Is it shady to phantom book a child to be able to select a balcony stateroom?

binro01

So odd dilemma here.

A cruise I'm looking to do last minute only has guaranteed Oceanview balcony staterooms for the Allure of the Seas if I try to book just my wife and I. We can not choose our stateroom.

But for a few dollars more, I can book an Oceanview Balcony Stateroom with a our grandchild's name and be able to choose our balcony stateroom. We are more than happy to pay the small amount more. (We are talking only 50.00 more over the port fees because of the kids sail free promo.) And from what I have heard, if the grandchild is a no show at port, which he will be, we get the port fees refunded to us as a refundable on board credit to our shipboard account.

So I'm basically doing an end around the system so we can choose our cabin for 50.00. We really are afraid of getting a cabin on deck 14 under the pools or a cabin in a very noisy location.

Is this poor form? Or should I just do it. And is what I have heard about getting the port fees refunded to the stateroom account accurate for no shows? Thanks in advance for your responses.

33 minutes ago, binro01 said:

So odd dilemma here.

A cruise I'm looking to do last minute only has guaranteed Oceanview balcony staterooms for the Allure of the Seas if I try to book just my wife and I. We can not choose our stateroom.

But for a few dollars more, I can book an Oceanview Balcony Stateroom with a our grandchild's name and be able to choose our balcony stateroom. We are more than happy to pay the small amount more. (We are talking only 50.00 more over the port fees because of the kids sail free promo.) And from what I have heard, if the grandchild is a no show at port, which he will be, we get the port fees refunded to us as a refundable on board credit to our shipboard account.

Is the reason you can only get guaranteed because you're only booking for two guests, but if you add a third to your stateroom, it allows you to select a cabin?  I'm always confused about how it works as to what can be booked by who and when and how many.... 

As for your question, the answer is usually If you have to ask.... then you already know the answer.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, nzdisneymom said:

I'm always confused about how it works as to what can be booked by who and when and how many.... 

Yes, I was very confused too. I basically stumbled into this situation because I was checking for a friend that was going to bring their 3 yr old grand child with them to give their daughter a break and noticed that they were able to select a cabin while I was not.. That got me thinking... I just kind of feel a little dirty about doing that and potentially taking a cabin from a family looking to do a vacation, but the odds are I'm not and it will probably be given to a person who booked a guarantee anyways and its the luck of the draw. getting one of these rooms vs one on the 14th floor. Thus why I'm going to most likely do it. I'll have a couple of drinks in the bar to wash away any regrets once I board.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, binro01 said:

So odd dilemma here.

So I'm basically doing an end around the system so we can choose our cabin for 50.00. We really are afraid of getting a cabin on deck 14 under the pools or a cabin in a very noisy location.

Is this poor form? Or should I just do it. And is what I have heard about getting the port fees refunded to the stateroom account accurate for no shows? Thanks in advance for your responses.

It will keep a family of 3 from booking the cabin. Why do people come to CC for permission to cheat?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, binro01 said:

So odd dilemma here.

Port fees and taxes for no show guests will be refunded to the credit card used to book the cruise and not issued as OBC. 

• Like 2