How about consideration for Staff?

1Virgo

You can jump all over me. BUT. There have been a number of threads wanting to know if they can take guests into Blu or Retreat/Luminae that don’t  belong there as they did not book that class   

For those that book either Aqua for everyone but one or 2, or 1 couple books Luminae and others balcony say, then expect they can bring people in as guests, want those people to have the amenities of a certain class without being in that designation and HAVING paid at time of booking, have you ever thought of how uncomfortable/unpleasant/stressful it is for staff to deal with this?  Or in daily newsletter and posted….the dress code. Yet people want to challenge that.  Baseball caps, shorts etc, t shirts sleeveless..  long pants at dinner

We have seen so many forget their manners and be verbally abusive to staff because they want a rule bent to accommodate them. .   *****   There are rules for a reason.  Staff take the brunt.  We feel very sorry for so many staff that have been berated.    In a previous thread I posted about witnessing 2 incidents at Blu at 1 at Luminae in the last year.  The passengers were nasty.  We spoke to the Maitre D s after and said if there was a complaint against them, we would be the staff advocate 

Obey the rules!   .  Learn them!  . Respect them!   AND,  the staff trying to enforce them.   And stop trying to pull fast ones.  Shame on you. Not fooling anyone     Staff have a lot to do trying to make everyone  have a good holiday

My rant.  

• Like 39
  • Thanks 5

Guest 4-2-N-8
19 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

You can jump all over me. BUT. There have been a number of threads wanting to know if they can take guests into Blu or Retreat/Luminae that don’t  belong there as they did not book that class   

For those that book either Aqua for everyone but one or 2, or 1 couple books Luminae and others balcony say, then expect they can bring people in as guests, want those people to have the amenities of a certain class without being in that designation and HAVING paid at time of booking, have you ever thought of how uncomfortable/unpleasant/stressful it is for staff to deal with this?  Or in daily newsletter and posted….the dress code. Yet people want to challenge that.  Baseball caps, shorts etc, t shirts sleeveless..  long pants at dinner

We have seen so many forget their manners and be verbally abusive to staff because they want a rule bent to accommodate them. .   *****   There are rules for a reason.  Staff take the brunt.  We feel very sorry for so many staff that have been berated.    In a previous thread I posted about witnessing 2 incidents at Blu at 1 at Luminae in the last year.  The passengers were nasty.  We spoke to the Maitre D s after and said if there was a complaint against them, we would be the staff advocate 

Obey the rules!   .  Learn them!  . Respect them!   AND,  the staff trying to enforce them.   And stop trying to pull fast ones.  Shame on you. Not fooling anyone     Staff have a lot to do trying to make everyone  have a good holiday

My rant.  

Concur 100%.

The sense of rude and disrespectful entitlement and behavior can cut across socioeconomic strata, but there sure are certain common denominators of this population subset.

Chiding or vilifying those who serve is just downright selfish and mean.

Edited by 4-2-N-8

On one of our cruises in Aqua class there was a passenger in Blu who was absolutely obnoxious and abusive to the wait staff.  He ran them ragged, constantly complaining. They bent over backwards to accommodate him with smiles on their faces to no avail. Many other diners asked not to be seated near him because of his constant complaining and obnoxious behavior. Even his wife rarely showed up in Blu to dine with him. DH and I went to the Hotel Manager to express to him what was going on because we were sure he would give the servers negative reviews and we wanted him to be aware that the staff was going above and beyond but that this passenger couldn't have been satisfied by anything or anyone. He thanked us and unexpectedly sent a lovely bottle of wine to our cabin with his thanks for making him aware.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

On one of our cruises in Aqua class there was a passenger in Blu who was absolutely obnoxious and abusive to the wait staff.  He ran them ragged, constantly complaining. They bent over backwards to accommodate him with smiles on their faces to no avail. Many other diners asked not to be seated near him because of his constant complaining and obnoxious behavior. Even his wife rarely showed up in Blu to dine with him. DH and I went to the Hotel Manager to express to him what was going on because we were sure he would give the servers negative reviews and we wanted him to be aware that the staff was going above and beyond but that this passenger couldn't have been satisfied by anything or anyone. He thanked us and unexpectedly sent a lovely bottle of wine to our cabin with his thanks for making him aware.  

We also reported to the Hotel Manager when we saw the Retreat/Michael’s concierge getting grief from a guest who wanted to bring his full extended family into the Retreat…

In all fairness, we haven’t seen many rude guests on Celebrity. RC was another matter, particularly in the suite and Diamond Lounges. I can clearly remember a dreadful man in the suite lounge clicking his fingers at the wonderful waiter yelling “Boy, Boy, get me a Bourbon!” I can also remember a loud unpleasant woman in my face in the Diamond lounge saying “You shouldn’t be in here, you are from England so you can’t be Diamond”….As the concierge came over to apologise to me (not her fault!) I enjoyed politely telling the lady I was actually Diamond plus…This was our next to last cruise on RC the next one was a bit better but we still found the Suite lounge had a few ‘entitled’ guests in it. We also found on RC that some guests did introduce themselves as “We are x and y from z, we are Diamond and in an owners suite”…Greeting conversations on Celebrity are never like that..

