How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

2 hours ago, difranco said:

The Kray’s wore sharp suits and would have met the strict SS formal dress code. Times have moved on and formal needs to evolve into upmarket, stylish and on trend. With the extra capacity to fill, formal will become optional on all cruise’s, irrespective of length. After all, behaviour and manners are more important than a tie.

💯- this definition allows those who want to be spiffy that option while being inclusive to others as well. Seems as thought, logically, this makes the most people happy.

21 minutes ago, RonWL said:

Well, actually there are "suggestions."

Clothing Suggestions – Shipboard Attire

Shipboard attire ranges from casual to formal. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts. Shoes should be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, pants, blouses, skirts and casual dresses for ladies; open-neck shirts and slacks for gentlemen are appropriate. On informal evenings, ladies usually wear dresses or pantsuits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for ladies is an evening gown or cocktail dress; gentlemen wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin on board Silver Spirit, Kaiseki on board Muse, Moon and Dawn. Dining at The Grill and Spaccanapoli is optional casual all nights. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required. Sailings of 9 days or less typically feature 1 formal night, while longer voyages usually have 2-3 formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below provides a basic guideline to assist in packing the proper attire.

Please note: On 7-day sailings, the formal night is always optional; guests may choose to dress informally, but a jacket is required for gentlemen.

Evening Dress Code*   
Number of Cruise Days -> Formal -> Informal -> Casual
4 -> 1 -> 2 -> 1
5 -> 1 -> 3 -> 1
6 -> 1 -> 3 -> 2
7 -> 1 -> 3 -> 3
8 -> 1 -> 4 -> 3
9 -> 1 -> 5 -> 3
10 -> 2 -> 5 -> 3
11 -> 2 -> 6 -> 3
12 -> 2 -> 6 -> 4
13 -> 2 -> 7 -> 4
14 -> 3 -> 7 -> 4
15 -> 3 -> 8 -> 4
16 -> 3 -> 8 -> 5
17 -> 3 -> 9 -> 5
18 -> 3 -> 10 -> 5
19 -> 3 -> 10 -> 6
20 -> 3 -> 11 -> 6

*This information is for your guidance only and is subject to change.

Ah the term suggestions, I appreciate that. Maybe this is precisely why the Moon leadership is choosing to not be strict. Too much headache!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drkitkat123 said:

seriously, in this day and age, a tie should have no place, in relation to behavior, manners, appropriate dress etc etc. They are a total anachronism...

Looked at in practical terms, so then would be a collared shirt.

Dress is definitely culturally determined worldwide, and within each, there are subcultures.  In 'my' subculture, even my twenty year old grandson wears a jacket and tie at nicer restaurants (and the required collared shirt on the golf course).

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

"They are a total anachronism..."

What, like men's spats? Women's bustles?

I think you should maybe dial back your hyperbole when you use the phrase, "total anachronism," regarding an article of clothing readily available both online and in brick-and-mortar stores.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, no1talks said:

I think you should maybe dial back your hyperbole when you use the phrase, "total anachronism," regarding an article of clothing readily available both online and in brick-and-mortar stores.

good point - apologies

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, no1talks said:

Thanks,I knew I had forgotten to pack something.

I have the Spats in my case now.

• Haha 1

I like to obey rules.  So, I have a question - I have several hiking tours booked (through Silversea) for an upcoming cruise.  My hiking clothes are not what I would call 5 star resort sport casual.  They are kind of "rough".  Does that mean I shouldn't where my hiking clothes to breakfast before my tour?  Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

I like to obey rules.  So, I have a question - I have several hiking tours booked (through Silversea) for an upcoming cruise.  My hiking clothes are not what I would call 5 star resort sport casual.  They are kind of "rough".  Does that mean I shouldn't where my hiking clothes to breakfast before my tour?  Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Of course you wear them to breakfast if you are going hiking afterwards.  “Resort casual” is the suggested attire for wearing around the ship on sea days or after hiking.

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Of course you wear them to breakfast if you are going hiking afterwards.  “Resort casual” is the suggested attire for wearing around the ship on sea days or after hiking.

Makes sense!  Thank you.

1 hour ago, jjs217 said:

No. Wear them

Regarding this entire "dress code" saga, this reminds me of what a British chap said a while ago- "Much ado about nothing." Just go on the cruise and enjoy your holiday. We are boarding the Silver Nova on 8-21-23 and the last thing that we are concerned about is the dress code and what other people are wearing. It is time to get over this and move on with our lives. Happy sailing!!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jjs217 said:

As others have stated, yes, you may wear your touring attire to breakfast. Actually, daytime on board is always casual. Whether it is the Caribbean or the Med, Alaska or Northern Europe, I am always wearing casual attire during the day. So, yes, wear those hiking clothes to breakfast🙂

1 hour ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Regarding this entire "dress code" saga, this reminds me of what a British chap said a while ago- "Much ado about nothing." Just go on the cruise and enjoy your holiday. We are boarding the Silver Nova on 8-21-23 and the last thing that we are concerned about is the dress code and what other people are wearing. It is time to get over this and move on with our lives. Happy sailing!!

