Royal Up

Got the email today that we could do a Royal Up bid even though our cruise is not for a couple months!  Put in a slightly higher than minimum bid for a Grand Suite and Junior Suite. Hoping for the best as we wouldn't typically be able to afford a suite (now at $24,000). 😀  I know we may not find out until day of sailing, but I'll definitely be checking my email on a daily basis. Just to confirm you get an email even if your bid is not accepted, correct?

I never did get one on Grandeur.  We sat in the centrum for ages waiting to see, but no joy.  Even pestered the Loyalty Ambassador about it, but still never did.  So we went to our assigned cabin to dress for dinner...boohoo.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jbluebird said:

Got the email today that we could do a Royal Up bid even though our cruise is not for a couple months!  Put in a slightly higher than minimum bid for a Grand Suite and Junior Suite. Hoping for the best as we wouldn't typically be able to afford a suite (now at $24,000). 😀  I know we may not find out until day of sailing, but I'll definitely be checking my email on a daily basis. Just to confirm you get an email even if your bid is not accepted, correct?

Rather than check my email numerous times a day. I have a setting on my cc that will text me when a purchase is made over a certain amount. That notifies hours before royal does. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Yes you get a email but sometimes it's not sent until after you board. Lol. Not much help by then if I dont have wifi. 

Though if you're out of cell tower range by the time you get a decision that'd be pretty annoying.

• Like 1

In the cruise planner, where it says about Royal up, you can check the status of your bid. If the bids are listed as expired, then you know you didn’t win the bid. If it says pending, they are considering the bid and most likely will win your bid, but not always. If it says submitted, they haven’t even looked at it yet. I did this for my July Adventure cruise at about 1 1/2 weeks after I submitted my bid on several categories.  All but one said expired. The one for a spacious OV balcony cabin said pending. By 9 am the next morning, I had a notification from my cc about a charge to RCL. So I checked my email and at 9:10 am I had the email telling me we won the bid.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jbluebird said:

We won our Royal Up on our last cruise for on Owner's Suite, we were on Jewel. I have alerts set up on my credit card so I got a text about the charge as soon as they billed it so  I was one happy camper. It was a fabulous cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tennislvr8 said:

Rather than check my email numerous times a day. I have a setting on my cc that will text me when a purchase is made over a certain amount. That notifies hours before royal does. 

Yep, just posted the same thing, didn't see your post. It is a great thing.

10 hours ago, Weluv2cruise2gether said:

In the cruise planner, where it says about Royal up, you can check the status of your bid. If the bids are listed as expired, then you know you didn’t win the bid. If it says pending, they are considering the bid and most likely will win your bid, but not always. If it says submitted, they haven’t even looked at it yet. I did this for my July Adventure cruise at about 1 1/2 weeks after I submitted my bid on several categories.  All but one said expired. The one for a spacious OV balcony cabin said pending. By 9 am the next morning, I had a notification from my cc about a charge to RCL. So I checked my email and at 9:10 am I had the email telling me we won the bid.

I just submitted them this morning, but one has the option to modify or cancel and the other one just says submitted with no option or modify or cancel.

10 hours ago, cruise1957 said:

We won our Royal Up on our last cruise for on Owner's Suite, we were on Jewel. I have alerts set up on my credit card so I got a text about the charge as soon as they billed it so  I was one happy camper. It was a fabulous cruise.

I'm hoping!  This will be our 6th cruise with Royal since 1984 so maybe that will count for something. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jbluebird said:

I'm hoping!  This will be our 6th cruise with Royal since 1984 so maybe that will count for something. Fingers crossed.

Loyalty status has nothing to do with a royal up decision. 

For Royal Up,  a Pinnacle  cruiser has no advantage over someone on their  first cruise. 

it is all some  computer based matrix

m

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Weluv2cruise2gether said:

Mine said Pending for 2 weeks then it changed to upgrade not available! With the 5 different cruises I have bid on...I've never received a Royal Up upgrade. 

2 hours ago, AspiringCindy said:

Mine said Pending for 2 weeks then it changed to upgrade not available! With the 5 different cruises I have bid on...I've never received a Royal Up upgrade. 

Interesting.  I've never seen "upgrade not available" before.  Must be something new.

21 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Though if you're out of cell tower range by the time you get a decision that'd be pretty annoying.

GS will call your original stateroom and let you know, and send someone up with a note to call them if you don't answer (at least that's what they did when we got one after we had already boarded).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Wouldn’t you know prior to the ship leaving port?  

m

Possibly but my cell phone didnt work well from the new terminal. Idk why. The sorry you didnt win should come before you leave port but often after I board. I dont get the email until I turn on wifi later in the cruise for my free days of wifi. 

I figure if I won, I'd know when I got to my cabin, if not before. 

• Like 1

For the past couple of cruises, I have gotten my rejection email before we get on the ship.  In cruises prior to that, we would get the rejection email after we boarded.  I think they are refining the process somewhat..but who knows....

6 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:
12 hours ago, Jbluebird said:

Loyalty status has nothing to do with a royal up decision

For Royal Up,  a Pinnacle  cruiser has no advantage over someone on their  first cruise. 

it is all some  computer based matrix

m

And if Status did count ... I'm thinkin your 6 cruises in 30 years would be hurting you rather than helping 

Cheers !

• Haha 1

On 6/3/2023 at 2:28 PM, cruise1957 said:

I forgot to ask, how soon after putting in your bid or before going on the cruise did you hear back? I just looked and even though we could bid on a Junior Suite there aren't any currently available.  So I currently have an accepted bid on a Grand Suite.  The Owner's Suite is available on the web site, but that wasn't an option for me to bid on.

12 minutes ago, Jbluebird said:

I forgot to ask, how soon after putting in your bid or before going on the cruise did you hear back? I just looked and even though we could bid on a Junior Suite there aren't any currently available.  So I currently have an accepted bid on a Grand Suite.  The Owner's Suite is available on the web site, but that wasn't an option for me to bid on.

The 3 times I/we won, we found out at different times--as far out as 40 days, as close as a week.  FYI, just because you don't see rooms available, doesn't mean they won't open up. That's part of the point of Royal Up.  If someone in a Jr Suite wins a bid to a higher category, that would open up the Jr. Suite. Or, if someone cancels at the last minute, that would open up a room.  And you could potentially not find out until you're in your room and already unpacking and then have to move.  

Edited by rockmom

33 minutes ago, Jbluebird said:

They charged my credit card on December 20th 2022, the cruise was January 20, 2023, so one month before. Not sure when I put the bid in probably as soon as they sent me the email. which is what anywhere from 45-75 days out.

1 hour ago, musikus1704 said:

I want to bid on a Grand Suite. If we get it will the perks also be included or is it only the room?

Yes...but not the cruise credit points if you're going from a category less than a JS.