• Like 8

7 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

My rant.  

Agree 100%. We have intervened when a passenger was giving a Server in Al Bacio so much grief that the girl was reduced to tears and walked out. We were later given a thank you present by the Hotel Director who had met the Server just as she was passing the Retreat Lounge. The Server was unwilling to pursue a complaint against the Guest (it was all caught on camera) but had mentioned our intervention (we knew her from a previous cruise). 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

My rant.  

Good for you for posting this--- It's the BEST post in a long time and well overdue !!

Lots of the crap recently on CC----" Is there children's books in the library " , or, " The size of the lobster tails", or, " Anyone know the personal email/phone number of  etc.etc !! ( If I knew it, would you expect me to post it on a site like this ) ????

Bonne journee--- Have a nice day .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Agree totally about respecting staff.

But  just wanted to point out that you can bring guests into Luminae within the rules.  You clear it with the Maître 'D and you pay an extra charge for them.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Since this post feels somewhat directed at me given that I posted what I had seen UNCHALLENGED AS INCORRECT before I posted it yesterday (that solo guests paying double occupancy rates in Aqua are allowed to bring one guest), I went looking.

And look what I found on Celebrity's site regarding amenities for Aqua:

"Exclusive and complimentary access to Blu Specialty restaurant
Guests who are traveling solo and booked in AquaClass paying a double occupancy rate will be allowed to bring one guest from any non-AquaClass /non-Suite stateroom category when dining in Blu Restaurant at no additional charge (based on availability)."

It's really a moot point for me as I don't cruise to make new friends but to get away and relax, but. It's right there on Celebrity's website.

Incidentally, having a sister who works on another cruise line, you will be hard-pressed to find someone more courteous to staff than I am.

• Like 4

I have seen all types of guests, from my years working in the hospitality industry.  I had a guest jump over the desk and try to attack me, security was nearby so they grabbed him first.  I got a call from the company he worked for and telling me he was no longer employed the next day.  I have seen very inconsiderate guests on cruises, I tend to watch interactions between staff and guests.  Celebrity staff put up with a lot, from everything to inappropriate comments, to being berated for trivial things, ie coffee to hot, and are able to keep smiling.  I have seen guests try to bully yell at other guests when standing in line at Al Bacio because someone is taking to long to order.  This happened once to me, and I just smiled (laughed tbh)  at the guy and took my time.    Seen entitled guests try to cut in line at guest services because "they paid more for the cruise"   It takes all types on cruises.  Me personally I go on longer cruises prefer 10+ B2B does not count, usually alleviates some of the guest issues since more than likely you get guests who have done more travel tbh.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Since this post feels somewhat directed at me given that I posted what I had seen UNCHALLENGED AS INCORRECT before I posted it yesterday (that solo guests paying double occupancy rates in Aqua are allowed to bring one guest), I went looking.

And look what I found on Celebrity's site regarding amenities for Aqua:

"Exclusive and complimentary access to Blu Specialty restaurant
Guests who are traveling solo and booked in AquaClass paying a double occupancy rate will be allowed to bring one guest from any non-AquaClass /non-Suite stateroom category when dining in Blu Restaurant at no additional charge (based on availability)."

It's really a moot point for me as I don't cruise to make new friends but to get away and relax, but. It's right there on Celebrity's website.

Incidentally, having a sister who works on another cruise line, you will be hard-pressed to find someone more courteous to staff than I am.

That has been in placed for a number of years and quite different than an Aqua guest (s) wanting to bring 2 or more guests.  

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, jelayne said:

That has been in placed for a number of years and quite different than an Aqua guest (s) wanting to bring 2 or more guests.  

I agree there is a difference. But yesterday I was told in no uncertain terms by the OP that that (a solo guest paying at double occupancy rates can bring one person based on availability) was NOT the policy and I was incorrect (and then someone else said the very helpful "you can't believe everything you read on here")

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Is there children's books in the library

What's wrong with this question?  Perfectly reasonable, IMO.

3 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Anyone know the personal email/phone number

And I haven't seen anybody ask for personal e-mails of anyone.  I've seen someone ask about the best e-mail to use to send communication to Celebrity executives...again, I ask, what's wrong with that question?

And how do these questions translate into a lack of consideration for the staff on board ship?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I agree there is a difference. But yesterday I was told in no uncertain terms by the OP that that (a solo guest paying at double occupancy rates can bring one person based on availability) was NOT the policy and I was incorrect (and then someone else said the very helpful "you can't believe everything you read on here")

This particular scenario is EXACTLY what transpired on our last cruise  and the manager of the Blu said No!  He further said in all of his years working as a Maitre D at the Blu,  has this been allowed.   Aqua guests only.     

Just telling it like it happened.  

2 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

This particular scenario is EXACTLY what transpired on our last cruise  and the manager of the Blu said No!  He further said in all of his years working as a Maitre D at the Blu,  has this been allowed.   Aqua guests only.     

