sticker shock

Wow, it's been some time since we sailed RC.  I just booked a cruise last night and was looking into drink packages and dining packages.  I'm a bit sticker shocked.  I can remember when drink packages were around fifty onboard per person per day...we are at eightyfive now.....and same with classic packages.....those used to be around eighteen and now thirtythree!  I guess I didn't realize that now when you book a cruise you need to add almost 2K for drinks (family of 5)....I realize there are free options but I'm just a bit shocked right now.  Thank goodness my cabins were booked with a refundable deposit.  

• Like 2

Totally get that it doesn't have to be purchased and inflation....etc.  I'm just shocked. From what I'm hearing drinks are around $14 each so then there's that.  I just wasn't expecting such an expensive add on.  

Edited by ginger123snaps

3 hours ago, ginger123snaps said:

Totally get that it doesn't have to be purchased and inflation....etc.  I'm just shocked. From what I'm hearing drinks are around $14 each so then there's that.  I just wasn't expecting such an expensive add on.  

The higher drink prices are designed to encourage people to buy the drink packages.  The more people buy the drink packages, the higher they will be priced.

• Like 5

shopping royal for pricing is impossible until you book. every week on every ship could have a different drink price. and sales arent always sales. you need a spreadsheet and to research online to get a general idea what prices have been on your ship. and hope it's that way when you book. 

im thankful between the suite lounge and OBC i never needed a booze package

My wife and I never buy the drink package. Like most items we could never drink enough to break even.

Do enjoy the 3 night Dining Package $ 112.99 plus tip. Feel that it is well worth our money.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ginger123snaps said:

Wow, it's been some time since we sailed RC.  I just booked a cruise last night and was looking into drink packages and dining packages.  I'm a bit sticker shocked.  I can remember when drink packages were around fifty onboard per person per day...we are at eightyfive now.....and same with classic packages.....those used to be around eighteen and now thirtythree!  I guess I didn't realize that now when you book a cruise you need to add almost 2K for drinks (family of 5)....I realize there are free options but I'm just a bit shocked right now.  Thank goodness my cabins were booked with a refundable deposit.  

You probably should not look at Cococay cabana prices 🙂

• Haha 15

Price is shocking.  I'd been thinking of getting the refreshment package for myself and/or daughter.  $34/day or $170/trip.   

But, I can't blame Royal if people pay the money.   I even understand people buying it just because "I'm on vacation."   But, it isn't for me.  

The price for the alcohol package is more than the bottom line price for our cruise.  

• Like 3

one of these days I will be brave enough to forego the DBP. Not sure when that will be.

I have coffee first thing. Sometimes 2 cups. A bloody mary at some point in AM. More drinks than I care to acknowledge. Black coffee + espresso early afternoon. Wine with dinner. Then additional drinks.

My wife on the other hand will drink softdrinks during day and with lunch. She will have 4 to 6 alcoholic drinks, maybe.

And yes, the DBP for both of us can and does exceed the fare but it's a cost of doing business.  When we go back to Alaska I will consider not getting it as we will be so active. Caribbean itineraries idk.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

ever notice vices are more expensive than healthy things. i dont know the price of juice smoothies on board but i'm betting less than 14 per

they are smart to jack up the booze price. id put it higher if i was boss. theres no price people wont pay.

same with the 2000 dollar cococay overwater cabanas! 

• Like 3

It almost feels like a movie theater where the theater makes the bulk of its profits from concessions.  Its why you see popcorn at 10 bucks a pop for a small bag.  You can buy an 8 pound thing of Orville Redenbacher's for 13 bucks.  I use 1/2 a cup of that for a big bowel of popcorn.  It lasts me like over a year.

As we've seen with these posts.  Alcohol is almost a necessity for many.  Royal is trying to squeeze as much money as possible from that.  You either pay the high price per drink, or pay the high price of the package.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, simon.hed said:

one of these days I will be brave enough to forego the DBP. Not sure when that will be.

There's a lot more to the DBP than just the booze and we use it all. We bought on our last cruise at $64 ppd and it was still a good value but we're close to forgoing it if it goes much higher.

• Like 3

I've been cruising for many years now.  It's really is hard to see what is happening.  Cruising used to be an easy...all inclusive type vacay.  Things have really changed....coffee card, soda package, classic drinks, premium drinks, specialty restaurants.  I'm just glad I booked a refundable deposit.  We have two rooms (family of five).  I have 3 teens.  By the time I add the drink packages for all of us, it's almost an extra two thousand dollars.  Now you add on specialty restaurants, gratuities, any other activities onboard that cost extra (still need to research what all they charge extra for)....wow!  

• Like 2

The cruises I have booked are currently showing the DBP run from $70.99 to $87.99.  Luckily I also am Diamond and do just fine with my vouchers (thank you Royal).  Since every adult can bring a bottle of wine on board, this is another perk if you are a wine drinker as we are, so that helps as well.

@luckyinpa, just an fyi, my cruise to Coco Cay has the over water cabanas for $3,899.00 base price currently.  Way out of my price range, I would rather cruise 2 or 3 more times and use the free loungers and wander around which I like to do anyway.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, ginger123snaps said:

Can't believe those cabana prices...it's absurd.  The drink pkg is showing eighty-five per person for us.  I'm just soooo happy right now that we booked a refundable fare.  

You're gonna cancel just because you can't drink unlimited alcohol?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm going to cancel because the price of all the extras is adding up to be thousands more then what I expected.  The drink pkg and internet alone adds almost $3K for us.  We still have gratuities and specialty restaurants...whatever else they charge for and then you have excursions.  So YES...I'm going to cancel!  

Edited by ginger123snaps
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1