What do people do on sail away day from Southampton

Durie1989

Hi we are due to depart on Iona in 2 weeks and very excited. This is only our 2nd cruise the first one was nearly 6yrs ago so I would think a lot has changed since then. What do people get up to on board for the first day on board ? 
According to weather report for Southampton in 2 weeks it’s going to be hot and sunny so I would imagine people will make most of pools and hot tubs ? 

Lots of choices:

Buffet lunch

Pools, hot tubs

choice of bars

explore the ship

download and work out how to use the "app" for booking stuff

unpack

watch the luggage and stores being loaded (can be of interest...)

watch the world go by as you chug along to the open sea - Netley, Calshot Spit, Spinnaker Tower, the Bramble Bank, Cowes, Osborne House, Spinnaker Tower, the forts, Nab Tower (you might see the pilot get off), next stop your first port! 

• Like 7

Have lunch then onto room to unpack and make appointments, go for a quick drink then back to room for shower and dress for dinner early so we can watch the sail out at the crows nest until it’s time for dinner then straight to show afterwards then bed 😁

• Like 2

We normally have late boarding, so go straight up to the cabin, stopping these days at our muster station on the way. Chill out on the balcony then go for a coffee. Cases will normally have arrived by the time we return to the cabin so we then unpack. Relax on the balcony as we sail away. Evening meal in the buffet then a show. Crash out! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Lots of choices:

Buffet lunch

Pools, hot tubs

choice of bars

explore the ship

download and work out how to use the "app" for booking stuff

unpack

watch the luggage and stores being loaded (can be of interest...)

watch the world go by as you chug along to the open sea - Netley, Calshot Spit, Spinnaker Tower, the Bramble Bank, Cowes, Osborne House, Spinnaker Tower, the forts, Nab Tower (you might see the pilot get off), next stop your first port! 

Even after so many cruises out of Southampton I never tire of looking for the sites as we sail down the Solent. 
This year we have an aft cabin so will be able to see the best of both sides.

• Like 11

We go to the top of the ship, walk around the open decks then walk down to the inside decks with stuff gping on, back to cabin to unpack, rest, drinks, dinner, maybe another drink, bed! May be a show if we are up to it.

• Like 1

I love the feeling as you enter the ship for the first time after the build up, the checking in and security procedure. We then go to the cabin to see if we can drop our hand luggage, then up to the buffet for a bite to eat and maybe a drink, explore the ship (especially if it’s our first time on a ship), then back to the cabin hoping that  the suitcases have arrived so that we can unpack ( don’t really feel settled in until suitcases arrive and unpacked), then relax and look forward to the first evening onboard.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Durie1989 said:

This is only our 2nd cruise the first one was nearly 6yrs ago so I would think a lot has changed since then. What do people get up to on board for the first day on board ? 

I suppose things will have changed from your last cruise. We used to get onboard unpack,

visit the buffet and towards that evening take our time deciding what where and when for our 

meal and entertainment .No rush no hassle ,everything at a leisurely pace , taking things as they come.

Now I suppose I will be seeing people franticly trying to log in on the app , hoping to snag just about everything they can lay there hands on. Others bemoaning the fact there all fully booked .

We will find it odd walking by venues that are fully booked but lucky to be half full, as those who double  book things forget to release that booking.

Never mind we always tend  to find something even if it's a nice meal for two on our balcony as we glide our way down the Solent 🙂 (Very romantic if its not freezing or raining 😉)

The only thing we plan is having a good time !

Take things as they come and you will have a great cruise ! 

• Like 5

Book your restaurants 14 days before on your account go to dining or you may have delays getting tables on board. Dont get to the port more than 15 mins before boarding time or they may make you queue. Book the limelight club and 710 venuse either in the boarding queue using your boarding pass numbers or as soon as you get on board and in your cabin. You will need to download the App if you have not done this already and always select remember me when logging in or you have to go through the logging in each time you open the app. You normally get a card in your room for a free glass of fizz for the sailaway but we used ours for a sailaway later in the cruise. 

