Lobster in MDR now extra cost?

dreamer321

15 minutes ago, Pipo said:

Why you're mentioning room service? Don't tell me they are now charging for that too...

$11.74 ($9.95 + 18%) except for continental breakfast or for those in suites.

Edited by MamaFej
added link

• 6 months later...
On 1/6/2023 at 4:42 PM, rmalbers said:

The last lobster tail I had on X was so small it was like three bites and really not that good.  I'm surprised people care that much about it. I'll see what it's like in a few weeks but my expectations are low.

Lobster is overrated and overpriced.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LizzGo said:

I recall one cruise where a man seated nearby kept ordering more lobster- he must have had at least seven. Ugh.  No wonder they started putting a cap on it. 

Perhaps he did that because he was served lobster tails the size of a jumbo shrimp. I had one on my recently that was exactly 2 moderately sized forkfuls. If I had been charged $16.95 for it I would have been extremely unhappy. In fact, if that was served to me as the "complimentary" lobster tail I would have been equally unhappy!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, LizzGo said:

I recall one cruise where a man seated nearby kept ordering more lobster- he must have had at least seven. Ugh.  No wonder they started putting a cap on it. 

During one of my Celebrity cruises some 20 years ago, I ordered a second lobster tail and I apologized to the Assistant Maitre d' because he was having to take the tail meat out of the shell twice.  His response was very gracious of course as he told me it was not a problem.  He then mentioned that there was a passenger that evening that had ordered 8 lobster tails....  

48 minutes ago, LizzGo said:

Why not put a cap on 3 if they’re going to serve the shrimp size spiny tail…Only an extreme minority are getting that many and they’ve been allowing this for decades.  RCI first starting charging and at least replaced the inferior Spiny tail with the superior Maine tail.  Carnival followed meaning both RCI and Carnival serve better lobster than X

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

During one of my Celebrity cruises some 20 years ago, I ordered a second lobster tail and I apologized to the Assistant Maitre d' because he was having to take the tail meat out of the shell twice.  His response was very gracious of course as he told me it was not a problem.  He then mentioned that there was a passenger that evening that had ordered 8 lobster tails....  

On our last cruise in May, they just brought 2 per person without being asked.  We were seated with some folks we met on board and they asked for more-TWICE.  But honestly, they were really small.   

and the wait staff were utterly gracious about it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Islander500 said:

On our last cruise in May, they just brought 2 per person without being asked.

Lol.  That happened to me as well on my last cruise (Oct 2022 Constellation).  It was our first cruise since the COVID shutdown and so I was out of practice--I forgot to ask for a second lobster tail during the sailing's last evening chic night.  I remembered it only after the waiter had finished taking our large table's order, walked away, and was gone.  I didn't want to chase him down, so I figured "oh well".  But, as you said, our waiter actually showed up with a second lobster tail for all the people at our table who ordered lobster for their dinner.  It was a smart thing for him to do near the end of the cruise.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

It’s not fresh on a cruise ship.  The lobster we get in Maine is fresh, reasonably priced, and always better as a lobster roll.  There are certain foods that translate well to cruise ships and lobster is not one of those.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

It’s not fresh on a cruise ship.  The lobster we get in Maine is fresh, reasonably priced, and always better as a lobster roll.  There are certain foods that translate well to cruise ships and lobster is not one of those.  

I’m definitely looking forward to our  Canada/NE cruise next month for many reasons but fresh lobster rolls is definitely up there among them. Yum!  

• Like 1

Always enjoyed the MDR lobster on X, have had some really good ones.  Our lobster highlight now is to do a discounted first night Murano and have it cooked tableside. Just weeks out from our next Murano Lobster

A few months ago we took our first HAL cruise.  They had a $15 up charge for a surf and turf.  Half tail, wonderful steak and worth it.  Last meal in MDR I took an upchsrge for a whole tail, $20 and was a monster, had to fight the last bite down. 

