“Ambush” style of new charges!

luv4cruises

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The changes went into effect January 1st. Experiences that happened before then are irrelevant. Unfortunately.

You keep repeating this, but we are all waiting for confirmation that it is true.  Not saying you are wrong, but how do you know this?  Did you sail this month?  Did you read it on another online forum?  Were you told that by someone of authority at Celebrity?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

You keep repeating this, but we are all waiting for confirmation that it is true.  Not saying you are wrong, but how do you know this?  Did you sail this month?  Did you read it on another online forum?  Were you told that by someone of authority at Celebrity?

He wrote that someone's experience they shared from Dec 25 is irrelevant. That's nothing to take issue with. To confirm a change (or lack of), we need a first hand report from someone on a ship that sailed after 1/1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

discontinuing of Blu option to order from full MDR menu,

-  not a Blu fan but if booking Blu for the food selection, why order from MDR

This, I have never understood this.  I am a fan of Blu...if the menu doesn't suit me, I'll eat elsewhere.  

I can tell you why we occasionally do it.  We love the ambiance and service in Blu, and like to get to know our wait staff as we ask to be seated in the same area every day.  While we also occasionally eat at a specialty restaurant, we prefer to eat in Blu each night.  We have a couple favorites from the MDR menu from back in the day before we could afford Aqua.  And sometimes the Blu menu isn't appealing.  So if we can stay in Blu where we are comfortable and happy with the staff, why not occasionally order off MDR if we want to (and it is not too inconvenient for the wait staff)?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

He wrote that someone's experience they shared from Dec 25 is irrelevant. That's nothing to take issue with. To confirm a change (or lack of), we need a first hand report from someone on a ship that sailed after 1/1.

Exactly my point.  It may be true, it may not.  But I want to know where the confirmation of this is coming from, if in fact it is true.  I agree that December experience is irrelevant.  But the person keeps saying the changes are effective January 1.  Not that they think they were effective, but stating that as a fact.  I want to know how they know this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, phoenix_dream said:

Exactly my point.  It may be true, it may not.  But I want to know where the confirmation of this is coming from, if in fact it is true.  I agree that December experience is irrelevant.  But the person keeps saying the changes are effective January 1.  Not that they think they were effective, but stating that as a fact.  I want to know how they know this.

Since it's only the 6th, maybe wait until some of these sailors have returned...no doubt we'll hear about it then....😉.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

That’s coming from the assumption that Celebrity changed ALL policies on January 1 which they clearly didn’t. There are no reports since January 1 that you can’t order from the MDR when dining in Blu. I’ve actually heard at least one report of some who has been able to do this in the last day or two. I have no idea where this claim came from. 

This thread (and others like it) has become a game of trying to figure out fact from fiction as people keep adding to it with rumors about additional cuts without any real reports. This is not to say there aren’t frustrating cuts happening but not everything you read on CC is true. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I think you're over-parsing these words. There have been numerous clear policy changes, all of which have occurred after Jan 1. He used the plural "changes" but you think he's referring to only one that remains uncomfirmed.

If this MDR menu in Blu has also changed, it will have also occurred after Jan 1. Any experience from December is irrelevant, which is all he wrote.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

I think you're over-parsing these words. There have been numerous clear policy changes, all of which have occurred after Jan 1. He used the plural "changes" but you think he's referring to only one that remains uncomfirmed.

If this MDR menu in Blu has also changed, it will have also occurred after Jan 1. Any experience from December is irrelevant, which is all he wrote.

And I think for some reason you can't let this one go.  So we'll respectfully give this topic a rest.  I still stand by my comments as do you so let's peacefully move on.🙂

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, prmssk said:

That’s coming from the assumption that Celebrity changed ALL policies on January 1 which they clearly didn’t. There are no reports since January 1 that you can’t order from the MDR when dining in Blu. I’ve actually heard at least one report of some who has been able to do this in the last day or two. I have no idea where this claim came from. 

This thread (and others like it) has become a game of trying to figure out fact from fiction as people keep adding to it with rumors about additional cuts without any real reports. This is not to say there aren’t frustrating cuts happening but not everything you read on CC is true. 