Be proactive get meals and trips and shows  organised and then you can relax. You can book the shows 15 days before departure and the 8.30 show is the most popular. If you cannot do a walk in to a show then the later 10.30 show is usually easier to get in.

Have a great time.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Technoman2 said:

Book your restaurants 14 days before on your account go to dining or you may have delays getting tables on board. Dont get to the port more than 15 mins before boarding time or they may make you queue. Book the limelight club and 710 venuse either in the boarding queue using your boarding pass numbers or as soon as you get on board and in your cabin. You will need to download the App if you have not done this already and always select remember me when logging in or you have to go through the logging in each time you open the app. You normally get a card in your room for a free glass of fizz for the sailaway but we used ours for a sailaway later in the cruise. 

Be proactive get meals and trips and shows  organised and then you can relax. You can book the shows 15 days before departure and the 8.30 show is the most popular. If you cannot do a walk in to a show then the later 10.30 show is usually easier to get in.

Have a great time.

That only applies on certain ships.  You can't do it on Azura or Ventura.

9 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

That only applies on certain ships.  You can't do it on Azura or Ventura.

We can't on Britannia for this coming Friday. 😞

Anyway, back to topic. We get on, jump up and down and squeal a lot (me) skip to our cabin (me), then go off to potter around. Used to do muster drill but who knows now. Then straight up to the top decks for the free bubbly (and more cocktails) as we sail away. Even stood out in the rain before now 😉

Love the feeling of getting back to our cabin and seeing it 'at sea' for the first time !

Usually book a speciality restaurant first night to avoid the mayhem in the freedom dining areas so I suppose this is our first port of call this year to book something.

Unpack, have a nice meal, chill out in the atrium and then back to the cabin.

(We are taking our own chocolates and I'm going to do the turn down stuff myself so the cabin is nice to return to. Making the most of it all and will not be beaten by cuts !!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 )

• Like 4

It’s lovely reading all your responses and it’s give me lots of things to think on. 
We are arriving by coach so hoping to board by 3pm. We did book a couple of restaurants in advance , Limelight on celebration night and Epicurean for another night. I like the thought of getting unpacked, quick lunch, a little dip in the pool with a couple of cocktails then back to cabin to get ready for dinner with pre drinks in the crows nest. Think we are going to have a look on the app to see what MDR is available for the evening. Can’t wait, only 10 days to go 😃

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Immediately on board - book 710 club !!!!

Then eat and get to know the ship

So much to explore for first timers

Book Headliners for 8.30pm

I mulit-tasked: booked 710 Club whilst eating! 🤣😇

• Like 2

On our last cruise in March Ventura didn't set sail until 11.30 pm so I'm not sure whether the sail aways are like they were back in 2018. I presume the brass band still plays on the quay, but I believe due to environmental issues streamers are no longer used. I would also imagine that waiters with champagne still wander about, at a charge of course. 

47 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

On our last cruise in March Ventura didn't set sail until 11.30 pm so I'm not sure whether the sail aways are like they were back in 2018. I presume the brass band still plays on the quay, but I believe due to environmental issues streamers are no longer used. I would also imagine that waiters with champagne still wander about, at a charge of course. 

Never seen a brass band send off from Southampton in the last 10 years.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Durie1989 said:

We are arriving by coach so hoping to board by 3pm.
I like the thought of getting unpacked, quick lunch,

There probably won't be much open at 3 pm for lunch. You might have to go for pizza or burger on deck depending on which ship you are going on. Maybe the two new ones might have places open. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 5:34 PM, Presto2 said:

Then straight up to the top decks for the free bubbly (and more cocktails) as we sail away. Even stood out in the rain before now 😉

What are you talking about, Free bubbly? do you mean via your loyalty benefit coupon or have I been missing something?

• Like 1