The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday January 29th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

39 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I agree that is the cruise we met on. We actually met in the hotel lobby waiting for the shuttle to the ship, if I remember correctly.

I just noticed you said Quebec City - Fort Lauderdale. I'm pretty sure that was from Fort Lauderdale - Quebec City and we met in the hotel in Dania Beach, a hotel I still use when in FLL.

And I'm sure you remember correctly!  I should have realized it was northbound since our day in Newport was in May.  🙂  

• Like 10

I'll get back to reading later, but just to let you know, we have 3 cop cars in front of our house, and why you may ask?  Well when I was backing out to go get groceries I noticed that the back door to the Vietnamese neighbors looked odd.  We got out, and sure enough, some one had broken into their house.  They will be in Vietnam for another month.  Now DH did something stupid, he opened the dorr, so his fingerprints are on the door.  And he went into the house, so his finger prints are in the kitchen.

WE cannot tell if anything was stolen, because the room is empty, and has been empty since the big freeze when they were gone, and I think their pipes ruptured.

But they seem very cautious...one car is way down the street, one big car is in front of our yard, and a third card is in front of the house across the street (which secretly operates as a nursing home) .  They keep waiting for the guy in the car down the street to pull up.  I went out and said hey, and came back in, DH is still out there, but the cops are not very friendly.  Nor are they asking any questions.

They are just out there standing in the driveway.  Oh, now they are standing in the street.  Donna who is usually quiet nosy hasnt even come out.  Three cop cars for one break in?  And I think the neighbors on the other side did it, or a homeless person.....I did tell you all that while this was a nice enighborhood years ago, it is the hood...right?

Now Donna called....she's talking to DH.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 8

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Good Sunday morning, everyone.  All my thoughts and prayers go out to our Daily friends who are in pain or unwell.  I hope things improve for every one of you.  💐

Typing with one finger would drive me batty!!  

RIP dear Hazel McCallion.  101 years old and a force to be reckoned with.  She was held in awe by everyone who encountered her.  God bless and God speed.  ❤️

I want to go to Newport, RI!!  We were planning a trip there during the cruising shutdown and never made it.  Maybe one day.

Oh my goodness.  I came to a stunned full-stop and had a great big laugh at the thought of @Lady Hudson knitting a scarf to go out in the cold.  “Oh.  I can’t find my scarf.  Give me 5 minutes and I’ll whip one up.  Be right with you.”  That is SO not my world but I am SUPER impressed.  Wow.

I will pass on today’s meal in favour of ginger beef stir fry.  Yum.  Today’s big plans are my regular Sunday FaceTime chat with my sister and my parents.  Thank you, technology.

So, puzzles…. I brought the Two Million Dollar Puzzle to my daughter and son-in-law for Christmas.  It comes with no picture and no instructions other than to complete it, scan the QR code you’ve just put together, then send it in and see if you’ve won a million dollars.  Yesterday I got a call asking when I am coming because they’ve hit a wall.  It seems too many pieces fit together with too many other pieces.  They have a bed prepared.  😂

0B965A61-ACC0-4719-8399-5C885C43CBD2.thumb.jpeg.1960d2e368c08f551910212746aa27be.jpeg

Yesterday was gorgeous.  Sunny and a high of 55f/13c.  Today it has started raining but it’s still quite mild.  46f/8c.  Here is a picture of the sunrise for Roy @rafinmd.  Have a great day, everyone.

5D7F20D1-3C43-418D-A031-02DC7C2C91AA.thumb.jpeg.48d64cd36fa8e1aa7930b0b2f0f8df85.jpeg

Well — large size needles, thick yarn, simple stitches, took about 4 hours.  🧶  Katherine

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

@puppycanducruise yes she most certainly was! She dealt with that train derailment in the 70's, her husband had dementia  (or alzheimers) and she dealt with that and she  ran the city like a business and did an awesome job!  So many condos got built, including "the dancers"  which are the tallest in the area and every floor  was slightly different than the one above or below it.  I lived  just north of there for 40 years.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 4966and556 said:

@puppycanducruise yes she most certainly was! She dealt with that train derailment in the 70's, her husband had dementia  (or alzheimers) and she dealt with that and she  ran the city like a business and did an awesome job!  So many condos got built, including "the dancers"  which are the tallest in the area and every floor  was slightly different than the one above or below it.  I lived  just north of there for 40 years.  

I totally forgot about the train derailment!  That was crazy.  @puppycanducruise, did you live in the area too?

@marshhawk, excitement in the neighbourhood!  You did say that you saw a suspicious black car, I believe.  I guess they knew.  Sorry to hear about the break-in.

@Lady Hudson, very impressive!  I love the thick yarn look.

@lobsternight, enjoy your lobster night!  And, also, is it congratulations on retirement?  That is certainly worth celebrating.

I am loving all the Newport, RI pictures!  Thank you!!

• Like 14

Here here for National Puzzle Day. A family tradition as long as I can remember was a jigsaw puzzle at Christmas. Then whenever I visited my father the last 10 years of his life, we did one. And when Covid started, like others I did many jigsaw puzzles. Now I need to find homes for them. On ships, when I walk by one in the Crow's Nest, I always try to add at least one piece. 

