The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday May 31st, 2023

richwmn

Today is National Macaroon Day, Save Your Hearing Day, and World No Tobacco Day

Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it. Sai Baba

Meal Suggestion for today - Classic Falafel
Drink of the Day - Bourbon Cider Sour
Wine of the Day - Cloudy Bay Chardonnay, Marlborough, New Zealand
Destination of the Day - Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands

Today in History:
1578 Martin Frobisher sails from Harwich, England, to Frobisher Bay, Canada. Eventually mines fools gold, famously used to pave the streets of London.

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Sitka, Alaska 0800-1600

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2100

Nieuw Statendam

Molde, Norway 10:00 - 18:00

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 1000-2200

Oosterdam

Marseille, France 0800-2000

Rotterdam

Stavanger, Norway 0800-1500

Volendam

Vancouver, Canada a0700

Westerdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska

Zaandam

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island 0800-1600

Zuiderdam

at Sea destination Falmouth, Great Britian eta 6/1

0531Atlantic.thumb.png.1b3b5e7f786aa3d74c62da73a3a0ab2d.png

0531Alaska.thumb.png.b056cb860c64ba59810b40f0b331247a.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 19

Wednesday May 31 care and celebration list

57redbird’s cousin with gioplastoma, prayers for peaceful passing and family comfort

Crabby Patti caring for DF  who is no longer ambulatory

Heartgrove concerned for Sam

NextOne with new afib concerns

St. Louis cruisers with a health scare

Marshhawk with Covid after cruise

Smitty34877 DH’s surgery May 31

Texas Teen overboard and still missing

Wildfire and tornado victims

Too many shooting victims every day

Citizens of Ukraine and the Sudan 

From the rotation:

RMLincoln’s DH’s sensitivity to glaucoma meds

Marshhawk ‘s leg and feet cramps

Marshhawk’s dh with continuing nose issues 

Grapau27 needing hip surgery for arthritis

Celebrations

Tana, celebrating small wellness victories as they

Rafinmd fleshing out September and November cruises

Cruising-along good nephrologist appointment 

Luvteaching’s dh making good progress 

Dailyites pitching in with port information for cruzin terri

Celebrating our great group of people on this thread!

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

4 days for Suslor (eurodam June 3 to 10)

Oceansaway17 (Disney fantasy  to June 3)

DeniseT (n. Amsterdam to June 4)

• Like 21
  • Thanks 15

@JazzyVyou have mail.

I meant to post this last night but never did, exhausted! Belated happy birthday @kazuand a belated happy anniversary @Horizon chaser 1957

we spent all day yesterday at my dad’s cleaning out closets. Thank goodness my niece from Germany is visiting and came along to help clean. She will also come on Thursday and we can finish the kitchen. Oh the joys of being 47 again! She was a godsend yesterday.

i have enjoyed taking care of the lists but with everything going on will be a happy to hand them back to Vanessa. Always ready to fill in for travellers! This is such a great group and you have been so supportive over these last few days with my father dying. Because we have so much work it still really doesn’t seem real even as we pack his clothes and shoes. It will sink in eventually. The nice thing is each of his grandchildren and great grandchildren have asked for certain things as a remembrance. He did love his grandchildren and great grandchildren even if he was grumpy with my sister and me. 

today is a quiet day, returning cable equipment, shopping for groceries. And it is my Wednesday ladies night. Have never needed it more. Pool next door is open and it will be 90f so perfect swimming weather. Shrimp Caesar salad is on our menu tonight.  Have a great day all.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 13

11 minutes ago, superoma said:

Wednesday May 31 care and celebration list

Texas Teen overboard and still missing

Thank you, @superoma.   Update - the teen’s body was recovered yesterday , providing some closure for the family.   So sad. 

It can come off the list, @JazzyV.  Thank you. 

