Food/Drink - What To Eat and Drink - What to Avoid?

Strumdatjag

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

Yikes!  How in the world could they mess up such easy cuisine?  Even I, a lowly Stumble, can make good Mexican food.  

I wanted to tell the chef he could have looked at the Chipotle menu for inspiration. Apparently the meal planner didn't know Mexican food involves vegetables 🙂. Enjoy Cinco de Mayo!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FauxNom said:

Enjoy Cinco de Mayo!

And on a Friday no less!

Mixing up extra Margarita's in case any of you choose to stop by.

The only meal we've ever had on Silversea that was send-back worthy was a vegetarian meal my wife ordered.  No amount of sauvignon blanc could wash it down.  But, following how this thread reflects the varied tastes of each of us, someone else might have loved it. 

I had the best turkey burger anywhere on a Silversea cruise.  All seafood dishes we had were great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Both pizza and hamburgers can be made to a very high standard. I remember some NYC restaurant with a hundred dollar burger with foie gras and wagyu beef and stuff like that. And even when made with more ordinary materials these can be well worth ordering if carefully executed.

Having said that- I do prefer ordering things that are difficult to make, or too complicated, or too messy.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2023 at 9:47 AM, Techno123 said:

Not that I plan on having pizza that often but I only like them with a really thin base - are they reflective of the Neapolitan name of the restaurant? 😁

If they are attempting Neapolitan style pizza then they’re really failing miserably.  Neapolitan does not just mean thin-crust….thin-crust could be New York style!  Neapolitan pizza has a thin, pillowy, very soft texture not the dry, chewy crust I encountered on the Moon.  48 hour proofing is the norm for Neapolitan.  

Thanks, this has been a fun thread to read. I'm pretty flexible, even though I'm hailing from a very foodie place. I'm kind squeamish/picky about steak so may take a pass there.

You can order your pizza to be customized. I like to have some rochetta added on top just before serving.  And order a small pizza or a calzone! I think the pizza is terrific. And yes reflective of the Neapolitan restaurant. But not like Pepe’s from New Haven.

You can order anything you’d like that is not on the menu 24 hours in advance. You can order a dinner party for your group and work with the chef/MD/your butler to tailor it to your liking, but you will need to give advance notice.  

The hamburgers are pretty awful IMO. Instead if i fancy a sandwich, I have ordered the fish of the day broiled and put it on a toasted bun with lettuce and tomato or cole slaw. I see that Poke bowls or sushi bowls are now offered at the pool grill as well. 

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

I see that Poke bowls or sushi bowls are now offered at the pool grill as well.

Oo, those sound good.  Will definitely have to try them the next time I sail.

You know how I feel about the hamburger.  By far, the worst I’ve had anywhere in the world. Awful. Absolutely awful. I do love your fish sandwich idea though!

On 5/7/2023 at 9:55 PM, drron29 said:

No poke bowls or sushi bowls on the Grill menu on the Moon.

I'm not sure about the printed menu, but the Moon does currently show the poke bowls on the menu on the TV, as of yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SusieQft said:

I'm not sure about the printed menu, but the Moon does currently show the poke bowls on the menu on the TV, as of yesterday.

On our TA from Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon in March, we had Poke bowls several times on the Moon at the pool. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

I'm intrigued. What is a poke bowl? 

Hi, this is a poke bowl:

A poke bowl base usually consists of rice, with protein choices of tuna, tofu, salmon and many more options. Sauces are an essential part of a poke bowl and can consist of wasabi mayo, eel sauce and dragon aioli.

and a couple of photos,

image.jpeg.99a5abc9267d98297a3d30e0355f88ee.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Hi Lola, it is very popular around here.......actually, there are different bowls.....I actually think they are originally from Hawaii but there is a Japanese influence. 

• Like 1

Pronounced Pokay.  It’s Hawaiian and has evolved over the years to include soy and sesame seasonings.  Poke is basically seasoned raw fish and a poke bowl is poke over rice.  Different from a chirashi bowl which has a greater variety of components and the fish is not pre-seasoned. 

And both are delicious and healthy if you can handle the sodium.

Edited by Gourmet Gal
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

I have never heard of it either.  Is it 'poke' or  'poky'?  And I guess basically Japanese?

Can't say it thrills me.  Maybe tastier than it sounds, and it looks pretty.

Lola

They can be very tasty.

Correctly pronounced poh-keh, same as you'd pronounce it as Japanese in Romanji.

7 hours ago, lincslady said:

Maybe tastier than it sounds…

It’s incredible.  Especially when made with fresh caught tuna.  

Just saying the word, Poke, makes me hungry.  You know, like when JP and Dr. Ron post their food pics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

It’s incredible.  Especially when made with fresh caught tuna.  

Just saying the word, Poke, makes me hungry.  You know, like when JP and Dr. Ron post their food pics.

I prefer it with either fresh salmon, or better yet, skipjack (also a tuna, very dark red meat) that I've caught off one of the islands there.

• Like 2