• Like 19

9 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you to Roy who normally takes care of these lists.  You do a lot for us every day and we appreciate you.  If anyone has anything else to add today please let us know who your prayers and shoutouts go to.

Today’s care list:

Roy in hospital with pneumonia and low sodium
Marshhawk doctor/vet problems
HAL Sailer DBIL in final days and family squabbles
RIP Patricia 1/23/23
Kazu with continuing pain
StLouisCruisers neighbor Rudy awaiting bypass surgery
From the rotation:
Rowsby in need of shoulder replacement
Status of Scrapnana
Marshhawk DH eye issues.
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Debbie finishes bedroom painting/decorating

New photos of Miss Camilla and Elliott Rose
Redneck Bob in Vegas until 2/1
cruzn single in Hawaii until 1/31
Heartgrove (disembarking Carnival Legend), DeeniEncinitas, and sailingdutchy (Koningsdam  to 1/31),  lindaler and ottahand7 (Volendam  to 3/18), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12) at sea

A double thank you to you for the fleet report and the care list.  Hope Roy bounces back soon.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, lobsternight said:

Thanks everyone for the posts and prayers to those in need.  Just catching up with the last few days of the fleet report.  Friday was a busy day at work but most fulfilling.  I was not sure coming out of retirement was a good idea but am loving it.

Well its lobster night tonight. Thought I would treat the family and everyone is excited.  Will head up to the store soon and pick up the bad boys. Its cold but clear out so will steam them on the BBQ.

Quite overwhelmed right now.  DW has never had a new car, I've only ever had 1.  Usually just buy with whatever we have cash for. Well the DW is a good egg, always takes care of me.  We decided just this once she should have something made to order.  Most sense for her is a mid size SUV or crossover. Just into the initial stage of research and I'm already so confused. I chuckle because so much emphasis is on connectivity and stuff like that.  Mrs Lobsternight does not embrace any form of technology. The fact she has email and checks it now and then is a miracle.  No cell phone, nothing.  Her only request is that she gets backup camera.

My current car has blind spot detection.  I like it a lot. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, lobsternight said:

@marshhawkdo keep us posted

Like Debbie said...we NEED to know what's going on @marshhawk!

You wouldn't believe what happened on my street about 3 years ago.  It involved an armored SWAT vehicle ramming the front of a house and shots fired.  Not kidding either.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

It's rained most of the day, and our temperature has dropped to 40F.  Add to that, there is a strong north wind, so it was a good day to stay in and do laundry.  The last load (sheets) are in the dryer now.

5 hours ago, hal lover said:

I hope you feel better soon! You are in my prayers!

Welcome to the Daily.

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Another crazy day.  No repeat CAT scan but a lot of activity,  Dr said 
pM antibiotics, physical therapist and I walked about halfway down the corridor with a walker no problem.  Just in time for my church’s sermon and part of my Miami church’s service.  Right after lunch my 

pastor came by and another variation n blood pressure checks..  No antibiotics yet

Roy

Roy, you have had a busy day, and all of us were telling you to rest.  There really is not rest in a hospital, but I'm glad you got a short walk in today.

2 hours ago, lobsternight said:

Thanks everyone for the posts and prayers to those in need.  Just catching up with the last few days of the fleet report.  Friday was a busy day at work but most fulfilling.  I was not sure coming out of retirement was a good idea but am loving it.

Well its lobster night tonight. Thought I would treat the family and everyone is excited.  Will head up to the store soon and pick up the bad boys. Its cold but clear out so will steam them on the BBQ.

Quite overwhelmed right now.  DW has never had a new car, I've only ever had 1.  Usually just buy with whatever we have cash for. Well the DW is a good egg, always takes care of me.  We decided just this once she should have something made to order.  Most sense for her is a mid size SUV or crossover. Just into the initial stage of research and I'm already so confused. I chuckle because so much emphasis is on connectivity and stuff like that.  Mrs Lobsternight does not embrace any form of technology. The fact she has email and checks it now and then is a miracle.  No cell phone, nothing.  Her only request is that she gets backup camera.

Enjoy your lobster dinner.

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

I'll get back to reading later, but just to let you know, we have 3 cop cars in front of our house, and why you may ask?  Well when I was backing out to go get groceries I noticed that the back door to the Vietnamese neighbors looked odd.  We got out, and sure enough, some one had broken into their house.  They will be in Vietnam for another month.  Now DH did something stupid, he opened the dorr, so his fingerprints are on the door.  And he went into the house, so his finger prints are in the kitchen.

WE cannot tell if anything was stolen, because the room is empty, and has been empty since the big freeze when they were gone, and I think their pipes ruptured.

But they seem very cautious...one car is way down the street, one big car is in front of our yard, and a third card is in front of the house across the street (which secretly operates as a nursing home) .  They keep waiting for the guy in the car down the street to pull up.  I went out and said hey, and came back in, DH is still out there, but the cops are not very friendly.  Nor are they asking any questions.

