haha.....

My answer...

"no....MDR...but if you want, it could be in Luminae...just presented much nicer!  Maybe with a French name.... Cassoulet or porc et haricots"

Edited by Oceangoer2

52 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

At least it sounds a little better than opening a can of Bush's Baked Beans.

Another reason to check out Oceania, in their buffet they exclusively serve B&M baked beans.  Nothing screams "luxury" like pork and beans

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I don't care much for the menu. Would probably go for the linguine.The pork and beans sounds like someone is tying to be cute. Braised pork  would be a better name. 

I'm not fond of pork and beans. I wont eat pork CHEEKS. I would if it was called Braised pork.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

Another reason to check out Oceania, in their buffet they exclusively serve B&M baked beans.  Nothing screams "luxury" like pork and beans

I did look at Oceania online. The next day I got a phone call from Oceania. They must have called my IP Address. Penthouse Suites are under the pool and or the buffet. On the S Class ship. I was in 2133 sky suite and could hear what sounded like a conveyor belt during the night/early morning. I do like the M Class as most suites are on deck 6.

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

Pork and beans does show up in the app for one of the nights on my upcoming Constellation sailings.

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

At least it sounds a little better than opening a can of Bush's Baked Beans.

My fear is that one of my favorite vloggers is going to try to "roll that beautiful bean footage". 🤮

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, basil1 said:

I have had the banana stuffed chicken before and it was pretty good. Very tropical with the coconut rice.

In Maryland we had a delicious chicken entree with bananas called Chicken Maryland. Don't recall having it with coconut rice but chicken and bananas is a real thing. .Here  In Texas good homeade  pork and beans are often available as  a side choice with Texas BBQ.but only as a side. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

I did look at Oceania online. The next day I got a phone call from Oceania. They must have called my IP Address. Penthouse Suites are under the pool and or the buffet. On the S Class ship. I was in 2133 sky suite and could hear what sounded like a conveyor belt during the night/early morning. I do like the M Class as most suites are on deck 6.

I recently booked a PH on their new ship, Vista.  It is under something, though I have honestly forgot what.  Anyway, I will let you know but I am such a heavy sleeper, I don't expect it to matter.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

don't like anything on the menu would probably order one of the timeless entrees.  Glad they haven't gotten rid of those like Royal has.

The escargot disappeared from the timeless appetizers after day 3 on this sailing.

51 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

I'm not fond of pork and beans. I wont eat pork CHEEKS. I would if it was called Braised pork.

My friend you do not know what you are missing! Pork cheeks - or what we Italians  all Guanciale (sounds a lot nicer in Italian), is incredible in red tomato sauce. Also, true Carbonara is made with Guanciale - never bacon, and pancetta only as a poor substitute.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

Celebrity, like every company, has a strategic plan to optimize profits. They know precisely the consequences of each action. Companies rely on "obedient consumers" to continue to purchase despite declining value. Today's consumers have been taught via Mass Manipulation to continue to purchase whether they need it or not, an automatic behavior called Mass Psychosis.

They will discontinue the buffet and force people to eat in dining rooms - savings #1. Then in the dining rooms, they will reduce the quality - savings #2.

In the dining rooms, which are the only option - they will increase surcharges - profit increase.

All so predictable, yawn.

On Oceania that is discussed on the Celebrity board, they are now reducing time in ports to achieve their "climate change" ya agenda. Oceania guests choose Oceania for the very good itineraries which are better than the mass lines, so here is another example of downgrading.

As a consumer, you have to change with the times and often that means Cancelling a service provider. 

Believe they are not looking to maximize profits, just to turn a profit.  Would have understood if they cut back buffet early on after sailing resumed when they were only sailing half full, but not now.

As far as "obedient consumers", a few years ago in another LLP debacle X attempted to make the Mast Grill a pay venue featuring upscale burgers.  They ran it as a trial on Equinox but after significant passenger pushback ended up cancelling the idea after only a few sailings and going back to free.  This shows passengers don't blindly accept X's changes and X does apparently respond to passenger feedback.  Maybe if enough complain about OVC this "improvement" can be rolled back as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2023 at 8:07 PM, LGW59 said:

I was on Edge TA Oct/Nov

On the S class ships Luminae shares the galley with the MDR so choosing from that menu is not usually a problem. Totally different on Edge class ships because Luminae has its own separate galley/kitchen

24 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Believe they are not looking to maximize profits, just to turn a profit.  Would have understood if they cut back buffet early on after sailing resumed when they were only sailing half full, but not now.

As far as "obedient consumers", a few years ago in another LLP debacle X attempted to make the Mast Grill a pay venue featuring upscale burgers.  They ran it as a trial on Equinox but after significant passenger pushback ended up cancelling the idea after only a few sailings and going back to free.  This shows passengers don't blindly accept X's changes and X does apparently respond to passenger feedback.  Maybe if enough complain about OVC this "improvement" can be rolled back as well.

Thanks for that reminder of the "burger debacle", well said. 

