Posted on Another Site...Ruby Princess Hits Dock in SF

Jaymuxman

12 hours ago, trbarton said:

I’m curious from your stateroom would you have violated the Jones Act?  If you were the captain what would have been your decision for a 7 day cruise?

Moot point. A ship can't knowingly sail an itinerary that violates the PVSA, even if they're willing to pay the PVSA fine for every passenger on board. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, broberts said:

Why? Offering an explanation for scheduling decisions would be a non trivial undertaking requiring a massive amount of background. More importantly, it would not silence the questioning. Nor would it end the second guessing. 

Not that difficult: "With our expected departure date/time, we are only able to make one Alaskan port plus one foreign (Canadian) port, as required by US law, and still return to SFO on the date originally scheduled."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest Bronston
10 hours ago, memoak said:

Passengers do not control the port schedule. I would be thrilled with a free 7 day cruise. When we were in a hurricane in 2001 for 32 hours we received zero compensation 

on the contrary!

Hapag Lloyd, on certain cruises, allows the passengers…..while at sea, to vote on differing routes/destinations. Majority vote wins.

Guest Bronston
1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Not that difficult: "With our expected departure date/time, we are only able to make one Alaskan port plus one foreign (Canadian) port, as required by US law, and still return to SFO on the date originally scheduled."

Well stated!

2 hours ago, Crystabel said:

We were on this cruise, and missing those ports was a huge disappointment, but we did blame the cruise line or the ship. Receiving the FCC was a welcomed surprise and not expected. Our captain went into great detail more than once on why certain ports were missed, which we appreciated, but that didn’t stop some passengers from continuing to complain. 

I assume you meant "did not blame"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bronston said:

on the contrary!

Hapag Lloyd, on certain cruises, allows the passengers…..while at sea, to vote on differing routes/destinations. Majority vote wins.

Good reason not to sail on that line.

2 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Moot point. A ship can't knowingly sail an itinerary that violates the PVSA, even if they're willing to pay the PVSA fine for every passenger on board. 

Thank you. Will people EVER stop referring to the Jones Act when they mean the PVSA?

SMH

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bronston said:

on the contrary!

But, Hapag Lloyd does not allow the passengers to choose itineraries that are illegal or impossible to achieve.

• Like 5

Guest Bronston

HL gives passengers a choice between 4-5 destinations/ports. Majority wins.

it is without question that HP is the premier cruise line when defined by luxury.

If passengers wanted maximum time in ports, they should have chosen a one way Vancouver/ Whittier itinerary.  Minimum amount of sea time.

Seattle requires sea time to get to first port/and return

San Francisco requires a couple of sea DAYs to get to their first port/and return.

They gave up itinerary for convenience, air fare, and for more days on the Ruby.

If Princess offered a ride on the Grand Princess from San Pedro, I would have jumped on the opportunity.  Forget the ports.  Love the ship and sea days.  But, alas, I am in the minority.

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

If passengers wanted maximum time in ports, they should have chosen a one way Vancouver/ Whittier itinerary.  Minimum amount of sea time.

San Francisco requires a couple of sea DAYs to get to their first port/and return.

They gave up itinerary for convenience, air fare, and for more days on the Ruby.

If Princess offered a ride on the Grand Princess from San Pedro, I would have jumped on the opportunity.  Forget the ports.  Love the ship and sea days.  But, alas, I am in the minority.

We did the 12 nights R/T from LA to Alaska with a port stop in Vancouver to satisfy the PVSA on Emerald Princess, because it was convenient.  It wasn't enough Alaska, so we did a 14 night R/T from Vancouver Voyage of the Glaciers. Hit a few ports twice so we weren't tied down to only one excursion choice. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bronston said:

on the contrary!

Not sure if these are offered anymore.  In any case, the cruises originated from non-USA ports.

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am with you … they don’t have to call at any ports as far as I’m concerned.  I think the days at a sea offer such gorgeous scenery.  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I am with you … they don’t have to call at any ports as far as I’m concerned.  I think the days at a sea offer such gorgeous scenery.  

Coming back from Moorea to San Pedro we had 8 sea days in a row. The 28 day cruise had 18 sea days in all. We enjoyed it very much.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Coming back from Moorea to San Pedro we had 8 sea days in a row. The 28 day cruise had 18 sea days in all. We enjoyed it very much.

I may even have enjoyed Moorea more than I have loved my sea days.  
We met the kindest family there .. half Tahitian and and half Swiss.  One of the bothers is an actually blonde .. his real name was Reggie but they called him Blan Blan.  Him and his brother William and sister, Solange, took us everywhere and made us part of their family.  We even got to go to their house and meet their parents.  Oh, I just love the people of Moorea.  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Thrak said:

That is why e love the Hawaii cruises from Vancouver or Seattle. Lots and lots of sea days 

• Like 2

My "best" Alaskan cruise was on the Coral Princess.  LA to Vancouver to Whittier to Vancouver with 2 beautiful clear days in Glacier Bay.  Too bad I had to fly home from Vancouver.  Second best was on the Grand from LA to Alaska to LA.  

I do feel for those on the Ruby with a abbreviated Alaskan Cruise.  I thought the compensation was generous.  Reminds me of the Grand Princess to Hawaii in December 2015.  She had a small contained fire outside of Hilo Bay.  Was not allowed to port.  She limped to HNL where she sat for 3 days.  One port cruise.  

Those that decided to get off were put up in a hotel and flown home with 100% refund.  Those that decided to ride her back to California got 100% returned and a free cruise.  The Cruise Director and his staff did a remarkable job of keeping them entertained.  Best part was the empty ship!  

I'll take any one of those redirected cruises.  I am sure Princess/Coast Guard would not allow her to sail if she were not sea worthy.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

My "best" Alaskan cruise was on the Coral Princess.  LA to Vancouver to Whittier to Vancouver with 2 beautiful clear days in Glacier Bay.  Too bad I had to fly home from Vancouver.  Second best was on the Grand from LA to Alaska to LA.  

Now that I have found one can do a Princess transfer to Seattle airport I doubt I will ever again fly into or out of Vancouver.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Now that I have found one can do a Princess transfer to Seattle airport I doubt I will ever again fly into or out of Vancouver.

Better yet, try quick coach.com to Bellingham.  I almost hate to give up that info because I enjoy my non-filled flights back home, but wow!  The bus takes you right from Canada Place to the BLI airport (or SeaTac).  It’s clean, it’s on time, it has a bathroom on the bus ..

love this option!  Of course, I have family in Bellingham so always great to go get lunch and a visit before our late afternoon flight back home on our nonstop Southwest or Allegiant. 

• Like 2

@lstone19:

From signature text: 

"-- Larry

(screen name is "el"-stone19, not "eye"-stone19)

".

If you ask CC Admin to alter your handle to "LStone19", it would remove any confusion or need for explanation.  Didn't know if you might know that.  (At one time my handle had a small "s" and I asked them to fix it).

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

Better yet, try quick coach.com to Bellingham.  I almost hate to give up that info because I enjoy my non-filled flights back home, but wow!  The bus takes you right from Canada Place to the BLI airport (or SeaTac).  It’s clean, it’s on time, it has a bathroom on the bus ..

love this option!  Of course, I have family in Bellingham so always great to go get lunch and a visit before our late afternoon flight back home on our nonstop Southwest or Allegiant. 

🤫

Edited by that
  • Haha 1