Edited by ocean sounds
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 9

Thank you Rich, Eva/Vanessa, Debbie/Tina, Ann, and Dixie.  Hearing is important, and mine is so far mostly intact.  I definitely like no tobacco day but not really a fan of macaroons; nice but not among my favorite cookies.  Way back in 1991 I changed planes at the town originally named for Frobisher (originally Frobisher Bay, Iqaluit Northwest Territories in 1991 and now Iqaluit, Nunavut today).   I love the Sai Baba quote.  I've been to Tenerife twice, Celebrity Solstice in 2012 and the final segment of Amsterdam's 2014 World Cruise.  Tenerife was not on Amsterdam's itinerary but was a substitution after most of the African ports were cancelled due to Ebola.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Iced Melon Bisque, Mixed Gourmet Greens, Chicken and Corn Soup, and Fruit Cup au Natural as served on MS Prinsendam May 31, 2015, an attempt at a light dinner after lunch in the Pinnacle Grill.

Roy

• Like 34

Good morning friends!  We went to bed early but up at our usual early hour to walk outside since the treadmill still needs the belt repair done.  Soon.  Very humid outside and temp of about 64.  Should be cloudy today and 77.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for our Daily and Fleet Report.  And welcome to our newest poster @MrSnuffleupagus!!  Today we have Macaroon Day, Save Your Hearing and World No Tobacco Day.  It would be so nice if everyone could beat their smoking habit.  Not only for their own health but for everyone else's comfort and health as well.  Saving our hearing is a great idea, but at the time you're damaging it, you probably didn't care.  Old age accelerates it!  I'm thankfully not addicted to macaroons because I love enough things that aren't good for me.

I will pass on the falafel, the bourbon cider sour cocktail, and the New Zealand Chardonnay.  Thank you for your reports today Debbie @dfish/Tina @0106, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard !  That is quite the quote today!  And thanks Rich for the interesting day in history.  Fool's gold!  I remember seeing that when I was a kid.

Eva @superoma thanks again for the Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers for all those needing them.  Special prayers for Terry's DH @smitty34877 during his surgery today and hoping for a fast and complete recovery for him.🙏  For Vanessa @JazzyV you can remove me from the list.  I'll be calling my doctor for a little visit to report my episode and see if there is anything that needs looking into.  Thank you all for your support.  For the Celebration people, have a wonderful cruise, or special event!  Cheers to you all!🥂

The port of the day is Santa Cruz de la Tenerife, Canary Island, a lovely port of call.  We had that port here on March 31, 2021 and May 20, 2022 and below are the links to those dates.  Also I will post my photos from then.  Hope you will do the same!

We've been to Santa Cruz de la Tenerife on a Celebrity cruise, a transatlantic from Civitavecchia to Fort Lauderdale in 2014 (our only Celebrity cruise).  The second and third time was on the Prinsendam Grand Africa and Mediterranean voyage in March-May 2018 and a December 2018 Pacific Princess transatlantic.

In 2018, the Prinsendam had a scheduled overnight there so HAL took the opportunity to hire some divers to work on cutting off the fishing nets which were wrapped around a propeller.  Always something exciting happening on a cruise, right?enhance

Actually as seen in this photo that day we had other maintenance going on as well.  Not to mention a fuel barge on the scene.  I sure do miss our home away from home, the Prinsendam.  enhance

It wasn't busy in town yet.enhance

Using the maps HAL gave us we made a point to stop at certain sites like the La Recova Mercado, the local marketplace.  It is just across this bridge.enhance

enhance

Quite a selection of produce.enhance

And yummy baked goods.enhance

And flowers, @kazu!!enhance

From there we walked to a spot where we could see the Auditorio de Tenerife, an arts venue in a wavelike structure.enhance

We went over to a high spot nearby to get some photos of the town.  The architecture was so charming and colorful.enhance

Time to head over to that church.enhance

The name of it is Iglesia de Nuestra Senora de la Concepcion and it was completed around 1502.  Very pretty!enhance

After seeing the church we went to a nearby plaza.  enhance

It's the Plaza Munoz de Bustillo complete with a cool pool of water.enhance

enhance

Great statuary around the edges of the Plaza.enhance

That night we had Spanish Night as our themed dinner and I have to show off our favorite waiter Riris and assistant waiter Ardian.enhance

On our Dec. 2018 Pacific Princess cruise we walked to a tram line and bought tickets to take us to La Laguna just to get a change of scenery.  It was Christmas season so we saw some holiday decorating.  It was a nice diversion but we really think Santa Cruz de la Tenerife has a lot more to offer. enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Watching the pilot leave as off we go to the next port.enhance

Have a great day everyone!  Should be busy for us.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.   We are going to turn the lake pump on again.  Yesterday we were near 90 with 15 mph winds.  It dried everything out.   

