Emergency dental treatment option onboard?

Fly and Sail

I was wondering today if ships (especially those of Celebrity) have the ability to provide emergency dental treatment on board or if any such case would be treated with painkillers and referred to a dentist in the next port?

Never visited the medical bay on the ship, so no idea what kind of equipment they feature there and if there is even a dentist onboard. Considering we're talking about several thousand passengers plus crew, I can just imagine dental issues are a daily occurrence. After all, that's the population size of a small town.

My husband once lost a crown on a Celebrity cruise. He was in some pain, but he didn't have swelling or a fever. There wasn't a dentist onboard but he could have gotten a pain killer from medical, instead he decided to use the Tylenol we carried with us. At the next port, I spend most of my day hunting down a drugstore that carried the temporary glue for a crown.

• Like 1

I always carry Fixadent in case of losing a crown. A friend had to leave a cruise and fly home from St.Martin several years ago because her husband cracked a tooth biting down on an olive that he thought was pitted.....but was not. Travel insurance is your friend. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, 39august said:

I always carry Fixadent in case of losing a crown. A friend had to leave a cruise and fly home from St.Martin several years ago because her husband cracked a tooth biting down on an olive that he thought was pitted.....but was not. Travel insurance is your friend. 

That must have been serious and painful. Flying home because of a cracked tooth isn't an easy or cheap task.

When my husband had a tooth break a few years ago, they couldn’t really do anything.  We didn’t want to do an island dentist.  

We found a pharmacy and bought a OTC filling/repair kit.  I packed the tooth every night with the temp filling material.  It is mostly zinc oxide.  We didn’t have any mouthwash, so used vodka (had a premium drink package) to rinse and kill bacteria.  

We then had our regular dentist handle at home.

We carry an OTC filling kit everywhere when traveling now.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We were in New Zealand when my husband's back tooth caused so much pain that we considered flying back to Texas.   We contacted the ship medical but were told they could not help.   BUT - The shore information center in Wellington, heard our story and one of the agents called HIS dentist and arranged for an uber to take us to his dentist's office.  They did a root canal and a temporary fill with antibiotics and we were able to complete the cruise.  The total charge from the Wellington dentist was only $350 - which our cruise insurance paid.   We have forever been faithful to get trip insurance with every cruise.   So thankful for the shore agent.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

Interesting recount of issues some of you had. I'm surprised these big ships don't have a remedy for dental emergencies. So every time someone from the crew or a guest has a dental problem, they have to deal with it in port?

Yes.  When I lived in Sitka AK there were often 3 ships a day.  Probably 2 medical evacs a day and one deceased a week.  Only a couple of dental issues a summer.

Most dental issues can be dealt with during a port call.

In some two years of cruising have had multiple helicopter evacs, alternate ports for medical, and lots of ambulances meeting our ship; but only heard of one dental issue that required passenger to disembark.

• Like 1

My husband had a very painful abscessed tooth onboard last August. The doctor gave him antibiotics. That cleared it up for the rest of the cruise. It cost $200 which our trip insurance covered.

They bring on a dentist from time to time for crew appointments.  I have sailed twice with a dentist on-board and they worked the heck out of them.  Unlikely to have a dentist sailing regularly, you might be lucky and find one that could respond to emergencies.  

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 4:10 PM, mrgabriel said:

My husband once lost a crown on a Celebrity cruise. He was in some pain, but he didn't have swelling or a fever. There wasn't a dentist onboard but he could have gotten a pain killer from medical, instead he decided to use the Tylenol we carried with us. At the next port, I spend most of my day hunting down a drugstore that carried the temporary glue for a crown.

I had a temporary crown come loose right before a cruise. Luckily, I got it fixed at home, and they gave me glue and supplies to take care of it in case it came loose on the cruise. I was glad it didn't though. Glad your husband wasn't too bad off during your trip.

10 hours ago, Searanger said:

They bring on a dentist from time to time for crew appointments.  I have sailed twice with a dentist on-board and they worked the heck out of them.  Unlikely to have a dentist sailing regularly, you might be lucky and find one that could respond to emergencies.  

While I was in the med center on a RC ship recently, four separate crew members, some with shirts from a different cruiseline, walked in and asked about a dentist.  All were asked to return at 4pm or 4:30. So there must have been a dentist coming aboard for that purpose.

On 3/29/2023 at 10:33 PM, TXranchgal said:

We were in New Zealand when my husband's back tooth caused so much pain that we considered flying back to Texas.   We contacted the ship medical but were told they could not help.   BUT - The shore information center in Wellington, heard our story and one of the agents called HIS dentist and arranged for an uber to take us to his dentist's office.  They did a root canal and a temporary fill with antibiotics and we were able to complete the cruise.  The total charge from the Wellington dentist was only $350 - which our cruise insurance paid.   We have forever been faithful to get trip insurance with every cruise.   So thankful for the shore agent.

Wow!  It's nice hearing about great folks like the Wellington dentist!

• Like 2

On 3/29/2023 at 7:23 PM, Northern Aurora said:

After reading several accounts of crown issues through the years we also now travel with a OVC kit too.  Until reading about them on CC I had no idea they existed.  Amazing what you learn on this community.

What is OVC?

On 3/29/2023 at 10:33 PM, TXranchgal said:

Well I have JUST paid over $2000 CAD  for sore tooth visit/broken tooth visit/emergency visit/emerg visit to edontist for emergency root canal…… Ahead this month….more big $$$….Long appointment, grinding the tooth for a crown and then the appointment for the crown placement. Imagine all the money on one tooth aargh.

Everyone should travel with repair kits for filings out or crowns off! If a crown is off and you don’t have a repair kit, you can actually use toothpaste to put the crown back on! It’s tricky putting crowns on and be careful not to swallow it😀

45 minutes ago, elliekate said:

Everyone should travel with repair kits for filings out or crowns off! If a crown is off and you don’t have a repair kit, you can actually use toothpaste to put the crown back on! It’s tricky putting crowns on and be careful not to swallow it😀

I have never traveled with one of these repair kits, but will be getting one before out next cruise.

I had a crown fall out while we were on our last cruise. It was toward the back of my mouth so not at all visible and there wasn't any pain. I wrapped it in a tissue and my dentist was able to take care of it when we got home. 

I read this thread and decided that I needed a repair kit.   I was at the dentist and asked him and he said "Oh, we can give you something for free".   WHOA!   The reason I asked is because I was a wee bit concerned about what these drug store kits contained and whether the dentist might have trouble getting it off to fix it or it may not be good for your teeth etc.   This may also be the reason why he just gives you something, just in case.  🙂  I like free.   I feel no guilt...he gets plenty of my money for my mouth of dental work.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 5:10 PM, mrgabriel said:

Not sure why but Advil seems to work on tooth pain.  I've used it after an implant and it worked like a charm.

10 hours ago, elliekate said:

Excellent idea. 

Anyone have recommendations for a good over the counter kit?