Hey Carnival! If you are going to hike up the price of cruises, why don't you....

Buckeye_Siggy

Make sure that the gratuities are now part of the new final price (port charges, taxes, etc).

https://www.reuters.com/article/travel-cruise-value/cruise-operators-plan-to-hike-prices-as-costs-rise-demand-swells-idINL4N38R3H6

If the prices are going up, they might as well include this added expense in.

Quit playing this shell game once and for all.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Buckeye_Siggy said:

Make sure that the gratuities are now part of the new final price (port charges, taxes, etc).

https://www.reuters.com/article/travel-cruise-value/cruise-operators-plan-to-hike-prices-as-costs-rise-demand-swells-idINL4N38R3H6

Carnival has never included gratuities in the price.  Not sure why you refer to it as a shell game.  When you book a cruise it clearly shows the gratuity amount and an option to pre-pay or not.  And the article you posted shows how cruising is still significantly cheaper than land based vacations so as those have increased why wouldn’t we expect cruises to increase?  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Carnival has never included gratuities in the price.  Not sure why you refer to it as a shell game.  

Many, many people have no idea that they will be charged gratuities until they are on the ship. I have heard numerous people at customer service asking what the charges are for. Including gratuities would eliminate the confusion and long lines at customer service.

• Like 5

Traditionally gratuities have never been included. It is nothing new. No need to upset the majority.

I doubt most of the people in "long lines" at guest services are first time cruisers.

Even "luxury lines" are unbundling services like room service.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, silvercrikhix said:

…. quit cheapening the experience. Enough already. Value has been eroded more and more. There’s been a lot of changes in only 10 years. None good for the cruiser. Cut after cut after cut.  

Completely disagree!  So many things have been ADDED to the experience (restaurants, attractions, features, etc…) that millions of cruisers love!  You can’t say that all changes have been bad…

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Cruise lines are not immune to rising costs. Just like everything else. Why pick on the cruise lines?

I agree. All cruise lines prices have skyrocketed. That’s what happens when your business is shut down for a couple years. I’ve really enjoyed some of the improvements like adding Rudi’s Sea Grill, Shaq’s Chicken, Chibang, and Emeril’s. I’m eating jambalaya at Emeril’s as I write this. Which reminds me of another much needed improvement, WiFi. The Starlink wifi is so much better. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Buckeye_Siggy said:

While I understand where you are coming from and have no love for Carnival's "gratuities" game, I would not want them to include gratuities in the base price. The reason is that in a couple of years they would just come back with, "We are now allowing guests to easily express their appreciation for our hard working crews by automatically adding gratuities to your sign and sail account."

In other words they would just bring them back later, without reducing the base price.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Buckeye_Siggy said:

Royal is talking going the other way. AFTER you are booked and locked in prices they sent out emails they want to reprice all my cruises going to bahamas. Port fees went up. $11 and $16 so far. Nickle and diming and really wrong imo. 

If carnival is eating the increased port fees, lucky for you.

I also happened to see a blog about princess changing some medallion thing and now to get what you thought you booked you have to upgrade your plan and pay extra for a meal in some restaurant. Retroactive. 

I'm unhappy they can change prices retroactively. Higher .. of course in their favor. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

f carnival is eating the increased port fees, lucky for you.

Has Carnival actually made a definitive announcement yet?

Last I heard was “they were opposed to the increases” but nothing about what they proposed to do about them.

3 hours ago, Drew B 58 said:

Completely disagree!  So many things have been ADDED to the experience (restaurants, attractions, features, etc…) that millions of cruisers love!  You can’t say that all changes have been bad…

‘Please excuse my mistake in wording, None should,  of course be replaced  with ‘very few and far between being’. Much more has been discontinued then has been added, IMO, which is the only one that matters. 

Prices  only going one way - higher. 

Cruising is still very affordable but as the prices go up it is possible all inclusive become better options as you do get substantially bigger accommodations and properties with them , all with a similar experience and less nickel and diming. 

The only issue I have with their pay and gratuity is that they pay little, work the staff very hard and tie the bundle to the tips they let people remove. The staff is usually from poorer countries without much  opportunity and don’t have the options of a different occupation. The staff is working harder as they have less (especially housekeeping) than before Covid and not making much more. I have suspicions when they raise gratuities the staff is not getting that big raise. 

Well anyways these great debates are endless and usually not very fruitful or informative 

• Like 2

Prices have definitely gone higher. My Tampa cruise on the Pride March 24, 2024  8K balcony I paid $1817 with prepaid gratuities in April 2022. Same room category same cruise is now $2828 which is an increase of 55 percent in 15 months! 

As far as gratuities go, I think Carnival's current method is best. When you are compelled, it is no longer a gratuity. I think having the option to remove keeps the workers on their toes to provide good service as most surely do! Besides this issue, I am guessing there would be some tax consequences for Carnival if it became a mandatory charge. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

Many, many people have no idea that they will be charged gratuities until they are on the ship. I have heard numerous people at customer service asking what the charges are for. Including gratuities would eliminate the confusion and long lines at customer service.

Those people do not read the info supplied before booking.  That is on them....

• Like 4

Why would they do that?  The industry standard is gratuities are optional just like they are on land.  Including gratuities in the published prices only puts you at a disadvantage to the competition and takes away the choice from the customer.

• Like 1

I actually prefer gratuities not being part of the pricing.  There have been times that I have had to adjust my gratuities for poor service.   Not often, but it has happened in my 50 cruises.  I would be very upset if I had to "pay" for services rendered and had no control if I received poor service.  That's like saying...... just go ahead and mandate an 18% gratuity on my check every time I eat out regardless of the service I receive.  Also, think about this.  If ALL those staff members KNEW they were going to get their gratuity (because it was already paid in the sailing price), where is the motivation to provide that exceptional customer service?  I guarantee services would start going down hill in a hurry.

As far as singling out "Carnival" in the heading and prices going up, and also comments about Carnival charging more and more and things getting less and less.  There are numerous debates on this, but my personal opinion is (as someone who has cruised for like 25 years).  I certainly can NOT expect that I am going to receive the same services all the time over 25 years, and that prices will never increase.

Things are going to change over time.... and most who complain are comparing it to "yester year."  I would be unhappy if my cruise experience was exactly the same as it was 25 years ago.  Yes some things have gone by the wayside, but lots of new things have also been added.  And to expect costs not to be high now is just ridiculous.  Have you been to the grocery store lately?  Bought Gas?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stick93 said:

I have suspicions when they raise gratuities the staff is not getting that big raise. 

Why would you think that? Carnival has explicitly said that all gratuities go directly to crew members. If that isn't the case, that would be fraud. 

8 day from Baltimore (Sept '23)
priced at more then 8,000 dollars for a suite
$2,900 for an interior
$4,800 for a balcony 

This is on an older ship (Legend), 2 people

Carnival will price themselves out of the market if they continue this path

Edited by Moparfiend
added inside and balcony room costs for reference
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Why would you think that? Carnival has explicitly said that all gratuities go directly to crew members. If that isn't the case, that would be fraud. 

Carnival says a lot of things and letting people remove gratuities seems to suggest that they are not serious about constant wages. Raising the tip means more people remove - it’s reverse supply and demand.