Thanks Rich for starting our mornings off each day.   A nice quote that are great words to live by.    Pass on the cocktail and today's meal but the Cloudy Bay Chardonnay will be a nice wine.   

Thanks Eva for keeping our daily cares and celebrations lists for us.  Prayers for all needing them and the people of Ukraine.  

Yesterday we smoked a fully cooked pork picnic and it turned out wonderfully.   That cut has more fat and bone so it smoked well and stayed moist.   Have a great Wednesday.  Nancy 

IMG_20230530_154023617.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

Interesting collection of days - I think of all of them I will celebrate Save your Hearing Day.  Absolutely love today’s quote ♥️ Truly words to live by.  And yay - a white wine 🥂 for today & a New Zealand one (which I’ve had) 👍 

Many thanks to you all for the multitude of wonderful birthday wishes yesterday.  I really appreciated them.

IMG_3663.jpeg.c3eb72e706cfd98b125bcc0017856231.jpeg

Several people gave me donations for Alzheimers in memory of Jose for my birthday.  Best gift ever.  Jose didn’t have Alzheimers but it was the only agency I could find that would help guide me on his care. 

And Ivan & I had a couple of surprise visits from sweet neighbours.  each with little treats.  One knew I wasn’t a big sweet eater so she had her son (a talented baker) make me these:

IMG_1675.thumb.jpeg.6a7373af08bebbfcb5fa6678db198682.jpeg

@superoma thank you so much for taking care of the lists in Vanessa’s absence - especially difficult with all you have been going through.  It was so appreciated.  My heart is with you with everything you have had to deal with and the sad, tiring job ahead along with your loss 🙏🏻 

@JazzyV your trip home was certainly the trip from H.  😔 Hope you got some rest and have recovered a bit today from the ordeal.

@MrSnuffleupagus Welcome to Cruise Critic & to the Daily 🙂 

@Vict0riann I believe today is Pat’s day?  A very happy birthday to him! 🎂 🥂 

IMG_0082.png.baa8e4fb58981ad2d0bbba3615bbf0ef.png

For our American friends south of the border on the East Coast, I fear you are due for some smoke today, again.  the wind is pushing it ashore.  It’s from the Nova Scotia wildfires.  Apologies from the Maritimes.  We need that rain.

@ocean sounds sad news, indeed.  So hard for the parents 💔 

Looks like a beautiful day coming.  Hopefully I get something done today.  I was lazy yesterday although I did get stuff done.  

Ivan was fussy and needed attention - I washed his favourite bear and it was drying on the line and he was not a happy camper about his missing bear even though he still had his others.  LOL - wait until I wash his lamb today 😉 And hey, I got the water turned on for outside!  Another new accomplishment LOL 

IMG_3658.jpeg.6ae4958223d08bfdd95d09e7a1ee62fa.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and cheers 🥂 to those celebrating.

IMG_3637.jpeg.1ecb51f69bcd9eb7fec82362f4944275.jpeg

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 13

Bourbon Cider Sour cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Jim Beam®
3 parts cold Apple Cider
1 1/2 parts Orange Juice
3/4 part Simple Syrup
Apple Slices

Instructions
Combine the bourbon, apple cider, orange juice, and simple syrup. Stir. Serve over ice with an apple slice.

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 7.56.48 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 11

Good morning from a rainy Kansas. I got to see the DGK’s yesterday and share the loot I picked up for them. Molly came home with them and has been by my side ever since. I tripped over her and scared her so she will be more careful. I did unpack and do laundry yesterday but did not grocery shop and I am regretting that decision with the rain. 

I am slowly catching up on the daily and I am sad to see the health challenges people have had and are still going through. Prayers for all. I like todays quote and will pass on the meal. I enjoyed the port pictures and may make it there one day. 

• Like 28

30 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich.

