Tipping baggage handlers

quincytoo

3 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Not all passengers are previous cruisers and want to know what is the norm on Princess ships.

Not all cruisers are from USA  where tipping procedures may be very different from other countries. Some of these people want to know what is expected of them, rather than upset those expecting to be tipped.

100% accurate!  

It is customary in the US to tip anywhere from $3-$5 per large bag and $2-$3 for a smaller bag .. towards the higher end if your luggage is heavy.  Some will tip more, some will tip less and some won’t tip at all.  Just noting what is customary!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ericosmith said:

So, let's assume they take a bag every minute and move it 5 feet.  With an average tip of $3 that's an hourly rate of $180.  Not a bad gig...

I have "porters" spend more than a minute with me.  The load is distributed amongst several.  I needed a "porter" and one was nowhere to be found.  Some (staff) person hailed one down for me.  He ran across the street/drive way to assist me.  This all took about 15 minutes.  He earned his keep for the day.  

There are some really hard workers out there.  

• Like 3

On 2/12/2023 at 8:29 AM, memoak said:

I was on a cruise leaving from SF during a “work slowdown” action and one crate of luggage ended up in the bay. It was raining and those who weren’t waving bills around got totally ignored. Yes we do tip

I was there that day. Not the best of days for passengers 😞

On 2/11/2023 at 6:46 PM, startedwithamouse said:

But everything is taxed on the $70k a year. That is certainly not take home. Average rent is $2,500 a month, small homes start at $750k, plus utilities, gasoline (highest taxes in the country). Longshoremen are not wealthy. Southern California is not affordable.  Tips are also taxable income. 

Not everything is taxed on $70k a year. You are forgetting the tax exempt amount which varies depending on whether single, married or head of household.

On 2/10/2023 at 8:41 PM, arizonaperson said:

I usually do give the baggage handlers a tip when I cruise.

But I’m just thinking out loud here.

Aren’t the baggage handlers called porters when you go on a cruise ship? I have no idea how much they make per hour or if their job is a temporary one,etc.

I think they make significantly less than longshoreman. Don’t longshoreman work forklifts ,containers on & off ships and equipment like that ,so therefore they get paid more? 

I’m just trying to figure out when people say they don’t tip because they make a lot of money -the longshoreman ,just curious if the people at the curb handling your bags are really porters and make a lot less than you think. I have no idea .I have not researched this ,but I say no matter where you are ( restaurant, coffee shop, hotel, rideshare )tip what you feel like , up to each individual what they do. 

Is it possible that we never have the opportunity to tip longshoremen  because they “work “behind the scenes getting our bags onto the ship??

No, they are longshoremen.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 5:15 AM, latebloomer56 said:

... and it's great when we breeze through customs when we get off the ship because the guy taking our bags to the curb has a quick line.

You've really hit a pet peeve of mine.  Why should passengers who pay for someone to move their luggage get ANY priority through immigration/customs over those who schlep their own?  I totally understand it if the passenger is disabled, as it is their disabling condition which makes standing in long slow-moving lines difficult, but I don't understand why healthy well-to-do people can buy priority.

3 minutes ago, Times Prince said:

You've really hit a pet peeve of mine.  Why should passengers who pay for someone to move their luggage get ANY priority through immigration/customs over those who schlep their own?  I totally understand it if the passenger is disabled, as it is their disabling condition which makes standing in long slow-moving lines difficult, but I don't understand why healthy well-to-do people can buy priority.

God Bless America.  We have the freedom to pay for services we  want or not.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Times Prince said:

Actually, I'm on oxygen but have been doing this in Boston for a number of years. Granted sometimes the line is longer but at that point I'm committed. Yes it is nice to have my bags taken to the curb and the car pick us up there to end a great vacation. After all we work many hours to pay for nice relaxing vacations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Actually, I'm on oxygen but have been doing this in Boston for a number of years. Granted sometimes the line is longer but at that point I'm committed. Yes it is nice to have my bags taken to the curb and the car pick us up there to end a great vacation. After all we work many hours to pay for nice relaxing vacations.

Being on oxygen is a perfectly valid reason for hiring porters and getting some priority through lines.  That's what I referred to under the global term "disability".

However where someone is healthy and hires a porter to get priority through US immigration and Customs, where I come from that is called a bribe as we are all created equal.