I'm only taking issue with one response to one post that correctly said that experience from 12/25 is irrelevant. Nothing more.

1 minute ago, phoenix_dream said:

And I think for some reason you can't let this one go.  So we'll respectfully give this topic a rest.  I still stand by my comments as do you so let's peacefully move on.🙂

For sure, I think we've agreed on all the salient points anyway.

33 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

That is a fair question/criticism. There have been many changes reported as of January 1st. I have nothing directly from celebrity and I will not be sailing until next week (when I will report live).

I do try to triangulate my sources with multiple people posting on multiple sites (some social, some travel agent web sites, some blogs from well known contributers). I put more emphasis when there is specific photo evidence. With that, I am convinced that the dinner buffet has reduced options (on at least 3 ships). I am convinced that room service charges have been introduced on multiple ships (I've lost count). I am convinced that there is a lobster charge on multiple ships. I am convinced that experiences on sailings before January 1st are irrelevant to those three changes. 

However; you were specifically asking about Blu being able to order off the MDR menu. That change has only been reported on social media.  So, you are correct, my source for this change is weak and I should not have stated that particular change as irrelevant. My apologies and I appreciate you calling me out (sincerely).

I do keep repeating that experiences before January 1st are irrelevant because these forum topics are getting multiple responses saying things like... "I sailed on Dec 25th and didn't pay room service fee". So, my response was general to try keep things accurate (and instead I may have muddied the waters). I'll do better.

While I doubt it, for all we know, this could be a one week trial period and next week will be back to normal. I do know that I will report live next week. I also know that my live information may also become irrelevant by the end of January. The changes are frequent and fluid.

Again, my apologies.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, luv4cruises said:

With more than 50 cruises on 6 different cruise lines Celebrity had become my favorite! As cruising resumed we have experienced cutbacks on Celebrity and other cruise lines. On Celebrity - no welcome aboard champagne, no cabin tote bags, reduced MDR menu, smaller portions, most recently 9.95 + gratuities charge for room service, reduced classics’ menu, discontinuing of Blu option to order from full MDR menu, elimination of canapés for Aqua guests, charge for second lobster, reduced dinner offerings in Ocean View cafe, minimal bathroom products. Add to that  rapidly escalating prices- a$1,000.00increase in 1 month for a 6 day 2024 cruise we were planning to book after Thanksgiving and tried to book after Christmas!  None of the cutbacks alone is any big deal but the TREND is!!!!
Most importantly the manner in which these changes are being rolled  out feels like an ambush to me. No prior notification We have 3 future cruises booked. What Celebrity is delivering is NOT the product we purchased. We are not being treated as valued, loyal guests.  I’m sure if I read the contract  there will be clauses that justify their changes and charges. That is not the point. I always felt Celebrity was classy, a step above Princess and HAL. Modern luxury is on its way out as Celebrity joins the nickel and dime cruise lines. What is next?  Read the boards - your main source of info. 

Well, pre-pandemic and things were great with most of us sailing carefree with 'relatively' minor issues (as continued comments bridged pre- and post-).

Most cruise lines, as are airlines and other vacation spots, are trying to make up for lost revenue during this time and payback of loans taken out to remain afloat and etc... some expenses carried on during the down time, as it did in my household.

We were able to keep afloat with some bit of pain here and there, we were able to do it without loans or new financing in our life...

I will go out on a limb and say that many US passenger focused cruise lines have the same challenges and are coming up with similar solutions...

I read the Cruise Critics on the various boards here and no one has really come up with a 'happy medium' as to how these beloved lines need to approach this financial situation as opposed to going the way of Crystal Cruises.

The eternal search for good fares, good service, good staff appears to be coming up short, as far as I can read, here... there are solutions which some of my favourite posters are taking which include changing to a more 'inclusive' cruise line, which I think is great.

Many of us who choose to stay with X and still have challenges with the new current approach to sailing and keeping the coffers adequately filled i.e. cutbacks and increased fees and etc... we need to think about if sailing is still a good form of vacationing for us due to this...