Guess if X starts doing upchsrges I'm just going to have to take advantage of my free bag of laundry to pay for it

• Haha 1

Haven’t been on X since January 2020.  We leave in 4 weeks on the Equinox. We sail in Aqua, so dine in Blu..just checked the nightly menu..included is rack of lamb, filet mignon, and lobster. There is no mention of extra cost. I’m glad they haven’t taken away the fine dining we always had in Blu. We have been sailing on Viking Ocean, small ships and excellent food and service with NO add ons..glad to be returning to X. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

My recollection is that Celebrity has a tendency to overcook it therefore the rubbery texture...

A well cooked lobster is very  good...

Edited by NMTraveller

On Millie now.  Last night was lobster night in MDR.  I added a lobster tail to the filet in luminae last night for 13.99 plus tip.  So far, the food has been very good and a cut above our experience on a competitor last fall.  Sail away lunch in luminae was very good.  Buffet lunch today was very good and fresh.  Pizza station was very good.  Seating in buffet is catch as catch can.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

My recollection is that Celebrity has a tendency to overcook it therefore the rubbery texture...

A well cooked lobster is very  good...

And if you don't say anything, it comes out with this cream sauce all over it.  

1 hour ago, jbcallender said:

On Millie now.  Last night was lobster night in MDR.  I added a lobster tail to the filet in luminae last night for 13.99 plus tip.  So far, the food has been very good and a cut above our experience on a competitor last fall.  Sail away lunch in luminae was very good.  Buffet lunch today was very good and fresh.  Pizza station was very good.  Seating in buffet is catch as catch can.

$13.99?  Give me a break.  For a warm water "lobster"??

8 hours ago, lobsternight said:

Always enjoyed the MDR lobster on X, have had some really good ones.  Our lobster highlight now is to do a discounted first night Murano and have it cooked tableside.

Pay close attention when they bring it to the table before they start to cook it so you can react if needed, our last Murano lobster on Eclipse earlier this year was a pitiful  little scrap that was over-cooked by the time the waiter had added all the ingredients. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ebtrip said:

Haven’t been on X since January 2020.  We leave in 4 weeks on the Equinox. We sail in Aqua, so dine in Blu..just checked the nightly menu..included is rack of lamb, filet mignon, and lobster. There is no mention of extra cost. I’m glad they haven’t taken away the fine dining we always had in Blu. We have been sailing on Viking Ocean, small ships and excellent food and service with NO add ons..glad to be returning to X. 

I had the lobster in BLU many times, last March was my last time on the Constellation, and it was good. Always order the lobster with a dish of veal scallopini, which also on the the lobster night menu, the wife and I share that. Nice!

BTW, unless they recently changed it, was on the Edge for a trans-Atlantic back in October and had the lobster for no extra charge in one of the MDRs. In fact, not even asking, the waiter came to our table with extra lobster tails asking if we were interested in another. I obliged 🤗, no extra charge.

On 8/5/2023 at 9:47 AM, mahdnc said:

Those were the good old days of cruising! We're entering a new era of cruising of reduced service, overcrowding, nickel-and-diming on everything, and inflated prices. Sure, you can still find the occasional great deal but they are harder to find.

On 1/4/2023 at 1:40 AM, Glitterati said:

an aside: I saw a man on a Facebook group was proudly stating he beat the ship record and ate 16 Lobster tails in one sitting. Maybe that was the final straw? 😅

About five years ago I witnessed a man at our table who ate about 10 or 11 Lobster tails to try and beat his own record. The only good news was he apparently spent the whole night vomiting in his stateroom and was nowhere to be seen the next day. I take it this was not that uncommon an occurrence in years past.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kelownadon said:

About five years ago I witnessed a man at our table who ate about 10 or 11 Lobster tails to try and beat his own record. The only good news was he apparently spent the whole night vomiting in his stateroom and was nowhere to be seen the next day. I take it this was not that uncommon an occurrence in years past.  

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/3/2023 at 7:13 PM, RichYak said:

We are watching a train wreck in slow motion. They are killing the brand. Did a hedge fund guy take over running the company on Jan 1?

I couldn't agree more.  I mentioned the pros and cons of a recent Odyssey sailing, and mentioned the extra fees.  I got flamed by morons who acted like they owned the cruise line.

• Haha 2