Edited by Times Prince

Thank everyone who responded 

I certainly learnt a lot 

One more week to go before we cruise 

Expecting snow next week so we will certainly happy to be on our first post COVID cruise 

this is my 13 princess cruise and so excited that we are going on a cruise again 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, triple7tahoe said:

Since tipping porters was original topic I wonder how much of the baggage that went into the bay was from bad or non tippers? 🙂

None, since the luggage is on a cart with 20 other bags.

On 2/11/2023 at 6:46 PM, startedwithamouse said:

But everything is taxed on the $70k a year. That is certainly not take home. Average rent is $2,500 a month, small homes start at $750k, plus utilities, gasoline (highest taxes in the country). Longshoremen are not wealthy. Southern California is not affordable.  Tips are also taxable income. 

Nobody forces them to take a "low wage"  $70k job.  Nobody forces them to decide to live in a high cost of living area.  Nobody has forced them to not get an education where they might earn a higher wage.  It isn't my responsibility to help them when they perhaps made a bad career choice.

DON

13 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Nobody forces them to take a "low wage"  $70k job.  Nobody forces them to decide to live in a high cost of living area.  Nobody has forced them to not get an education where they might earn a higher wage.  It isn't my responsibility to help them when they perhaps made a bad career choice.

Maybe this could be said about ANY job and ALL tipping should be banned ??????

(I live in an area where tipping has not been the norm until recent years, where it is, unfortunately becoming the ‘done’ thing.)

24 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

DON

For a low education job, they're doing pretty well all things considered. 

7 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Do you not tip wait people in restaurants?  All they do is take an order and walk a plate or 2 across a room

50 minutes ago, memoak said:

Do you not tip wait people in restaurants?  All they do is take an order and walk a plate or 2 across a room

a percentage of the bill tip is the scam... same or better service at a Waffle House and the bill is $20

Somewhat related question
Say I simply do not wish to use the port porters and prefer to deliver my luggage myself, but not take it on board myself through security that may not have the ability to scan it.

How can I find where to deposit the luggage, where is the "hole in the wall" that one post mentioned?
Specifically at Galveston, but is there a standard that I can follow and do this everywhere?

This seems to be a "gap" in the service of the cruise line for those of us that do not WANT to use porters. I don't want to use them nor tip them, if they were a "part of the cruise" their tips would be included.

3 hours ago, jaychi said:

Somewhat related question
Say I simply do not wish to use the port porters and prefer to deliver my luggage myself, but not take it on board myself through security that may not have the ability to scan it.

How can I find where to deposit the luggage, where is the "hole in the wall" that one post mentioned?
Specifically at Galveston, but is there a standard that I can follow and do this everywhere?

This seems to be a "gap" in the service of the cruise line for those of us that do not WANT to use porters. I don't want to use them nor tip them, if they were a "part of the cruise" their tips would be included.

You don't have to tip, it's not mandatory.  I've never seen anyone called out for not tipping and I've never seen anyone get special treatment for tipping.  

Or you drag your bag(s) with you. 

I've cured that.  I bring a carry-on.  Everything I need is in that bag.  I don't need to check it and it's not an issue to drag with.  That's how I choose to travel.  

Them's your choices, porter or no porter.  Your choice, it's not an issue, it's how it is. 

There is no longer a need to wonder about these things. Just ask ChatGPT.

"The appropriate tip for a cruise porter typically ranges between $2 to $5 per bag. This amount can vary depending on various factors such as the size and weight of your bags, the level of service provided by the porter, and the prevailing tipping culture in the region where you are departing from. Some cruise lines may include porter gratuities in their fare, so it's always a good idea to check with your cruise line beforehand. Regardless, tipping your porter is a good way to show your appreciation for their service and hard work."

1 minute ago, roadster08 said:

There is no longer a need to wonder about these things. Just ask ChatGPT.

"The appropriate tip for a cruise porter typically ranges between $2 to $5 per bag. This amount can vary depending on various factors such as the size and weight of your bags, the level of service provided by the porter, and the prevailing tipping culture in the region where you are departing from. Some cruise lines may include porter gratuities in their fare, so it's always a good idea to check with your cruise line beforehand. Regardless, tipping your porter is a good way to show your appreciation for their service and hard work."

"Hard work " !

Moving a suitcase 10 yards !