Mobile AL and the Spirit

Oakman58

I’ve been thinking about taking a cruise out of Mobile AL for more than 15 years and it looks like I will finally do it.  I’ve booked a cruise on the Spirit for February for the Western Caribbean.  I like the design of the ship.  What I didn’t like about the Conquest Class ships is the “you can’t get there from here” design of deck 3.  The Spirit doesn’t have this.

Here's a picture I took of the Carnival Holiday leaving Mobile Bay and heading into the Gulf of Mexico.

day27011_1.thumb.jpg.fd5aae45ae098c1c6cf0cb714881f215.jpg

• Like 5

The Spirit is an awesome ship, perfect layout IMHO and the dining room is quite nice compared to the grapes of the Miracle dining room. Also another thing going for the Spirit class is the best serentiy area in the fleet another humble opinion 😉

20220510_202213.jpg

Edited by n6uqqq
  • Like 5

Been on the Legend twice, the Pride once and have the Spirit booked out of Mobile.

We like the Spirit class.  Does it have everything, no.  But we like the layout and the amount of open space the ships have.

• Like 3

Guest BasicSailor

Returning home from another land vacation and had a wonderful time, can't go into details as it goes against the CC polices. Spirit has some age showing and I would place that ship a tad above the Fantasy class, a dying breed for sure.  Serenity is not very serene to me at all, mostly packed with people snoring or passing gas in their sleep.  Not my thoughts of enjoyment.( I would go for Mobile itself), in fact I would love staying there a few days before a cruise..😉

We were on the Spirit for two weeks this past December and it was great. The serenity deck was the best of any ship we've been on. The MDR generally ranged from good to great, with only one or two dishes we didn't care for. We would sail on the Spirit again in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

So glad to read the positive comments for an older ship.  I prefer ships that are the size of the Spirit or slightly larger.  Carnival has a history of using their oldest ships in Mobile.  I thought the price was right when I booked the 8 day cruise.

• Like 2

Spirit was a lot of fun, never felt crowded.  

Todd was one of the better CDs we have had.  very, very accessible throughout the cruise.  The evening shows are pretty solid, good cast.  maybe the most memorable thing was one of the coffee shop baristas had a pretty incredible singing voice and joined in on occasion, while working,  for the music trivia that was held across the aisle from the coffee.  

havana says checkitout! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you are looking for a little tranquility inside, don’t miss The Jungle, indoor promenade forward on deck 3.  Tables for 2 by a large round window where you can watch the ocean glide by.  Or turn your head and admire the giraffes on the walls.  Giraffes in the jungle?  What was Joe Farcus on when he dreamed that up…. Not much traffic there, most people don’t discover it until halfway through the cruise.   Most of the traffic is crew.  EM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Love the Spirit class ships, and can’t wait to sail on Spirit in November. The layout is easy, and they are just the right size. Maybe they don’t have all the bells and whistles of the Excel class, but I still love cruising on them! 

• Like 3

I sailed Spirit in January and loved her. My favorite Carnival ship out of the three I've been on. But I think it had the worst Serenity area. I think the fact that it is located on the lido deck next to the buffet just meant crowds would naturally spill out there and they were loud and obnoxious. Wasn't serene at all, at least on the cruise I was on. But aside from that, by far it was my favorite Carnival ship. Tons of space, never had a problem getting a deck chair (except in Serenity), staff was great, shows were good, dining room was nice. I would love to sail the Spirit again!

• Like 1

Happy that Mobile got Spirit - sad for me.  The larger ships seem to be moving to Miami.  Would have loved to sail Spirit again next year instead of Magic (or Horizon or Celebration) on 7+ day itineraries.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2023 at 9:21 AM, Essiesmom said:

If you are looking for a little tranquility inside, don’t miss The Jungle, indoor promenade forward on deck 3.  Tables for 2 by a large round window where you can watch the ocean glide by.  Or turn your head and admire the giraffes on the walls.  Giraffes in the jungle?  What was Joe Farcus on when he dreamed that up…. Not much traffic there, most people don’t discover it until halfway through the cruise.   Most of the traffic is crew.  EM

I will definitely be checking this out.  Thanks for the info.

Everybody has already told you how great the Spirit is so I thought I would chime in and compliment the Mobile cruise terminal. We sailed from Mobile on the Carnval Ecstasy’s final voyage back in October. It was one of the easiest terminals to get through we have ever experienced. They really pushed us through the line, we arrived at the terminal at 10:30 am and we were literally walking onto the ship at 10:58 am! I was very impressed with how easy and quick their boarding process was. Debarkation was equally as efficient. 

• Like 5