Like picking our fights here on CC, we need to pick our cruise line(s) accordingly and sail on...

bon voyage

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am not convinced that ordering anything you wish from the daily MDR while in Blu was ever an official policy.  I am not saying that it is not allowed, but I do not think it was the policy.  And now people are complaining that it is a “take away”.  Given the location of the Blu relative  to the MDR, I am not sure why they would make the MDR menu a standard policy.  I could see the everyday MDR items being available. (Which was my experience).

Same think on some of the items being ordered for Room Service in certain cabin categories.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KatieDub said:

What recipe did you give them for the frozen toasted almond? It sounds so tasty but all the recipes I found on-line contain a scoop of icecream: I presume the bars on Celebrity don't stock ice cream to add to the drinks?!

It does contain ice cream. X uses an ice cream mix like they do in a mudslide. I ask them to swirl chocolate around the glass too.

image.thumb.jpeg.451cdb5f5abc5b84194438563aae979c.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Please...just the facts, details and photos that are primary source materials.  Is that too much when posting about the actual topic?  Other comments are always welcome!

Edited by Lastdance
Okay...tell me I am wrong!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, zitsky said:

I have a friend who eats gluten free.  I’ve eaten her desserts but they don’t seem quite the same.

Yeah, they aren't. Pretty much doesn't matter who bakes it. Has to do with the type of flour and lack of "elasticity". But when you have to eat gluten free for health issue, you do what you have to do.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Respectfully disagree. What got cruise lines into this place is shutting down the world economy and, in particular, cruises for 18 months. Now, I might agree if you want to expand upon how corporate greed (executive compensation) played into the pandemic response, but unfortunately this isn't the forum for that discussion. 

Sure, executives compensation could be less, but Fain could donate his entire salary (14 Million) and that wouldn't even begin to touch one month of interest only payments on current debt. Executive compensation is miniscule compared to current debt load. They could all donate 100% of their salaries and work for free for the next five years and it would be a drop in the bucket.

Interestingly, Frank Del Rio didn't take the same approach as Mr. Fain. 84% of the shareholders voted to give him a paycut and instead he ignored them and took a tremendous raise during covid. Now he put his son in charge of Oceana. So, I'm not disagreeing that executive compensation is problematic, but I am suggesting that cruise lines, in particular, are straddled with more debt than they can handle. I still  believe restructuring is inevitable. 

The dwindling of food, amenities, and service started well before the pandemic.   The pandemic has exacerbated the problem.  

Cruiselines, no doubt, are trying to weather the pandemic storm.   The only issue I see, is that once something is gone, be it a good or service, it rarely returns.   The value of cruising (for me) has decreased considerably since my first cruise over 20 years ago.    

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

I read the Cruise Critics on the various boards here and no one has really come up with a 'happy medium' as to how these beloved lines need to approach this financial situation as opposed to going the way of Crystal Cruises.

The impression I have gotten, after having read the same concerns in many threads on CC and elsewhere is that people understand that X and other businesses need to recover from the financial setbacks exacerbated by the pandemic (which isn't over, by the way). They absolutely get that changes need to be made.

People just wish that X would choose: either charge more for the same product we have come to expect, or institute cutbacks and additional charges (lessening the overall quality of the product for the fare prices we've come to expect). The problem, as I am interpreting it, is that X is raising prices at an alarming rate while simultaneously decreasing the value of the overall experience. 

Obviously, the "everything is awful" and the "everything is awesome" people don't agree, but this is how I am interpreting the overall consensus of those with concerns. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to "shinkflation". I have noticed product quantities reduced while prices have increased as well..across a number of categories...  And we will likely reduce number of cruises we take each year...given noticeably increased prices. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We will be on the edge soon, and it will be interesting because on 3 nights we couldn’t get a reservation for the time we need to eat so we will need to check out the OVC on another night to see if it is ok for us. Then decide if we need to get a mdr time if it isn’t. I am gluten free so a limited buffet could be a challenge. 

We have a Galapagos booked and a 2025 cruise booked and both were at prices we were ok with, we sail insides by choice. We have very basic needs so nothing is scaring me away yet, but we did leave Disney because of price concerns and they took away stuff we enjoyed, so I empathize with folks that are losing things they enjoy and don’t blame them for moving to another line. 