Interesting collection of days - I think of all of them I will celebrate Save your Hearing Day.  Absolutely love today’s quote ♥️ Truly words to live by.  And yay - a white wine 🥂 for today & a New Zealand one (which I’ve had) 👍 

Many thanks to you all for the multitude of wonderful birthday wishes yesterday.  I really appreciated them.

IMG_3663.jpeg.c3eb72e706cfd98b125bcc0017856231.jpeg

Several people gave me donations for Alzheimers in memory of Jose for my birthday.  Best gift ever.  Jose didn’t have Alzheimers but it was the only agency I could find that would help guide me on his care. 

And Ivan & I had a couple of surprise visits from sweet neighbours.  each with little treats.  One knew I wasn’t a big sweet eater so she had her son (a talented baker) make me these:

IMG_1675.thumb.jpeg.6a7373af08bebbfcb5fa6678db198682.jpeg

@superoma thank you so much for taking care of the lists in Vanessa’s absence - especially difficult with all you have been going through.  It was so appreciated.  My heart is with you with everything you have had to deal with and the sad, tiring job ahead along with your loss 🙏🏻 

@JazzyV your trip home was certainly the trip from H.  😔 Hope you got some rest and have recovered a bit today from the ordeal.

@MrSnuffleupagus Welcome to Cruise Critic & to the Daily 🙂 

@Vict0riann I believe today is Pat’s day?  A very happy birthday to him! 🎂 🥂 

IMG_0082.png.baa8e4fb58981ad2d0bbba3615bbf0ef.png

For our American friends south of the border on the East Coast, I fear you are due for some smoke today, again.  the wind is pushing it ashore.  It’s from the Nova Scotia wildfires.  Apologies from the Maritimes.  We need that rain.

@ocean sounds sad news, indeed.  So hard for the parents 💔 

Looks like a beautiful day coming.  Hopefully I get something done today.  I was lazy yesterday although I did get stuff done.  

Ivan was fussy and needed attention - I washed his favourite bear and it was drying on the line and he was not a happy camper about his missing bear even though he still had his others.  LOL - wait until I wash his lamb today 😉 And hey, I got the water turned on for outside!  Another new accomplishment LOL 

IMG_3658.jpeg.6ae4958223d08bfdd95d09e7a1ee62fa.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and cheers 🥂 to those celebrating.

IMG_3637.jpeg.1ecb51f69bcd9eb7fec82362f4944275.jpeg

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!

Jacqui, you have some great neighbors.  Those treats they brought you are absolutely gorgeous.  Are those beautiful roses cupcakes or muffins?

• Like 20

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich!  A bit cloudy this morning, but it may be just a marine layer that will burn off. 

Eva, thank you for taking care of us by tracking our happenings. @smitty34877 Terry, praying that all goes smoothly for DH today & may he have a quick recovery. 
@dfish Debbie, so happy to read that you believe you are 100%. Just be careful. Hope your paint sample project is successful. Who knew there were so many shades of the same color?

A much needed manicure is in store for me this morning. I am so hard on my nails. Then Bindi walks, yard work, and my afternoon HIIT class will round out my day. 

IMG_1347.jpeg.9b33c0e5c497eb8a570d4b270f95e6f1.jpeg

IMG_1351.jpeg.982fdaa498e7ea1cfdcc6146d4bde413.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone!

Cloudy Bay 2019 Chardonnay, Marlborough, New Zealand

I used the 2019 vintage because I found a few distributors who would ship to me - for a price. This sounds interesting, and I would enjoy a taste. A decent number of online distributors, some of whom ship worldwide, with prices starting at $25.99 & shipping. 

Reviewer’s notes

"A subtle, restrained, yet zesty bouquet with aroma s of lemon, rose hip, and green melon with hints of cinnamon, and toasted sourdough barrel influence. Lemon zest flavours persist on the creamy-textured palate. A wine showing some elegance, poise, and balance, juxtaposed by youthful potency." - 93/100New Zealand Wine Rater

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, travelnap said:

Jacqui, you have some great neighbors.  Those treats they brought you are absolutely gorgeous.  Are those beautiful roses cupcakes or muffins?