They are just out there standing in the driveway.  Oh, now they are standing in the street.  Donna who is usually quiet nosy hasnt even come out.  Three cop cars for one break in?  And I think the neighbors on the other side did it, or a homeless person.....I did tell you all that while this was a nice enighborhood years ago, it is the hood...right?

Now Donna called....she's talking to DH.

Annie, please do keep us posted.  

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

You wouldn't believe what happened on my street about 3 years ago.  It involved an armored SWAT vehicle ramming the front of a house and shots fired.  Not kidding either.

Wow, what exciting lives some of us lead.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

WOW!  I had to respond to this separately because there is no 😲 reaction emoji, which is exactly how I looked when I read that.  

@marshhawk, isn’t it about time for an update?  *finger taps*

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

OMG!   Tell the rest of the story.  Like, why?

16 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

@marshhawk, isn’t it about time for an update?  *finger taps*

I think it is! 

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, dfish said:

OMG!   Tell the rest of the story.  Like, why?

I think it is! 

Debbie, ask me on the Zaandam this summer and I'll give you the whole story.  I don't want to divulge some very bad behavior by the occupants on this platform.  One is in prison right now!

But we'd love to hear about the break in on Annie's street.  Hopefully it's not another neighbor who did the break in.

• Like 13

The most excitement in my neighborhood was when a neighbor was screaming in pain and his partner called 9-1-1. It may have sounded to the dispatcher like either a home invasion or a domestic assault, but the result was that the police arrived and approached the house with guns drawn. (Or they may have known something that I didn't, or any combination of these things.)

Eventually it became clear that what was needed was an ambulance, but the fire department arrived next (fire responds to many ambulance calls because they can usually arrive faster, and many of the firefighters have EMT licenses). Eventually the ambulance arrived; he was taken to the hospital and had his gallbladder removed the next day.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

The most excitement in my neighborhood was when a neighbor was screaming in pain and his partner called 9-1-1. It may have sounded to the dispatcher like either a home invasion or a domestic assault, but the result was that the police arrived and approached the house with guns drawn. (Or they may have known something that I didn't, or any combination of these things.)

Eventually it became clear that what was needed was an ambulance, but the fire department arrived next (fire responds to many ambulance calls because they can usually arrive faster, and many of the firefighters have EMT licenses). Eventually the ambulance arrived; he was taken to the hospital and had his gallbladder removed the next day.

At least there was a happy ending there!

• Like 9

Sorry, Donna came over.  So the cops went in the house, guns drawn, they investigated the house, found nothing, tried to call Huong, it went to voice mail.  DH went over after the cops left, and said it looked like who ever broke in was looking for something in particular, the camera bag was open, but the camera was still there, the tv was still there, but there were piles of clothes every where, the steps up to the attic were pulled down.  And when the cops left, they left the door open.  Now we hope that Mr. Bubbles or Uggles have not wandered in.  Tomorrow DH and I will buy a hasp and lock.  Put it on the door.  Tonight all we can do is put a piece of tape on the door, so if they come back and open the door, we will know.  

We also will go over and turn on the carport light, and turn it off, when we go to bed.

We are neighbors, we share a drive way, but we cant see the house from our house, unless we are outside, or on the porch.  It's cold, it's raining now, and we hope that they dont come back.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 10

1 minute ago, marshhawk said:

Sorry, Donna came over.  So the cops went in the house, guns drawn, they investigated the house, found nothing, tried to call Huong, it went to voice mail.  DH went over after the cops left, and said it looked like who ever broke in was looking for something in particular, the camera bag was open, but the camera was still there, the tv was still there, but there were piles of clothes every where, the steps up to the attic were pulled down.  And when the cops left, they left the door open.  Now we hope that Mr. Bubbles or Uggles have not wandered in.  Tomorrow DH and I will buy a hasp and lock.  Put it on the door.  Tonight all we can do is put a piece of tape on the door, so if they come back and open the door, we will know.  

We also will go over and turn on the carport light, and turn it off, when we go to bed.

We are neighbors, we share a drive way, but we cant see the house from our house, unless we are outside, or on the porch.  It's cold, it's raining now, and we hope that they dont come back.

At least they have neighbors like you who want to help and are concerned.  I'm sure they'll thank you when they get home.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I realized a little while ago that I'm currently taking three online classes and teaching two. Two of those that I'm taking run for six weeks, concurrently, but only one of them requires doing any work outside of class and it's offered asynchronously through Coursera. One of the other courses is on Demons and Possession, taught by two rabbis. One of the two seems to believe 100% in demons.

Dinner tonight is what in Germany or Switzerland would be called Russische Eier: hard-boiled eggs with a mayonnaise dressing, plus Swiss chard with sunflower seeds and parmesan cheese. Except for the sunflower seeds, these needed to be used up before I leave.

• Like 14

40 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Debbie, ask me on the Zaandam this summer and I'll give you the whole story.  I don't want to divulge some very bad behavior by the occupants on this platform.  One is in prison right now!

So you’re saying “google it”.  😇 🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 8