Silver Moon Transatlantic Mar. 16 - 28, 2023 Travelogue

ggo85

Figured I’d get the party started. As background, this is our second SS cruise - we are Crystal “refugees” and also have sailed X in suite class along with a bunch of other lines. At least our 50th cruise, but our first TA. 

As others have posted, embarkation was awful and not a great start to the voyage. We arrived around 1:45. Someone took our bags promptly and security screening was a breeze. We filled out health forms and then . . . sat.  And sat.  As in 75 minutes before we could check in.  The problem was they started late and had only 5 people doing check in. At about 5 minutes per person / couple, you can do the math.  We boarded around 3:10.  The slowest I’ve seen on any ship and any line in recent memory, including the days when we had to do COVID testing at the terminal.  And no explanation as to the reason for the delay. 

On the plus side, our cabin was ready and our luggage was there when we arrived.  Our butler arrived promptly and was a very refreshing change to the one on our prior cruise.  I mentioned what we preferred to drink (minibar) and he was back with our preferences in less than 15 minutes.  And brought wine glasses - we waited three days for them last SS cruise.  So we’re very pleased on that front so far.  

A few points of interest. First, no one asked for or looked at our vaccine cards.  We had uploaded them in advance, so that could be the reason. Certainly no need to print copies for SS purposes. Second, as of now, masks are recommended but optional at all times in all venues.  Finally, the first, last and port days are all casual dress for dinner.  Not surprised re first and last but on our summer cruise it was informal every port night.  Wish I’d known that as I would have packed a bit differently.  

No main show tonight.  There is an in-person muster drill. 

Will try to post at least daily, internet permitting. Happy to take questions.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Wishing you smooth sailing and really sorry to read about the slow, messy embarkation.  Hope you enjoy the rest of the cruise🙂

We really do need a sad or hugs choice instead of just like, laugh or thanks when these sort of posts come up.

• Haha 1

Dinner tonight in Atlantide.  We really like it.  Always find many great options.  We’re also not food snobs. Everything was great other than they didn’t have the hazelnut ice cream on the menu.  It’s a personal favorite but I found something else that I enjoyed.  

Ship is 100% full - Every table was full at Atlantide.  They still served food promptly.  

No hot water in shower.  It was a cold shower!  Butler indicates it’s been fixed.  

Feeling a few swells. Nothing serious. Someone posted about noise in cabins directly below pool deck.  We’re there so will let folks know.  

Butler continues to impress.  I am a sparking water drinker and he noticed and brought extra bottles without my asking.  Huge change from prior cruise and on a par with Crystal butler (whom I considered uniformly superb). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Ship being 100% full is not entirely 100% accurate - maybe 100% cabins have someone in them but there are 52 solos on board.

I've never sailed a crossing with so many solos!

As a single, I hope that my Norwegian Fjords sailing in June 2024 has lots of singles. It should make it easier to find dinner companionship.

36 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

As a single, I hope that my Norwegian Fjords sailing in June 2024 has lots of singles. It should make it easier to find dinner companionship.

Its very easy to meet others, even without 52.....that is really ALOT of solo guests.

• Like 1

Day 1 at sea.  

The first thing I noticed is that there is much more opportunity to explore the ship. It’s hard to explain but sea days when there are lots of ports seem “rushed.”  You’re tired from port days and just want to unwind.  Thus, I at least, don’t do many activities. 

Today, I got the daily crossword.  Going to walk for an hour on the deck. Sat on my deck.  It’s relaxing knowing that, if I don’t go somewhere or do something today, I have tomorrow and the next day and the next . . .

Today you could guess the miles we’d traveled since FLL.  I guessed 265 and actual was 268, so I felt pretty good about that!  Weather has been great.  Today was definitely a pool day, though the pool itself was a bit rough. 

Singles — do have events for singles - there was one last night —  and gentlemen hosts on this cruise. The hosts are also available for dinner reservations. 

Tonight is formal night and production number is British music. 

50E6EF47-1ADC-4C76-A6A5-7DB82DF52141.jpeg

• Like 4

Formal night.  While some wore tuxes, most men wore coat and tie.  I think if you wear a tie and no jeans, you’re ok. Women wore everything from long to a somewhat dressy top with slacks. IMO, some not all that dressier than casual. At the show, I saw several men without jackets and no one sent them packing. I think the idea of “formal” is as formal —or not — as you want it to be, within certain limits. 

Dinner included lobster tail. Not huge but tasty. They do a great job of getting dinner out promptly even when crowded. 

Show (Mind the Gap - British music) was very good.  IMO, one of the featured singers was a bit weak but, overall, a very enjoyable performance.  Definitely worth staying up for!

Another shout out to our butler.  For us, a great butler anticipates your needs. Ours does that. Very impressed and a world of difference from our prior (and only other) SS cruise / butler. 

• Like 4

Some may wonder about activities on a TA sea day.  Rather than trying to scan Chronicles, I’ll hit the highlights for today. 

There are a number of fitness activities- yoga, Pilates, abs.  Shuffleboard, table tennis, and golf putting tournaments   

Medispa stuff - foot analysis, skin transformation, acupuncture— that sort of thing. About 5-6 of those. 

Wine tasting (would have gone but it conflicted with spa appt). Future voyages talk. 2 SALT demos. Enrichment lecture on back stage musicals (also conflicted with spa). Bingo. Team trivia. Bridge lessons for beginners and intermediate. Dance class. 

It was a lovely day, so I opted for sun and swimming in pool. Water is great temp. Walked on the deck.  Figure the weather will get worse so taking advantage of the good weather days while we have them. 

Lunch at grill yesterday and pizza today.  Hamburger was great but too much food for me.  Agree with poster on another thread that lunch pizza size is perfect. I had white pizza with mushrooms and it was wonderful.  Service is very good.  Pool bar service is excellent.  We don’t need much, but the server remembered I like ice water and brought it w/o my having to ask.  On Day 2. Impressive. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Camillus112 said:

Dance classes!!  Wonderful.  I don't remember them in my SS cruises...granted, two years pre-covid.  This would be a highlight for me.

While this is not a world cruise i read this  in the telegraph.. Title..How we fell in love with the  round the world cruise..100 years this month 450 passengers on board Cunard line Laconia stepped ashore in new York...🚢🥂.. oh such  glamorous days .. 

TELEMMGLPICT000328895530_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqP5cCLU3tGUKNTdPSRn7mulHmPOpeFd0SyQx9dn7kM_w.webp

• Like 3

Stumbles, stop it! You know I don’t do social media, the @jollyjones is just silly. 

However, that apart, I have just had a truly delicious meal in Salt. All is good. 
Third in trivia today, seriously tough questions, only 13 points, really didn’t think we’d place. Definitely all is good. 
And we seem to be following a high pressure dome across the pond with sunny skies and calm seas so definitely definitely all is good. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

Stumbles, stop it! You know I don’t do social media, the @jollyjones is just silly. 

It brings a smile to my face when I get you fired up! 😁

Glad to read all is good on board.    If you thought the trivia questions were hard, you can only imagine what I would have thought.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Lvshack said:

While this is not a world cruise i read this  in the telegraph.. Title..How we fell in love with the  round the world cruise..100 years this month 450 passengers on board Cunard line Laconia stepped ashore in new York...🚢🥂.. oh such  glamorous days .. 

TELEMMGLPICT000328895530_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqP5cCLU3tGUKNTdPSRn7mulHmPOpeFd0SyQx9dn7kM_w.webp

Does that guy in the corner have jeans on?🤣

• Haha 2