“Ambush” style of new charges!

luv4cruises

Cruise critic has officially gone off the rails! 

1 hour ago, Julma said:

You may have luck with the credit card you booked with.  

No. 

1 hour ago, ABoatNerd said:

there is NO afternoon tea sandwiches, scones etc - that is appalling

You may be clutching your pearls, but that's not how it works. 

The FCBA has very specific rules and protections for the consumer and merchant. You have dispute a charge after 'poor services' are rendered, have not paid the charge, worked with the merchant for a resolution, and file your claim within 60 days of receiving the statement with the charge in question. Missing scones and higher prices on optional ancillary purchases have no inherent credit card protection.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Cruise critic has officially gone off the rails! 

No. 

You may be clutching your pearls, but that's not how it works. 

The FCBA has very specific rules and protections for the consumer and merchant. You have dispute a charge after 'poor services' are rendered, have not paid the charge, worked with the merchant for a resolution, and file your claim within 60 days of receiving the statement with the charge in question. Missing scones and higher prices on optional ancillary purchases have no inherent credit card protection.

Thank you for this information, you are correct. The point was to use the credit card dispute as intimidation before the cruise. Whether it works it depends on whom is involved. Definitely use the process after the cruise indeed. Credit card dispute is an underutilized tool for the consumer.

11 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

Thank you for this information, you are correct. The point was to use the credit card dispute as intimidation before the cruise. Whether it works it depends on whom is involved. Definitely use the process after the cruise indeed. Credit card dispute is an underutilized tool for the consumer.

It would be very difficult to successfully do this post cruise. You have to dispute 60 days from the statement date with the disputed charge among other things. There is a time and a place for it, but as witnessed by all of the horrible dispute advice given here during all of the COVID refunds, consumers also need to understand the process. 

21 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

Maybe what is needed is a Class Action suit for switching out products that have been contracted.   Obviously Celebrity is incapable of distinguishing when passengers booked to give them what they actually paid for at the time.  

If they keep it up someone is going to jump on it. 

Can you explain why you think X is incapable of distinguishing when pax booked? That can’t possibly be true or am I missing something?

12 minutes ago, natshala said:

Duh! Maybe I need another coffee. Lol.

You are new to these boards, you will us to be a rather irreverent group. 😝 (BUT we try to be helpful and many know more about X's inner workings that X does!)

Welcome to the boards!

I would encourage anyone who has concerns about the changes to contact the CEOs office on 

lLutoff-Perlo@celebritycruises.com 

I have just got off the phone with one of their representatives regarding an email I sent voicing my concerns. My main points were that guests have not been informed of major changes to service, and particularly to OV.  That changes to OV could adversely affect the cruising experience. I understand cuts have to be made but am most unhappy with how this has been done, and am concerned that this may be the thin edge of the wedge. 

The lady I spoke to emphasised that they wish to have as much feedback as possible and would welcome hearing from guests so they may gauge how the changes affect guests. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, natshala said:

Can you explain why you think X is incapable of distinguishing when pax booked? That can’t possibly be true or am I missing something?

Well let's just say without looking up your actual booking - their computer systems IMO are an absolute mess.  

One example for our sailing this week, I booked the Enhance package which included the premium drinks, wifi, tips and OBC.  When they did away with that package - our premium drinks disappeared from our planner.  I called the answer yes you have it and a drink package shows up in our planner.  Fast forward to last week getting documents ready, our Xpress pass shows only CALL not PALL, yet another phone call.  

Also, on their site now and reports were saying that bottled water, sodas etc not included in CALL which we have on another cruise.  With all of the issues we've had with our bookings, I think they have no way to distinguish if CALL was booked in 2021, 2022 or 2023 since they can't even figure out IF it was booked.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/9/2023 at 12:02 AM, 4-2-N-8 said:

TY.

I'm not well versed in Celebrity stateroom category nomenclature. However, was your impression, observation, or experience that different stateroom categories are better (or worse) served or accommodated based upon those categories?

Appreciate your time.

1A (I don't even think they call them that any more) are standard cabins with larger balconies because they are on the hump.  The Sky Suite on Beyond (like all Edge class suites) are larger rooms with nice balconies but the real benefit is access to the Retreat.  Dollar for dollar, the 1As are probably a better deal unless you get a really good rate on a Sky Suite (I think those days are gone as they are selling quickly).  I don't think there was any difference in service related to the cabin itself.  The Retreat certainly offers more benefit (the Retreat Lounge, the Retreat pool and outdoor bar were the highlights for us).  We did not consider (sadly) Luminae to be a plus.  We actually had far better meals in the main dining room and Blu.  

I hope that somewhat answers your questions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest 4-2-N-8
5 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

1A (I don't even think they call them that any more) are standard cabins with larger balconies because they are on the hump.  The Sky Suite on Beyond (like all Edge class suites) are larger rooms with nice balconies but the real benefit is access to the Retreat.  Dollar for dollar, the 1As are probably a better deal unless you get a really good rate on a Sky Suite (I think those days are gone as they are selling quickly).  I don't think there was any difference in service related to the cabin itself.  The Retreat certainly offers more benefit (the Retreat Lounge, the Retreat pool and outdoor bar were the highlights for us).  We did not consider (sadly) Luminae to be a plus.  We actually had far better meals in the main dining room and Blu.  

