why does celebrity refuse to honor the elite 2 hour happy hour the first night of all sailings?

retired dude

I have often wondered why they cannot honor the elite benefit on the first night of the cruise by doing the 5-7 happy hour in the lounges...just a thought...Surely they have the necessary info from the sail pass in their bar computer system by then, as the passenger has been onboard for hours prior...Hope it is not another cost cutting thing.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, retired dude said:

I have often wondered why they cannot honor the elite benefit on the first night of the cruise by doing the 5-7 happy hour in the lounges...just a thought...Surely they have the necessary info from the sail pass in their bar computer system by then, as the passenger has been onboard for hours prior...Hope it is not another cost cutting thing.

Not hardly, since it’s been that way since to the very beginning of the happy hour program.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, retired dude said:

why they cannot honor the elite benefit on the first night of the cruise 

There's nothing to "honor".  The first night is just not part of the benefit.

Edited by jwlane
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

My guess is that it goes back to when the happy hour was held in a venue and needed to be staffed. The first day of a cruise has so much extra work that they didn't have the staff to offer it. Now that it's done at the actual bars that wouldn't apply much any more. But if they never did it before why would they need to start now?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, retired dude said:

Hope it is not another cost cutting thing.

Sheesh, It is not another cost cutting thing. They did not have the Elite 5-7  hour on the first night from the very begining which was many years ago. They never had it the first night so there is nothing they are not honoring. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BettyCruiser said:

My guess is that it goes back to when the happy hour was held in a venue and needed to be staffed. The first day of a cruise has so much extra work that they didn't have the staff to offer it. Now that it's done at the actual bars that wouldn't apply much any more. But if they never did it before why would they need to start now?

That is the reason.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BettyCruiser said:

I thought it was because they used to have a Captain’s Welcome Aboard event for everyone which included free champagne, etc., so it was considered superfluous.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, basenji56 said:

One of life's great mysteries.  Royal gives the 4-5 free drink Diamond/Diamond Plus benefit every day of the cruise--including first and last days.

I do hope X will go for this procedure one day.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mark_K said:

I thought it was because they used to have a Captain’s Welcome Aboard event for everyone which included free champagne, etc., so it was considered superfluous.  

exactly!  Are they not having that anymore?

It was understandable when the first night Elite Happy Hour wasn’t held due to staffing concerns on turnaround day.  Now, it just makes no sense.  It could be a small change to benefit their loyal cruisers in the sea of other changes which don’t. Listen up, Celebrity.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mark_K said:

That never happened on the first night - at least, not in my experience.  That was and is, several nights/afternoons into the cruise.  And quite a while back, they did away with the 'sparkling wine and chocolates for all' Captain event in the theater - I remember that, how the Captain and officers would be in the theater on a designated evening, when it was still "formal night", and at the doors of the theater, bubbly and chocolates were given to everyone entering, was very nice.  

1 hour ago, Islander500 said:

It was understandable when the first night Elite Happy Hour wasn’t held due to staffing concerns on turnaround day.  Now, it just makes no sense.  It could be a small change to benefit their loyal cruisers in the sea of other changes which don’t. Listen up, Celebrity.  

It was never held on turnaround day.  Has/had nothing to do with staffing.

Being Elite on Celebrity (for many years) I never knew about this (shows how much I pay attention LOL) so can anyone tell me what drinks are included in this "happy 2 hours" - sailing on Equinox on Saturday so wondering if it is just wine/beer or can I order a martini and hubby get his Manhattan - and do you just go to any bar and show them your card?

Thanks everyone 

1 hour ago, CruisinBanka said:

Unfortunately it is not in Celebrity’s DNA to add benefits especially lately. 😩

X's DNA is transitioning to RCI.  If anyone cares, email the exec office and while you're at it, request that Maine lobster replaces the Spiny lobster

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lexmiller said:

That was and is, several nights/afternoons into the cruise. 

And the happy hour drinks were still available. On another evening they held the event with senior staff. On that evening like the embarkation evening no happy hour. 

1 hour ago, Piaa said:

so can anyone tell me what drinks are included in this "happy 2 hours" - sailing on Equinox on Saturday so wondering if it is just wine/beer or can I order a martini and hubby get his Manhattan - and do you just go to any bar and show them your card?

Not premium alcohol. Shelf alcholol. So no Bombay or Tankeray in martinis for example. Maybe Beefeater or something like that. Wine I think the house brands. They will give you a list in a letter in your cabin. 

1 hour ago, Piaa said:

Being Elite on Celebrity (for many years) I never knew about this (shows how much I pay attention LOL) so can anyone tell me what drinks are included in this "happy 2 hours" - sailing on Equinox on Saturday so wondering if it is just wine/beer or can I order a martini and hubby get his Manhattan - and do you just go to any bar and show them your card?

Thanks everyone 

See post #7

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Not premium alcohol. Shelf alcholol. So no Bombay or Tankeray in martinis for example. Maybe Beefeater or something like that. Wine I think the house brands. They will give you a list in a letter in your cabin. 

I have never seen the list to be delivered to the cabin. It is however, available at all of the bars which do the happy hour almost every bar does it except for the world class bar and perhaps one or two others on a ship. Your instructions will be in the state room. Here is the menu.

54F1D8D2-D570-4A30-90DC-38C9E2DF301A.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

X's DNA is transitioning to RCI.  If anyone cares, email the exec office and while you're at it, request that Maine lobster replaces the Spiny lobster

Good. Then Celebrity will be adding a Elite Lounge,  hosting HH (snacks and drinks) in the new EL,  diamond and above drinks (4,5,6) loaded on our Seapass cards to enjoy anytime, including embarkation day and in the new EL or at other bars. 😂 🍻

Edited by doghog
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4