The one change I am behind 100% is removing the coconut crusted banana and Ham stuffed chicken from the MDR. I’ll pay them to take it away😭

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

This is exactly what will happen.  If Cruise lines are good at one thing, it's back peddling quickly when they get a lot of bad feedback.  I said it earlier, when Royal introduced Dynamic Dinning, they scrapped it after like two weeks, and they designed a whole ship around it!  People, speak up!  It will change!  Be loud!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

Celebrity, like every company, has a strategic plan to optimize profits. They know precisely the consequences of each action. Companies rely on "obedient consumers" to continue to purchase despite declining value. Today's consumers have been taught via Mass Manipulation to continue to purchase whether they need it or not, an automatic behavior called Mass Psychosis.

They will discontinue the buffet and force people to eat in dining rooms - savings #1. Then in the dining rooms, they will reduce the quality - savings #2.

In the dining rooms, which are the only option - they will increase surcharges - profit increase.

All so predictable, yawn.

On Oceania that is discussed on the Celebrity board, they are now reducing time in ports to achieve their "climate change" ya agenda. Oceania guests choose Oceania for the very good itineraries which are better than the mass lines, so here is another example of downgrading.

As a consumer, you have to change with the times and often that means Cancelling a service provider. 

What are you planning to do about the strategic plan? I'm undicided so you input might help me decide.

6 minutes ago, bonagrad said:

This is exactly what will happen.  If Cruise lines are good at one thing, it's back peddling quickly when they get a lot of bad feedback.  I said it earlier, when Royal introduced Dynamic Dinning, they scrapped it after like two weeks, and they designed a whole ship around it!  People, speak up!  It will change!  Be loud!

It is a good thing they will back pedal. Some businesses stay the course on bad decisions. So giving them feedback has worked and people who don’t like the changes are doing the right thing letting Celebrity know. Don’t be put off by the canned reply. 

Edited by Charles4515

Just now, weregoingcruising said:

What are you planning to do about the strategic plan? I'm undicided so you input might help me decide.

To not give them my business. Until cruising settles and I can be certain what the product offering is from every company, I will not purchase any cruise. It really is to each their own. I have 0 loyalty to any company. Enjoy whatever you decide.

19 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It is a good thing they will back pedal. Some businesses stay the course on bad decisions. So giving them feedback has worked and people who don’t like the changes are doing the right thing letting Celebrity know. Don’t be put off by the canned reply. 

Exactly.  The canned response is at least acknowledgement that they got it and saw it.  Most companies will totally ghost you.  Heck, I've sent most cruise lines email questions and have never gotten a response, so that small gesture is welcome.

52 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

The one change I am behind 100% is removing the coconut crusted banana and Ham stuffed chicken from the MDR. I’ll pay them to take it away😭

It actually sounds like something I would try.

Laura

21 minutes ago, bonagrad said:

A better and more recent example was X's decision to make AI pricing compolsary. Introduced as ships started sailing post Covid it received such a backlash (for example Captain Club hosts onboard had to submit details of "concerns" about AI every day instead of at the end of each cruise) that by December 2021 corporate head office replied to my complaint by saying " we appreciate that not every passenger wants or needs a drinks or internet package and we are working to correct this". It then took them a further 9 months to fully implement the change so that now only in Aqua and above is AI still compolsary.

If you don't like the changes when you see them tell the Captain's Club Host in writing while you are on the ship and follow this up by a direct written complaint to Head Office. Ranting won't help just considered arguments and, if you consider it appropriate and you are prepared to follow it through, tell them that you will not book with X again until the buffet/main dining or whatever is reinstated in full. This worked with AI as we and many others did just that and switched away from X. 

I’m on Reflection right now OV cafe is open. There is a pasta station. There is a main course station with a minimum of 3 GF selections. (I did talk to the Matre d at noon which may have influenced menu choices) A greens station, bread and dessert station. It was a bit busy but not terribly. Decent food all around

Janet

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Well, I just got the call from the nice lady at the executive office. She acknowledged the changes and said they are fleetwide. She said I could try the Mast Grill as a casual dining alternative. I politely informed her that is a pool grill and not open at dinner time; even if it were it is not an acceptable substitute. 

I did challenge her as to whether my resort casual wear would be a problem in the MDR and she said golf shorts are allowed, just not pool wear. She told me under no circumstance would anyone be turned away from dinner as long as they were not in pool clothes. Excellent. I asked if I would have to wait in line at the dining room, she replied that is possible at busy time. I asked about the experience of people who like the dining room now, will they also have to wait in lines that I now may have to wait in. She said that was a possibility.  I said well I hope I get in line not being the last one.  She suggested if the dining room service is slow to avail myself of one of the popular specialty dining restaurants. How is this a solution to removing a complimentary casual restaurant? I did not wish to go round and round and thanked her for her call and trusted that she was sending comments to management. 

10 minutes ago, mtnlvr53 said:

I’m on Reflection right now OV cafe is open. There is a pasta station. There is a main course station with a minimum of 3 GF selections. (I did talk to the Matre d at noon which may have influenced menu choices) A greens station, bread and dessert station. It was a bit busy but not terribly. Decent food all around

Janet

Meats/Cheeses/Greek specialties?  Does that still exist or no?