Thank you!  Now I have permission to wear my wife-beater shirt, ball cap, thong underwear, and flip flops to dinner!!  I'm glad to know I won't bother anyone...  I was worried.

40 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

"Thank you!  Now I have permission to wear my wife-beater shirt, ball cap, thong underwear, and flip flops to dinner!!  I'm glad to know I won't bother anyone...  I was worried."

Don't forget, you can vigorously pick your teeth, at table, after the meal. 😄

(Can spitoons be far behind?? Talk about going 'old school' yikes!) 😉

2 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Here! Here! My goodness, reading this entire thread makes me worried about the friendless of the average passenger on board. Behind the keyboard there seems to be a whole lot of judgemental types. Never cruised with Silversea before and also never seen such wild posts about dress codes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Thank you!  Now I have permission to wear my wife-beater shirt, ball cap, thong underwear, and flip flops to dinner!!  I'm glad to know I won't bother anyone...  I was worried.

Don't forget a pair of socks to drape over a chair back in the lounge to "reserve" your spot! 😉

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

Never cruised with Silversea before and also never seen such wild posts about dress codes. 

Going on the Silver Shadow on August 14 - our first with Silversea.  I started this thread, and I got my answer to the immediate question I presented, but I agree that the "wild posts" here are very worrisome.  For us, the experience of travelling is bound very closely to our experience with our fellow travelers.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rothko1 said:

That is great that you will be wearing that- what ever floats your boat! I tend to judge people by what is under their skin and not what is on top of their skin. Bon Voyage and I hope you are on one of my SS cruises!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, RonWL said:

Going on the Silver Shadow on August 14 - our first with Silversea.  I started this thread, and I got my answer to the immediate question I presented, but I agree that the "wild posts" here are very worrisome.  For us, the experience of travelling is bound very closely to our experience with our fellow travelers.

I think you will find that a very small percentage of SS cruises actually post on Cruise Critic. After many cruises on SS, I have found most passengers are very nice people. As most of us know, one of the problems with the internet, social media and online posting, people will type things that they would never say to your face or on the phone. In my business world, I would always rather communicate in person or on the phone, but that is just me.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tinaincc said:

Here! Here! My goodness, reading this entire thread makes me worried about the friendless of the average passenger on board. Behind the keyboard there seems to be a whole lot of judgemental types. Never cruised with Silversea before and also never seen such wild posts about dress codes. 

Aw, heck ... this ain't nuthin compared to similar discussions in the threads of some other lines.  These SS folk are positively tame by comparison!

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, canderson said:

Aw, heck ... this ain't nuthin compared to similar discussions in the threads of some other lines.  These SS folk are positively tame by comparison!

Yeah, pop over to the Cunard board and really play with the big kids 😂

• Haha 3

On 8/1/2023 at 5:37 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

You have found a rather broad brush to describe people who prefer not to dress to the nines on vacation.  Sorry to hear your statistical cohort of the poorly dressed have such bad manners.  

There isn’t really a dress code on the SS website but that verbiage is used on the daily fact sheets so there could be quite a few pax who don’t realize they’re actually the dreaded “rule-breakers” until they’re onboard.  I doubt very seriously they all have poor manners or behavior nor do they break all rules.  On the other hand, boy, do I know some insanely rich, well-dressed but highly obnoxious people who truly think rules don’t apply.  

There is absolutely a dress code on SS website. https://www.silversea.com/travel-informations/general-information.html

very easy to find, but people Pay tens of thousands and then complain there are formal nights. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lilant said:

There is absolutely a dress code on SS website. https://www.silversea.com/travel-informations/general-information.html

very easy to find, but people Pay tens of thousands and then complain there are formal nights. 

All under the category of packing suggestions and clothing guidelines with a lot of soft language.  The one mention of dress code has an asterisk that explains ”for your guidance only” with the only real hardline being jackets required ship-wide after dinner.  None of the language seems to justify the sometimes harsh criticism spewed by those who feel the “guidelines” have not been followed 100%.

3 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

All under the category of packing suggestions and clothing guidelines with a lot of soft language.  The one mention of dress code has an asterisk that explains ”for your guidance only” with the only real hardline being jackets required ship-wide after dinner.  None of the language seems to justify the sometimes harsh criticism spewed by those who feel the “guidelines” have not been followed 100%.

Yep:

I remain amazed by those who carry on about the SS dress "code"

1. there is no dress code, only suggestions
  2. it seems that few passengers know or care about it
  3. it seems there is minimal enforcement anyway
  • Like 3

On 8/3/2023 at 3:20 AM, tinaincc said:

I'm someone who gets 'dressed up' happily, but am also getting that vibe

• Like 2