Just telling it like it happened.  

Well, it's quite contrary to what Celebrity states in their amenities list.

3 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

This particular scenario is EXACTLY what transpired on our last cruise  and the manager of the Blu said No!

Maybe the manager of Blu was unaware of Celebrity's fine print posted by @WrittenOnYourHeart.  I have come across a few instances, mostly via phone conversation with Celebrity reps, who were not aware of Celebrity's own printed policy.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Well, it's quite contrary to what Celebrity states in their amenities list.

X's get out is the all important note at the end i.e. "based on availability" and only the Maitre D has access to those figures. The moral of this story is to have the facts and a print out of said facts before you board and not to go in "all guns blazing". 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If I were paying for 2 and being alone in a room, then I should have the option to bring in a guest.  However, if I am paying for one, I should not expect my non-Aqua guest to be accommodated.  

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, keesar said:

If I were paying for 2 and being alone in a room, then I should have the option to bring in a guest.  However, if I am paying for one, I should not expect my non-Aqua guest to be accommodated.  

This exactly! It's possible that the woman in the above scenario had taken advantage of a 0-solo supplement deal and her account was marked as such. 

As I said above, I have no intentions of seeking out another solo to take to Blu - that's not why I cruise. BUT in the unlikely event I meet one, as I'm NOT booked under a 0-solo supplement deal (meaning I'm paying double - including double for the drinks package, wifi, and grats), I expect to be allowed to based on Celebrity's own website.

• Like 6

My sister is currently on apex on there first celebrity cruise there in a sky suite and planning on trying to bring some guest on some of there meals , I see nothing wrong, other than I don’t think Luminae food is worth paying extra for . 

I’ve worked in various low paying service jobs so I try to treat the staff well.

I saw this up close.  Some one next to us made several demanding requests for food and drink from another restaurant. MDR or Blu I don’t recall.  Then he would only consume a little.  He explained that it was a comfort thing to him and he tipped the staff.

I have been in Aqua.  And will be again in December with friends also in Aqua.  I never thought we should be allowed go grab some random and invite them in.

Luminae is the same.  We sailed once and have booked the Retreat again in the future.  I wrote a letter to the CEO complaining that they let ME in.  😂

Celebrity did their job.  They created an environment where people try the product and are curious about the next step up.  By maintaining standards and their policies they create a positive experience for their guests.  Frankly I don’t want to pay the premium for Aqua or Retreat just to see someone bringing in their cousins and grandparents.

I do feel bad asking for that champagne and getting the sommelier in trouble, as he said.  But we tipped him well.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, George C said:

My sister is currently on apex on there first celebrity cruise there in a sky suite and planning on trying to bring some guest on some of there meals , I see nothing wrong, other than I don’t think Luminae food is worth paying extra for . 

Lumanie is different as it is allowed, if there is room in the restaurant, but can also be denied if the Matre de feels it would impact service negatively for the other Retreat guests and pay the extra fee for each guest.  

• Like 3

If you witness a bad interaction, if you're capable of taking action, inject yourself into the interaction in a calming manner.  Don't take sides or accuse anyone yet, initially just say something like "we're all adults here, no need to raise our voices, what seems to be the problem?".  Will this defuse the infuse the interaction 100% of the time?  No, but odds are it will shorten the interaction, at least you did everything you could vs just sitting there and the crew greatly appreciates it.  Also remember that someone who's berating the crew probably doesn't care about the rules and doesn't feel shame

While the premise of venting and treating the crew good was well intended, folks just need to realize that people can be "wired" differently and there are simply bad apples out there.  There was just a passenger fight on a Regent ship (yes you read that correctly) where details were sketchy but the video shows 3 or 4 men who appear to be in law enforcement based on the techniques they're using, pin down another man

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

Lumanie is different as it is allowed, if there is room in the restaurant, but can also be denied if the Matre de feels it would impact service negatively for the other Retreat guests and pay the extra fee for each guest.  

I explained that to my sister, we always stay in suites and totally understand the way Luminae works . 

Edited by George C

Unfortunately, if you work with the public, you will sooner or later run into an ungrateful and usually sarcastic individual. In my 25+ yrs as an ER/Trauma RN I will always remember the "gentleman" who needed and an IV and pain medication. When I came into his cubicle, I was yelled at for not being quicker, in our 100 bed ER. I informed him of my order for IV and pain medication. He informed me that I could never get an IV placement on him because "you're only a nurse" and if I was any good at anything I would have become a doctor. He demanded anesthesia for IV placement. He reluctantly allowed me one stick, which of course went into place immediately but he told me "you're just lucky." He then started screaming as to how long it would take me to get his pain medication, which of course, I had with me and gave slowly and correctly. He informed me that I should have pushed the pain medication in quickly, which of course would have caused him to vomit!

No matter where I am, on a ship or in a store or restaurant, I treat the staff/servers with the upmost respect because, they deserve it!

• Like 8