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, D C said:

It's death by 1000 cuts, yet there are factions who actually try to shame those who are disappointed (or more) at the changes.   Those would be the 'You should be happy you're on a ship' people when people mention that the premium beverage package provides a fraction of the sold bill of goods. 

Some cuts are not very deep while some are more than mere flesh wounds.  It's easy to dismiss those minor items that don't affect you personally (like seriously, I have never tried an oatmeal raisin cookie on X), or to justify the reduced service/offerings that are apparent when significant portions of the buffet are not being used (e.g. the entire rear serving area and at least one 'island' on the Edge were unused...but that's fine because the ship isn't full, right?), or the room service charges, or the lobster charges, or the missing embarkation 'champagne', or.... 

Those cutbacks are more than a little tough to swallow when Celebrity is also massively increasing prices to where their balconies are priced at least 30-40% higher than Princess or Holland (or any other mainstream line), and when Suite prices are in the company of ACTUAL luxury lines.

For the first time in almost 10 years, we don't have a single future cruise booked with Celebrity.  

Instead, we have multiple cruises booked on Princess.  Sure, we're Princess virgins, and we might find that we overall prefer Celebrity, but I highly doubt we'll wish we had paid thousands more for X.  

Agree with most of what you said especially those discounting other's opinions as you should be happy to be cruising.  We were have cruised mostly Princess and have just found X.  On our cruise this month I did a spreadsheet comparing cruises and much to my surprise comparing a verandah to mini suite X came out quite a bit less.

Princess does not have the "class" system like X   You literally cannot buy your way into Sanctuary.  You have to get one of the first boarding times and RUN there to possibly secure a space.  We have loved Princess but the most recent cruises were disappointing even though we had booked club class on two of them.  Slow service and cold or undesirable meals.  

I will really be interested to compare our upcoming cruise on the Equinox since the last X cruise was on the Edge in April. 

24 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

Agree with most of what you said especially those discounting other's opinions as you should be happy to be cruising.  We were have cruised mostly Princess and have just found X.  On our cruise this month I did a spreadsheet comparing cruises and much to my surprise comparing a verandah to mini suite X came out quite a bit less.

Princess does not have the "class" system like X   You literally cannot buy your way into Sanctuary.  You have to get one of the first boarding times and RUN there to possibly secure a space.  We have loved Princess but the most recent cruises were disappointing even though we had booked club class on two of them.  Slow service and cold or undesirable meals.  

I will really be interested to compare our upcoming cruise on the Equinox since the last X cruise was on the Edge in April. 

I'm glad you found something you like. Be aware that a Mini on Princess is considerably more spacious than a verandah on X. In the past, food has generally been better on X, but cutbacks are definitely being made. 

I hope you will enjoy your cruise! 

1 hour ago, Dar & Bob said:

I'm surprised that X ended up cheaper.  We're saving over $1000 by sailing with Princess in a normal balcony with Princess Plus compared to a basic non-obstructed balcony on X with similar perks.  No couch in the room and a smaller balcony from what I understand, but our needs are met with that and the other offerings onboard. They have a "Sunset Bar" and even have a pool nearby. Throw in some good pizza and we're good to go. 

11 hours ago, D C said:

I'm surprised that X ended up cheaper.  We're saving over $1000 by sailing with Princess in a normal balcony with Princess Plus compared to a basic non-obstructed balcony on X with similar perks.  No couch in the room and a smaller balcony from what I understand, but our needs are met with that and the other offerings onboard. They have a "Sunset Bar" and even have a pool nearby. Throw in some good pizza and we're good to go. 

Not Sure what ship you are on but comparing a regular balcony on Princess to us is no comparison to a veranda on X.  We sailed on Princess in a DB to save some money and it was okay but definitely not a comparison. .  When I did my comparison Princess Enchanted was 6110 per couple for 10 nights in a MS with Plus pkg while Equinox was 4127 per couple for 9 nights Veranda with Classic package.  Suprisingly a week later the price dropped and I got the Enhace package with the 1a Vernada for 4,113.  The one night more is worth something but not $2K.  

I always look at both.  We want to try the new Sun Princess but so far I can do an E class for less money.  

• Like 1