cruise to canada

hencar

I would chose Boston (I have only done 1  Canada cruise, and it left Boston).So much to see before cruise, and easier to navigate than NY.  Although sailing by State Of Liberty is pretty awesome too.

• Like 1

It all depends on where you live, and what cruises and cruise lines you are considering.

I would consider _both_ options to be local [no need for air travel or hotel stay] but for us the tie breaker is the NYC 'Brooklyn Cruise Terminal' has no toll roads or bridges between our house and the port.

We might also consider a 'non local' option - taking the train to Montreal or Quebec City then doing a one way sailing ending in either Boston or NYC

Edited by TheOldBear
additional info
  • Like 1

I've done both Boston and Cape Liberty.   I would probably choose NYC or Cape Liberty only because it would be easier for me to fly into the area.  

I actually think the focus should be on either embarking or disembarking in Quebec City.  One of those not to be missed places, IMO.

i live in north carolina.so we would fly to Boston or New York.I am  not sure which cruise line would be best. going in 2024.Carnival has their new Venezia ship going out of new york to canada. Royal Carribean on Grandeur of the seas from Boston.Norweign And Princess also have cruises to canada.

10 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Either one will be fine, do your research and pick what suits you. 

The important thing is to spend a couple of days in Quebec City, the place is quite wonderful.  

Seconded - one of our best was a HAL sailing fro Quebec to New York (about an hour from home).  Quebec is worth several days - and don’t stay near the airport or in the modern city- go for something inside the walls of the old city.

Lots of good advice above.

On our only NE/Canada cruise to date (which was fabulous), we sailed out of Bayonne on the Celebrity Summit.  Had one day at sea, then our first port was Boston.  Since then, Celebrity has started those cruises out of Boston, which means a port the very next day. I was very happy to have had a sea day after we embarked.  It's not a big deal, but the early part of the itinerary is also something to consider. 

Also, sailing out of NY Harbor (even from Bayonne) is just much more spectacular than sailing out of Boston.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Quebec is worth several days -

Definitely Agree...

We did three days on board QM2. What a beautiful site each morning seeing Quebec out our window and site each evening out our cabin on the Balcony.

On 4/8/2023 at 8:32 AM, 1025cruise said:

I would choose Boston, simply because I can be there in under an hour.

Same here.

Oh, wait.  Long Beach is now my answer.  I guess I'm going to Vancouver instead of Nova Scotia now.

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2023 at 7:11 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Seconded - one of our best was a HAL sailing fro Quebec to New York (about an hour from home).  Quebec is worth several days - and don’t stay near the airport or in the modern city- go for something inside the walls of the old city.

Yeah, like leChateau Frontenac.  We taxi'd over from our hotel to do a little sightseeing ... walking on that huge promenade.  Wind was really howling.  We lasted about 6 minutes then veered to the Frontenac for a wonderful $150 lunch.  No regrets.  If I lived an hour from Quebec I'd be there every month!