I hope that somewhat answers your questions.

It does. Thank you.

Now, I'm going to have a 5-minute cry. 😅

On 1/5/2023 at 11:56 AM, Beachlover1989 said:

My only concern for our February cruise is if there are cutbacks that affect my packing - for instance, bathroom amenities, slippers, umbrella, etc.  Hopefully this isn't a problem for us.

We just got off the Millie last Friday in a Veranda cabin. No qtips or cotton swabs. Maybe you have to ask for them. I did not see a tote bag, but I really didn't look for it. They had robes, hair dryer, umbrellas, slippers and binoculars. 

Edited by Keys Kathy
add

On 1/5/2023 at 9:52 PM, zitsky said:

Celebrity begs me to book a suite but I don’t want to shove the pseudo riche out of the way when lining up for the Retreat Lounge.  I do Aqua so I can pretend to be one of the commoners.

We had a Sky Suite in Dec on the Summit and Apex last Jan. They were hold over / lift and shift reservations from Covid cancellations so for both of us, the price was half of the current charges. 

THAT is the way you afford a suite. BTW, the Retreat lounge was basically empty on the Summit, but was well attended in the evening only on the Apex. During the day we had it to ourselves.

On 1/6/2023 at 2:43 PM, CelebrityCruizer said:

For those of us who are new to cruising, what exactly was cruising like 20 years ago that you miss?

Can you offer a bullet point list for those who are curious?

One thing that came back were CHOCOLATES! Do you remember when they took those away????? There was a a REVOLT!

Other things that are no more:

1.The Speakers. They had a speaker from NASA talking about what NASA discoveries had contributed to society, such as velcro. Another talked about the dimishing of the gold standard etc, etc

2.Crafts, they used to have people to teach you deccpage, counted cross stitch and more. They were people who got their cabin for free and had the cost of the their supplies covered. On our last cruise, they offered adult coloring......

3.The Captains Club Gala: We a huge party in the sky lounge with roast beef, sushi, homemade ice cream, tea sandwhiches and more. EVERYONE who was eligible would attend. All the entertainment on board showed up to do their thing.

4.Mariachi's in Cozumel at 5:00 on the pool deck

5.No more A Capella groups

6.No more open containers of qtips and cotton balls. If you get them now, you have to fight with the packaging.

7. No more last sea day buffet! That was HUGE with chocolate waterfalls, Ice carving, fruit carvings, butter carvings. It was held in the MDR.

8. No Suite Lounge entertainment.

These are the things I remember. I am sure others remember more.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 1/10/2023 at 10:56 AM, TowandaUK said:

I would encourage anyone who has concerns about the changes to contact the CEOs office on 

lLutoff-Perlo@celebritycruises.com 

I have just got off the phone with one of their representatives regarding an email I sent voicing my concerns. My main points were that guests have not been informed of major changes to service, and particularly to OV.  That changes to OV could adversely affect the cruising experience. I understand cuts have to be made but am most unhappy with how this has been done, and am concerned that this may be the thin edge of the wedge. 

The lady I spoke to emphasised that they wish to have as much feedback as possible and would welcome hearing from guests so they may gauge how the changes affect guests.

Thank you for this, were you (and others, who also, either wrote and/or called about this situation) offer up what areas that X could consider cutting back in to offset the potential cutbacks in OVC???

Just curious as I have not read where any poster has offered up those suggestions, yet, unless I missed it...

bon voyage

45 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

One thing that came back were CHOCOLATES! Do you remember when they took those away????? There was a a REVOLT!

1.The Speakers. They had a speaker from NASA talking about what NASA discoveries had contributed to society, such as velcro. Another talked about the dimishing of the gold standard etc, etc

2.Crafts, they used to have people to teach you deccpage, counted cross stitch and more. They were people who got their cabin for free and had the cost of the their supplies covered. On our last cruise, they offered adult coloring......

3.The Captains Club Gala: We a huge party in the sky lounge with roast beef, sushi, homemade ice cream, tea sandwhiches and more. EVERYONE who was eligible would attend. All the entertainment on board showed up to do their thing.

6.No more open containers of qtips and cotton balls. If you get them now, you have to fight with the packaging.

7. No more last sea day buffet! That was HUGE with chocolate waterfalls, Ice carving, fruit carvings, butter carvings. It was held in the MDR.

Tableside service. 
They used to make Caesar Salad and some desserts right next to your table. 

45 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

FYI we were on Equinox 3 weeks ago and there was an excellent speaker from NASA. Funny you should mention that LOL.

22 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Thank you for this, were you (and others, who also, either wrote and/or called about this situation) offer up what areas that X could consider cutting back in to offset the potential cutbacks in OVC???

Just curious as I have not read where any poster has offered up those suggestions, yet, unless I missed it...

bon voyage

I mentioned several of them in my conversation yesterday with the person from LLP's office that responded to my email.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

So there is no longer a Captain Club Party for the status's??