Yes, I do.  I am very lucky.  Jose and I have lived here for close to 30 years and the close neighbours longer than that.  They are cupcakes.  My neighbour (the other widow) was here with treats and I gifted her two.  I wanted to give her 3 but she refused.  Ivan is going to stay with her when I go away in October.  I just hope I can get him back 😬 

She told me if there was a sold sign on her house, there would be no forwarding address and I’d never find them 😂. She adores him.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

@smitty34877 think of you all today! 
@superoma many thanks for your help with the Care and celebration lists. Good that you had younger help with your tasks. I hope there were some good memories. I hope your ladies group tonight can be a time of comfort. 

I would be interested in the falafel but not DH. With becoming more allergic to wine I’m losing interest, it’s just not worth feeling congested over. DH has some hearing loss, and hearing aids are not terrific so he seldom bothers with them. So far it’s not much of a problem. Haven’t been to the Canary Islands but the pictures of Santa Cruz do show that there is a lot to see there. 

Today I hope we get some guidance from the glaucoma specialist. He’ll bring his new eye pressure tonometer. Most readings have been above her target and a few quite high but they are a bit lower on the re-take so we’re not sure what it all indicates.  I just hope we’re not getting up into the damage zone now that he’s off the double med, only on the single med. The itchiness is much less and he’s been able to cut back the antihistamines. He’ll do a field test today and I expect she’ll take her own pressure readings to compare with what we’re getting. 

Tomorrow I have a doctor appt for myself which wasn’t on my calendar. Oiy, how did I miss that!   They sent a text, good thing!  I was thinking of making an appt soon anyway to line up some screenings I need later this year. 

Blessings to all in need, near and far. Cheers to all celebrating milestones 🎉 Life is Good!  Everyone stay safe!  m—

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be another hot one here in mid-Michigan today.  We are supposed to reach 90F.  I did get a new fan that doesn't screech when on, so that helped cool my bedroom last night.  I'm happy to report that I slept through the night and have no memory of waking up at all.  I'm looking forward to better sleep after this surgery.  

We did pick up the paint samples yesterday, but it was too hot to do anything outdoors.  We'll try to get to them today.  We have some great days to celebrate.  I do like macaroons, although I haven't had any since DS Mary Jo moved back from France.  The wine sounds especially good.  

Many thanks to Tina @0106 for taking over while I was recovering from surgery.  Tina did a stellar job!   I so appreciate her willingness to step up and forward!

Today's meal is a great one for your vegetarian/vegan family members.  I tend to avoid it due to carbs, but if that isn't an issue for you, enjoy!   The recipes today are all about making your own falafel.  They all emphasize that you must start with dry chickpeas.  Canned chickpeas don't work and the falafel will fall apart when frying them if you use canned.   Here's the first one:  https://www.themediterraneandish.com/how-to-make-falafel/

falafel1.thumb.jpg.70a543fa8091feecb86884e87519209e.jpg

That does look good.  It isn't just making the falafel, it is what you do with it once made that makes the meal.  This next recipe has directions for different ways to fry the falafel as well as bake it.  Then, put them in a warm pita with tomatoes and greens and some cucumber sauce and mmmmm.   https://www.acouplecooks.com/classic-falafel/

falafel2.thumb.jpg.4c55931d55e18e955cd59f813d3b6e53.jpg

Or, you can dip them in the cucumber sauce.   That would save calories and carbs.  This next one has directions for the air fryer.  https://www.dimitrasdishes.com/classic-falafel-recipe/

falafel3.thumb.jpg.ac9f741b2822f6b71d49dfcfd1fca4a6.jpg

I hope this gives everyone a few choices.   Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Edited by dfish
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 10

Good Hump Day morning to All!

Never like macaroons but for some stupid reason a couple of years ago, I decided to make them.  They came out wonderful:

image.thumb.jpeg.793c6b806b98ca9a1ce090b41d688729.jpeg

Love falafel as it was introduced to me living in the Middle East.  Great info and thanks!

Thoughts for those on the care list and happy sailing to those on the sea or getting ready to.

@kazu Jacqui - HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!  🙂 

Busy/not so busy day.  Mostly packed - just last minute stuff to do as it will be an early night.  Want to be on the road tomorrow by 0400 so that I get to Abilene, TX at a decent hour.

Have a great day everyone!!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2